A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E11: "Buried Secrets"

In case anyone missed literally all of the beginning of Suits' third season, no worries, because the handy-dandy flashback sequence at the start of "Buried Secrets" got us all caught up. In short: Everyone is miserable and alone except for Louis (GOOD), who banged Sheila (a.k.a. Lady Louis) in the Harvard file room and, during a breather from their slightly upsetting sexytimes, decided to look for his coworkers' files. Normally I'd cry WTF, but Louis is the same guy who has framed photographs of himself—not one, but several—decorating his office. His vanity and paranoia cannot be contained. 

Anyway, surprise surprise, Harvey looked like a douchebag in college and Mike's file was nowhere to be found. But I'm actually thrilled that Suits is getting back to this storyline, because it's the one that got me into the show in the first place: Mike's fish-out-of-water thing coupled with his big-terrible-secret thing. Sure, it's the sort of plot point that can get tiresome after awhile, but it's no worse than the rich-people problems that plagued the first half of Season 3. (I don't care if Suits got half the cast of Game of Thrones to guest star. It was boring and everyone acted like a bunch of A-holes.)

"Buried Secrets" felt like a return to Suits' roots. Jessica was the unquestioned HBIC and Harvey was her righthand man. Mike's daddy issues threatened to derail a case. Louis was a creep and Donna was glorious. With all of the Pearson-Hardman-Darby drama behind us, it would seem that Suits is shifting the focus for the rest of Season 3 to the personal lives of its characters. This is a good thing. Even when they're being horrible people, the show's characters and the actors who portray them have always been the show's greatest strength. Most of the time, the cases themselves just aren't that interesting. 

This week, the matter at hand was a malpractice suit brought against one of Pearson-Specter's clients by none other than the nefarious Nick Rinaldi. If you'll recall, Rinaldi is the lawyer who swindled Mike's sassy grandma (R.I.P.) out of a boatload of money when his parents were killed in a car crash with Mike's parents by arguing that Mike's father may have been drunk at the time of the accident. Mike has resented the dude ever since, and when given the opportunity to screw over one of Rinaldi's clients—and by extension, Rinaldi himself—Mike jumped on it. The unfortunate thing about Mike, though, is that compared to when Harvey plays the "questionable morals" card, Mike just comes off as sort of a sniveling jackass. At one point, Rinaldi even asked Mike, "Do you even know the details of this case, or are you just coming after us because I'm on the other side?" which was a totally valid point that makes me question what the hell Jessica and Harvey were thinking. 

In the end, Rinaldi gave Mike the case file for his parents' accident and revealed that while no, Mike's dad probably wasn't drunk, there was just enough evidence to suggest that he could have been, which is what Rinaldi used against Sassy Grandma all those years ago. The case against Mike's parents mirrored the one that Mike argued against Rinaldi's client, who was photographed having one drink at a wedding before he died of a faulty heart stent while under strict orders not to drink at all. Did half a beer cause the stent to fail? Probably not. But it was just enough evidence to work with. 

Whether Rinaldi was playing on Mike's emotion—as Rachel suggested—or just sincerely regretting all the families he'd gamed on technicalities doesn't really matter; in the end, Mike did the right thing and didn't condemn a family with a perfectly valid grievance just because their lawyer was mean to his own family 15 or 20 years ago. 

And in other developments, Mike and Rachel are also shacked up and bickering over furniture. STFU Rachel, I like Mike's sofa. 

Meanwhile, Harvey's love life appears to be in a similar state as Mike's. He basically paid Jessica to hire Scottie so that she wouldn't leave, which is all kinds of creepy and manipulative, but at least everyone acknowledged as much I'm always up for bonus college reminiscences with Harvey and the gang because he sounds like just the sort of douche I would've wanted to be BFFs with. Jessica's face was also hands-down the best thing ever (other than Donna's faux-weeping at Louis, of course) when Harvey revealed why he so desperately wanted Scottie to stay. Her expression practically screamed, "OMG NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN," as if she could hear my thoughts. Whatever. I'm so confused about my Donna/Harvey feelings right now that I'll give Harvey/Scottie a try. 

