Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Long Lead Story

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2006 on NBC

• While some bits come off a tad arrogant, the great character development makes it click.

I touched on this a bit in the forum but I feel some parts of the show are Sorkin being a bit high and mighty. There's calling Studio 60 a major cultural thing (despite the fact we've yet to see any sketches that are funnier in a way SNL isn't). And that bit of the reporter saying that the show is what brings red and blue states together is a bit much too. Hopefully, that can fade.

Because the characters really work. Having the reporter act as a exposition device seemed bad but it worked great as we got to know more about Harriet and her past with Matt. I am hoping we get some flashback episodes showing more of them and how they developed. I was hoping for more of Lauren Graham, a true comic delight but it was interesting to see more of how the backstage parts of the show work and what goes into creating it. True, it'd be better if the sketches were funnier but this is the strength of the show and it works it well.

I also liked how they're finally showing that Jordan handles more than one show with NBS. The part of her refusing a reality show on moral grounds was a bit unrealistic but I liked the part of her trying to woo the writer and Danny gets him with one sentance. But Jack is good too with his reminding Jordan of the quote from a coach who hasn't won a playoff game in nine years. Overall, very good character moments that overwhelm the haughtiness the show can take. Keep that up and it can rebound more and really click like it should.