Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Option Period

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 20, 2006 on NBC

• The show's rough patches continue as Sorkin continues to use Harriet as a stand-in for his ex-girlfriend.

Every time I want to love this show, it disapoints me. I am really getting tired of Harriet, a wonderful character, being used for Sorkin to get his feelings over Kirsten out. The whole thing of her wanting to pose was way drawn out but did have one moment where Tom tells her point-blank that she's the show's "cover" for getting out of trouble with Christian groups and her being hurt by it. Even in these rough patches, Sorkin's talents can show through which makes this so frustrating. The Ricky and Ron bit was expected but all it does is fuel Matt's ego that only he knows what's best for the show. Which wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact he's yet to write anything actually FUNNY! At least that female writer is kept who I like. The whole talk about the show's finances was what the series should have been doing, delving more into the backstage goings on rather than Sorkin getting on his soapbox. And the part of using the set billboards to sell advertising was actually clever. I want to really like this show but I'm also seeing it's not as good as it could be as long as Sorkin keeps pushing his ideas of what good TV is and keeps having Harriet be a stand-in for an ex-girlfriend. If he can get over those, the show can be what we've hoped it could be.