In conclusion, your honors, despite Donna's best efforts to calm Louis the hell down about Mike's missing file, and despite Mike actually having a Harvard transcript somewhere in the university's database thanks to that hacker chick from Season 1—a tiny detail that really, only someone who had actually attended Harvard could possibly know—Louis's passion to destroy Mike is now fully reignited, errr, re-Litt. While surveying Mike's fake grades on his fake transcript, Louis noticed that Mike earned an A+ in a class where it was widely known (by REAL Harvard alumni) that the professor was against the entire philosophy of the A+ and never, under any circumstances, gave one out. It's such a laughably teensy detail, but it's just the sort of thing Louis would notice and pick at. Well played, Suits. Glad to have you back!

WELL-DRESSED NOTES

– "The dark knight rises." Oh glob, and so much slapping! Louis, is your face okay? Buddy?

– "You are not bringing peanuts into my deposition." Harvey does what he wants, Mike. 

– Louis's concern for Sheila when Donna convinced him that Sheila probably just misplaced the file was so cute. I love them. 

– What are your thoughts on Harvey/Scottie?

– What did you think of Suits' return? Got any predictions for the rest of the season? How much longer do you think Mike's secret will stay secret?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 4

36 Comments
Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I hate the whole Harvard storyline, and I wish it would just go away. I'd take any crappy writing/storyline just to be rid of it. I wouldn't mind Mike going away either, and he could take Rachel with him. It's a really sad story that your parents died in a car crash when you were a kid Mike. It doesn't excuse you acting like an asshole when you are an adult though.
Thank goodness for the always amazing Donna and Louis. Well played Donna, you should be in charge of the world! I love Louis and Shelia's relationship and I really hope it continues, but I can see Harvey destroying it just to save himself from Mikes secret. This would really upset me. I'm not sure how I feel about Scottie. I do like her, but she's probably headed for heartbreak. I also don't know how I feel about Donna and Harvey, but I'm leaning on the don't want them together fence.
Flag
I always thought the Suit premise was really silly. In a realistic setting, the other students will spot him as a fake in like ten minutes. It's not possible that no one of his age remembered him, for instance.
Flag
With regards to the A+: It is laughable. Not because of how small a detail that is, but because of what a HUGE glaring mistake it is by Suit's writers. Harvard Law doesn't give letter grades. Classes are graded on a honors, pass, low pass, and fail. A Harvard transcript with letter grades like that would instantly be spotted as a fake.
Flag
Scottie needs to go away and NEVER come back. We waited at least 6 months for this show to come back and now we have to deal with high school romance. Come on Suits you're better than this!
Flag
Still hate Mike and yes he is a sniveling jackass. Everything else about the episode was great though. I had an extremely loud LOL moment at "The Dark Knight Rises" scene. Oh Litt you are wonderful.
Flag
Kind of back to the norm. But Louis is too much of the firm punching bag to be the big bad for the rest of the season. Plus if he comes up with the whole thing in their world where you need a law degree to practice and not just pass the bar. Then he erases all of the cases that Mike worked on and would kill the firm. I know Louis is kind of an asshole, but he isn't that much of an asshole. I still think at this point in the show talking about Mike and his lack of going to Harvard is the one of the weakest aspects of the show.

