A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E13: "Moot Point"

There was quite a lot of gift-giving and friendship-declaring in "Moot Point," but the strings and asterisks attached to many of the prezzies made the love a little hard to spot. That's not to say that it wasn't there: Suits has long revolved around the notion that deep down inside, the employees of Pearson-Specter are GOOD people, and while the competition may get heated, at the end of the day, Harvey, Louis, Scottie, and everyone else plays for the same team and usually wants the same thing. 

Except sometimes they don't. Or sometimes they let petty, ego-driven stuff get in the way of "the greater good." Or they realize that dating your co-worker is hard, especially when you can't tell her that your associate never actually went to law school and you've been helping him hide it for like three years and taking a huge personal and professional risk because reasons. This is particularly unfortunate if you just had the honesty talk a mere two episodes ago. 

Oops.

So Scottie/Harvey was eye-roll-inducing, though not unexpected (and probably eye-roll-inducing because it was so expected) but the Scottie/Louis battle was pretty glorious until it got nasty. Louis's own draconian bylaws bit him in the ass when he arrived late to a partners' meeting due to circumstances beyond his control and learned that Scottie stole his merger project. Scottie did it on purpose, picking a fight with the meanest partner at the firm in order to prove her worth and dispel all that chatter about how she's only there because she's Harvey's girlfriend even though she's totally only there because she's Harvey's girlfriend. It was so spiteful and the antics were so childish and so them that I was more upset about Louis playing the Mike card against Harvey because it marked the end of the conflict, not because it was a terrible low point for a character who has slowly but surely been evolving beyond his usual villain status. 

Okay, I was sad for Louis too. It totally killed him to go to Harvey. Despite his default "IDGAF" operational status, the truth is that Louis does care very much about how he's perceived, and he's been desperate to sit at the popular kids' table since the start of the series. The problem is, as Harvey pointed out, he can't have it both ways, and there's a part of Louis that has come to embrace his outsider status. He likes being a hardass. He likes being hated and feared because in his mind, that equates respect. Harvey and Louis are two sides of the same coin and Louis has long accepted that he can't be worshiped like Harvey, the firm's golden boy, but he can fill a different role—an important role—and be valued for that. After all, it's not like Louis isn't a good lawyer. Louis is valued, he just isn't beloved. 

Despite his protestations, Louis wants very badly to be liked... just not at the cost of what respect he's managed to achieve for himself. Louis doesn't trust friendship (and with good reason) and he can't bring himself to compromise what he sees as a sure thing (his reputation) just to help Harvey, and to be fair, it's not like Harvey hasn't screwed Louis over in the past, justifying it with, "Of course we're friends, of course I see you as my equal, of course I like you." 

I don't doubt that Harvey sees/saw Louis as a friend and despite his usual dismissive-on-the-surface attitude. In fact, I'd bet that Harvey thinks of Louis as an asset and maybe even fears him a little—but actions speak louder than words and all that.

Since Harvey is the guy who has everything and just goes out and buys what he wants, Mike decided to show his appreciation for Harvey's deepening of the pit of lies and scandal by setting up an opportunity for Harvey to finally beat the lawyer who bested him all through college, a period that Donna referred to as Harvey's "shameful losses." <3 her. 

Elliott Stemple (Patrick Fischler of Mad Men, Lost, Southland, aaaand Californication) wiped the floor with Harvey all throughout college and did a pretty solid job of shaming him into a panic this time around, too. It was kind of delightful watching Stemple—a slimy, pathological liar—constantly out-think Mike and Harvey. It was also pretty great watching Harvey grovel before Jessica for help because Harvey doesn't grovel nearly enough these days and I think it's good for him to be humbled from time to time. 

