A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E04: "Conflict of Interest" 

Guys, remember when Mike had a sassy grandma who needed round-the-clock care and the whole reason he was so desperate to work at this law firm full o' children was that he wanted so badly to keep her from ending up in the crooked home where the food sucked and the floor probably hadn't been swept since the '80s? I missed that Mike this week, and he wasn't even the most irritating part of an episode that now hold the distinction of being the best episode of the season so far (in my humble opinion) while also being chock-full of misguided WTF-ery, or what I like to call "rich people problems." 

Ava Hessington was revealed to be conveniently innocent, so that darker side of Harvey and all of its potential has gone the way of the dodo bird—except for how he was going to defend her even before she turned on the waterworks because, yes, it's his job, but mostly because he needs Darby on his side so he can throw Jessica out of the clubhouse because she bruised his ego and deserves to die. 

Let's contrast Ava and Jessica for a moment:

Both women are cold, calculating businesswomen at the top of their respective companies. Jessica founded Pearson-BlahBlah. Ava or Ava's family founded Hessington Oil. It's been repeatedly stated that Ava "IS" Hessington Oil, but you can also make the argument that Jessica "IS" Pearson-Hardman/Pearson-Darby. Both women made questionable judgement calls to garner rewards for their firms—Jessica merged with Darby to keep the lights on after the Hardman debacle and Ava made a deal with a literal devil to get a big ol' pipeline put in. The ultimate repercussions of their actions are this: Pearson-Darby is an international law firm now and everyone is generally happy with the arrangement except for Harvey (and everyone Harvey stirs up whenever he insists on kicking the office bees nest out of spite). Hessington Oil commenced building its pipeline and a bunch of protesters were murdered by the guy Ava handed millions of dollars in bribe money to. Wait, we're apparently not calling it that anymore. It wasn't a bribe! It was goodwill cash meant to relocate all the little people who had the gall to live in the pipeline's proposed path! Totally different! It's like Hitler, man! He didn't want to kill six million Jews. He just wanted to make Germany suck less and things got a little crazy. Intentions are EVERYTHING. (And just to cut down on the hate mail, let me be clear that that was ALLLLLLLLL sarcasm. Hitler was a D-bag, no matter how you slice it.)

Which is why I guess we're supposed to be sad for Ava and rally behind Ava while gleefully waiting for Jessica to get what she deserves? Right? I mean, even Louis has joined the Poor Ava bandwagon: "At least I won't be responsible for taking away an innocent woman's company!" 

Except... she's not all that innocent? Okay, she didn't order the murders, as had been initially implied. But Hitler didn't personally gas everyone who ended up at Auschwitz, and those deaths are still on him. Here's a mellower TV example that you should skip if you haven't watched all of The Sopranos: Adriana la Cerva. Syl pulled the trigger, but who set her up? Who ordered her new mattress alongside the fishes? Some fans cite Adriana's death as the point where Tony Soprano became "irredeemable"—and he didn't even technically kill her.

I can't stomach Ava suddenly becoming the poor, sad victim in all of this just because she started weeping and tossed out an "I didn't meeeean to!" Also, innocence aside, from the ruthless business perspective, she's still getting oodles of bad press for her company, and her continued presence put them in a precarious place. What was the board supposed to do?

I desperately need this storyline to end so that I can stop hating everyone. 

Like I said above, though, even with all its WTF-ery, "Conflict of Interest" wasn't a flop by any means. After the early turmoil of the season, the buddy-buddy feel to many of our formerly fractured partnerships is a welcome distraction from the heavier Harvey vs. Jessica mess. Katrina and Louis are a fun team and—I can't believe I'm saying this—I even kind of liked Katrina in this episode. The fact that she acted like an adult and took her job seriously despite being stuck working with Mike... and then enabled both of them to flourish in the partnership... did a lot to redeem her. I don't know if having Louis as a mentor has given her sliminess a focus that it was initially lacking, or maybe the writers made a conscious effort to try to paint her as someone who isn't awful, but whatever it was, it worked. 

Also: Donna and Steve! They're fun. I can't see it going past being a fun fling, but Suits has seemed to establish that it's only meant to be a fun fling, which is great, because as soon as those two started flirting last week, I feared the inevitable Broken-Hearted Donna episode and I just don't have it in me. I just don't. 

While Harvey is still very much acting like a child in his vendetta against Jessica, "Conflict of Interest" made the attempt to at least point out that Harvey is surrounded by rich, powerful, and brainy children—so he's in good company and he no longer appears to be some freakish outlier in his office. Even Jessica, who I'm still firmly rooting for, seemed to be acting more on id power than logic and common sense. I hate to side with Darby, but was flying to Toronto just to sass him on the street really necessary? (At least Darby could make the argument that he was checking up on the East Coast branch of his firm when he pulled the same stunt on Jessica... even though we knew that wasn't the case at all.)

Basically, everyone's a jerk, so pick your favorite jerk and hold those house banners high! 

NOTES

– LOVED all the Wire and Sopranos references. "Shiiiiiiiiit." 

– "If you were less attractive, I'd love you." -- Louis <3

– Why is it Harvey's business who Donna bangs? I get her wanting to share on a friend-to-friend basis, but the woman looked terrified about the prospect of telling Harvey about Stephen. 

-- WTF Mike/Rachel Moment of the Week: Irrationally jealous romantic partners are sweet. I'm thinking none of the writers have actually had irrationally jealous romantic partners. 

-- So which house are pledging your allegiance to?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/20/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

145 Comments
Comments (145)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think there is a little Clay Davis in all of us! Shiiiiiiit! Harvey burned Jessica with the Darby is Daddy talk in front of Lewis [double burn], Louis got burned by CorpRaideriopolis's financial henchman or whatever, Darby burned Jessica, Harvey keeps burning Gary Cole :-) and Jessica burnt Darby. What's not to love? Oh and some stuff happened with an oil company and Donna.
Flag
From this: "Let's contrast Ava and Jessica for a moment:" All the way to this: "I desperately need this storyline to end so that I can stop hating everyone. "

Gee chica, stop reading me mind. It's creepy when you do that.

-I didn't. I mean, I never watched The Wire (don' throw daggers at me m'kay? I'm not wearing my Kevlar and my super cape is at the dry cleaners). Paying homage to a great show wasn't what annoyed me about the scene, the swearing did. Before I get chewed out about that, I actually don't care about swearing on cable shows because I know it's realistic. I do hate when it's excessive and forced. Suits didn't used to go overboard with the swearing, but now it just feels forced. Half the time they remind me of that overzealous preadolescent who mutters a string of profanities whether the situation calls for it, it makes sense put together, or anything like that, just so that they could sound "adult" and "edgy" but all the while they're looking over their shoulder to make sure that their parent isn't around to cuff them in the back of the head or wash their mouth out with soap. It's like that. All the time now, and that is what annoys me about Suits and their swearing these days. I hate unnecessary swearing, it just feels so stupid. So by the time Katrina and Mike got to that scene I was just rolling my eyes and praying to God, that some poor soul who was taking tequila shots at every "shit" or "goddamn" being uttered in the episode, wasn't passed out on the floor, holding on to the tiles to keep from falling off the face of the Earth. But I digress.

-I love Louis too. In fact, as it stands, Louis is about the only character that isn't currently irritating the heck out of me right now. I love Louis. I love the Brits. Donna, Harvey, and Mike are disappointing me, I'm sympathetic and annoyed with Jessica, and I still don't like Rachel or Katrina.

-Exactly. I'm assuming this is to conjure up whatever past relationship that she lost because she put Harvey and her job above everything else, but that frustrated me. Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I was never a big fan of the Harvey/Donna shipping. Aside from my only seeing them as besties with a sibling edge before Season 2 put the kibosh on that, it sort of ruins Donna. Donna becomes that girl pining after her boss, pining after a guy that she will never get. I hate that. It takes away some of Donna's awesome and strength. I hate to say it, but it really does. This season is only making it worst, but I'm hoping Stephen will make it more tolerable to watch. You know, if not for the fact that he's basically the British version of Harvey, the Harvey that she can actually have. *sigh* It should be none of Harvey's business who she shirtless hugs, but of course she is sort of making it his business because of the role Stephen is playing at the firm. Donna is a magnet for messy. I'm starting to notice that. That being said, I actually like her and Stephen together. It's fun and flirty and casual and just what she needs. He does have a certain charm and he gives her a run for her money. I like their chemistry. It works for me, plus since she's been annoying me along with Harvey, I'm actually enjoying the times they don't share the screen together, which is something I never thought I'd ever say barbecue it's Donna and Harvey.

-Ah. The ultimate WTF-ery in a season that has thus far been nothing but WTF-ery. I already said, I don't like them together. I don't like Rachel and her flakiness, irrational behavior, and hypersensitivity. She's prone to emotional fits and very seldom if ever can she separate her emotions from any situation, which is frustrating to watch because of the stereotypical female undertones in it, but more so frustrating to watch because she's in a professional setting and never does she behave professionally. I need Rachel to be somebody outside of Mike. I actually loved when she worked with Louis. I need Donna to be somebody outside of Harvey, at least they're working on that.

