A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E16: “Heartburn”

I will admit that I was skeptical when I realized that "Heartburn" was going to become an emergency-inspired Louis Litt love fest, mostly because Suits is kind of horrible to Louis on a regular basis and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of watching everyone weep at his bedside only to turn around and screw him over one episode later. In actuality, however, "Heartburn" was a surprisingly self-aware episode and the weeping felt sincere, and once Suits decided to go with the Pearson-Specter "family" angle, well, that explained a lot. Families are weird and tend to be full of people who certainly love each other, but don't necessarily like each other. 

Louis Litt's awesome morning devolved into a crappy morning and then a really crappy morning when he keeled over during closing arguments during some rando case that, like so many of the cases on Suits, didn't really matter. "Heartburn," more than any other episode of Suits to date, was exceptional at highlighting that aspect of the series. The best episodes, the most interesting stories, are those that remain within the firm itself and revolve around the core players at Pearson-Specter. 

And where is everyone as of the conclusion of "Heartburn"? Oh, they're all over the place. Rachel panicked when she saw the bazillion-dollar bill for her law school tuition, and then she panicked some more when Jessica revealed that Louis hadn't included the tuition coverage in Rachel's rehire. What was initially painted as a huge defeat for Rachel ultimately ended up being an impressive victory and a promising start to her future as an attourney when, with a little help from the usual suspects, she managed to persuade Jessica to honor the verbal agreement Louis made by arguing that making an investment in Harvey—Jessica paid for his Harvard education back in the day—has served the firm well. Cracks about the accuracy of that sentiment aside, Rachel's point was made, though I totally agree with Donna that if Rachel had been honest with Louis about what she was asking for, instead of tip-toeing around with that "my friend made a verbal agreement" crap, she probably could have saved herself a lot of anguish. Whatever, it all worked out. 

Mike also landed a victory—but his put him in an uncomfortable position when it resulted in a promising job offer away from the ticking time bomb that is his law career. A gig as an investment banker would allow Mike to maintain his swanky New York lifestyle, but would smash the pesky glass ceiling that's been blocking his way at Pearson-Specter because his (lack of) law school credentials theoretically wouldn't matter anymore. The decision seems obvious, but there's really no Suits without the Mike-and-Harvey dream team, so I think Mike's answer seems obvious, especially in the wake of all this "family" brouhaha. 

I can't help but question the wisdom of keeping Mike at Pearson-Specter, though. Even if Mike decides that he doesn't mind working hard while knowing that he will never be promoted or publicized for fear of revealing the truth about his employment, wouldn't someone, anyone, internally at the firm eventually start to find it odd that the best and brightest associate is never rewarded for his awesomeness? He's Harvey Specter's righthand man and heir apparent. Sidwell noted that given Mike's brilliance, Mike would probably be running the firm before he turned 40, and Sidwell can't be the only person to harbor such observations. The firm is in a rough position: Promote Mike and garner unwanted attention. Don't promote Mike, and eventually garner unwanted attention. Mike (probably) isn't going anywhere, however, so I'm curious to see how the situation plays out. I don't think it's a conflict that can be wrapped up in the two remaining episodes of Season 3, but it's certainly a strong-enough story to carry us into Season 4. 

But let's finally address the center around which the whole of "Heartburn" revolved: Louis's brush with death inspired him to be proactive about his relationship with Sheila, and he proposed! And she accepted! And then, as tends to happen when proposals are rushed in the heat of the moment, the pair fought about the logistics of their marriage: She's based in Boston and he's in New York. Neither one had any intention of leaving a thriving career to start over again, but Sheila came around to ditching Harvard for Louis. She couldn't, however, abandon her no-kids stance, and Louis refused to budge on his own desire to be a dad. I totally refuse to take sides here. Sheila's willingness to give up Harvard was huge, but asking Louis to abandon his dreams of fatherhood is a totally different argument, and relationships that rely on quid pro quo to function generally aren't the happiest or healthiest. I think there's certainly still hope for Louis and Lady Louis. They need to talk. I need them to talk because I love them. They certainly love each other, but when it comes to envisioning an ideal solution for them, I'm stumped. 

Donna took the opportunity to tell Harvey to call Scottie and apologize in the wake of Louis and Sheila's break-up. I'm still trying to understand that angle—Donna seems so, so eager to make Harvey/Scottie work that I suspect she might be trying to overcompensate for her own feelings. But I might also be delusional. What do you think?

As for what I think about "Heartburn" as a whole: Even though I was initially skeptical about the premise, the execution completely won me over. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for Louis and I tend to be a little sensitive to the casual abuse he's dealt at the hands of his co-workers, but the presentation of the Pearson-Specter dynamics as those of a family repaint the members of the firm in a different, more sympathetic light. Suits needed this episode, and it needed it at this time, in the wake of all the trauma and misery of the first half of the season, and I am so excited as we move forward. So excited.