In the end, the Pearson-Hardman dream team came through and exposed Stemple's case for the corporate espionage that it was, a feat so impressive that a magazine called Jessica to arrange an interview with the brilliant lawyers at her firm... except when you're a fake lawyer with a fake Harvard pedigree, any publicity is bad publicity and while I get why Mike was disappointed when Jessica asked him to take his name off the case, I'm not looking forward to the fallout. Because you know that disappointment is going to fester and gradually become resentment and it's going to be awful and I just want everyone to to get along like they did in middle school and bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles that everyone can eat and be happy. I'd also appreciate it if Suits would slip some Mean Girls quotes into Mike, Harvey (and now Louis's!) vernacular. You know Louis would watch the hell out of Mean Girls

Ugh, "Moot Point" was so good and this part of the season has been so good and I'm so nervous because the first half was so awful and even though Suits isn't even on the end-times radar, Mike's current predicament has gotten me thinking about the future of Suits. It will only get more frustrating if, throughout his career, Mike can't enjoy any recognition for the good that he does. He can't stay an associate forever, but can he be promoted without forcing someone, anyone, to take a closer look at his credentials? Won't someone eventually find it odd that Jessica keeps the firm's mini-Harvey wunderkind so far from the spotlight? It's not even like Mike can just go to law school now without compromising every case he's ever worked on at Pearson-Specter. But either way, I'm really excited that we're back to focusing on this story again. 

CASE NOTES

– "The bigger person? You should have known that wasn't me." True.

– "What happened to the skirt-chasing degenerate I knew back at Harvard?" Man, college Harvey sounds so awesome

– "I'm Moby-god-damned-Dick!" <3

– Benjamin the Tech Guy is so precious. He needs to show up more. 

What'd you think of "Moot Point"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/1/2017

Season 6 : Episode 16

80 Comments
Comments (80)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It's so sad that this show keeps using God's name in vain! Great acting, but just can't watch a show that keeps offending our Lord on purpose...
Flag
"I'm Moby "God damn" Dick and you just swimmed in my waters."
Classic Louis.
Thank God for this episode, Suits scared me with all those feelings few episodes ago...
Flag
Scotty got Litt up! Broke my heart with the everyone saying "pick a fight with the biggest guy thing" and Louise was all "You know what happens to that guy?"

More Elliot Stemple, he bounced between pitiful and machiavellian genius.

A sweet Maryann review, I remember how you indicated that you would so watch Da Vinci's Demons where Leonardo Da Vinci would get into some kwazy whacked out South American adventures, well your feverish psychadelic dreams look to have been answered if season two episode one hasn't told lies.
Flag
Suits needs to recapture the magic. The whole we gotta keep Mike's secret is getting old. They have too many that know. Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead. Suits has four. Somebody needs to try to figure out a way to get in front of it and either make Mike legit or something. I know that hacker girl forged him some credentials, but they only survive a superficial glance. Louis found the A+. Maybe Benjamin the tech guy could make them iron clad. That's how he could show up more. I know Donna could do it.

According to the rules and regulations people have stated previously, they are past the point of no return and Mike has no chance, but this is TV. We watch to be entertained for 40 minutes. Law, medical, shows that use computers (CSI, or NCIS for example) should have a disclaimer stating "do not try this at home or in court."

Jessica said that he has to stay out of the limelight, but aren't the other lawyers going to talk? Stemple just got his ass handed to him, not by Harvey, but by Mike. Mike took his name off, but the other lawyers and judges will remember the wunderkind, not to mention the stenographers and court reporters. It is all a matter of public record and gossip. Especially gossip and water cooler talk. Who you up against? Harvey? Well watch out for Mike Ross. If Jessica wants Mike to stay out of the spotlight, then she needs to put him in the basement and never let him step inside a courtroom.

How long before Scottie finds out? I am saddened that Louis went back to his old ways so soon. I like his character. The Louis/Scottie match was good. Scottie needs to prove that she is there because she is a lawyer and not Harvey's girlfriend, even though technically she is. Louis should have asked as a friend after giving Harvey that speech just last week. Harvey should have told Scottie something like "It's not my secret to tell".
More+
Flag
I'm really loving hating Litt.

