Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The West Coast Delay

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 09, 2006 on NBC

• Not a very good show

4.1
    A show based upon a sketch comedy show - you'd like to believe that the sketches that they show would be funny - but they're not. I liked the fact that they kept cutting into the west coast feed, but it just wasn't funny. They could've gotten the message across and still been irreverant.

Writers plagiarize and don't get fired? This is quite unbeliveable.

Matthew Perry is very good as always, but his jealousy was alittle over the top.

This episode still came across more like the West Wing rather than Sports Night - in that issues are incredibly urgent and can't wait to be addressed....they need to make the show move slower in this regard. I understand the creating a new, live, show everyweek can be quite chaotic - by the ancillary issues/calamaties get into the way of the show - in this episode it was the plagiarism issue and matt's silly jealousy.

I realize i'm in the minority as compared to most reviews and will probably get many disagrees - but please consider that the viewship for this show is lower than anticipated, and continues to decline - recognize that i'm someone that is trying to hang on, but it needs to get better to stay afloat.
  • "This is lame." Sadly, that sums up the punchline of this episode. Thankfully, we get R&R respect and Christine Lahti to make up for it.

7.1
    The score is high because even at his worst, Sorkin's dialouge shines. The bits of Matt and Harriet seemed a bit much, with the bat and him going to get a boot signed and all that. It was interesting that Matt was going to bring it to a head before he found her kissing that player. Hopefully this moves one way or the other soon.

Christine Lahti is always good and it was nice to see her here as the reporter. I get the feeling she and Danny are going somewhere and I for one would enjoy that. Danny needs someone to take that somewhat billegerint attitude down a bit. Slamming Ricky and Ron on a wall was a bit much.

Speaking of which, they finally get some respect here, sticking up for that writer and making it clear they're willing to take the fall for this. No doubt, this reminds Matt of how he left the show so it looks like the little cold war they've got will end soon.

The plot of the stolen joke was so perfect with everyone rushing and the legal mess and all that. I also liked Simon freaking out over inadvertedly doing someone else's work. But then they had to ruin it first by having them do it over to say who the comedian took it from, which was one thing. But then they wrap it around that it belonged to them all along, thus the entire crisis was for no reason. I'm sure Sorkin thought that was a funny bit, ironic and all but it just didn't work as well on the screen. Hopefully, this was just a brief misstep and we get back on the good stuff soon. But building up a crisis and then revealing it was all for nothing isn't good drama, it's bait and switch and doing that can mess up even a show as good as this.
  • Finally, the kind of episode I was waiting for!

According to several sources, the ratings seem to have stabilized, though at a much lower level than anticipated by NBC. The implication is that the previous episode stopped the bleeding. Ratings are usually more indicative of reaction to the previous episode, not the one that aired, so there’s even more reason to be hopeful. This was easily the best episode of the series since the pilot, and quite possibly, the best of the series so far.

One thing that is abundantly clear is the comfort level. This script screamed comfort with the characters and the premise. This, I believe, is what they should have been doing all along. There’s a lot more of the casual comedy that Sorkin is famous for, and any pacing issues seem to have been resolved. This episode has a lot to say about Matt and his neurotic personality, and the episode is all the better for it.

This is the first episode where Matt Perry worked for me. Previously, I don’t think his personality was shining through quite enough, but now I have a strong sense of his motivations, strengths, and weaknesses. He’s a professional with a gift, but he has a lot of confidence issues. He also seems to deal with those confidence issues with the mental equivalent of flailing. The result is a joy to behold.

If Matt is the neurotic one, then Danny is the quiet train wreck waiting to happen. He has the right kind of business sense, and he’s great in a crisis. But he also has some serious issues, especially when it comes to drugs and addiction. I’m waiting for the episode that will focus on his character exploration, because I suspect it will be very effective.