CASE NOTES

– "I know, I'm an asshole." So meta, Harvey. 

– Donna: "You let the associates raise your blood pressure." Louis: "Because they're stupid." <3

– Is there still hope for Sheila and Louis? (SAY YES.)

What'd you think of "Heartburn"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/20/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

135 Comments
Comments (100)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"I know, I'm an asshole." So meta, Harvey.-- THIS IS NOT METAPHYSICAL AT ALL... It is a statement of fact. Like object x has property y... It states nothing further about object x other than it has property y. Now, if you say that property y is some form of watered down version of a idealized abstract concept than you would speaking in metaphysical terms! At best, perhaps, Harvey has stated an ontological fact about himself--one that is not very deep.
Flag
Best episode of the season by a mile! This season has in my opinion been very lack lustred so far but this episode actually managed getting me to feel.
Flag
- I really like new Harvey! I do hope they don't "break" him!
- How fabulous is Donna? I love how she rushed to Louis' bedside!
- Rachel was awesome when she negotiated with Jessica, but annoying when she "confronted" Louis... Could we please have more awesome Rachel, and less annoying Rachel?

Flag
Sheila and Louis is most likely not going to happen, especially with Sheila now starring in 'Surviving Jack.'
Flag
I think Louis might have been more receptive to Sheila's "no kids EVER" rule if it weren't for his parents. His parents have been hounding him for years to have kids, essentially making all his other accomplishments worthless. (Exhibit A would be when he announced his Senior Partnership, and they practically said "so what? When are we gonna get grandchildren?" Louis has an inferiority complex and strives to be a winner at everything. This caused him to be quite the bully in season 1, and was even referred to this season as to why he hated Howard so much (Howard never learned from Louis's drill sergeant methods and was a failure until AFTER he left the firm.) so I believe in his eyes he will always think his parents will view him as a loser until he shows them Litt Jr.

Rachel is both awesome and INCREDIBLY stupid this episode. On one hand, she successfully waived the Harvard rule and got Jessica to sign off on paying her tuition... but on the other hand she got furious at Louis for pretty much nothing. Yes, Season 1 Louis WAS a complete A-hole, but after the ballet episode Louis has shown a great respect for her and most likely would've realized his mistake and honored his promise (or at least try to, since Jessica was the final roadblock.). Getting mad at Louis was a complete waste of time, though I am glad Rachel did SOMETHING this episode to make her look competent and not just housewifey like she's been the past 3 episodes.

Once again Harvey seems to be pushed back to being the wise mentor and not the active lawyer. Yeah, he did threaten Tony Can'tspellhislastnamepolus, but other than that (and convince Jessica to pay Rachel's tuition) all he did was talk to Mike about the consequences of doing ANYTHING! We really need to get him into the fray again... it's weird seeing him taking a backseat on cases. Even he seems to be thinking that taking on managing is more boring than he thought it'd be.

Anyone know why Donna took it upon herself to visit Louis? Donna and Louis are friendly, yes, but I always assumed she merely tolerated him and not really thought of him as a FRIEND. Her tearing up at the thought of him dying really seemed out out of place and I suspect it was just put in there for the promos to make us think Harvey had the heart attack.

And now Mike has a job offer to be an investment banker and according to the promos everyone is telling him to take the job because it's a perfect out to his no-win situation... yeah, considering the series's been renewed for a 4th season with 16 episodes, I'm thinking no. "The Episode That Will Change Everything" might mean that Mike gets promoted, cause he has a way better shot of that happening than he does actually leaving!

7.8 out of 10. Great Louis-centered episode, but the rest of the characters just seem off somehow...
More+
Flag
"she got furious at Louis for pretty much nothing. "

What are things like in your world, where cheating someone out of $200,000 or so is "pretty much nothing"?

"Anyone know why Donna took it upon herself to visit Louis?"
A) because she's a genuinely nice person.
B) because part of her job is maintaining professional relationships on behalf of her boss, and she is VERY GOOD at her job.

"'The Episode That Will Change Everything' might mean that Mike gets promoted, cause he has a way better shot of that happening than he does actually leaving!"

The promotion associates are chasing is making partner. This is a huge thing, because A) it signals acceptance into the top tier of the firm, and B) it makes you a profit participant in the firm. Mike is still at least 3 years away from his "class" being considered for partnership, and for many, many reasons, he will never be a partner in a law firm. See comments elsewhere in this thread for the more realistic projection, summarized thusly: Mike takes the job, and is good at it but not as good as he is being a lawyer guided by Harvey. Plus, he STILL has to keep his secret, because it would destroy that career, too. Meanwhile, he's still keeping up with the doings at Pearson-Spector because his live-in girlfriend still works there. After half a season or so of Mike being away, and increasingly unhappy about it, they'll engineer an opportunity for him to come back.

More +
Flag
Seriously loved it. I love this show, there have been very few bad episodes.

