Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Option Period

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 20, 2006 on NBC

• This review is brought to you by TV.Com. TV.Com, for all of your Television needs.

This show is exactly why I watch this series. The dialogue is top-notch, nothing better on TV right now. The dynamic between the cast members is outstanding. You actually believe that these people have known each other and worked with each other for years, not just 6 months. And the writing, especially in this episode, was fantastic. I truly enjoyed the constant bickering about product placement, while at the same time, the show was seemingly purposely putting in obvious product placement (the Mac computers, the Heinekin Beer) and I really enjoyed the not-so-subtle slams on SNL's "Tonight's musical guest brought to you by..." sponsorship. But it was the two side stories that really made me appreicate the show last night. I have been very cautious over where things were headed with the Harry. As a believer myself, I have been wary of the show becoming a platform to bash Christianity as intolerant and oppressive. And it certainly seemed to be headed that way over the last few weeks. And then when it was revealed that Harry was planning to pose for a skin mag, I feared that it was going to make Christians out to be hypocritical. But the exchange between Matt and Harry really impressed me. They were able to get to the heart of the matter in a way that allow Harry to maintain her belief system, while at the same time allow her to feel that being a Christian is important to some folks. I applaud the producers and writiers for doing this in today's TV culture.

The second side story - Ricky and Ron leaving - was almost poignant. It explains why the show has made an effor to introduce Lucy and Darius in the last few weeks. But the most important scene in the storyline was when Ron explained why he remains loyal to Ricky, and when Matt made a last ditch effort to help them by suggesting the sidekick character. Yes, Matt is egotistical and a control-freak, but he also does care about the product and about the people behind the scenes. His efforts, while starting out selfish and self-centered, truly turned to concern for the well-being of others.

I did pick up on the subtle (or not) shot at Tina Fey for leaving SNL to do a sitcom. It certainly wasn't coincidence that this storyline appeard on Studio 60. Although the timing certainly couldn't have been planned.

I have been, and continue to be impressed with the ability of the cast to bring out these different emotions, while at the same time maintaining the humor and pace of the show. Kudos to Studio 60.