His thing where he gives a nice gift, declares they're friends, so "now you have to give me what I want. Because we're friends." That's so bizarre -- and SO Louis. The man has zero social skills. I love it.

I don't get how a senior partner can get away with sabotaging their own client just to get one over on another partner. Seems that would be crossing a really big line and should be a fire-able offense. That's something it seems you could take to Pearson without looking like you're crying to mommy.

I hate that Louis might continue to hold his knowledge of Mike's "cheating" over them forever. And, he's just the kind of guy that would continue drawing from that well, over and over again -- whenever he needs to win.

I hate that Harvey gave in to Louis, though I'm not sure what choice he had. And, I'm curious to see what Scottie does. And, I really don't get the logic that Louis can't survive it. Stupid. (Not the writers -- they're telling a great story -- I’m upset with the characters.)

I really want Louis to suffer the consequences of his own stupidity. And, frankly, he just might see whining to Harvey as a just a "strategy" he used to win. He may not even think of it as going to Harvey with his tail between his legs. Anything to "win", right? So, he just plays his cards. Sort of like what Stemple tried with Mike and then again with Harvey -- play the pity card, while lying through your teeth.

But, Louis is the one who made a scene. Louis is the one who threw down the gauntlet. Louis is the one who called names and made it personal. And, I really don't want to see him look like the winner when Scottie truly bested him at his own game.

As for Stemple, it WAS fun to see him try to get out of the confrontation. And, his protestations, aside, it really did look like he was ducking Harvey.

Some great maneuvering, but it sure seemed obvious to me that Stemple was setting them up with his "admission" after the deposition. They have to know he wasn't stupid enough to really do that. But, I guess not.

I totally agree with you about the festering. This can't sit well with Mike. He knows he's brilliant. He knows he's valuable. And, to have it really hit home that none of that matters because he's going to have to work in the shadows for his entire career is just heartbreaking. He's in a no win situation. I'm sad for him. Truly sad. And, I'm very curious to see where this leads.

Sadly, the premise of the show, which makes it so very interesting, is the very thing that precludes a long run of several seasons. At some point, as you suggested in your review, credibility is stretched beyond repair. Mike can't stay as he is for 3 more seasons and he can't be promoted for the reasons you suggested. I wonder how the show runners are going to handle that.
More+
Flag
As for the heart attack, it clearly was not Harvey. While the face was obscured, the patient was clearly rotund. The body shape matched Louis, but it could be anybody -- maybe not even someone from the firm.

Flag
Then why was Donna upset?
Flag
Yep, that's a good question. They clearly included that clip to make us think it was Harvey. But, it's definitely not.

I suppose it's possible Donna was emotional for Stuart. But, hard to believe.

So, could it be someone outside the firm that is important to multiple characters? A father? Mentor?
Flag
"In the end, the Pearson-Hardman dream team came through"

HEY
It's Pearson-Specter
Flag
Scotty is too much of a mixed bag of contradictions atm. One minute she's pissed Harvey isn't committing enough but then it's too much. Then he's her lover to spill all but then she's ok with him as a boss. And then she's not ok, ad nauseum. She looks like an entitled poodle.
It's a shame they've reverted back to having Louis as an underhand jellyfish running to Harvey.
The case was lame. I think I need a coke, but which brand?
Flag
I liked that Scotty finally got some scenes apart from Harvey and seeing her in attacking mode was a nice changeup. There'll be plenty of time for me to see her as an amoral narcissist like the rest of the firm later on.

Two weeks in a row of Harvey pretending to moral superiority over Louis. You're my friend, I never do stuff to my friends, etc. Please enough with this BS. Does he ever reflect and realise how much of a hypocrite he is saying these sorts of things to manipulate Louis. He's the worst. But hey I liked this episode.
Flag
Good episode but not great, Mainly because of not having enough Donna, although I really love Scottie more than i ever liked Jessica or Rachel.
But Donna is still the best thing ever.
Flag
Aww, this felt like the beginning of Suits, you know, the actually good show it was before season 3 happened.
Flag
How can the cameras they use to film depositions be of such low quality that they can't pick up a low voice 4 feet from it? I would think you'd want multiple cameras, maybe one in each corner of the room opposite the witness, just in case the camera you use malfunctions or fails to pick up something. Harvey & Mike should start wearing microphones on their lapels.

