Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Harriet Dinner (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 29, 2007 on NBC

• I love this episode for the same reason I love this series. It throws you into what appears to be another normal (i.e. hilariously hectic) day at Studio 60 and yet they still manage to throw yet another curve ball out from left field straight at you!

In this episode, we see where the promise Jack Rudolph made to Zhang Tao actually leads and it is the funniest part of this episode which is why I'll focus on it. For those of you who are just tuning in, in last weeks episode, Jack asked Zhang for a favor: to cancel the deal NBS is about to make with him regarding Macao. In exchange for this favor, Jack told Zhang that he will get Zhang's daughter, Kim, to not leave Julliard (she's a viola prodigy) and start doing improvisational comedy much to the horror of her father who is very proud of her. Her we get to see Jack lay it all out to Tom Jeter, whom, we all know, Kim Tao has a major crush on. Jack tells Tom to take Kim as a date to the awards banquet, where Harriet is getting an award on Thursday, where he will not touch her in a sexual manner and tell her that a life in comedy is a life of rejection, unemployment, blah, blah, blah. But none of this goes according to plan. Tom sees Kim at the awards banquet but UH-OH!!! Kim is not the cute, little 20 year-old she was whence we last saw her. Now she is wearing red lipstick, did something with her hair although I'm not sure what it was exactly, and she's wearing a sexy-ass dress that clearly accentuates her cleavage, of which she has plenty of. Needless to say, Julia Ling, the wonderful actress that plays Kim Tao, is Smokin' Hot! In her case, that phrase ought to be trademarked. Here are two quotes from the episode which I got of the quotes page here at TV.com for this episode. Tom: Kim, you're twenty years-old, right?
    Kim: Uh huh.
    Tom: Well, just 'cause I'm a little responsible for you tonight, I wanted to tell you that the legal drinking age in California is twenty-one.
    Kim: What's the age for taking you back to my hotel room and dancing for you?
    Simon: Eighteen.
    Tom: Thank you. And then theres:

Jack: Hi, Tom.
    Tom: Tell him I'm being a gentleman!
    Kim: He's an animal.
    Tom: I'm not an animal!
    Jack: Progress report.
    Tom: I'm doing my best!
    Jack: Your best isn't going to do it, Tom. You're going to need to do somebody else's best. At this point I was laughing pretty hard. Kim goes on to say to Tom, “Let's talk about that cute little ass of yours.” at which point I just started laughing so hard I almost cried. This is one of the best episodes of this series so far, right next to the pilot and s01e11 which is the episode where Wilson White gives his perfect monologue completely and totally dissing the FCC and their spineless ass. Whoo-hoo!!! That means you know it's good! Oh, by the way; all of this is happening while Matt and Jordan are stuck on the roof, Tom is lying to Lucy about why he can't make their date, and there's a poisonous viper on the loose in the studio. How do they do it?! Watch the episode. I gurantee, you're gonna like what you see ;)