-You nailed it in the review. They all are behaving like a bunch of children. That is usually the charm of Suits, actually. Now however, with all this bickering etc, it's not the fun juvenile behavior, it's the irritating kind. I am, and will probably always pledge my allegiance to La Casa de Jessica. Can she be a pain in the arse? Of course. But it doesn't change the fact that she for the most part wasn't in the wrong here. There are repercussions to decisions that you make. That is life, so her dealing with being number two and grasping at the authority and control that she thought she had is something that she has to face with the decision she made. But her decision was a business one. It was a smart one at the time. It made sense. Harvey is beyond immature with how he's treating her. It isn't warranted, and again, for someone who professes loyalty to be everything, he's sure doing a terrific job at being disloyal. You can't expect unwavering loyalty from others but you're willing to turn your back on them as soon as they do something they were justified in doing but didn't appease you. Mike may be his mentee and sidekick, and Donna may be his true ride or die friend, but Jessica...she's, I don't even know how to describe it w/o it being misconstrued, but she's sort of his everything. He's nipped at the hand that fed him for years, but biting it off is unacceptable.

-I like that Louis has Katrina, only because I like that Louis has someone. He needed a person. I liked that Katrina and Mike called a truce. I still don't like Katrina though, and I'm not sure there will ever be anything to really change that.
-Ava Hessington was just so much fun to watch. She was such an interesting character, and I love how her case connected to everything going on at the firm. That mock deposition scene was fantastic.
-I find Stephen both smarmy and charming. Nice addition. It works for me. Do your thing Donna.
-Darby is...he's a worthy adversary. I like that. I like him in the role that he is playing.
-I'm always willing to cut Jessica some slack, but I did find her flying to Toronto just to sass Darby juvenile. I mean, you're using the guy's money to do it. Sometimes I feel like there are two different types of Jessica as a character and they don't always know which one to stick with. There is Jessica, the leader who is rational, logical, who corrals the kids and their childish antics up and keeps them focused. She's the poised one, the regal one, the powerful one w/o feeling compelled to assert that power. She's the Jessica that behaves the most maturely when everyone else is anything but. She's respectable, strong, business-minded, seasoned, a lady version of how Harvey could be when he fully gets his shizz together. She also has a down to earth quality and similar humor that makes her easily fit in with her employees and makes for interesting dynamics. Then there is the ruthless Jessica, the paranoid Jessica, the overly ambitious Jessica. The one who has a vindictive quality...but what bothers me the most, is she is typically the logical one, the pragmatic one, she's the voice of reason, which always worked because Harvey needs someone to reign him in, they all do sometimes. She isn't necessarily operating under that role anymore, not consistently anyway, and when she does operate under her she's darn near villainized for it.
More+
Flag
Team Jessica. If only for her outfits.
Flag
Word.
Flag
Awesome episode. I pray Harvey is not loosing his touch, And did anyone say Jessica is not a hard ass and cant play hardball. Wow
Ava Hessington I don't know what to believe anymore...all wrapped up in awesomeness. I cant wait for what comes next.
I agree the Mike\Rachel thing while well acted is the least interesating of all the stories.
Flag
I miss the days when Rachel seemed like she had an actual job at the firm, rather than gossiping, spying and acting jealous. At this point I can't wait for her and Mike to breakup.

Flag
Oooh, Mike and Rachel are in LURVE.
Flag
I think Harvey cares about who Donna bangs because she is her trusted ally/assistant whatever and will suspect Britguy's motives to get close to her (besides the obvious) and worry about pillow talk... I think Harvey is in war-mode and there will be no canoodling with the enemy camp (where Britguy will end up unavoidably)

Flag
Ava's mock deposition was so convincing i thought she was a GREAT actress, not innocent but that is because I am more hardass than Harvey I guess... And seriously, nobody cares if she is innocent or not, she is a client and it's the lawyer's job to provide the best defense. Any lawyer will have both innocent and guilty clients and it should not make a difference really...

I liked Darby & Jessica fighting over whose balls are bigger cause frankly that is what that was... War is coming...

No disrespect to shippers but I ship any scene with Mike and Rachel because 1)they never talk about anything remotely related to actual legal cases and 2)it is painful. I really wish Rachel could have some storyline related to law and not to how she's jealous or not... ugh...
Flag
Harvike(?) over Loutrina(?)
Flag
As this season goes on I'm honestly hoping that incredibly geeky guy that got bullied for the entire first season shows up with a bomb strapped to his chest... Because damn everyone is so unlikable at the moment.
Flag
I like Jessica. She gives spunk and fiery zest to the show, but only in a TV show. Wouldn't want such women at my workplace or be my boss. Met too many of them, everyone vicious and unrepentant. A bad woman in power is a very unpredicable dangerous thing. A bad man with power is Hitler history in the making.
Flag
I haven't read all the comments yet but nobody seem unhappy with Mike and Donna's british accent. I'm waiting for Harvey's.
Flag
Louis was this weeks MVP for me, generally great in every scene

As a guy I wouldn't normally comment on the wardrobe, but i found some of Donna's dresses a bit distracting this week - and not in a positive way. They were too flouncy - the black dress would have looked so much better without the wings/fins/frills - whatever you want to call them.
Flag
As a girl, I find your commentary on Donna's dresses so wildly entertaining. Not to mention, more informed than I can ever muster. :)
Flag
I'm surprised to see people surprised! It's about "lawyers" who specialize in "business law" and have, as bonuses, half a million every few months. None of them are good altruist people and they were never pictured as such. They're all in for the money, the power and the fame like most people in RL. I didn't find any of them to be more jerks than usual. I'll root for Harvey and Mike as a BroTP and I'll vote Catrina off the island.
Flag
Can someone murder Katrina ? She can't redeem herself. The pairing with Mike was useless, nobody spied on anyone. They were all too busy scheming.
Flag
I am Team Harvey no matter what. I dislike Jessica and always have . She is greedy for power. It is always her way or the highway and does not really care about who is in the way. She was willing to put that women in jail even though she didn't do it. All my respect for her is lost. The only problem I had was that Harvey is acting a bit too hardcore. I need the fun Harvey in Season 1 and 2. He needs to let Donna have fun. She is allowed to have a life outside of Harvey. Go on and get your British girl man ! I was so upset when she could not tell Harvey because he was being a butt.
Flag
Well, I really enjoyed this episode! I found it gripping from beginning to endI Although I can't understand what Donna sees in Stephen and why she sleeps with him, Sarah Rafferty as Donna really shines in those scenes! and God knows I love Donna. I think she just wants to have fun, and like Harvey, she likes being in control. But I'm still intrigued about the reason why she sleeps with him, because I don't think she really likes Stephen and I'm more intrigued about why she doesn't dare tell Harvey about Stephen. ^^ I can't wait to see next episode!!! Stephen doesn't do anything for me at all but if he has some kind of impact on Donna-Harvey's ambiguous relationship, I'm all for this plot.

"Why is it Harvey's business who Donna bangs? I get her wanting to share on a friend-to-friend basis, but the woman looked terrified about the prospect of telling Harvey about Stephen."
that's what's interesting to find out ;) ...they really have an ambiguous relationship, they have a special bond together, they tend to share a lot of things. And I've got the impression that he's quite possessive. yeah, he's a jerk (he's slept with lots of women, why can't she do the same?) but I can't help it, I 'm rooting for Harvey. I love him. I think he expects loyalty from her (he confides in her only, ) and we know how he reacts to disloyalty. Maybe she's afraid to tell him because she knows he doesn't trust Stephen. Maybe he would feel betrayed if he knew she had a thing with Stephen...She's just seen his reaction when she told him she was doing some kind of "work" for Stephen.
I also liked the whole plotline on Ava. I didn't expect the twist at the end regarding her.
More+
Flag
Am I the only one who thought Ava's speech was her acting to prove she could handle the lawyer's questions? I kept waiting for her to say 'I think the jury will believe that' at the end. It didn't ring true to me at all.
Flag
You didn't even mention the best part of the episode, which would be Harvey imitating Bubba. I laughed so hard at "Shrimpin' bidness"
Flag
Mike-Katrina was more engaging than Mike-Rachel :/
And stop railing on Mrs. Stark, she's been through a lot!
Flag
That awkward moment when, right? I don't like Katrina or Rachel, but I found Mike and Katrina's interactions a hundred times more interesting. Maybe it's because they actually talk about things.
Flag
Yeah. Maybe they should have Mike meet a new girl every season because the writers only know how to do the flirty phase well.
Flag
I'm over the way the female characters are written this season. (Donna scared of Harvey's reaction srsly lets not do it.)
I'm over Harvey.
I'm over this show.
I find my so completely unapologetically Team Jessica.Call her ruthless, call her mean, call her childish , call her manipulative. At the end of the day Jessica's concern is her firm and it's always been. It's not Harveys feelings, Darby's feelings or anyone else she's concerned about her firm and it's always been that way because it's hers, it's the one thing she has that is truly hers and she won't ever let that go.
I don't understand why everyone is always quick to talk about Jessica being on a power trip when Harvey is on one 99% of the show.
Jessica's powertrip is justified because for the past I don't know 15 years she's been comfortable in her position because no one has ever been a threat to it and she didn't have to prove herself because she had it all. She did all the proving herself before she went ahead and started her own firm from the bottom up with someone she looked up to and admired.
NOW you have all the men coming in trying to undermine her position and you expect her to sit there and take it? That's not going to happen Jessica will fight with every bone in her body, step on toes, do what it takes to retain her position of power. Not because she is power hungry but because she deserves it, she knows she deserves it and shouldn't have to deal with bullshit anymore.
I don't know if we are supposed to feel sympathetic for her, but I understand her character a great deal. I get where she's coming from I know why she makes the choices she makes.
Also I don't know if people that watch this show understand Harvey isn't and has never been her equal, like ever. She favored him sure but he was never her equal she was never entitled to listen to him or take his advice or consult with him on decisions she is making for her firm. I don't see any other senior partners being unhappy about this merger except Harvey and that's only because he didn't get his name on the door after being Senior Partner for not even a year yet (that's a whole other topic b/c he has some nerve he needs to have several seats).
Moral of the story you don't get your name on a door by being nice all the time people will step all over you and I feel like Jessica went through that phase and it didn't work out for her so when someone is a threat to her you best believe she will do everything she can to take them out. And if that's being ruthless or inhuman I'm sorry you have some life ahead of you because people will try to undermine you left and right and you can sit there and take it and be nice and fail or you can fight back and succeed. That's how it works.
And once again this all leads to the fact this all stems from one common place: Harvey hiring Mike.
I'm not here for suits turning the one female character in a position of power in a place w/ majority white males into the antagonist because I don't buy that.
More+
Flag
"I find my so completely unapologetically Team Jessica.Call her ruthless, call her mean, call her childish , call her manipulative. At the end of the day Jessica's concern is her firm and it's always been. It's not Harveys feelings, Darby's feelings or anyone else she's concerned about her firm and it's always been that way because it's hers, it's the one thing she has that is truly hers and she won't ever let that go.
I don't understand why everyone is always quick to talk about Jessica being on a power trip when Harvey is on one 99% of the show.
Jessica's powertrip is justified because for the past I don't know 15 years she's been comfortable in her position because no one has ever been a threat to it and she didn't have to prove herself because she had it all. She did all the proving herself before she went ahead and started her own firm from the bottom up with someone she looked up to and admired.
NOW you have all the men coming in trying to undermine her position and you expect her to sit there and take it? That's not going to happen Jessica will fight with every bone in her body, step on toes, do what it takes to retain her position of power. Not because she is power hungry but because she deserves it, she knows she deserves it and shouldn't have to deal with bullshit anymore. "