I wonder how real high-priced lawyers, Harvard-educated or not, feel about how they're portrayed on this show. Lawyers don't have a great reputation as it is, this show just illustrates how scheming, vindictive, & bitter they can be and how they don't always work in the best interest of their clients.
Flag
Actually, higher quality microphones can pick up less. If they are using directional mics, they only pick up things in a straight line in front of them in order to reduce or eliminate ambient noise (and other people talking) in the recording.
Flag
It is still mind burgling how massive of a risk jessica and Harvey (Reginald) are taking with Mike.
Flag
Not necessarily. At least not on Jessica's part. She could be playing a long game, she gets a fantastic lawyer that can do the grunt work, that can't seek the limelight and have that as a distraction and she doesn't have to worry about him trying to unseat her later in life. If he is found out, she can plead ignorance and she doesn't take the hit. The only people aside from Mike that knows she knows is Donna, Harvey and Rachel. Rachel would be chalked up as someone defending a loved one, Harvey and subsequently Donna can be tossed out and that leaves her alone at the top to do what she wants.

Besides he passed the Bar. The Harvard thing is their personal rule and I think NY and a few states rules. In many places you don't have to go to law school to be a lawyer.
Flag
Boggling. Like the game, Boggle. No worries, we all have some word we've been doing wrong our whole lives until someone is considerate enough to point it out to us so we don't keep doing it. People are funny that way, not wanting to embarrass people in the moment, thereby causing several more times future embarrassment for people.
Flag
I like "mind burgling" way better.
Flag
Haha, phonetics, tricky stuff for second language speakers
Flag
Thanks.

Flag
It was all right. The case of the week didn't really offer much in the way of difference, other than they got their arse kicked a couple times more before Mike figured it out.

I do kind of find it strange that Harvey didn't tell Scotty. That would have been a great showing of trust that would have gotten them closer. Plus putting that wedge there so soon makes me think that we aren't going to be done with someone in the firm seeking out Mike's history. Which I think has been beaten to death and this point.

I much prefer Mike's own personal fight with it. I think he just realized that he is never going to be Harvey. Because a reporter would dig deep and likely find his secret. So Mike is always going to have to walk that line of being great vs being anonymous enough to avoid the scrutiny of the media. Which means no big named clients as personal friends, no using his reputation to put other lawyers in fear of him, so on and so forth. I like the fact that Mike's worst enemy is going to be whom it has always been, and that is Mike. Mike wants that limelight. It will be interesting to see which side of him wins out.
More+
Flag
Please let their be a flashback to collage Harvey sometime in our future.
Flag
Nah. It's one thing when you take a 40 yr old and make them play themselves at 20 on HIMYM but it would be hard to get past how unbelievable that looks in a show like this.
Flag
I was thinking they would get a different actor to play him, or at least Mike find a picture of him.
Flag
Louis chose poorly. Then Harvey chose poorly. They both needed to choose to trust that the person they had a personal relationship wouldn't hurt them. 2 scenes, 2 decisions, 2 minutes, so much boring fallout to come.
Flag
Wow, this episode finally felt like the Suits I know and love (aka the First Season and first half of the Second Season.) with Harvey taking on a seemingly unbeatable lawyer in a case-of-the-week scenario. The typical stakes were raised a little because unlike Hardman, Tanner, or even Darby, the Lawyer-of-the Week actually BEAT Harvey... THREE TIMES! (though I don't know if his confession about how he did it was a truth or lie.) Anyway, the typical speed-chess Suits used to do was back in full force with Harvey and Mike, as always, coming out on top. I was so glad that we got this episode rather than the "Let's talk about relationships" crap we've been getting the past two weeks (or the boring, never-ending Hessington Oil arc from the first half of the season)

