A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E10: "Stay"

I couldn't help but snicker at poor Scottie trying to make her point about loyalty and asking Harvey if he would just throw someone under the proverbial bus after working side-by-side with them for ten years. Woman, where have you been all season?

Oh, right... England. 

Anyway, the answer to Scottie's question is "yes." Yes. Under the right conditions, Harvey would totally turn his back on a mentor/BFF/partner figure. He almost did so with Jessica. In a way, he did do so with Cameron back in the day, and if you ask Donna, she'd probably refuse to talk about that one time last season when she got fired and was humiliated in front of their peers while Harvey sat there like a doofus. None of those situations were exactly like Scottie's, and all of them were mostly justifiable in their own ways, but still—after a season of increasingly complex storytelling and character motives, Suits' frantic attempts to simplify everything in this mid-season finale seemed a little desperate at times. 

I had a hard time buying Scottie's unwavering loyalty to Darby since she's basically Female Harvey and we're all pretty well-versed in how Harvey's loyalty works at this point—not to mention, Harvey just plain had a logical argument in favor of Scottie jumping ship that made so much sense, even I was getting frustrated with Scottie—and I don't have this off-putting super-hatred of Darby that everyone else at Pearson-whatever-the-hell-they're-calling-themselves-this-week seems to have. The dude was slimy. It's hard to find a lawyer on this show who isn't slimy. I'm disappointed in the way that Darby taking the fall to get Ava's name cleared has been reduced from a challenging decision built on, well, love and loyalty, frankly, to "NOPE. HE'S A MURDERER. TTYL, NO LOVE, PEARSON-SPECTER." I guess it's just simpler that way, and it's been a long half-season, and we're tired. 

In the end, Harvey apologized to Scottie for assuming she screwed him over last week and they drank wine in his swank bachelor pad and most assuredly screwed at some point while off-camera. Harvey also apologized to Ava for—IDK, not doing things her way?—and she hastily dropped her lawsuit against the firm, proving yet again that everyone on this show is an actual child. (And the point of bringing Tanner back was... ?)

Speaking of the children, while Harvey and Scottie were actually making progress, Mike and Rachel regressed momentarily when her newly energized consideration of Stanford over Columbia led Mike to issue the classic Insecure A-Hole Boyfriend Ultimatum. If she chose Stanford over Columbia, he'd dump her because everyone knows long-distance relationships never work out. Sure, they're harder. Trust me, they're harder. But they're certainly not impossible. Mr. Fiance and I were hundreds of miles apart for most of the first few years of our relationship. You just can't act like a freaking CHILD, MIKE, OMG. Me or Stanford! STFU, Mike Ross. 

Oh well, the crisis was ultimately averted. Even though Rachel admitted that Stanford was the better option for her, she chose Columbia because she wanted to be with Mike. I'm only slightly disappointed—and honestly, I'd probably be more understanding if Mike hadn't handed her that gross ultimatum—but I sincerely think that Rachel has more going on than what she led Mike to believe at the end of "Stay." Her confrontation with Jessica was glorious, and frankly, it was one of the best Rachel moments—if not the best Rachel moment—of the series so far. So proud of her, yay! <3

Over in Litt Land, the Lady Litt, Sheila, hooked up with Louis and got all grumpy when he didn't pick up on her signals that she wanted to be exclusive—until he eventually figured it out and conveniently ended up meeting her in the Harvard Law School master files of every single student ever, where he conveniently looked for Mike's and conveniently didn't find it because obviously we need to return to that storyline. My theory now is that Rachel has paved the way for special-snowflake non-Harvard grads to work at Pearson-Whatever, and when the truth about Mike's missing Harvard pedigree comes out, the official explanation will end up being that Mike actually graduated from a different law school, and while no, he didn't attend Harvard, he still totally attended law school, like for realz, Louis, we swear. 