Can I toast this?! I want to toast this! You can say anything you wish about Jessica Pearson but she has always been and will always be about the firm. End of story. That is what makes her a great managing partner. That is why Harvey isn't cut out for having his name on the door. That's the real thing that's been irritating me to pieces. Everyone, viewers, and the other characters alike seem to expect Jessica to overlook the fact that her authority is constantly being undermined, and no one is really thinking about just how much of a slap in the face that is for someone in her position. I hate to go there, but being an African American female in her position at that...she constantly has something to prove. She does have every right to assert her authority. I hate how ugly it's getting, but she certainly has been put in a position to fight, and she's a fighter. Jessica's firm is her life, that place is her home, those people are her family. They may not realize that, but it is in fact her everything. You try to take everything from a person and they will come out swinging. How many times has she uttered "I protect my own" and things of that nature? Add on to it the fact that, to me, she does pretty much the exact same things as Harvey, but only she catches flak for it. But this is why I'm struggling with the way the females are this season. It started last season, but Donna and Jessica were always the strong females of the show that were right up their with the guys, but with Donna reduced to pining off of Harvey, and Jessica CONSTANTLY being undermined and left in the dark by her closest ally, and challenged repeatedly by the male adversaries, it's, I don't know, just frustrating. But preach on, my friend. Preach on.
More +
Flag
Bah. She's all about her ego, just like Harvey.
Flag
Good grief, my eyes are burning from the lack of spacing in your post. Please, I beg of you, use the Enter key in the future. Anyway, I'll try and take a stab at your criticisms in an impartial manner, considering I'm one of the few who's not only against Harvey but also somewhat accepting of Jessica's recent behavior.

Jessica Pearson was the show's original (anti) villain with regard to the basis of the series, that being Harvey and Mike's secret of the latter never having attended Harvard and not being legally able to practice law. I'm not going to say you're wrong for merely stating an opinion, but the writers did frame the show with the intent of Mike and Harvey being liked by the fans, while any character who got in their way would (hopefully) draw the ire of the fans. Jessica was one of those characters, unfortunately or not.

As of the first few episodes of season two, Jessica has become less of a villain in the eyes of Mike and Harvey (and the viewer), and more of an uncertain, yet trustworthy ally--at least whenever it benefited their interests. As you reach the "middle" of season two, Jessica is fully on board Team Harvey once the collective threat of Daniel Hardman and the other anti-Pearson bloodsuckers forces Jessica and Harvey to work together.

However, despite their successful teamwork, the initial dilemma of Mike's credentials (or lack thereof) came back to the forefront once Jessica decided to use the issue to blackmail Mike into getting what she ultimately wanted (the merger with Darby, allegedly in order to sustain Pearson/Whatever's financials). While Mike and Harvey certainly merit the blame for any fallout that occurs as a result of "The Decision" to hire Mike (pop culture reference, FTW!), it was none other than Jessica who re-opened that can of worms when she and Harvey seemingly buried the hatchet.

I've said in the past that I've thoroughly disagreed with where the writers took Harvey in the latter part of season two, but perspective is still important for the purpose of discussion. Jessica deliberately went behind Harvey's back and compromised not only her own trust with him, but Harvey's confidence with Mike (not to say Mike doesn't deserve criticism) just so she could "win" by finalizing the very merger with Darby which she now appears to regret.

I can foresee and sympathize with the opinions of those who feel Jessica was entirely in the right when blackmailing Mike (as he never should have been hired there in the first place), but she still played Harvey like a fiddle after previously coming to terms with the "Mike didn't go to Harvard" quandary. If the idea to keep Mike on the Pearson/Whatever payroll was supported by Jessica when it suited her, suddenly turning around to use it against her detractors is the height of duplicity and moral turpitude.

It's not that I'm against Jessica or even in favor of Harvey (far from it), but he's essentially taking a page from her playbook and using it against her. If I remember correctly, did Jessica not say that she and Hardman had the other name partners "removed" from the firm at one point? Harvey is simply abiding by the same unspoken, yet apparently customary rules in relation to how the firm operates. I'm not going to bother with the race and gender aspects, either, because I feel it's counterproductive to the conversation.

In any case, Jessica was a villain at the beginning of the series, and she's regularly fluctuated between "helpful" villain and "antagonistic" villain. Now, Jessica is being pushed back into villainous territory. I don't see anything wrong with it, and would in fact applaud the writers for gradually eroding the morality line even further.
More +
Flag
The lack of spaces is not the author's fault, it's the comment system's wonky CMS showing proper spacing from a pasted message or something without parsing it correctly because it's misreading the breaks. Also, the community page's CSS is even more to blame because on non-community versions of the page the paragraph breaks show correctly. I run into this all the time.
Flag
Thank you. Isn't it a pain in the ass?! I don't even bother trying to fix and tweak it half the time.
Flag
Oh, never mind, then. Thanks for the input.

I feel like an ass. :(
Flag
If Harvey and Mike are supposed to be likeable protagonists I must have missed the memo.

The facts are: Jessica will stab people in the back for the sake of her firm, which employs hundreds of people, thus supporting their families.

Harvey backstabbed Jessica because he was a petulant little child who didn't get what he wanted. So screw him with a wire wrapped bat.
Flag
Harvey and Mike were supposed to be likable protagonists when the show first began. That's the point I was making, not whether they should be liked as of season three. Of course, unless you'd like to convince me that Harvey was unlikable even in season one? Of course he wasn't; his chemistry with Mike made the show what it is (or was).

Right, so backstabbing is perfectly legit so long as the person doing it has the "greater good" of the firm in mind. You won't find any disagreement from me on Harvey being childish, but that doesn't make Jessica a saint.
Flag
She's no saint. I'm not saying that she's a saint. But she is fundamentally a better person because her ruthlessness is directed towards the benefit of the many.
Flag
Sorry for lack of spaces I tried going in to edit and it and wasn't working so I just left it.

Anywho. I understand the show is Mike/Harvey FTW. I get it, I know that I'm fine with it because I actually loved Harvey when I first started watching the show. He instantly became my favorite. What I'm not keen on is this idea that in order for Mike and Harvey to flourish Jessica has to be undermined. But I completely know how the show is marketed. I'd just rather it be them all on one side as opposed to Jessica vs everyone else.

I also don't think Jessica and Harvey ever fully buried that hatchet in regards to Mike. One little tea set wasn't enough to fix that huge betrayal. I think they were sidetracked once Hardman came back but I don't think they ever went back to s1 Harvey and Jessica. I think she let it go for the moment, sucked it up and even takes a liking to Mike but I'm sure in the back of her mind there isn't a day she walks by and sees Mike and thinks to herself "Damn, this could cost me everything." Harvey and Jessica were walking a very cautious line that snapped in the s2 finale once she did blackmail Mike and once he went behind her back with that deal with Darby. They both crossed each others lines in what was the last straw for both of them. Harvey didn't like her using Mike to get what she wanted and She didn't like Harvey gambling her firm for what he wanted. They are both similar and not and that makes for so much conflict between the two of them. And I find myself stuck with who to root for. Even though lately it's been Jessica.

