Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Long Lead Story

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2006 on NBC

• "This is art, it is hard work And one friend said, too hard for me And the other said, if you will I will come again Because I found it hard I felt honoured" -from Howard Barker's The Bite of the Night

Can you imagine what the world would look like if all TV were this good? This smart? I mean, I realize it's naive to think that a single TV show could change the way people think about their world, but I'm confident that I'm not alone in wishing that life would have the good sense to imitate this art. I commend Aaron Sorkin, a man whose obvious talent with the pen (or the Mac, as it may be) I can only hope will challenge the big guns of mainstream television to realize that good writing is the path to creating compelling, three dimensional characters - not HDTV.

Also worthy of my boundless praise is the amazing cast, who together deliver some of the juiciest, most brazen performances I've seen on mainstream television. Every look, every word, and every gesture comes together in a divine arrangement that is almost tangled, knarled and beautiful enough to be called authentic.

"All this beauty... Aren't we lucky?" (Bernardo Bertolucci)