Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Long Lead Story

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2006 on NBC

• Now that the introductions have past, and the A.D.D. generation has chosen to change the channel, \"Studio 60\" proves its worthiness to the hype.

It\'s absolutely unfathomable to me that there are millions of people who would prefer to watch the unfortunate acting of David Caruso in a mindless conglomeration like CSI--one that seems to derive from any successful criminal show. Next up: Kevin Federline in CSI Salt Lake City.

As he has already proved with \"The West Wing\" and the strikingly similar \"Sports Night\" (whose fate I hope isn\'t shared by \"Studio 60\"), Aaron Sorkin is a genius with dialogue. And maybe that\'s the problem--he\'s not going to incessantly provide viewers with mindless entertainment as an escape from thought. He depicts real people (albeit rather talented ones), real emotions, and real stories (okay, so maybe a book on Jordan McDeere\'s sexual escapades wouldn\'t be a top seller). And real acting. And great music.
    My point: it\'s a great show. You may not have anybody save the world, and you may not get to see David Caruso\'s attempts to impersonate Dwayne \"The Rock\" Johnson, but you will be entertained by extremely likable (and unlikable) characters, and extremely interesting relationships. Real relationships. Ones that we can all relate to.

And if I haven\'t sold you yet--just watch the episode for Sting\'s acoustic \"Fields of Gold\" performance in the final minutes. It\'s rare to see a song fit so perfectly into the flow and feeling of the show.