Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Long Lead Story

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2006 on NBC

• Another very good installment of what is quickly becoming a must-watch on my weekly schedule.

Was this the best episode so far? I don't know if I'll go that far, but I did enjoy it very much. I really enjoyed the way we were able to delve into the pasts of Harriet and Matt without going into some ridiculous flashback sequence via the reporter's questions. Too often showes rely on mundane "remember when" montages to give a character's history. Last night, we were able to enjoy a flashback that was every bit as revealing while at the same time being treated as if we are intelligent enough to follow along without pictures. Very refreshing. I loved Sting's appearance on the show. He is by far one of the greatest singers of his generation, and I'm always amazed at how he stretches himself musically. The dialogue at the end of the show between Matt and Harriet was very well done. It showed us all that there are obvious feelings still there, simmering just below the surface. Having "Fields of Gold" playing beneath the discussion only served to add to the emotional reparte. I'm anxious to see where things go when the reporter returns.