I don't think that Louis and Sheila get back together. From things I've read online it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Mike has to stay at the firm or there's no series.

Donna definitely loves Harvey. It'll be interesting to see if this develops in the the Josh/Donna debacle that the West Wing went down until they finally got it right.

Sad that there are only two episodes left.
Flag
I was really disappointed with that episode! I really thought Harvey would be the one to have the heart attack (obvs) a that it would last the whole episode. Louis got it, fine, but why not add a little more tension to it. Will he survive? will he die?! Instead they just wrapped things up in 5 minutes and moved on to a regular Suits episode. It was a fun episode and a good one but they really built things up for nothing with last week's promo so I feel conned!
Flag
This is the kind of show that is full of protagonists that are all very unlikeable. I cannot think of a single character on this show I would want to spend a minute of my time with. They are all very ruthless, competitive, and dishonest people and I would run as fast as I could from them in real life.

That also makes for some entertaining TV. I do enjoy watching the show, because I love to hate the characters.
Flag
It's interesting how my perception of Louis has changed since season 1. At first I couldn't stand him with his smug face and constant petty remarks, then somehow he developed (or I got to know him better) into this acquired taste, who eventually became my favourite character. Seriously, Harvey and Mike are not as interesting, nor as heartwarming as watching Louis's shenanigans and that is probably my main reason for watching Suits at the moment.
SO that being said, I was very pleased and touched by this episode, especially when the usual dismissive attitude towards Louis was, for a change, replaced by a true family-kind-of-awkward affection. I loved it!

Flag
you're right! Louis found his way to our hearts and the scene where he hugs Harvey and asks him to be his best man was very emotionnal! It's weird because I've always felt their friendship was a one way street since Harvey only mentionned it when he needed something from Louis. But seeing him so shaken up by the news was really touching!
Flag
Louis' job is to supervise the associates, but the right way to see him is not as "boss" but as "teacher". A teacher who accepts substandard work is not doing the students any good; If you have a teacher who demands the very best you can do, every time, you may hate every minute of it at the time but at the end, you'll be better. If it's a schoolteacher, you'll learn more; if it's a person teaching you how to do your job, you'll be better at your job; if you're a new military recruit, you'll be more likely to go home alive and in one piece.

To be effective in this role, the teacher must have a very thorough command of the subject, must be able to recognize capability in the students, and must be able to motivate the students in all circumstances.
Flag
Rick Hoffman confirmed that all hope for Louis/Sheila is gone. *Cue Nightwish music* "This is...the end of all hope!"

Also, am I the only one that sees so much of Rachel's buildup as foreshadowing to "ummm, hint hint, she's not naturally cut out to be a lawyer because she's a good human being!"

Because as far as I see it, the law profession at Pearson Specter turns people into assholes, whether slowly, or quickly. Louis is an ass. Jessica is an ass (she's an ass on the good guys' side, but come on, she hasn't had a relationship in forever, and if you get on her bad side, hoo boy), Harvey's arrogant douchebag exterior was blending into his inner self until Mike came along, and Mike himself is starting to show glimpses of rat-bastardism when he puts clients before his conscience (which, of course, Harvey tells him to do).

Rachel, thus far, has shown that while she doesn't lack backbone or ambition, she does lack emotional fortitude, and has so many wonderful qualities as a human being (a big one being that she's so trusting, another one being that she's so sympathetic to anyone, and so on...), that are absolutely fatal to have as a lawyer. As Harvey said "if they see that you care, they'll walk all over you".

As for Harvey, I really hope that the writers don't give us a "horrible end, Mike and everyone except Rachel in jail!" I mean if push came to shove and Mike had to leave to jump to investment banking, he can wriggle terms on his resume, and after a few years in the IB biz, just drop that from the resume altogether, and move on with his life (with Rachel!), hang out with Harvey for drinks, buy Donna exotic coffees because he can, and snark with Jessica.

I really do hope that Korsh keeps that out job card in play though. I mean, imagine a spin-off, except with Harvey joining Mike, and Donna joining Harvey, with Rachel as permanent junior counsel =P. Okay, fine, full disclosure, I loved Wall Street, I loved NUMB3RS, and a show that combines the best of Suits, NUMB3RS, and Wall Street would be through the roof on this end =P
More+
Flag
"Because as far as I see it, the law profession at Pearson Specter turns people into assholes,"

Law practice takes many forms, from solo practitioners who take on whatever legal work presents itself by walking in the front door, to large firms with hundreds or even thousands of lawyers working there. That last category is known as "biglaw" and is what Pearson Spector is supposed to be, although P-S isn't actually that big. The biglaw model does tend to chew up and spit out people who aren't hard enough for the job... but the viciousness of it is not inherently present in all lawyers, nor even all biglaw lawyers.
Flag
I think my post was lost anyway:

The Genius of Donna is everyday.