And in regard to him taking a page from her playbook, this is true but the only difference is Jessica was a founding partner along with those other people and we don't know why they were kicked out. Here we are given every reason as to why Jessica is getting ousted (I think? It's either because he is mad about the merger and going behind his back or the fact she blackmailed Mike I'm unclear but I'm sure it's one of those.) By someone she trusted and put a lot into.

More +
Flag
Don't mind my earlier complaint about the lack of spaces, I didn't know about the problems with the comment system and was unintentionally being an ass about it. Sorry. :/

Well, as I interpret the show's formula, the writers always need to undermine someone in order to make Harvey/Mike thrive as a team; whether it be Louis, Katrina, Jessica, Hardman, or whomever else, the movie-quoting duo is usually depicted as heroic with a semi-void of scruples, while the antagonist is simply worse (justifiable actions, or not).

The writers apparently enjoy tossing Louis from one side of the morality line to the other and back, but Jessica hasn't been portrayed as homogeneously (meaning, I've viewed her as an anti-villain at best, at least in regard to Harvey and Mike's story). I don't think that automatically makes Jessica out to be the "evildoer" anytime she's opposing Harvey and/or Mike, but the writers still require characters with whom the audience identifies, and--from their perspective--those characters consistently seem to be Harvey and Mike.

Jessica can, and might, fit the sympathetic role even better than Harvey or Mike (especially as of late), but I don't think that's what the writers deliberately want to depict. Granted, I could be flat-out wrong in my analysis and the writers may very well want to show a nicer side to Jessica, but I wouldn't be surprised if the later episodes of season three are all about rehabilitating Harvey.
More +
Flag
You ay you don't like how the females are written on this show, then you spend a page praising Jessica. Who was awful this episode. This episode solidified that Jessica was wrong and arrogant and petty and only pretends to have integrity, where Louis, who pretends he's underhanded actually has integrity. By the end of the episode everyone else was right and she was wrong. And soulless.
Flag
Jessica is just being the boss, because, well, SHE IS THE BOSS!!! When it comes to the firm, she has plenty of integrity, given it's her firm and she has done everything right to keep it afloat. Harvey, being the spoiled brat, is acting like the fixer who can fix ANYTHING, and at some point, he's gonna have to realize that just isn't possible. Jessica is quite possibly the only person in the world who can make him come to that realization.
Flag
It is not her firm (which is her own fault). She undermined the senior managing partner, which she had no right to do. In the legal sense, the firm belongs to all the partners. If you must say it is a single person's firm, that person is now Darby.
Flag
Was. Now Darby is. 51%,
Flag
That senior partner was Daniel Hardman, who was a complete schemer and an ass. He had it coming after everything he did. So she had every right to do it. I have no qualms against Darby. It is his firm for the most part.
Flag
I don't like how they are written. I don't like how Jessica is written to be incompetent, useless, and always undermined to make Harvey look good. So my praise of Jessica is the way I perceive her character to be even though the writers are trying to force this completely other direction on my poor eyes.

I never said Louis didn't so.... yeah. But they are really trying to get me to believe they all have this huge change of heart and I don't buy it. Integrity my ass he doesn't want Harvey to be mad at him again, he wants to be in with the cool kids again, this has nothing to do with Ava being guilty or not because everyone was ready to let her take the fall when they thought she was guilty. Please.
To each it's own. I don't think Jessica was wrong when her endgame is keep her firm a float and keep clients and she got what she wanted by keeping 14 mil in her pocket.

She's wrong and petty and arrogant because she doesn't just follow the crowd and let people walk all over her.Cool. At the end of the day Jessica didn't force the board to do anything, she didn't threaten them she didn't force them, she allowed Louis to do what he wanted which he did and conveniently in a turn of events she's not guilty and everyone is feeling oh so bad about it well whats done is done. Louis going back to the board and saying oh wait no no shes not guilty probably wouldn't have done anything anyway. Still unapologetically on her side. Makes me soulless, wrong, petty and arrogant so be it. Bringing Louis in has nothing to do with anything since I don't remember mentioning him.at all. I digress.

Thats one thing I don't understand about suits fandom. Jessica can do everything wrong and other characters do just about the same things in different ways and praise their light. Nope. Not gonna do that sorry I'm really actually not at all that sorry.
More +
Flag
That's a gross misinterpretation of everything written in these comment sections since the beginning of this season. Fans aren't praising the other characters over Jessica, all the characters have taken a beating from the fans this season, and deservedly so because the characters are all being written as horrible (though people are still using kid gloves with Donna).

I'd say until this week, Jessica was more well-liked this season than most of the characters. You've got some kind of vicarious persecution complex going on that is causing you to read every word with a certain bias and paranoia.

I'm just gonna quote the review since you didn't seem to make it to the bottom: "Basically, everyone's a jerk..."

See? No one is getting a pass for their behavior. Jessica was more horrible than everyone else this particular episode, but everyone has been horrible.
Flag
Hmmm. I guess. Well, at least you are more respectful than most and I can understand the points you made in contrast to mine and I can respect that. Maybe I just read to much into it or something.
Flag
*contrast
Flag
I think maybe your diatribe belonged on a different site then. I don't think it reflects the situation in this portion of the fan community. The end of this episode is the only time this season I'd say she really comes off as a worse person than everyone else, because they specifically went out of their way to contrat her with Louis (and to a lesser extent with Harvey, Mike, and Katrina). She's the only one who didn't feel bad about her Machiavellian ways harming an innocent woman. But this may be the only episode she came off as worse than absolutely everyone else. Every other time the impression I get reading the comments is that people see her as the same as everyone else, or slightly better.
Flag
I'd respectfully disagree. Jessica hasn't been liked by most people since the Mike/Harvey split. The only other character that takes as much heat as Jessica is Rachel (usually unjustified hate at that). On here it's tame but it gets way worse beyond TV.com there are a lot of people that are trying to make Harvey out to be this cookie cutter ball of perfection and Jessica thwarting his perfect ways.

I don't have a complex that causes me to read every word with bias because I agree with the reviewer never said I didn't. My argument is solely for those people who continue to shit on Jessica. I don't disagree with anything she said. She's probably one of the few people that gets that everyone is terrible. (mainly b/c writing this season is weird and I don't like it)

I am able to deal with Jessica's faults because there are some, albeit not as many as I think there are but she isn't perfect. And I've come across way to many people trying to make Harvey always right and morally correct and this perfect character without fault.

So maybe you misunderstood what I was saying because I wan't disagreeing with the reviewer. Not at all. I come here because she's one of the unbiased ones.
More +
Flag
Team Louis.
Flag
And I sincerely hope they don't star a Rachel-Mike-Katrina triangle. Done and done.
Flag
Jessica sold out to Darby. That's why Harvey's pissed: he thought they didn't need the sugar daddy, specially when it meant losing control of the firm.

The whole Ava bribe thing: I think you got things mixed up, MaryAnn. There was a bribe, but the 'legal' payment was also larger so that people could be reallocated.
Flag
Great episode, and it's always cool to watch Suits... no matter what people say.
I'm not playin' the game of "oh, so bored i watched the 3 previous episodes... and this one too (and i enjoyed it)" or the "that's the best episode of the season so far" game, cuz that's only the 4th of the season. Which means... hell, absolutely nothing.
I kind of like the ongoing plot resuming on several episodes. There's a tension growing bigger at each step, that's thrilling. And Ava is an interesting client... from one episode to the other, she unfolds differents sides of her personality, makin' other characters reveal theirs too (This analogy linking her to Hitler was so wrong... don't even see were it's coming from)
Can't wait to see how the war between harvey and Jessica's gonna turn out.
I sure hope for a tangle involving Katrina in the Mike/Rachel storyline, otherwise, what would be the point, right? ^^
I'm not seeing the current romance of Donna ending very well, Harvey being a royal a-hole with his eternal god-complex and all... but i sure hope she'll have fun as long as she can.
And... well, if i really had to chose, I'd chose team Jess; or better yet : team Louis.
I'm fed up of Harvey barking on everyone like he owns the place... I like the guy, really, but he has to learn the hard way : people have lifes & feelings... and he sure as hell doesn't know it all.
Another great weekly dose of sharp & fun sentences + references to other great shows. Really good acting even if most of the twists can be guessed.
Waiting for next week. Suits stays a good moment. So i stay tuned ^^
More+
Flag
apart from the Harvey point, I agree with what you said! Like you, I find the acting in this show still awesome, there are still great, witty lines and references to other shows. I also enjoy how beautiful and classy this series is! :)
There is just one thing I miss in this season: the friendly, brother-like aspect of Harvey-Mike relationship that was in s1 & 2. In this season, their special bond is broken!!^^ (snif) they're just colleagues and I feel like Harvey is still giving him the cold shoulder...so sad...
Flag
I was right, this whole thing (prob. whole season) will have been set up by Darby from the beginning. He made sure his shares were 51%over 49%, then hand selected this case, and is probably playing both sides of the case.

Darby has successfully divided the firm. He's taken Jessica's ace up the sleeve, Harvey. He brought in Stephen to play Harvey, and manipulate Donna. Donna thinks she's the one running the show, but sorry sister, I know what a lying user and grand manipulator looks like, and you've got a problem girl.