It's just a theory, and a flimsy insta-theory at that. But what are yours? What do you want to see when Suits returns this winter? And what did you think of "Stay?"

NOTES

– "We should tape it to the wall." Louis and Sheila are such weirdos. <3 them. 

– Will Harvey/Scottie last? Do you want it to? 

– I actually appreciated Harvey's bluntness when Mike was all, "TEACH ME HOW TO BE EMOTIONLESS AND DEAD INSIDE LIKE YOU!" I think we're all sick of iceman Harvey. I think even Harvey is sick of iceman Harvey. 

– Do you think this is the last we've seen of Ava?

– No, really, what was even the point of Tanner this week? Like, we get it, he's the anti-Harvey and he has this unhealthy obsession with beating Harvey... but he barely even registered as a threat here. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/2/2016

Season 5 : Episode 16

120 Comments
Comments (120)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've finally caught up. Doing the 1-story serialised Got drop-ins arc was interesting, Louis has been great this year, but Suits has a real problem with its structure and pacing. Mostly I think it's the broken season with the mid-season finale. They build momentum well only to deflate for the mid-season finale and then the back half just treads water. Last year the Hardman stuff was over far too quickly and this season the show seemed determined to 'reset' as MS said. Imagine how much better the show would be if they had uninterrupted 13 episode seasons. Obvs that won't happen but we can dream.
Flag
Been reading so many of MaryAnn's reviews but only now got that <3 is a love heart on it's side. I knew it represented a positive feeling but I kept looking at that shape the wrong way and scratching my head. Anyway, Tanner has my sympathies, 2nd best lawyer around (everyone he's up against is 1st haha) Dig the actor's good work though, only just catching up on Chaos now.
Flag
I am really tired of "more people knows Mike's secret". In fact, I don't really care for Mike or Mike+Rachel. They could bo go to Stanford and disappear of the show and I will be happier than I am now,
I am not sure I want to see Scottie in a regular basis.
Flag
I love this show but the mid-season finale was just too easy and the worst episode of Suits and that's coming from someone who LOVES Suits
Flag
Ya I wasn't feeling it either...not enough Donna.
Flag
Am I the only one who sees the sheer greatness in all and everything that is Suits, even this season (which has been great)? What's with all the negative remarks and whining here, did y'all come over from the Dexter community to complain about nothing?
Anyway, I think most of this season just went over your head, let's put it that way. This was a truly great first half of the third season and I loved everything about it. Can't wait for what's next to come!!!
Flag
"Mike has been a complete and utter asshole all season long. From the second he screwed over Louis, to the gross level in which he was kissing Harvey's ass to get back into his good graces, to his total disregard for the hierarchical system, and his disrespect towards Jessica regardless of how she treats him (she's your boss. She's your boss' boss, and he's gotten too comfortable with operating under the assumption that he can do whatever he pleases and it'll be okay because Harvey will cover his ass. That isn't fair to Jessica or the other associates, some higher up in the hierarchy then he is, who have to watch themselves)."

HOLY CRAP!THIS times 1000!!!I can’t stand the way Mike has been getting away with talking to Jessica lately.It’s one thing when Harvey calls her out sometimes, b/c they have such a strong relationship and mutual respect (mostly) and known one another for years.But newsflash:MIKE’S NOT HARVEY.Not even close.He’s a f***ing associate for crying out loud!He's only been a lawyer for like 2 mins!!And being Harvey’s pet gives him zero right to talk to his boss’ boss, the head of the g*ddamn firm the way he does.

Oh yeah, and Mike + Rachel storyline – been over it since that cringeworthy sex scene in the copy room. Please just put it (and us) out of its misery.They're so brutal to watch.
More+
Flag
Oh, your reviews, they speak to me.