Louis's b-plot was one of only two things I didn't like about the episode (the other being that Rachel was regulated entirely to "housewife" status). While it was great seeing Katrina again, Louis's rivalry with Scottie ended not in the way I was hoping. I was warming up to Scottie during last season when it was revealed that she was in love with Harvey and trying to beat him was the only way of getting his attention, but now that she HAS Harvey as her official boyfriend it seems like her ambition is threatening to ruin their relationship. Scottie had said that her end goal is to get her name on the door. I honestly think that her quest to achieve that goal is going to ultimately undo every good thing about her, and her picking a fight with Louis just seems like the tip of the iceberg, And what gets me a bit peeved is that Louis WAS getting the upper hand in the fight but rather than beat her on his own he ran to Harvey to expedite his victory. Louis is one of the VERY few people that technically beat Harvey ("Rules of the Game," though Harvey can credit that loss with handing the assignment to Mike.) You'd think he'd be competent enough to beat Scottie on his own, especially with the equally ambitious Katrina on his side.

With Scottie apparently now set up as the Big Bad of this latter half of the season, I'm beginning to think that she might be the next person to learn Mike's secret. Louis sort of knows, and I'm betting the writers will leave it at that until probably the show's last season (whenever that is) but it's obvious that the fandom wants Harvey/Donna, so we of course have to make Scottie as unlikable as possible, and learning Mike's secret and using it as leverage to pretty much wrest complete control of the firm would be a logical step to where the character appears to be going, though, honestly, I think Katrina should be the one to learn Mike's secret. She and Mike worked well together and she made Rachel jealous. Scottie and Katrina both want it all and are open and honest about it, but Katrina works with Mike on his level doing grunt work whereas Scottie is in the Senior Partner's ivory tower and could probably care less about Mike unless the plot says so. And the plot has been making the characters do a lot of questionable things lately.

Overall I give this episode an 8.5 out of 10. Now I'm interested in seeing who has the heart attack next episode, Harvey or Louis. The promos are making it out to be Harvey (mainly with Donna crying at the patient's bedside) but I've been psyched out by promos before (like with Rachel exposing Mike's secret to the senior partners or Louis being in jail, the former being just a dream Mike had and the latter being due to a prank Katrina pulled and not something Louis did.)
More+
Flag
The fact they are making it out to be Harvey pretty much guarantees that it is Louis, because promo writers are dicks.
Flag
While I get why Harvey is protecting Mike it is annoying that is ruining his relationships and motivating all his actions
Flag
At this point Harvey is protecting himself. If Mike gets outed as a fake then Harvey & Jessica are both looking at disbarment and possible jail time.
Flag
Liked that they keep showing even though Harvey and Mike are good they're not invincible and can still be tricked sometimes. That's always refreshing but I was satisfied when they stuck it to lawschool guy.

I'm not sure if it's intentional but I'm starting to really dislike her. I actually liked her earlier but she's becoming very needy and unnecessary the whole fight with Louis was so ridiculous.

Rachel and Mike continue to be of little interest and Donna continues to be the best thing ever in designer dresses. Good episode.
Flag
really liked this episode. For the most part, relationships took a backseat this week, and the lawyers got to be lawyers. I like when Suits does one-episode cases, which they haven't done a lot of recently. Sad to see Mike will basically never get credit for any work he does, but he knew the deal when he decided to illegally practice law. And love Katrina and Loius as a team. And both of them using "Litt Up" again.
Flag
I was a bit bummed they had Louis "cash in" his favor, it would have been a nice change for Harvey to resolve the situation when he saw how emotional his "friend" was and finally let Louis actually see them as friends.
The ending with Scottie could still have been basically the same.
Flag
Totally agree
Flag
Follow this Show
Members