I think Louis would have paid if asked I'm pretty sure Louis does that kind of think for certain associates. I'm pretty sure he covered up for Harold a few times.

I was blindsided when I learned Louis broke up with Sheila I hope they work it out.

Is it just me or is Donna's participation brief and too far in between.
Flag
Another way the writers showed their ignorance of reality resurfaced again in this episode. Legal professionals don't consider Harvard to be that much better than everyone else (in fact, it isn't even the top-ranked school in the current U.S. News rankings). OK, Sheila works there, so she can have that attitude, but in the real world, legal-types divide law schools into four tiers, with schools within any tier roughly identical. A law firm restricting its applicant pool to tier one schools is entirely believeable, although even firms with this type of policy usually will consider others (a top graduate of a T2 school will at least get an interview). Once you've been working for a few years, the measure of your worth stops being where you went to school and starts being the clients you can bring with you.

Note that Columbia, where Rachel is apparently admitted, is a top-tier school (currently ranked 4th) and Stanford, where she was also apparently admitted, is ranked 3rd, right behind Harvard at #2.
A working paralegal who then earns a Columbia JD and is admitted in NY is instantly employable at any large firm in NY. Instantly.
Flag
Thank u, It was very informative (Assuming it's true, because I can't realy search on google: "firms hiring habbits"), Out of curiosity, which is ranked #1?
Flag
You can easiy look up the U.S. News and World Report law school rankings. Just Google "us news law school rankings" and up it pops, at http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

If you just want the answer, Yale is #1. The top tier is generally the top 14 law schools.
Flag
Thx, was easier than I thoght...
Flag
It's a shame that Mike's encyclopedic powers of recall have failed him. He should know that he can never, ever, legitimately practice law. Even if he went to a law school, earned a JD degree, and passed every bar exam in the country, he would be bounced by the C&F review in any jurisdiction. (Taking LSAT exams for someone else would accomplish that, passing himself off as a lawyer for a couple of years would get him laughed out of the room before he even turned in all the paperwork.

Now, it's true that investment banking does not require a degree or a license. But if Mike's deceptive nature surfaced in that career field, he'd be just as unemployable.
Flag
Here's a question: what happens if Louis has kids, but they don't live up to his expectations? We've already seen how he treats associates that Louis feels need to be Litt up with increased discipline, he does them favors in the professional realm while destroying them emotionally. So is that where Louis goes with kids?
Flag
To be honest, we really don't know what Papa Louis would be like. He's never had any scenes with children. For all we know HARVEY is better qualified at raising kids cause he seemed pretty friendly to his other love interest's niece.
Flag
With associates, you push them to become better. The ones who don't, you get rid of. The ones you keep, you grind... give them lots and lots of work so they can quickly develop the skills they need. Medical residency is designed the same way... give new practitioners as much guided practice in as short a period as possible, meaning they don't really have time for anything else.

I suspect that Louis is fully capable of compartmentalizing "kids" and "associates", and applying different treatment to different categories.

(Historically, people who became senior partners in large NY law firms didn't spend enough time at home to really make much impact on the kids.)
Flag
No, there's no way Sheila and Louis can continue with such a big roadblock between them. It'd be unhealthy and a waste of each other's time, and I cannot see Louis or Sheila going that way, not even booty calls.

As for the episode, the review pretty much hit it squarely.
Flag
Another good episode. Hate to see Louis and Sheila break up. I feel like Louis is at fault for their split though. He knows Sheila's personality, and probably knew she wasnt the type to have kids. Sheila was wiling to make a lot of sacrifices, and Loius wasnt willing to do the same. Louis said himself that not a lot of people actually get him, so you wonder if he'll ever find someone else. Hope they work it out

The case was an obvious parallel to Mike being stuck. We all know Mike isnt going to take the job offer, but hopefully we will still be entertained by the possibility. Very good 2nd part of the season so far. Suits usually is at its best when they have 6 episodes to finish the season. The summer storylines usually drag on. Hopefully they switch it up this summer and continue what their doing right now.
Flag
Did not want to see Louis' butt. Other than that, this episode was perfect. (loved what Rachel was wearing!)
Flag
Louis has had more partial nudity scenes than any other character on the show (Dear God, the mudding scene.) Mad props to Rick Hoffman for being such a good sport about it.
Flag
I initially assumed Louis was just going to pay for Rachel's school out of his own pocket, but I don't know. I love him, but he can still be a shady trickster.

On that note, I was so happy Rachel finally did something that wasn't romantic and she basically did it on her own (with a little help from Donna of course). Romantic sidekicks are the worst and Rachel has the potential to be so much more.

Sheila just cracks me up, so I hope they find a way to bring her back. But yeah, moving is different than parenting. I don't think either of them would have been happy had they actually gotten married.
Flag
My theory was that Louis DID tell Jessica about the condition, and it was Jessica who decided to see if Rachel could/would do anything about it (If she just took it, then she doesn't have what it takes to be a biglaw lawyer.)