Also I am kind of meh over everyone getting along. Mike and Rachel, Harvey and Scottie. It is fun and all but I like conflict more and not just a conflict with Louis.
Flag
I really like Scotty and But I love Donna
"Black Hawk Down" and "The Dark Knight Rises" LOL
Flag
Louis needs to focus less on exposing Mike, and more on tappin' dat Zass.
Flag
Staff
+1
Flag
Couldn't the hacker chick have just used the grades from one of Mike would-be classmates to ensure the grade letter for each professor & class was realistic? Louis will likely assume that with a falsified transcript there's a greater lie than Mike didn't graduate from Harvard Law. He'll dig deeper & confirm that Mike didn't graduate from Harvard, didn't pass the bar, didn't go to law school anywhere, and didn't graduate college.
Flag
Louis needs to see a physician stat if he has a 'black hawk', whether it be down or otherwise.
Flag
Good episode. Donna awesome in getting Louis not to tell Sheila. The case was okay in my opinion. It was pretty vague, and i wasn't really buying the emotional scenes. I'm starting to find Mike and Rachel a much better couple though, and I actually like the scenes they do together. Scotty is also someone I can get used to. It looks like things are going to heat up next week.
Flag
Staff
Mike and Rachel are starting to grow on me. I'm delighted that Rachel has something resembling a personality these days.
Flag
Too little Donna/Harvey for my tastes
Flag
So so so true!!! Right amount of Litt thought..
Flag
black hawk down lol@louis
Flag
This episode is a great setup to what I feel will be happening the next five episodes. I have no doubt that Louis will find out Mike's secret now (whether or not it's the RIGHT secret, since he thinks Mike went to a lower tier law firm, remains in question) report it to Jessica, and get Mike fired... until Jessica, who knows Mike's secret, will reveal that she's already known Mike's secret for ages and has dropped the Harvard rule for exceptional lawyers such as Mike and Rachel, which is the truth. (Assuming Jessica agreed to Rachel's terms) Ultimately Jessica has the final say in who can or can't be fired, and if she can save Mike from being fired by an enraged Harvey, Louis wouldn't stand a chance. Plus, Louis's relationship with Rachel is totally different than what it used to be in season 1. Rachel is the only person that can calm Louis down (even his associate Katrina can't do that) and he respects her enough to let her represent him in his cat custody case and he tried to shield her from the truth about not being good enough for Harvard. I think Jessica might give Louis an ultimatum- let the Harvard rule go for Mike and Rachel would be welcome into the firm as well, or strictly enforce the Harvard rule, fire Mike and have Rachel lose any chance of working here. Of course Louis will choose the former, Rachel will confront him, and Louis, out of guilt, will have the heart attack that was shown in the promos (It's implied that it might be Harvey or Louis, but Harv seems more easygoing now that he got everything he wanted whereas Louis seems extra jumpy now that he thinks everything he knows is wrong.) This will ultimately lead to Mike and Louis to reconcile, though I REALLY want Katrina to take up her bosses cause and report Mike to the bar, setting up season 4 where Mike is totally exposed and the firm is in danger of completely being shut down for letting Mike practice law without a license. Louis has had more character development than anyone else on this show, and he genuinely wants what's best for the firm. Katrina, however, is totally self centered and is not barred by the morals that Louis has. She'll do anything to advance her career, including doing what her boss couldn't and singlehandedly bring down Pearson-Specter

More+
Flag
It could be Robert Zane that has the heart attack. I definitely hope not, though. Wendell Pierce is a cool cat.
Flag
this episode truely feels like the way it used to feel and why i fell in love with it. i miss litt and mike together they made great pair.
Flag
You are so right, MaryAnn, this episode really felt like it got most everything back on track. The only misfit would be... why, it's Rachel as usual! Thanks awful TV writing cliches for giving us a female major character whose only lot in life is to service her love interest.

I didn't really understand the big revelation on Mike's part, Rinaldi had all along argued Mike's dad might have been drunk in the accident, and somehow now it surprises Mike that his dad had a couple and now he's doing the exact same thing? That is hardly an astounding, case-breaking discovery; Mike even addresses it moments earlier. But it hardly brought the episode to a standstill.

What really worked to me was that Mike's secret was truly in question at the end, not easily fudged the way Donna had made it seem, but truly and deeply in Louis Litt's focus now. Every single lawyer at Pearson Spector is a Harvard grad, every single younger one is trained by Louis Litt, he hears them talk, he knows what they're about, so for him to pick up on this was right in character, and the show is better for it.