Was Darby the one who suggested Louis have the Hessington Oil case? Because then he would have also pitted Louis against Harvey, good thing Louis has morals. This move has also taken Louis out of Jessica's camp. Since Darby played Jessica knowing she'd go behind his back, and further divide her firm by upsetting Louis.

I still don't know if Darby wants Harvey or not, but by bringing Stephen, I think not. Unless he some how tricks Harvey in to accepting a lower position, possibly by using Stephen/ Donna's actions to black mail him. Which would only put Harvey on a mission to freaking destroy Darby. -->(Season 4?)

They're all bring played.
Darby is this season's big bad and they don't even see it coming.

BTW; in follow-up to Maryann's question, I'm team Donna.
More+
Flag
Me too, Team Donna! but don't you think that on some level she knows what she's got into? Well, I still have faith in her and I don't think she's a fool! ^^:)
Flag
I don't think she's a fool, but she is human.
She wasn't even sure what her arrangement actually was. And he's pretending to give her the reins, "I'm just a piece of meat to you."

I think she's well aware that they're using each other for sex. I don't think Donna expects him to use her against Harvey though, if she saw that coming, she'd never have sex with him the first place.
Flag
I watched the episode again last night and I agree with you on this point now. He's definitely giving her the impression that she's got the power over their "affair". I still don't share her attraction for Stephen. Sorry but he has zero charm. :(
As for the Harvey-Donna scene, I really, really love it! So much going on there...I can't wait to find out...
Flag
I think you misunderstood why Hessington won the contract. There was a bribe, but as part of their proposal Hessington ALSO pledged to spend money to relocate the locals. Two different transactions.
Love Donna and whatever-his-name-is.
Hate Jessica. Never liked her, and now she's just unbearable....every scene we see her in she's yelling and threatening someone.
Flag
Was I the only one that got the various Harrison Ford movie lines. The first when Louis was talking with Katrina and he said "I love you" and she said "I know" And then Mike saying "We're looking in the wrong place"? Or is this just me and I have seen Raiders and Return of the Jedi way too much.

I enjoyed the episode. I also think it was the best so far this season. Save for the cheesy ending with Mike and Rachel.

The whole Ava thing was kind of silly. Granted she only paid the warlord off because "that is the way it is done". But killing indigenous people in order to get pipelines through is also the way it is done. Her being in the business as long as she has. This isn't her first Rodeo, and she might not have wanted people killed, but at some point accepted that is something that happens, because it does. And while the whole this is relocation money allows the plot of Jessica vs everyone move forward. It was kind of silly. She can be innocent, but come on.

Now I am very much not on the Jessica camp. Mostly because Jessica would be the one that kicked people in the gas chambers and bribe individuals specifically to shoot people. Jessica as we have seen has no morals. At all. She will step over anyone in order to achieve her version of success. She is not a nice person, she has no loyalty. Nada.

Mike and Katrina are hilarious. They are setting her up to be a wedge between Mike and Rachel. She admitted to wanting Mike last season. Her contentious relationship with him is akin to primary schoolers picking on the one that they like. It is adorable and fun and will be such a nice contrast to Rachel and Mike. Plus I think jealous Rachel is going to be fun. Plus what happens if/when Mike cheats on her and how she deals with his secret.

Donna is Donna, it is great it is fun. It makes me wonder why they aren't showing her but have no problem showing Rachel.

Harvey might be acting like a child, but I think it is better than Jessica, by a lot.

Notes.
The interaction between Katrina and Louis are fantastic.

Harvey likely doesn't want Donna's focus on anything but her job. And likely he isn't going to appreciate that it is Stephen. Plus if Stephen is the British Harvey. Then I could go into some of the psychology of that and that she is really just fulfilling her fantasies about Harvey, but that likely could be lengthy.

I am still House Litt and maybe a little Katrina.

More+
Flag
Sorry to nitpick but the "I Love You / I Know" exchange was from Empire, not Return.
Flag
it was in both actually. In Empire it was Leia to Han right before he goes into carbonite freezing. In Return it was Han to Leia when they are at the base on endor right before they are almost caught and she has a gun to shoot their would be captors.

And that was officially the most nerdy thing I have ever written in my life.
Flag
True enough. That scene just paled so much in comparison to the original that's it's nowhere near as memorable.

If memory serves, Han's original response wasn't part of the script or was ad-libbed or something along those lines. Kinda sorta like the scene in Raiders when Indy shot the guy wielding the scimitar. I think the story went that HF was feeling really bad that morning and they decided that just blasting the bad guy would eliminate a very long day of filming the planned sword fight.

Funny how going off-script in both of those scenes created two of cinema's most memorable moments.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Really, how can you compare Ava to Hitler, or what Ava did to what Hitler did? There is no analogy there, just making a totally unfortunate comparisson out of nowhere to overemphasize the wrongs Ava did.
On other terms I have mixed feelings about the episode. I really enjoyed the whole conflict of interests situation because we got to see some legal reasoning behind the whole finding the solution situtation.
Mike's fake accent was no good.
Louis-Katrina are great together, it's nice to see that she understands him. Also, "if you were less attractive I'd love you" Awesome.
Katrina and Mike making up and all the lines was cool, it showed that they can actually work with each other when they behave like adults. The Rachel-jealousy-thing not-so-much. Neither was the "I love you" scene cute. I don't know why, but I'm bored of these guys.
Jessica was once more dynamic, and even though it became clear to her that she does not have that much influence to the company anymore, her comeback about the money was making clear that she would not surrender without a fight.
I am still annoyed with Harvey's attempt to take over the firm, after all that Jessica has done for him and also by the fact that his whole behaviour from the beggining of the season was based on his deal with Darbey.
And I finally I really didn't get why Donna was so terrified by Harvey knowing about her and Stev either. And really enjoyed her saying that she didn't think of Harvey and admitting to herself how strange that was.
That's all! Can't wait for the next three episodes!!! Especially the flashback one :)
More+
Flag
This show is weird in the context of how the writers can seemingly turn the characters' likability traits on and off with every consecutive episode. This week, Katrina is suddenly likable again, Rachel was a bit annoying with her subtle jealously, Darby was a total ass, and Jessica--while blunt and insensate--actually garnered my sympathy, even if only a small portion of it. Jessica and Harvey might not be that far apart, considering how each of the two sees their own future and the firm's future as essentially being one and the same.

I'm still not with "Team Harvey/Mike" (and probably won't be until the underlying factor of Harvey's "take down Jessica" scheme is resolved), but at least the two were pleasant enough to not attract my contempt. In fact, I can't say anyone aside from Darby was off-putting in this episode, because--while having their own personal objectives and rationales behind those goals--everyone appeared genuine enough to be believable.

Now, that doesn't mean I've decided to overlook Harvey's puerile actions and hypocritical attitude towards Jessica, but he's fighting for the top spot, his own pride and whatever else he feels is of personal significance. I don't like where Harvey's going/where Harvey's been taken as a character, so I hope the writers head towards a conclusion as soon as possible and bury the "overthrow Jessica" subplot, along with the Hessington Oil story line. Both have been played-out (at least in my own opinion), so it's time to move on.

Donna was enjoyably and wholly fantastic. I mean, it should go without saying that Donna Paulsen lights up any room she's in like a Christmas tree, but she was on fire last night. I've don't think I've ever seen a more witty, entertaining, bubbly, and attractive redhead woman of her age/position on television (Joan Holloway comes close), regardless of what outfit she wears, what the setting is, the demeanor spread across her face, etc.

Although, I just can't help shake the thought of Donna's "arrangement" with Stephen ending on bad terms, and/or compromising her friendship with Harvey. The Louis/Katrina pairing was surprisingly amusing, so I'm glad and grateful enough that the writers didn't ruin Louis further by sticking him with displeasing dead weight. Fortunately, it seems most of the cast is going through endless cycles of redemption.
More+
Flag
Comparing Ava Hessington to Hitler is hyperbolic, grossly so, offensive and ignorant of the facts of the deal she made for the pipeline. She paid $100M over the next highest bid, the excess funds intended to compensate any person or family within 50 miles of the pipeline whose lives or livelihoods would be impacted by installing and operating the pipeline. The $50K bribe she paid to the homicidal colonel was over and above this contract price. The evidence against Ava Hessington is circumstantial which is why Harvey and Mike believe her impressions and public persona are so critical. Did she really know what the outcome of her protection money would be? It may be reasonable to assume she did not have any foreknowledge that people would die as a result; corruption is not uncommon and occurs everyday the world round without people dying as a direct or even indirect result. Is it illegal in the US? Yes. Does that mean that every company with US concerns abstains from engaging in such practices in order to comply with US regulations? No.

I also have a different take on Jessica's behavior. Before Hardman returned Jessica ran the firm unopposed and Harvey was her loyal little pit bull who always served every one of her commands and no one ever questioned Jessica. Ever.

Jessica created this untenable situation that we, the audience, are suffering the most over, because she couldn't be asked to remember that Harvey was in fact not a pit bull but a man with his own goals and ambitions, which she utterly devalued, first during the Hardman debacle and then again with the Darby merger (establishing a pattern). Had she taken the time to treat Harvey as more of a partner or co-conspirator then this entire trivial, nonsense situation might easily have been avoided. She was willing to engage with Harvey as a committed team when it suited her and then marginalized him when she wished to serve her unilateral ends. How many self-respecting people wouldn't feel shit upon in such a situation?