On the other hand, this problem has a cut-and-dried legal answer, and that answer is "statute of frauds". Contracts which are over a certain dollar amount, or take over a year to perform, must be in writing to be enforceable, AND PARALEGALS KNOW THIS. What was Rachel thinking? If she made the same mistake in representing a client, it would be malpractice.
Flag
The scene where they learn of Louis' heart attack was very powerful.

Only wish they let the Louis/Sheila engagement breath a little rather than start and end it in one episode.
Flag
The solution for Louis and Sheila is simple. Louis knocks up a random girl, random girl automatically gets custody, Louis sues for visitation. He has fulfilled his biological imperative, gets to see the kid on weekends (possibly even in a different city than Sheila) and Sheila doesn't get gooey kid stuff on her.
Flag
Louis has had zero luck with the ladies other than Sheila. The closest thing Litt had to romance was that one lady in season 1 (which hilariously horrified Mike) and that lady ended up physically assaulting him at the end. I highly doubt Louis could find another girl that could get past his quirks to sleep with him and have kids with... plus, Sheila would most likely leave him anyway cause he cheated on her.
Flag
There will always be a girl who will sleep with a well to do lawyer. He's broken up with Sheila, so he just needs to get back with Sheila after the fact. No cheating. Easy as pie.
Flag
That's the difference between Harvey and Louis; Harvey might be an asshole some (OK, most) of the time but Louis is a dick even more of the time, which Louis admits to (sort of) when he says he couldn't leave Pearson-Specter because no-one else would put up with him.
That not to say that there aren't decent people under asshole\dick exteriors, it's just that they don't get out that often.

As for Sheila Sazs, she was always headed for the out door after the mid-season finale. Having Mike's missing Harvard file hanging around as a dangling plot thread would get old real quick, but the only way to tie that thread off is to lose Sheila.
Flag
she might be trying to overcompensate for her own feelings. But I might also be delusional. What do you think?

I think they are pacing Dorvey (Harvnna?) correctly. It is way to early in the series. Many shows fell into the trap of paying off sexual tension too early and I think we will see this when Suits decides when they will have a final season.
Flag
there's really no Suits without the Mike-and-Harvey dream team, so I think Mike's answer seems obvious

Have to disagree. It is not "obvious" and I believe that the decision to leave will be the season ending cliffhanger. It is obvious we will spend some of next season "getting the band back together" - but it is the perfect set-up for the last ep of the season.

Flag
Yeah, you could get half a season out of Mike leaving, working somewhere else, but still keeping track of what's going on at Pearson Spector, and finally bringing him back. That's why they made a big deal out of the fact that Rachel will still work for Pearson Spector while she's going to law school... she's the connection between P-S and Mike if he takes the job.
Flag
That's why I was a little annoyed with Sleaseman's review. The only thing obvious was that this was being followed through to a natural conclusion. If you use the word obvious... it better be just that.
Flag
"bazillion-dollar check"

Bazillion Dollar BILL. A check for a bazillion would have been cool.

That EDIT function works well. Trust me. I would know.

Flag
Staff
Fixed
Flag
I always appreciate you guys fixing my stuff

Flag
If I wasn't the one making 500 mistakes when I post articles - I wouldn't have even said it!
Flag
Donna and Louis. YES.
Flag
That was a surprisingly solid episode. Probably the strongest of the season. It all played and flowed very well. I even liked Rachel's plot. Her pulling Harvey in was masterfully done. Harvey commenting on it saying he is pretty awesome was pretty funny. But she did drop the ball when she didn't get that in writing, however Louis would likely have ponied up the money for Law School.

Louis' plot was kind of tragic, which is fair because he is kind of a tragic character. I hate to see Zass go, I thought that was a good character, but I can relate to Louis, most people want to live on through their children, we a biologically designed to do so. But that has to be tough, I would like a couple of episodes where things go right for him.

Mike should go. He is never going to be a partner, he likely will be the highest paid regular lawyer there, but he is never going to be successful because he can't, even if he doesn't get partner however, he still at some point could be outed. An ambitious reporter or lawyer he goes up against could get inventive with researching him and find out. The financial firm would be a better fit. No one cares about you past, just what you can bring to the table. The smartest guys in the room rule, or the guys that have retained the smartest guys in the room rule. I know the show won't, and I know Mike won't because as intelligent as he is, he isn't that bright and the show would change to dramatically to be good anymore. I think that they could pull it off. But it would lose the feeling of it.
More+
Flag
Sheila is annoying as fack. She prob likes to eat kittens too.
Flag
"No one cares about you past, just what you can bring to the table."