I've never liked Scottie, she's always been merely an emotional foil for Harvey and never a character, so in this episode they finally have moved her a little beyond that - not much, mind you, but enough - into being a real person, and unfortunately it almost feels sad that both Scottie and Harvey can't get past their college crushes on each other. Yet it makes her more of a character, and that in turn makes her more compelling, so I'm better with her.

I have no predictions, I enjoy this show (usually) as it comes. It wouldn't be advantageous for Louis to hose Mike anymore though because it would damage the firm he deems so precious, but it would give him a power play.
More+
Flag
I like Harvey and Scottie. Which is why it won't work. Viewers (people) hate change, so the character growth for Harvey that comes with Scottie won't be allowed.
Flag
Finally Louis finds out and can Donna be the main character.
Flag
I thought the episode was pretty good, the attention to characters mostly worked. I don't mind Mike and Rachel being together but please give her something to do other than wait on him dutifully. I still believe that split seasons on ANY show are disasterous - they even tarnished Breaking Bad - and Suits might be the worst affected. They rush through a separate arc in the first half of a season and then, having run out of steam they end up abandoning any over-riding plot and just pad it out with character dramas. That was certainly the case last year when the Hardman story was butchered and it looks like the same thing will happen again. What is different this year is that the GoT arc wasn't as strong as the Hardman one and maybe 3.5 will be better than 2.5. It's possible but it would be so much better if they just had uninterrupted seasons instead. If only they had the guts to run against the big networks.
Flag
Suits is back.... Glad the infighting is sort of over and done with. Donna was on top form, as usual. I like Harvey and Scottie, she's a good addition to the otherwise flat character that is Harvey. Lewis was Lewis and Jessica was Jessica. Mike and Rachel are moving in together and Mike is still a winy little bitch. Yes, I said it. Mike is the emotionally weakest character of the show and it's getting annoying.
Flag
You're comparing Mike (still a relative kid) to seasoned and grown men and women? Of course he's emotionally the weakest character. When has he had any chance to mature? Before joining the firm, he was hangin' with a drug dealer and cheating on tests. Instantly, he's thrown in the deep end and doing a dang good job of keeping up. But, yeah, it's within character to have him be emotionally immature.
Flag
Glad things settled down they couldn't catch a break in the first half of the season so I was pleased with that too. I like that Scottie is sorta a female Harvey but I'd like her even more if she wasn't with Harvey. It's a constant struggle with all the lying and manipulating if it were meant to be it shouldn't be that hard, she came off as needy but outside of Harvey I like the character-she's no Donna but a cool cat
Flag
I'm just glad they've apparently gone back to the "Case of the Week" format. The Hessington oil case was BORING! I'm a much bigger fan of everything being done in a concise manner. Plus the Game of Suits arc was so convoluted yet lacked any real gray area. The Daniel Hardman arc was played much better because Daniel SEEMED sympathetic but was a mustache twirling villain in the end, whereas Ava seemed more corrupt than any other client they had but was innocent of the murders she was accused of. In a way I wish she was guilty, so Mike could get some character growth as to how his job clashed with his conscience (up to then his cases had clear good guys and bad guys and he was always on the good guys side) and to have the ACTUAL bad guy be a slimy British lawyer who practically carried a sign that said "I'm evil" was just lazy writing. But most frustratingly was Harvey. He acted like a dick the whole story arc because of his first clear loss to Darby, yet he won EVERYTHING he ever wanted: Mike's back on his side, Darby got booted, he got his name on the door, and he now has an actual girlfriend who's in love with him. RRRgh.
More +
Flag
Where have you been the past two and a half seasons? Don't you know this show is about Harvey being the badass that always wins?
Flag
Suits is back!
Flag
I'm super happy Suits is finally back! I thought it was a great episode and I'm definitely more excited for the rest of the season now!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members