To use a common enough analogy to “West Wing”, Danny is coming across as a Leo figure, while Matt is definitely a Josh figure. The generational issues aren’t there, but the personalities are meshing and evolving in a similar way. This foundation is beginning to form the center around which the other characters can orbit. As I mentioned before, “West Wing” came forward with a powerful presence at the center from the very beginning: Martin Sheen’s portrayal of President Bartlet. It’s taking a little longer for Matt and Danny to serve the same function, but it’s definitely starting to happen.

The other major characters are also started to gel. They’re acting more like individuals and characters and less like mouthpieces, and that helps tremendously. The focus in this episode is on relationships and interactions, gaining and losing respect, and grace under pressure. There’s no time for speeches about politics or religion when the integrity of the entire production is at stake! The benefit is that the audience isn’t divided by the content. They can relate to people juggling relationship issues with work.

Similarly, this episode addresses the other major drawback of the previous episodes. This time around, the crisis at the heart of the episode makes a great deal of sense and the audience has little trouble recognizing why everyone is running around trying to make it all work. There’s a clearly defined deadline and a challenge to be met, and anyone can relate to that. What better way to demonstrate how talented this crew is then to show them meeting this challenge?

(As a sidenote: I also have a new podcast associated with my various reviews called “Velocity TV”. Current episodes cover “Studio 60”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://velocitytv.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • Great episode, good writing

This episode shows One of the more sour points in commedies: some material has already been shown before and what (in a \"reality\") would happends..

2 comments about the show:

1. Mr sorkin, isn\'t it time to change the opening sequence? it\'s still hard to know the actor names.

2. In Episode 3, Jack told Jordan that she will need to have a meeting with her lawyer, NBS\'s lawyer and they\'ll talk about what will be on Jordan\'s Ex boy friend\'s book. What happend to that? nothing on this episode..

All in all, great show!

Hetz
  • Keeping it consistent

I'll have to say that this one wasn't as good as the first two episodes but I still enjoyed it greatly. The problem with a new show is always how you flesh out characters without gumming up the writing. This was a good chance to give Ricky and Ron some backbone because otherwise they are just lame punchlines to a tired joke. I liked the Christine Lahti character a lot. I'm still quite amazed at how good Matthew Perry is on this show (I hated Friends.) Considering that 98% of TV shows are pitifully written cliche-fests, I am not going to criticize little things on a such a well written show as this.
  • Hard to follow the delay process but still great

Hard to follow how they were delaying the show but everything else was great. Loved that Ricky and Ron showed their true colors sticking up for the scared writer. Loved that Matt finally showed them some respect. What's her name from Chicago Hope did a great job as the reporter.
  • A pretty decent episode of Studio 60 overall, and it is definetly enough to keep people watching. While it wasn't my favorite episode thus far, it is a strong episode that is decently reccomended.

7.4
    I've pretty much liked this show from the beginning, and the concept is there. This is my first review of the show, but I have been pretty impressed. Matthew Perry is a good reason to watch this show, and he is good in this episode (as always). Some of the show seems a little unbelievable, but I enjoy watching this show, even though it's not my favorite show to watch during the fall season of shows. It was a kind of hit and miss episode, some aspects being filled with humor, while other's missing the target. However, it had some great parts in the show and I will continue to tune in next week. Overall, this is a decent episode, and the writing was on-key for the most part.
  • A solid episode that gets going later than normal but still satisfies.

Episode 4 of Studio 60 is a typically well written satirical look at life inside a majot studio.

Personally I found it a bit slow going initially, as the relationship between Matt and Harriet is explored further as she gets asked out by a big time Baseball pitcher. Forgive me if I don't know his name but as a Brit we don't really get the chance to follow the sport as much as I would like.

The plot of this episode focuses on a 90 slot Matt allows the writers to write. When they all struggle for ideas one person speaks up and suggests his idea to Ricky & Ron. They in turn take the suggestion to Matt, who after finding it funny agrees to place it in the show.

Meanwhile Martha O'Dell, a writer for Vanity Fair arrives at the studio do to a piece on them. Despite some anxiety at first she is allowed full access.