Not true at all. Get convicted of fraud just once, and you're no longer employable in the financial services industry. What's Mike doing now. Fraud, you say? Uh-oh...
Flag
Staff
The Louis/Sheila thing is so tough because they're SO awesome together and it's such a tough position for both of them to be in. The children argument is rough, I think, because there isn't really room to compromise there.
Flag
Fantastic episode overall. I may have liked everything about it except for the way Rachel spoke with Louis in all hypotheticals and "My friend did..." then getting mad at him for not 'being on her side'. I understand her point afterwards when she was explaining it to Donna -- that she's generally just pissed that he never went to Jessica about it -- but still, that scene felt stupid to me. Other than that, Rachel was fine, and everything else was all gravy.

Also... aawwwwwwwwww, so adorable!

Flag
Staff
Awwwww I loved the hug! And Harvey's "help me."

Yeah, if the worst thing about this episode was Rachel's hypothetical (which, while annoying, wasn't THAT bad) then I think we can call it a win.
Flag
Donna air hugging Louis to cue Harvey to actually hug him back had to be the most adorable thing on the show so far.
Flag
Dr. Jackson - you have the makings of an AWESOME GIF!
Flag
Dat ass! OMG

Flag
Jessica's ass: YES! Louis' ass: NO NO NO NO NONONONONONO!
Flag
That would be a helluva "Mooning"
Flag
Lawrence Fishburn agrees
Flag
Amem
Flag
What colour pill do I take for that! [snare drum]
Flag
I believe it's a little blue pill.
Flag
Mike wont leave the firm any time soon; the offer just opened the door to countless scenarios and the possible future of Mike Ross after Pearson Specter when the series comes to an end in about 3 more seasons. Me thinks, there, and all lived happily ever after.
Flag
I disagree - but my answer to this is above (more recent). Of course - I could very well be wrong. But the shake up is right there. Who wants to see Harvey VS Ross?!?!? MEEEE!
Flag
I loved literally everything about this episode.
Sheila and Louis' storyline was so perfect...almost made me cry.
I've always appreciated when Suits addresses the Mike-isn't-actually-legally-qualified-to-be-a-lawyer problem because it is an issue that's SO big and central to the plot, it can't just be swept under the rug....problem is, most of the arcs have been kind of boring, focusing on "will Mike be discovered?" drama. Having the plot center on how it affects Mike and his career options is interesting and gives him some much-needed (at this point) character development, plus the idea of starting over in a completely new profession is something I had never thought of - an interesting twist.
Rachel kicked butt, I love her. Although I wish she had confronted Louis: I would like to know what his explanation is.
Donna was awesome as always.
And finally, Scotty was gone ;) I like her fine in theory, but in practice she's usually just boring and/or disruptive.
Flag
Yeh, I was hoping she would talk to Louis... even if it was just at the end after getting the document signed by Jessica.

Maybe Louis forgot, maybe he felt so bad bad then he was actually going to PERSONALLY pay, etc.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I hope Mike leaves, but that won't happen. Its hard to imagine living your life knowing that at any moment you can go to jail for being a fraud. Go for it Mike!
Flag
I meant to click reply originally :-)

Mike going into a new profession would be interesting, as his law knowledge and tactical thinking could easily be applied there. But in the long term, I don't see it happening. The other characters are too important to the show: Harvey, Louis, Donna, Rachel and Jessica. Him leaving would make it hard for him to interact with them as much as he's doing now.

So either it won't happen, it will happen just for a short term (1-2 episodes), or he'll go there and the writers SOMEHOW arrange it that he's working with them constantly. That last one is tricky to believably pull off, The Good Wife recently tried it and even the characters are constantly commenting on how strange / unrealistic it is that they're interacting so much with the old firm.
Flag
A perfect cliffhanger and opening to next season.

