Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Harriet Dinner (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 29, 2007 on NBC

• Cliches abound, marring otherwise good stories as the Darius/Simon storyline takes a bad turn too.

Aaron Sorkin is an incredibly talented writer, we all know that. So it hurts immensely that he is bringing himself down to such ridiculous cliches as in this episode:

*Danny and JOrdan locked on a rooftop.
    *Matt finding out Luke wasn't the other bidder and Harriet fighting with him over it. *Tom lying over his date and getting found out about it.
    *The date TOm didn't want fawning over him. And the snake? Oh man...that was just too, too ridiculous.

The thing is, the show can work. I was annoyed as hell at the last ep when Jordan tells Danny that she won't respond but Danny says he won't stop, which is just stalker behavior. But now they really talk about it with her bringing up his problems with his behavior, which is good. I just wish there were better circumstances to do it.

As for the Simon/Darius story, I liked how it started, Darius standing up for himself. But now it looks like Sorkin thinks Simon is the one in the right, that Darius is "Uncle Tom" for not wanting to do black sketches which is just wrong. Masi's cameo was good and I liked how they used one of the "joke" takes as the real thing over Harriet's objections. I thought that once they got off the soapbox and focused on characters, things would improve but now it just shows how weakly fleshed out the characters are. Hopefully this can improve but I'm still disapointed Sorkin has come down to such trite stuff.