Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Long Lead Story

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2006 on NBC

• Let Albie Be Albie

First, a disclaimer: I want this show to succeed. I've been tracking it since it was first announced. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Sorkin fan. I own Sports Night, the first four seasons of The West Wing, and watch The American President and A Few Good Men on a regular basis. My criticisms of this episode aren't to be snobby or snide, but rather to see this show rise to level I know Sorkin is capable of.

This week's episode was easily the weakest thus far. While I admit that the Matt/Harriet stuff hasn't been mind-blowing, this episode just gave it way too much attention and it died under the weight. A much stronger path would have been to have the supporting cast keep trying to cover like Simon and Tom were trying to do. West Wing fans should remember the series of unfortunate events where Leo asked Sam to cover for a reporter, Sam confused Kurdistan and Kazakistan, and then Donna left behind her underwear. That was subplot, that was hilarious, that was just damn fine televsion. Why couldn't they do something like that here?

Also, the sketches aren't working. With Sports Night, it wasn't a big deal. Some will disagree, but if you've seen one episode of Sportscenter, you've seen them all. Only the numbers change. With The West Wing, legislation was always external. The laws went forth and we assume all went well with the world. But here, we're seeing the sketches and the sketches are bad. The Nic Cage: Couples Counselor was exactly the kind of sketch that shouldn't be praised. If Matt is such a brilliant writer, how come he's just taking an impression and trying to stretch it out? I'm hoping the show has a "Let Bartlet Be Bartlet" turning point where Matt realizes that his work has been subpar and changes everything up, but right now, the show lacks any forward momentum and it's lacking that divine spark of Sorkin's previous efforts. However, with the high-cost and low-ratings of the show, will the show even make it to this hypothetical turning point?