So the show airs and the writers segment is a big success, however Martha discovers the same material has been released onto the internet, time stamped a year ago.

The studio naturally panics as talks of law suits deafen the area. The idea to salavge the situation is to cut into the west coasts live feed and edit in an apology with the original comedian doing the piece.

However lady lick does not favour them as after the apology to the comedian is issued, they discover he didn't write the piece either.

After a lot more research and much to the relief of Ricky & Ron they discover the piece was originally written by a former colleague at Studio 60 writer.... no more law suit!!

After a slowish start, at least when compared to the previous 3 episodes, this one accelerates to attack speeds at a breath taking pace. With sharp writting and a real belief that the episode is going to be a disaster I ended up on the edge of my seat.
  • Matt and Danny make a late night tv show of steches.

The writing group has problems trying to think of one stech that is 90 secondsw long. Finally someone decides to pitch an idea in the room and everyone loves the filling stech of 90 seconds in length -- including Matt and Danny. A big shot woman of some magazine is at the thing and just watching it. She goes to a message board or forum sort of thing and shees that the same stechs is the same exact wording of a man who did stand up comedian a year ago. They reshoot the scene to find out that the guy who actually wrote it wrote it for ther show they are doing so they own the 90 second thing.
  • I liked the twist at the end.

I think for all the people who were crying "We need more character development," we got it in this episode. There was a ton of Matt/Harriett time, to the point where I said to my hubby halfway through, "Where's Danny?" because I realized we hadn't seen him yet. I love Christine Lahti, and hopefully she will become, if not a regular cast member, a character we see often, which it seems that they set her up to be, wandering around for a few more weeks writing her article.

I felt this episode didn't have as much witty dialogue perhaps as the previous episodes, since most of it was centered just around the relationship between Matt and Harriett, but I personally loved the storyline of the stolen material, which turns out not to be stolen. I thought after they attributed it to the wrong comedian and apologized a second time it would be done, but then they pulled out one more punch and, I think, it turned out to be funnier then that they owned the material and everything that had transpired since. It makes me want to live on the West Coast now so I can see when shows make mistakes like that, although most of the time when stuff happens, I guess the East Coast gets to see it, and the West Coast gets the edited version.
  • Finally, a focus on the show itself.

The inaugural season of "Studio 60" has, thus far, not once disappointed. That being said, this episode was truly standout among the first few episodes. This is a function of several reasons. First of all, because of the fact that the main characters had already been pretty well-established, there was significantly more room to throw some humor into the mix. This was definately the funniest episode so far. Secondly, this is the first episode that really focused on the show itself and its production process. Granted, it was only a focus on the show as it runs under extraordinary circumstances, but it was well-done nonetheless.
  • Great episode. Sorkin is brillant no one could write this better. Although some will try. Its great to watch the writers and cast come together for a great show.

This episode summed up why I watch this show. No one shot anyone else or was being held hostage. Just awesome writing. No gimmicks. The stolen joke story line played out perfectly.with the time delays and the paid audience , great. And the Matt Harriet situation is so honest imagine if you had to work with your ex that your still in love with.And I hope they bring back the reporter would love to see where that goes.I love love loved this episode and this show. I cant wait till next week. Real drama is back on TV! long overdo
  • West Coast Delay

Once again great writing and great acting. The only problem to me was the outcome. I think it would have been more enjoyable had it actually been stolen material. But it was well written and a good "set up" episode. Meaning this will be a bridge between alot of the events to come on Studio 60.
  • The West Coast Delay

This has quickly become my favorite show and this episode was fantastic. I do fear that the show is too "smart" for its own good and in the days of idiot tv it may take a while to grab an audience. As long as the show continues down this road it will grab a loyal audience.
  • Amazing ensemble cast with solid character development.

This shows what television could be: intelligent, witty, well-written, incredibly acted. It is the new measure by which every other show should be compared. The ensemble cast seems as if they\'ve been together for years, how did they do that so fast??!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series. Like the writer/producer team I just hope they can keep it up week to week.