Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

What Kind Of Day Has It Been

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 28, 2007 on NBC

• And so ends a show that had so much potential untapped.

You have to wonder if Sorkin knew this was going to be the end or not when he shot it. I kept hearing Judd Hirsch was going to appear as Wes but that never happened so maybe some things were reshot. My feelings on the problems of the show have been made in the past so I'll concentrate on this one ep.

Jack was far and away the best character and the talk with Simon was terrific with him finally coming around and then Simon decides to apologize and the hilarious "the sun's not up yet!" argument. Jack was the one guy who felt so real and it's sad we won't see that anymore.

I did like once again the soldier putting Tom in his place about the war and such and how the whole thing was settled fast. The scene with Jordan giving Danny the adoption papers once more shows how far too rushed this whole romance was but still nicely acted out. And nice to see the Harriet/Danny romance come with everyone saying they didn't have a problem with it. Overall, a not too bad ep. The flashbacks were also nice but I keep thinking it would have been better for Wes himself to show up and in person tell them he was apologizing and the effect it would have on Matt. A lot of Danny's behavior over the year is explained by how he feels he failed to help Matt back then, which makes rewatching the earlier episodes interesting. But still you get a sense of loss. Not that we lost a great show but that it never really reached its potential, ignoring the backstage drama in lieu of over the top speechifying and such. The cast deserved better material because they could make it work. Still, for one hour a week, they did their best to entertain their own way and it's hard to totally fault them for that. I just wish it had been the show we hoped for and gone on longer.
  • A lot of stuff to wrap up quickly.

I'm sorry to see this show end, particularly on the note that it did. To be blunt, it could have been higher.

Jordan's fate could've gone either way, which made for good dramatic tension. It was nice to see her make it, but I thouhgt the "at first sight" deal they hinted at was bit too sugary.

Harriet and Matt...eh. Kind of like Ross and Rachael (hee hee). They're together, they break up, each freaks out when the other is dating someone else, then they end up together.

I did like how the military pulled through and got Tom's brother out safely. Take THAT, Mr. "Gonna get a firm to get my brother out because the US Government isn't doing exactly as I want"! Yeah!

One down side was the racial rant by Simon. Because he wasn't writing the material, this was the only time I could really tolerate D.L. Hughley. He's just not a very funny guy when he does his own stuff. And this crap about "blacks doing more for this country"? It just sounds like their getting needlessly philisophical because a black character said something stupid.

And in the end, he doesn't have to apologize? What? He couldn't swallow his arrogance and develop as a character? I don't think this was very well explained. For a guy that I constantly wanted to smack upside the head for something stupid he did, he got off REAL easy.

Overall, it was a good show. Sad to see it go while garbage like Li'l Bush and Sarah Silverman continue. What's the world coming to?
  • A good season, and series, comes to a solid close

When I noticed that this episode was written by Sorkin and directed by Whitford, I was well pleased. Both Sorkin and Whitford were two of my top reasons for watching the show in the first place, and while Tommy Schlamme would have been a good contender for the final director as well, this felt right. As did most of the series finale, for that matter, though I found it ever so slightly predictable.

It would have been hard for Sorkin to avoid the predictability, to be honest, and that’s why I can’t take too much away from him in that regard. I thought it would be satisfying on a metaphorical level for the series’ version of “Studio 60” to be canceled for low ratings, even as each character found peace with their respective demons. After watching the finale, I came to the conclusion that such an ending would only be satisfying in the short term. Taking the long view, Sorkin’s more positive and hopeful ending will stand the test of time.

After all, this series is about selling comedy in wartime, and more than that, the right and need to express irreverent perspectives and ideas during wartime. It strikes right at the heart of the cultural war spawned by the Patriot Act. It’s told from a perspective that is easy to dismiss as arrogant and privileged, and thankfully, Sorkin has taken on that notion directly in these last few moments. We’ve come to see that these “Hollywood liberals” are living and breathing the same struggles as the rest of the human race. And what we all need, in the darkest hour, is hope.

So “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip”, within the series, had to survive. It had to endure, because if it endures, then free expression endures and our characters have a place to share their personal victories together. The ratings problem won’t go away, the couples will bicker and rage, but in the end, we know it will all work out. And that’s the message at the heart of the series, now that it’s over.

Thankfully, Sorkin manages to make the last steps of the journey to victory as difficult as it should be. We’re taken through hell and back with Jordan’s chance of survival (including one of the most evil act breaks in recent memory), and Whitford plays Danny’s angst beautifully. He’s very prominent in this episode, and that had to be a challenge. Tom’s situation was equally well done, including and beyond the moment where he unleashes a nickname for the Commander-in-Chief that could haunt him until the end of time.

The conversation between Simon and jack evolved almost perfectly, right up until the end, where Jack comes to his personal epiphany about Matt and Danny’s departure five years earlier. Had the series continued, this moment might have been more dangerous, since the character’s hard-line nature was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the character. This is one reason why the single-season lifespan of the series is ultimately acceptable: the character arcs were given enough time to come together in a satisfying manner.

If there’s one relationship that doesn’t quite get realistic closure, it’s the dynamic between Matt and Harriet. In the end, it’s a story that would have needed several seasons to evolve and shift towards common ground in the most satisfying manner, just based on the massive philosophical and ideological gap between them. Sorkin did his best to make it work, however, by turning to the universal truth of “love conquers all”. Knowing that this is the end, that this is the final statement on the relationship, I couldn’t think of a better way to bring their conflicts to momentary rest.