I really need to read ALL the comments before I type. I just made the same argument above.
Flag
Oops, I flagged by mistake. I undid it, please ignore.
Flag
Im sooo glad and happy that Rachel has some story that has nothing to do with mike and Rachel /Jessica/harvey scene was the best!! that made me smile :) I love when Rachel being badass and other people respect her :) I hope Louis/Rachel relationship will be remedied soon bc they are my favs !! This ep was amazing maybe best one
Flag
I really hope Rachel becomes Louis's associate. She's quite literally the only person that can calm him down, weigh his options, and make a decision based on the facts and not his emotions. Katrina couldn't stop him when Nigel used the cat letters to get him into a rage, and Harvey, Donna, and Jessica constantly play on his desire to be a part of their inner circle. But Rachel for some reason knows the inner workings of Louis and can actually talk to him as an equal. Some of my favorite episodes involve the two of them working together.
Flag
Louis supervises all the associates.
Flag
True, but Katrina is the associate that works for him personally. Rachel should take Katrina's place, since everyone knows Katrina's just using Louis to advance herself in Pearson Specter.
Flag
Rachel needs more interaction with others besides mike! especially Jessica and Rachel scenes are always intense, also they talk about work or something that is not about man ! ps Harvey/Rachel interaction was such a refreshment! more would be welcome
Flag
I thought this was one of the best Suits episodes I've seen in a while. This second half of the season is special.
Flag
Absolutely the best in awhile. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Flag
Donna's genius is everyday BITCH !!!
LOL I LOVE DONNA.
also i think the first time i liked Rachel ever is in this episode i don't know why
Flag
Well, this is the first time all latter-season than we see Rachel the assertive aspiring attorney and not Rachel the eye-candy or Rachel the house-girlfriend (which she's been most of the season.) Rachel can be a badass if the writers want her to be, but unfortunatey for us she's kept in the background. Hell, last episode she wasn't even in the OFFICE, she just showed up at the beginning and end of the episode doing "housewifey" things like decorating the apartment.
Flag
Agree put her in court against Elliot Stemple (wanna see that guy again, he was gold)
Flag
Poor Louis has to suffer heartbreak twice in one episode. :(
Flag
If Louis's real happy ending involves kids... I want him to have them!! Daddy Louis would be so fun to watch. He'd be amazing :-)
Flag
Can you imagine if they were ginger? He'd have flashbacks to his least favorite associate.
Flag
Suits Series Endgame: Somehow Harvey wrangles Mike a pardon from the POTUS...
Flag
There's two problems with that. 1) the President can only pardon people for federal crimes. That's why so many death row inmates are waiting for a call from the governor, not the President, and also 2) even with a pardon for past crimes, Mike will never be properly admitted to the bar.
Flag
Louis got Litt up by his own heart.
Flag
If you have the last name LITT - you almost are decided to be a lawyer by fate, aren't you?
Flag
Or a bartender. Or an electrician. Or an English professor.
Flag
Good point. Or an arsonist.
Flag
Shouldn't legal documents contain the lawyers' bar numbers? CPAs have number they put on tax documents. Doctors & dentists have to put their NPI and license numbers on things. Shouldn't the firm have college & law school transcripts, and a bar number on file for all of their lawyers, or does a senior partner just tell the personnel department that this lawyer is an now an employee so get them an ID badge, stationary, and a coffee mug? Seem like a secretary, paralegal, or someone in HR should be able to quickly look up a lawyer's info in case someone like a clerk from a court asks. Hospitals have employees whose entire job is making sure the doctors' credentials, licenses, and continuing education is up-to-date. My aunt does this. Shouldn't a law firm like Pearson-(Hardman/Darby/Specter) have good records and do the same due diligence that they do to argue & win cases?

How does Harvey expect Mike's situation to play out? If pretending to be a legitimate lawyer wasn't central to the show, Mike should go work as an investment banker with his time as a lawyer on his resume, move to another investment firm maybe with Pearson-Specter still on his resume, and after that move to another firm while ditching any mention of being a lawyer because by then he'd have made such a name for himself as a banker that his education (or lack thereof) and his life before becoming a banker wouldn't matter.
More+
Flag
Good question about the bar numbers. I've only had some legal documents given to me but I don't recall if they had anything like that.

Well Michael LIKES the law and hasn't made any indication that he wants power and prestige. So if you love the law so much, then working in the same position wouldn't be so bad. That wouldn't be enough for someone like Harvey, and even though Louis loves the law more than Harvey (and as much as Mike) he too would probably have a hard time with that.

But... advancement and recognition are things that everyone wants whether they admit it or not.

Mike's situation freezes him to work in this single firm; anywhere else and he may get found out and he would get arrested as would Jessica, Harvey, and yes even Rachel due to Jessica's document. And not only just in this firm, but he can't even become a partner or be recognized for his work because he might be found out..

So his situation has always stunk, even since the beginning.
Flag
The bar number thing has a completely different nature and solution than you think. Many courts are going to paperless filing. You set up an account, and then you can file things with the court by sending them PDF files. The computer system knows who filed something, and when; getting an account is non-trivial. On the other hand, a big firm like Pearson-Hardman would have had accounts set up before Mike joined.
Most likely, he's been submitting court documents in Harvey's name all along. It is true that it's most likely that a clerk of the court will be the one to notice that Mike isn't admitted to the bar, but since TV writers don't care if they're accurate or not so long as most of the public is as ignorant of how things actually work as they are, don't expect anything to change. The writers will continue to handwave away anyone noticing that Mike acts like a lawyer but plainly isn't admitted to the bar... meaning both Pearson and Spector are committing fraud every time they send out a billing for Mike's time (frauds of that magnitude (dollar value) typically receive jail time, plus the dishonesty involved will get all involved permanently disbarred.)

Mike could work as a paralegal; good ones make good money. Perhaps his endgame is to work for Rachel when she gets a law license.

More +
Flag
Thank you for the insight, Doc. It is interesting. I knew this whole premise wasn't high on the believability meter. No firm would risk that no matter how much of a genius Mike is. These characters tend to make me forget all that though.
Flag
Well to be fair, the "firm" didn't make the decision it was Harvey who got a hoot out of screwing with the system and since Mike was so "awesome." That's just "barely" believable.