Then, because this formerly savagely intelligent woman seems to have lost her marbles, she willfully used one of her employees as an agent to undermine new partner Darby's dear step-daughter's position within her faltering international business concern after Darby expressly stated this was not to be pursued. In doing this she irreparably damaged her relationships with Darby, the co-managing partner in their now international law firm, with Louis, who was looking for her to support him in doing the right thing and was instead forced to operate against his own principles, with the client Ava Hessington, unlikely to forgive or forget this betrayal, and with Harvey and Mike, who will just become further entrenched in the plan to oust Jessica from the firm, now with the full backing and support of Darby and the London offices.

Until now I felt pretty certain that Darby had agreed to this entire plan of Harvey's never intending to actually follow through. He would have let Harvey work his magic and score his wins, serving Darby's immediate needs to protect Ava and sort out Hessington Oil, and then Darby would have found some loophole or argument to renege, outfoxing Harvey and forcing him to remain in the NY office with Jessica at the helm, thereby repairing the Jessica/Harvey rift by making Darby the "bad guy" Harvey could focus his enmity on. Until Jessica pulled this juvenile BS, she was still a perfectly serviceable asset to the firm from Darby's perspective. Harvey's feelings may have been hurt, his ego bruised, ambitions thwarted, whatever, but he was a single dissident who could be managed.

But Jessica just couldn't stand being told what to do, and instead of working on finding a solution to serve the needs of everyone she spent her time and energy working on a plan to thwart Darby and give him the finger. The plan Mike had to have Ava speak to her Board may or may not have worked, certainly the company's stock price was taking a hit and hadn't seen the bottom yet, but stock prices recover, the Board could have ridden it out. Given Ava's rather rash plan to terminate the pipeline project at the conclusion of the trial I actually cannot argue with the decision to remove her from her position, at least for the short-term, but Jessica's actions in all of this are the true genesis for her own removal and she has been the architect of her own demise in this. She could have achieved this same result had she gone to the Board herself, proposed they consider retaining Ava and Pearson-Darby, and let the Board make their decision. Even if they voted Ava out the Board would not wish to also put the company through the turmoil of terminating legal counsel as well: a firm such as Hessington Oil likely has contracts in jurisdictions all over the world, requiring an exceptionally high level of complexity and maintenance. Switching law firms would be a massive and costly undertaking.

Jessica was unprofessional, her behavior borders on negligent, and she just ended the honeymoon phase of this new partnership with a declaration of war. As tedious as the aptly titled "rich people problems" are, in Jessica's case the worst offenses are ultimately self-inflicted.

More+
Flag
If I may.
Harvey lost all privileges once she found out he lied to her/has been lying to her/jeopardizes her career/her firm with hiring Mike with no remorse.
Sure she didn't want Hardman back but guess how he got back, the moment Harvey threatened to tell his daughter (something Jessica DID NOT know about until late season 2) and going along with Harvey breaking that trust and making her and her firm valuable, Hardman is the same way he broke her trust all those years ago and even that one episode where he completely disrespected her during her disposition with Monica he crossed lines. When someone you look up to, someone that taught you what you know essentially tells you that you were nothing to them, and then to go into her personal affairs thats humiliating for sure. I don't think Jessica was ever over this, and I don't think she ever will be. Her and Harveys relationship was on a thin rope then on. Sure she got over it but she will never forget it.
Jessica also never forced Louis to do anything, because he came to her and was all game when he thought she was guilty and now he watched a video of her confessing with tears and everyone is having this sudden super change of heart. Please. Louis wanted to do it, Jessica let him do it. That's it. If they did that for every client they felt bad for they would have no money.
Harvey isn't Jessicas partner, he isn't her co-founder, he isn't her equal, he is her employee, he is her mentee, he is her underling. She doesn't have to consult with Harvey on things like merging her firm because it's not about what he wants which is what Harvey always makes it out to be. Even when she explicity told him he wasn't ready to be a name partner he wasn't ready for this huge responsibility because he doesn't see the bigger picture he doesn't look at the future he is concerned about winning and the present and you can't have that perspective so she told him no. And because Harvey can't take someone saying no to him he does everything her can to undermine her authority (which is what he did all last season finale) of course she is going to put him in his place. Jessica lets Harvey get away with things because she knows he will produce results that make the firm, herself and Harvey look good. Yet, there are times where they aren't on the same page and Jessica has to look at if from a different standpoint than Harvey does.
And I agree Darby had no intention of putting Harvey up as a managing partner and even with this fight with Jessica he still won't. You think if Harvey is successful at taking Jessica out Harvey won't act out once Darby starts having more control? You think Harvey will sit and be number two? No like Jessica they will always try to be number one. Darby knows this he isn't stupid. So I'd love to see how that turns out because if Harvey has been working under Jessica his mentor for years and barely listens to her, there is a greater chance if given power he won't listen to Darby either.
I think the way they set the story up was that Hessington Oil was going to leave PH if Ava didn't step down. The way they set it up was one had to lose for one to win. That much is clear, having Ava and the company would have been way too cookie cutter clean. I mean they already have Ava not guilty which took away what could have been a great storyline.
Everyone in that office is unprofessional if we wanna go there, and Jessica's problems aren't as much self inflicted as they are caused by other people challenging, undermining, and if you are Harvey lying to her.
More +
Flag
The mentor/mentee relationship is not static. You are not perpetually ten years ahead. Never be a mentor if you have no intention of treating your student as an equal. It's like having kids, after a couple decades parents have to adjust to the fact their kids are adults. Harvey is no longer under Jessica's tutelage. They are now equal in capability and arrogance. This is why people generally have to leave the place their mentors work, because people like Jessica aren't grown up enough to recognize when their students become their equals.
Flag
Harvey and Jessica, to me, have never had a student/teacher relationship, or mentor/mentee. Harvey has simply been Jessica's first-in-command. Jessica didn't teach him a darn thing. That's where that other DA came in. That was Harvey's teacher. Jessica simply saw Harvey's potential and hired him. End of Story.
Flag
Harvey isn't her equal tho. That's the thing. Harvey is still Senior Partner for a reason. They aren't equal she is still his boss. At this moment they aren't equals. Thats the problem is that Harvey and Jessica have a personal relationship that goes beyond the walls of PearsonDarby. In terms of personal relationships yes they are equals I see that, however on the professional side of things they are not. So when Jessica makes decisions they are business decisions that come from Jessica his boss and NOT Jessica his mentor and friend and that's all it is. He can't separate that line, the way Jessica is able to do more or less. Thats like my mentor treating me as an equal right now. Of course she won't because we aren't on the same level professionally. I have so much more to learn from her. And I don't have to do it by standing in her shadow every 5 seconds because with each day that passes I am still learning, and she is still teaching me to one day become her equal or even better than that. Jessica had every intention on doing that, we saw it in the original pilot episode when she had that meeting with what was supposed be Hardman where she said she wants Harvey to be her successor she knew he would be when she invested all her time energy and money into him thats her endgame, now just because she doesn't do it when he wants her to makes him trying to take over be okay? No it's not. It's really not. Esp when she flat out told him, Harvey given your actions as of late you aren't ready yet, I mean this you still need to grow you still have progress to make you name isn't ready to be up there yet once again Jessica the Boss, Jessica owner of Pearson (at the time) the person who is looking out and making sure her firm will be fine in good hands even if God forbid she was to ever leave (AND he wants all this in the span of a year when he has been Senior Partner all of a few months) She was more than willing to give him what he wanted all along until he undermined her with Darby in the finale. He brought that on himself.
More +
Flag
This is a common aphorism in American business. Everyone rises to their level of incompetence. If you are a good lawyer does not make you a good leader. She, being the same as Harvey is too prideful for leadership, takes things too personally, and doesn't compromise enough. She's risen to a job she isn't suited for, which is how she ended up losing control of her firm.
Flag
Professionally, they're equal. I'll agree with that. But she is DEFINITELY NOT incompetent. She just knows how to play the game and get the job done.
Flag
He is her equal professionally. Probably her better. Her position in the firm doesn't mean she's his better professionally, it just means she's risen to her level of incompetence, as one does. As to Harvey not being ready, that's probably true, the fallacy is that Jessica is. She and Harvey are basically the same.
Flag
How bad was Mike's English accent? I was just cringing. I feel like the show is on a slide up, which I'm glad about. I really cannot take Jessica's side, I have too many issues with her. And Katrina was really great in the episode, surprisingly.
Flag
I to hope Ava leaves soon. If only this were some mythical, supernatural show (not that I want it, or think we need more of this type of show) but if it was Ava could conceivably die. As it is I think we are going to be stuck with her for along time.
Flag
Mike's journey seems to have been completely absorbed into the callous world of selfish greed by Harvey and the gang at Pearson Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Mike is the show's audience surrogate and yet Mike has lost his soul to the law, he doesn't smoke weed or hang out with friends, he doesn't HAVE friends anymore, his family is dead, he's no longer a grounded person in any way, and instead of being talented due to an eidetic memory he's just a kid who pokes around the intention of being clever with the law. Not only is Mike off the rails, but Harvey has less personal interests now too, they are just tools for the storytelling with less personalities than they used to have, they are becoming caricatures of themselves.

