Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The West Coast Delay

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 09, 2006 on NBC

• "This is lame." Sadly, that sums up the punchline of this episode. Thankfully, we get R&R respect and Christine Lahti to make up for it.

7.1
    The score is high because even at his worst, Sorkin's dialouge shines. The bits of Matt and Harriet seemed a bit much, with the bat and him going to get a boot signed and all that. It was interesting that Matt was going to bring it to a head before he found her kissing that player. Hopefully this moves one way or the other soon.

Christine Lahti is always good and it was nice to see her here as the reporter. I get the feeling she and Danny are going somewhere and I for one would enjoy that. Danny needs someone to take that somewhat billegerint attitude down a bit. Slamming Ricky and Ron on a wall was a bit much.

Speaking of which, they finally get some respect here, sticking up for that writer and making it clear they're willing to take the fall for this. No doubt, this reminds Matt of how he left the show so it looks like the little cold war they've got will end soon.

The plot of the stolen joke was so perfect with everyone rushing and the legal mess and all that. I also liked Simon freaking out over inadvertedly doing someone else's work. But then they had to ruin it first by having them do it over to say who the comedian took it from, which was one thing. But then they wrap it around that it belonged to them all along, thus the entire crisis was for no reason. I'm sure Sorkin thought that was a funny bit, ironic and all but it just didn't work as well on the screen. Hopefully, this was just a brief misstep and we get back on the good stuff soon. But building up a crisis and then revealing it was all for nothing isn't good drama, it's bait and switch and doing that can mess up even a show as good as this.