Jessica only went along with it because Harvey forced her hand. She was about to fire him but set it up that if she DID, then there would be a big stink and the truth would have come out and hurt the firm and her. And now, Mike is pretty much blackmailing / extorting her because if she DOES fire him, he has proof that she knew about his status months ago.
Flag
They would have hired Mike as a paralegal, paid him more than he ever made in his life, and you could tell pretty much the same stories the show does now... you could even keep the "we only hire Harvard graduates" bit by having the firm only hire Harvard undergraduates as paralegals. (Paralegals don't actually have any educational requirement, although most have either a 2-year or 4-year degree in paralegal studies; there's also a couple of different paralegal certifications.)
Flag
And his ambition would have a LOT of casualties. Even Louis, now.
Flag
Other than Louis' actual heart, it was heartbreaking seeing him break it off with Sheila. I wanted them to be together. I hope it isn't over yet.

And if Mike goes off to become an investment banker, he is still screwed. Sure he might not need a degree, but he already has history practicing the law without a degree, and unless he changes his name, or get a clean slate from the government, there is no way he can have a super professional job without exposing himself. I honestly can't wait how the show's writers will handle Mike's predicament, hopefully by this season.
Flag
It's rare to pursue UPL (unauthorized practice of law) charges as a criminal matter, and even more rare to do it against someone who's not doing it on an ongoing basis. Usually there's just the civil remedy of gaining an order not to do that anymore. On the other hand, there would be criminal liability for Jessica and Harvey for fraud, and they'd lose their law licenses and face massive malpractice liability. They'll be bankrupted if (when) Mike is revealed as a fraud.

NY did recently move UPL from misdemeanor to felony status, but the target of UPL statutes tends to be either disbarred or suspended lawyers continuing to practice, or out-of-state attorneys who don't follow the steps to be admitted, either fully or pro hac vice. The number of cases against people who have no legal qualifications at all is typically low. This is so because UPL is of much more interest to the bar association than it is to prosecutors, and the bar association has very limited powers when it comes to people who aren't lawyers.
Flag
Here's the thing though--Mike and Harvey have an absolutely stellar record. In fact, the one time they got bit was when Jessica pulled rank on Mike over the merger bet Harvey had with Darby, in which Mike was a no-show to begin with. So every time Mike has been face-to-facing with clients, those clients *kicked ass*.

Also, would Mike be able to serve as in-house counsel to a firm that isn't a law firm? EG "hey can you study up on this stuff so we don't have to hire a lawyer" and all that jazz?
Flag
"So every time Mike has been face-to-facing with clients, those clients *kicked ass*."

1) Yeah, we made $10 million on that deal. But if we'd had a real lawyer doing the work, we might have made $20 million.
2) You billed us for the time of an associate attorney, and he's actually a paralegal. That's billing fraud.

"Also, would Mike be able to serve as in-house counsel to a firm that isn't a law firm? "
No, you have to have a license to practice law if you want to practice law, even if you only have one client. (Also, house counsel make less... usually a LOT less... than biglaw associates do, in part because they work something a lot closer to a 9-to-5 work schedule.
Flag
I suggest reading the ABA's model rules of professional responsibility, which are easily found online. Pay speciall attention to 5.5(a) and (b), and 8.3(a). Then consider how 8.3 applies to the actual lawyers who know Mike's secret. The fastest path to disbarment is to mishandle clients' money; participating in the cover-up of a fraud is probably the second-fastest.
Flag
"It's been depicted in so many instances that Mike has the ability to beat lawyers of a far higher pay grade than his."

And in the real world, there really are paralegals who have better understandings of law than do practicing lawyers. In fact, an experienced paralegal is worth far more to a firm than is a first-year associate, because associates have to be taught just about every facet of their jobs before they can do anything useful.

"at this point, any claims about his fraudulence are basically technicalities about not having his boxes checked off."
Mike has failed to follow the ethics rules. That's a pretty big box to leave unchecked. In fact, even if he had a law degree, and took and passed the bar exam... he'd probably STILL be disqualified from admission because he took the LSAT for other people, and that shows a level of deceptiveness that makes a person unfit to practice law.

We've seen Mike break rules 1.1, 1.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.5, 8.1, 8.3, and 8.4.
Flag
To numbers 1 and 2: has it been shown yet that Mike was ever caught with his pants down about the legal ins and outs of any case yet? I don't remember such an instance past that housing court nonsense in season 1 (which he wind up winning ANYWAY). It's been depicted in so many instances that Mike has the ability to beat lawyers of a far higher pay grade than his. So at this point, any claims about his fraudulence are basically technicalities about not having his boxes checked off.

Granted, those are some pretty glaring technicalities. And at some point, Jessica or Harvey will have to promote Mike so people don't get suspicious of why this kickass associate isn't getting ahead.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members