Anyway, this was definitely a "rich people problems" episode, and I stand by my claim before that everything that happened here felt like a course in the flash over substance elements of the previous three episodes, nothing felt new or exciting or adequate, just yelling and repeating beats we just saw previously.

Ava's guilt always seemed like a stretch, she's guilty by proxy either way since she colluded to commit bribery with a murderer. Of course, how American law applies to a foreign national (Ava) working on yet a different foreign country's soil in terms of collusion and bribery is beyond me, this always felt like a soft spot that I could get around until now because it's the lynchpin of the case. So her "I did it for the families" tearful bullshit means exactly nothing, you paid someone without a paper trail and that person used his military might to kill innocents, the end. This storyline feels like it's going to run the whole season at this point thanks to episodes like this that takes us back to the same beats over and over a la Groundhog's Day.

Jessica is defintely NOT Pearson-Someguy the lawfirm, she's missed a lot of steps in the past 3 seasons, she's blown several calls and her omniscient omnipotence has become comically twisted into blustering, bullying nonsense bordering on incompetence.

The show is working hard to justify Katrina without actually having her be who she was. She's driven and bitter and uses tooth & claw to become more like Harvey, yet she's friendly and bantery and quippy and tosses catchphrases back and forth with Mike despite not many hours before pulling the most idiotic power play move in the form of a high school-level childish and dickish prank. They aren't earning her value the way they do with Louis, Louis is still Louis while unfolding more layers that build his character, Katrina is becoming all charming shortcuts.

Donna and Steve, if this is just a fling it's fine, if it becomes a relationship that's friggin' creepy given Donna's feelings towards Harvey and Steve's similarities to said Harvey. If Steve ends up breaking Donna in some way (her heart is only the beginning, I can see broken heart followed up by douchey power move that screws her job over or screws Harvey's case over), that'd really suck, so I'm hoping that's not the big twist there.

- It's Harvey's business who Donna bangs only insomuch as when it affects her job or it affects the firm.

- Ugh, hated that Rachel jealous moment towards the end, burn that scene with fire.

- Nobody came away likable here that DESERVED to be, so no allegiance pledged. The show made a case for Ava and Katrina to be likable this episode, but as I just covered, that's unacceptable.
More+
Flag
Bribery? Murder? Guilty? I don't see it that way now that we know the truth. She provided humanitarian aid to a foreign government and the money was misappropriated to kill people. If she's guilty by proxy so is every government or foundation who has ever given aid to a country in Africa or the Middle East.
Flag
Assuming this is somehow all under US jurisprudence and applies equally, she's guilty of greasing the wheels illegally no matter the righteous justification. Under the law, if a murder takes place during the commission of a felony or if a murder takes place to further the commission of a felony, all those who are guilty of that felony whether they were the murderer or not are as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger.

The illegality of any felony act in the commission of the larger crime that led to murder makes all guilty parties accountable for the murders. By Harvey pleading Ava guilty to bribery in an attempt to collude to do business with the party that ultimately committed murder in order to further the ongoing bribery and corruption so that Harrington Oil could continue to do business, Ava is a proxy to that murder in the eyes of the law and she can be held to felony murder statutes.

Even if it was actually for aid, which is not at this point provable, by admitting guilt to doing it as a bribe she's guilty of felony murder. She already stepped on that landmine, and in fact Harvey didn't want to allow it to be called "guilty" but he was coerced into shoving Ava onto that landmine.
More +
Flag
Oh, I see, you don't know. That "law" is unenforceable bullshit. No one follows it because it's impossible. She wasn't saying that's how it's done over there because that's how all the successful businesses do it. That's how everything involving a 3rd world government is done, period. Anyone, at any time, may demand a bribe, which you must pay immediately. You don't get to phone a friend. If you want a phone installed, pay a bribe; if you want a driver's license, pay a bribe; if you want to cross a border without getting thrown in jail or lose your passport, pay a bribe; if you land in Kenya and want to leave the airport with your luggage, pay a bribe. Business do it, government employees do it, christian missionaries do it. Everyone budgets for it. Your local representative who lives there and speaks the language will probably do it as a matter of course without even telling you at first, because you don't know the language and the culture, and because it would never occur to him to tell you right away because he does. Same with shaking hands or eating with the wrong hand because it's the hand you wipe with.
More +
Flag
We don't know that. It was never stated. He said he took the LSATs for other people. He did not say if he passed the bar for someone else or if he just did it on a lark.
Flag
"Mike Ross" didn't pass the bar, Mike Ross illegally passed the test for a different and presumably now-practicing lawyer, so it either doesn't count or does count and he admits to the fraud and is then immediately stripped from the bar anyway.
Flag
He did pass the bar, which is why the show's premise is really stupid. In NY in that year that would make him a real lawyer. He did not say it, but perhaps we are to assume he did THAT under someone else's name as well. Pretty weak that they either got the rule wrong or didn't bother to specify which one he broke. They bang on about him not attending law school, but that wasn't a real rule yet, if it even is now.
Flag
And yet, it's Suits, where Mike Ross has been a Harvard lawyer for 3 years without passing the bar.
Flag
You're right, we've deviated way too far into fairy tale land, there is no situation where a foreign owner from a foreign country would ever be brought to court under this unenforceable law. There is no logic that applies any more. It's already completely off the rails.
Flag
That is immaterial to the course of law represented on the show though, otherwise there's no way Cameron Dennis could have convinced the office to bring those charges - nobody would give a green light to such a suit if there wasn't a strong expectation of success.
Flag
For someone who apparently thought this was the episode of the season, there was butt load of naysaying in this review... Hitler?? Hating everyone?? I've gone back to liking basically everyone except Jessica. Too much condescension and nastiness...
Flag
Staff
It was the least-sucky episode in a string of sucky episodes.
Flag
Fair enough. I can't help but enjoy this show whether its on its game or not :)
Flag
It's been a pretty weak season so far, maybe that's why.
Flag
The CN Tower, the Royal York Hotel, and Roy Thompson Hall are 3 of Toronto's biggest landmarks and all three were shown in one intentional shot. There's no way that shot was an accident, it couldn't have been. That whole conversation could've been done with a level angled shot. I get leaving the CN tower in the background of a city skyline but to have all those in one shot destroys any suspension of disbelief I might have, lazy camera work.
Flag
Ironically the show is shot in Toronto. :D
Flag
Loved this episode. The shout-outs to the wire were awesome: Sheeeeiit!!! LOL!! Also when Louis said Harvey got "Litt up" and "If you were less attractive, I'd love you"!!! Hell yeah!! Of course Katrina set that up well with "Do you want a gun or a knife?" I knew pairing Katrina and Louis together would be awesome for us, but horrible for opposing counsel. Man, seeing those two in action together was great. Too bad opposing cousel was Harvey and Mike. Like I said, I like Harvey, but right now, he's a spoiled brat that needs to be put in his place by Jessica. Mike's an innocent victim in this, so I have nothing against him.

Well said about Eva Hessington, by the way. I totally agree. If she had come with that heartfelt explanation weeks ago, I would've sympathized with her. However, her impetuous nature kept leading me to believe that she was stone cold guilty. Where the hell were these tears of sympathy before woman?!! She put herself in this position, and I just can't 100% feel sorry for her because of that. Her sad victim state came waaaay to late for my taste.

I'm still also firmly on Jessica's side. She was just doing her job with shafting Ava out of her company. The Board of Directors voted, and cut her out. That wasn't Jessica's decision, it was theirs. End of story. For Darby and Harvey (wow what a rhyme lol) to come at her like that was bullcrap to me, especially on Harvey's part. Who the hell does he think he is accusing her of using this "ploy" to get back at him? What a douche thing for him to think!! Go Jessica!!!

The Donna/Steve dynamic was so much fun to listen to and watch lol!! "This dress deserved me" and "I was awesome, oh, you meant Steve"!!! LOL!!! Man she cracks me up! Those two are gonna create a lot of drama when Harvey eventually finds out. Donna made the right decision not to tell Harvey yet, as he was obviously not in the right mood; not that there will EVER be a good time to tell him. Too bad, cause Donna deserves happiness too!!
More+
Flag
Staff
I had to rewind the "If you were less attractive..." bit because I couldn't believe he said that. And then I rewound it once more because it made me laugh so hard. :D

Yeah! Team Jessica! For now! Because I'm always prepared for this show to turn my allegiances on their heads.

Donna deserves happiness too! Exactly!
Flag
Quality does not make up for too little quantity. More Mike/Rachel sappiness, stat!

Donna: huzzah for the queen providing the funnies.

Louis: do you see what happens when you try to do shady things?

Rachel: is it me, or throughout this season, aside from the beginning, when she's on screen, do things lighten up and turn happy? For whatever reason, she's become the happiness fairy this season.

Harvey: funny that Darby likes him and lets him have free reign, while Jessica and Louis are constantly stepping on his toes.

Jessica: for the umpteenth time, Machiavellian and wrong. Again. Only 4 episodes in and she's starting to regret the merger she just made several weeks back, she screwed up massively in regards to Ava twice (take the guilty plea, oust her from company) over the course of a few days...why exactly are we supposed to root for her again? Because she was a good mentor to Harvey once upon a time? You mean like Hardman was to her? Oops.

