Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The West Coast Delay

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 09, 2006 on NBC

• A solid episode that gets going later than normal but still satisfies.

Episode 4 of Studio 60 is a typically well written satirical look at life inside a majot studio.

Personally I found it a bit slow going initially, as the relationship between Matt and Harriet is explored further as she gets asked out by a big time Baseball pitcher. Forgive me if I don't know his name but as a Brit we don't really get the chance to follow the sport as much as I would like.

The plot of this episode focuses on a 90 slot Matt allows the writers to write. When they all struggle for ideas one person speaks up and suggests his idea to Ricky & Ron. They in turn take the suggestion to Matt, who after finding it funny agrees to place it in the show.

Meanwhile Martha O'Dell, a writer for Vanity Fair arrives at the studio do to a piece on them. Despite some anxiety at first she is allowed full access.

So the show airs and the writers segment is a big success, however Martha discovers the same material has been released onto the internet, time stamped a year ago.

The studio naturally panics as talks of law suits deafen the area. The idea to salavge the situation is to cut into the west coasts live feed and edit in an apology with the original comedian doing the piece.

However lady lick does not favour them as after the apology to the comedian is issued, they discover he didn't write the piece either.

After a lot more research and much to the relief of Ricky & Ron they discover the piece was originally written by a former colleague at Studio 60 writer.... no more law suit!!

After a slowish start, at least when compared to the previous 3 episodes, this one accelerates to attack speeds at a breath taking pace. With sharp writting and a real belief that the episode is going to be a disaster I ended up on the edge of my seat.