In short, despite all the flaws, I felt this finale (and the massive mini-arc that fed into it) gave the series a strong sense of purpose and relevance. Knowing the writing was on the wall, Sorkin took the time to give his story an ending that expressed, very well, why the series was such a great idea in the first place.
  • Pretentious feelgood dreck

Well, according to grade, this conclusion should suit most people a lot more than the conclusion of Sopranos.
    What's to miss, right? Everyone is happy, everyone's alive, everyone gets what they want.
    Man, it stinks to high heaven of compromising to the highest degree. It was painful to watch the last few episodes - the stoic image of Simon standing up for his completely idiotic move; Tom, absolutely wrought with pain still managing time and time again to have incredibly insightful and intelligent repartes with the army guy.
    I LOVED Sorkin's pretentious but righteous stuff in West Wing - it fit there. In Studio 60 it's just apallingly out of place.
    This last episode was like watering down a potentially good glass of wine to hand it out to as many people as possible.
    Good riddance to what was not so long ago a show with highest expectations on TV.
  • A great episode to end a great series.

Wow, what a day it has been for the cast of Studio 60. First of all, Matt finally gains the courage to ask Danny to sign the adoption papers, which Danny is very reluctant to sign. However, after the doctor finally talks to Danny, which in the scene makes it seem like the whole situation is heading for the worst, Danny finds out the Jordan has adoption papers in her purse as well. Its great to hear that Jordan has also been revived and everything is ok with that situation now. We also find out that Danny and Matt quit 5 years ago instead of getting fired, which makes you really respect that they risked everything just to stand up for what they believe in. When Jack finally admits that he was really on their side back then, Simon finally agrees to apologize for his earlier actions. But they get into another smaller argument which is interrupted by the news that Tom's brother was rescued. The show ends with Matt declaring his love to Harriet and they finally work out their troubles and everyone is glad to see that they are back together, but they never showed how Mary reacted to it all. Makes you wonder doesn't it? It is really sad to see this great show end but with Danny's extinction of the ghost light at the end of the episode, it is apparent that the show is done for good. It sucks that the ratings weren't always as high as they should have been, since it was a really great show, but you can't really do anything about it. Who knows, maybe this might be another Jericho and the fans can revive it, or maybe this is another What About Brian, which got revived almost a year after it was initially canceled. We may never know, but this show goes down in history as a great show to honor Saturday Night Live and it really puts into perspective the amount of time and effort put into each show. So thank you for the good times and I really enjoyed this series!
  • well this finel episode makes me wanna see everything again again. and i now i will have a new exp the "5 years ago" part could be just another season finale and that fisrt episode of the show be the first of the second season. but...

but...
  • Best series out of the USA EVER!

This is my review of the entire series as viewed to date, not just one episode. Sorkin is a giant: West Wing was superb and so is Studio 60. I could miss the occasional West Wing episode but not this and, in the UK it is shown in a ridiculous, early morning time slot. The writing is way above the usual US standard, the acting brings the best out of actors I didn't think even had a best and the story lines are effortlessly believable. I now learn that this show has been cancelled? Can someone tell me what this show has failed to achieve? Or has it offended some USA power groups? If this series was aired in the UK at 10pm instead of 1am it would wipe the floor with all the other channels. One wonders at the sanity of USA schedulers.
  • Danny contemplates forcing hospitalized Jordan to sign Adoption Papers. Tom prepares to take matters into his own hands to get his brother back. Jack continues to try get Simon to apologize for a very public gaffe.

After 4 episodes of ramp up, the story of this one night at Studio 60 comes to an end. Predictably, Jordan recovers, Danny officially adopts the baby, Tom's brother is rescued, Simon agrees to apologize and save his career, and the most predictably Matt and Harriet get back together.

Knowing that this was to be a series finale rather than a season finale there was a lot less peril facing these characters for me. The one in the most danger was Tom's brother, perhaps to be killed to make a point about how we've forgotten about the war in Afghanistan.

Even in this very deep and dramatic episode there is plenty of the Aaron Sorkin wit in the scenes to keep things from becoming too depressing as we await more developments and conclusions.

There are some moments that are truly touching. The moment of Danny seeing that Jordan wants Rebecca to have his last name and most of all, the moment Tom hears his brothers voice over the phone.

Even though it was dramatically necessary, the rekindling of the Matt and Harriet romance at the end comes off a little too forced and too quick. All in all, a great episode, a great series, just too bad it was too good for NBC.
  • Everyones happy

6.4
    The episode was completely out of character, as always there was a plethora of witty banter that is always enjoyable along with plot lines that accurately depict differing views on current events, however we don’t need everybody to have a happy ending. Jordan is bleeding internally but is suddenly perfectly fine, Matt & Harriet put their differences aside and get back together, Simon decides he needs to apologize to the press, Jack sees the error in his ways (maybe the most unbelievable twist in the episode), and Tom’s brother is saved in a Black Hawk mission. The only problem they left unsolved was the pending law suit over sexual harassment which they apparently decided that despite devoting two episodes to just needed to disappear. I loved the show and was happy to learn that they were going to get to wrap the season up even though the show got canceled but now I kind of wish they had just done with this show what they do to every other under rated show and just cut the cord mid season, at least then I could be angry with the network and look back fondly on the first 16 episodes rather than being left with a bad taste in my mouth.
  • I love the show and also the glasses of Darius Hawthorne

I love the show and also the glasses of Darius Hawthorne.Can anyone tell me please what glasses does Darius Hawthorne (Columbus Short) wears during the show.Please. I really like the and i want to buy a pair.Thank you.Can anyone tell me please what glasses does Darius Hawthorne (Columbus Short) wears during the show.Please. I really like the and i want to buy a pair.Thank you.Can anyone tell me please what glasses does Darius Hawthorne (Columbus Short) wears during the show.Please. I really like the and i want to buy a pair.Thank you.Can anyone tell me please what glasses does Darius Hawthorne (Columbus Short) wears during the show.Please. I really like the and i want to buy a pair.Thank you.