Mike: funny in that despite the fact that he has that amazing mind, his real superpower seems to be to bring out people's capacity for goodness. Rob Zane, Monica, Katrina, Harvey...Jessica seems to be immune so far.

Ava: MOAR AVA. Michelle Fairley is amazing. I just wish we'd get to see her interact with Rachel/Donna. That'd make for some great laughs.
More+
Flag
LESS Ava. Her protracted presence and that awful voice made me turn away and not watch last night's ep. Just can't take any more of her. Sorry.
Flag
I miss the case-of-the-week episodes season 1 and 2's summer half had...
Flag
I'm all for a long case; I don't mind that. I just can not take that woman's voice. I'm not usually like that about people, but I honestly can't take any more of her.
Flag
It's Wednesday morning, where's my review? PRESSURE! Ha, kidding. Whatevs.

Anyway, this really felt like an identical episode to the beats in the last few and had much less new going on. There were cute moments, but I tire of episodes like this where it's all flash and no substance.

And trying to make Kaitlin likable is an exercise in futility, she's not the female Louis and she's not a worthwhile character at this point. Also, I have officially forgotten what she has on Mike which is a problem because they need to establish that occasionally to make her a credible threat.

Flag
An ethics violation.
Flag
I meant Katrina and you still knew what I meant, awesome. Mike broke client privilege to her when shew as ADA and now she has power over him via that. Totally forgot.
Flag
The days between episodes are so, so long! Best show on tv.
Flag
You need to watch better shows.
Flag
It's at least a candidate for the best show that isn't between seasons and isn't aired on Sundays. :)
Flag
Mike: "If I'm Forest Gump, you're Bubba..."
Harvey {in Bubba's voice}: "Shrimping Business"

Hilarious!!!!! So Hilarious!
Flag
Ok... so this episode was interesting to say the least. Katrina actually evolved as a character instead of being the "bitchy business rival" to Mike. Like Louis, Katrina is quite good at what she does, and she and Mike work quite well together when they set aside the pettiness that she had during the past few episodes. The fact that she gave Mike credit for his idea is a huge step for her. HOWEVER, it appears that Katrina is being set up as the romantic rival for the season, like Jenny was in season 1 and Not-Jenny was in season 2 (I refuse to acknowledge those two horrible episodes.) Katrina has become what Rachel COULD HAVE BEEN... strong, reliable, feisty, and a huge help to Mike, Harvey, and the firm in general. If Katrina ends up banging Mike in the file room mid-season and the latter winter season is a love triangle between her, Mike, and Rachel, I am going to be SUPER pissed... twice is enough, Mike got Rachel, at the expense of any character development she could've had. Seriously, has Rachel done ANYTHING this season other than have sex with Mike and joke around with Donna? Don't make the mistake of doing this to Katrina! I actually LIKE her now!

Donna's subtle sexcapades with Stephen was pretty funny. Glad she FINALLY has a relationship. But, as I predicted, Harvey is the center of her universe, and he made it abundantly clear that she needs to devote ALL of her time to him. Sad.

Despite Harvey's explosion at the most awesome woman on the show, I am glad that Harvey has turned back to the jerk with the heart of gold. The reveal that Ava is actually innocent was a very nice touch, and you can visibly see that once Harvey found out, his efforts in defending her doubled and for once his anger at Jessica is justified. He's no longer a bratty kid holding a grudge because Mommy wouldn't let him win. He's genuinely fighting for the sake of a wrongfully accused woman.

Jessica... this episode pretty much put her into a bad light. There's no doubt that she thought Ava was guilty, and I suppose her action in sending Louis on a wetwork operation seemed logical at the time, but her reaction when Louis told her that Ava is innocent and refusing to let him fix his mistake just seems like Jessica is becoming a female version of Harvey. Darby, though irritating in how he keeps pulling the 2% card on Jessica, is understandably upset at Jessica's trickery, though the end scene between them just made it look purely as a set up to vote Harvey in as managing partner. I wish Jessica could be painted as the firm but wise boss in season 1 instead of the Starscream to Darby's Megatron.

Louis was all over the place this episode. He was the manipulative weasel of season 1, the unforgiving grudge holder of summer-half season 2, and the understanding boss and compassionate human being of latter season 2 and episode 2 of season 3. I think he made a big mistake in not bringing Mike to confront the "gatekeeper" solely because he hated being ordered what to do by Harvey (though Katrina convinced him to let Mike come before Harvey got there) If Mike HAD been there, maybe Louis wouldn't have been beaten back. However, Louis's reaction to the revelation of Ava's innocence and trying desperately to correct his mistake in convincing the board to fire her showed that Louis is still the most fleshed out characters of the show. Katrina compliments him perfectly, though a part of me still wishes Mike was Louis's associate for this half of the season, because I doubt Katrina would go mudding with Louis. (BTW, Louis's Power Walk at the beginning was genius. I love Rick Hoffman.)

Mike stayed relatively the same except for finally getting along with Katrina and telling Rachel he loved her. Please don't let there be a romantic triangle between the three of them.

Overall, best episode of the 3rd season yet, but I'm wary about the payoffs that this episode has set up. 9 out 0f 10.
More +
Flag
well said!
Flag
Probably the best episode of the season! We got to know everyones motive and what they are fighting for. BTW is it just me or is Darby a prick :L like ssly dude chill no1 cares abt u NNN donna n stephen!!! :O i cnt belive she didn't rell harvey hes gnno freak coz he does hav loyalty issues! anywys brill episode cnt w8 fr the nxt!
Flag
Michelle Fairly has been a great addition to this season. Hopefully she gets another more perminant gig soon.
Flag
Amanda Schull (Katrina) needs to be a regular cast member.
Flag
"what just happened to him?"
"he got litt up"
"damn straight"

Louis just won life. I can die a happy now.
Flag
OMG, this episode was filled with so many hilarious comments! yours being one of them!!!
Flag
R: "Because you weren't thinking with your brain."
D: "Good one."
R: "You were thinking with your --"
D: "-- I got it."

Got what? I don't get it! What was she thinking with? Her shoes? Her dress?! Her red hair?! What?! Why didn't they let Rachel finish her line?! Now I'll never know what Donna was thinking with. *sad face*
Flag
Her hoo-ha sir, her hoo-ha.

(I guess I like the word "hoo-ha", and the way Sophie used it on Leverage).
Flag
Also, seriously... the constant S-bombs in that one scene were a bit annoying. Not offensive-annoying, just "OK we GET it" annoying.

Not that I'm a prude or anything; I curse casually and find no problem with using it in my day-to-day.

But it's like USA was just trying too hard. I mean, it was like 20+ times within a 3 minute period when they were looking at the paperwork. It reminded me of that South Park episode years back where they said it over and over and over and...
Flag
That scene is a reference to a classic scene from The Wire, episode 1x04. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO0WW2QXIYc. I don't think the Suits version really worked. "Shit" isn't as flexible a word as "fuck". You can say "fuck the fucking fuckers", but not "shit the shitting shitters".

I thought the fact that they *tried* to do a shit version of that scene was funny, but I think I would have liked it more if the dialogue had acknowledged that their version didn't really work.

I think they should have held the "eeee" part of the Clay Davis shit a bit longer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr0A7TofowE.

It actually annoyed me a bit that they used the word "shit" so much in this episode. I don't mind it when it seems like the right word to say, but it felt like they threw in a few extra ones just because they could. For example, it didn't seem quite right when Jessica said it near the end.

I think the word "shit" is made much more noticeable by the fact that they're going out of their way to avoid saying "fuck".

By the way, *thank you* tv.com for allowing us to use these words here. I love the fact that we can do that, and that almost no one is abusing it.
More +
Flag
Shit? Oh shit, I said shit. Shit! Sorry. Sheeeeit.
Flag
LOL. But yeh, that's what the conversation sounded like for a minute there.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ha ha ha ha Harvey Harvey harvey dent
Flag
Great so first we have to deal with a couple episodes of Harvey being snippy at Mike. Which I didn't mind TOO much.

But now he's getting snippy with Donna? DONNA?! BOOOO!!!

Granted he was upset about Jessica in general and Donna was just nearby to take collateral damage. But still, not cool bro.

On the other hand, it looks like s*x is Donna's kryptonite. Between her forgetting to do something (that's not what Donna does) and a scene from next week's trailer... it seems like Donna's superior skills are on the decline :-(

Flag
How long was Donna away from her desk anyway? Ten minutes? Half an hour? It doesn't seem like a good reason for Harvey to interrogate her.
Flag
Another fantastic episode. And really, i have to say it again, how awesome is Katrina? Her and Louis is tv magic! I really hate when an episode of suits ends, reality is just not as good ey...
Flag
I think she's OK, but not more. Anyone can deliver lines like "he got Litt up". I think what this episode shows is just that Louis needs someone to talk to, and it doesn't matter a whole lot who it is.
Flag
Regardless of how great i think Katrina is, you might be right there. But that's another testament to Louis Litt's & really Rick Hoffman's awesomeness!
Flag
Katrina is awesome, no doubts about it. And her team up with Louis is the highlight of S3.
Flag
Well, now we know Mike is his evil British twin.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members