What do we have left now? Six episodes of season three in January right? Yeah, well, depending on how Suits goes down on the back end of the season, I've resigned myself to pretending as though season 3 never even happened, and hoping and praying that season 4 is better. So much better. I have not been a fan of the season so far. It's cringeworthy and irritating. At any given point, all the characters have been unlikable. I never thought there would be a time where Donna would get on my nerves, but she did. Plenty of times this season. Mike has been an insufferable, arrogant little brat. Don't even get me started on Harvey...
-You're so right re: Darby. He was slimy, yes, but no slimier than any of the rest of them. I was still trying to figure out why he had to be taken out in the manner that he was taken out. It wasn't exactly justified. I mean, he already took the fall for Ava, so what of it?
-Yes, why did Harvey have to apologize to Ava? How come his apology to her seemed more sincere than the dozens of apologies he needed to hand out or half-assed along the way this season?
-What was the purpose of Tanner being there? Oh right, Tanner was there to be the catalyst for Harvey and Scottie making amends and hooking up. See, this is why I don't need nor do I want the focus on romance in Suits. It's a great show without it. The second they start bringing in the romantic crap it unnecessarily complicates things and detracts from some of the best things about this show.
- Mike has been a complete and utter asshole all season long. From the second he screwed over Louis, to the gross level in which he was kissing Harvey's ass to get back into his good graces, to his total disregard for the hierarchical system, and his disrespect towards Jessica regardless of how she treats him (she's your boss. She's your boss' boss, and he's gotten too comfortable with operating under the assumption that he can do whatever he pleases and it'll be okay because Harvey will cover his ass. That isn't fair to Jessica or the other associates, some higher up in the hierarchy then he is, who have to watch themselves).
I don't even like Rachel, and I was rooting for her to kick his insecure ass to the curb the moment he had the audacity to give her such an ultimatum. The moment he so much as uttered something that ridiculous, I'd have dumped him right then and there. Decision made easy. Just out of spite. Because if he really gave a damn about her and her education, goals and dreams he'd have never dared to have asked her to make that choice. Especially given the circumstances when he knows that she already resents him for unfairly getting an opportunity handed to him that she's been having to work towards. This would't' be such a major deal, if the formula of the Mike/Rachel ship wasn't pretty much a matter of Rachel only serving a purpose as a love interest for Mike. I mean, Mike has been a colossal dick all season. I know they tried to temper his jackassery with bonding moments between he and Harvey on how to be or not be an emotionless robot, but there was no salvaging that. He was a jackass all season, and it was highlighted again in the summer finale.
-I'm not a Rachel and Mike shipper. I never have been. They don't have a strong enough relationship to withstand a gentle breeze let alone a storm. Even the show's efforts of showing them as a solid couple, pretty much revolves around them having sex and Mike spilling all of his deep dark secrets. I don't feel like they have a balanced relationship. I don't think they have a solid or strong one. I'm personally tired of seeing it and them. I hate that Rachel's entire existence as a character pretty much revolves around Mike wanting to screw her. Her highlights are usually when she's interacting with Louis. So she finally got something with this Stanford/Columbia stuff, and they still found a way to make it about her relationship with Mike. No matter what point you try to argue, she's going to the school she's going to, so that she can be near Mike, even if it isn't the right choice for her. So they attempt to make up for that moment of submission by making her storm into Jessica's office and strong-arm her into breaking the coveted Harvard rule for her (because what the hell? No one is abiding by the rules anyway), so we can view a moment of strength that came out of a decision of weakness. It didn't work for me. Sorry.
-Once again an attempt to make Jessica look like an evil witch for wanting to cover her bases. Honestly, the way things have been going down since the pilot up until now, I'd have made Rachel (who let's be honest is an emotional basketcase at times and very fickle) sign a confidentiality agreement too. Mike, Harvey...the boys do stupid shizz and then she catches flak for doing whatever she thinks she needs to to clean up their messes.
-Donna and Jessica should share the screen more often.
-I honestly could care less about Scottie. I used to like Scottie, so I'm not sure if my disinterest in her stems from my general disinterest in the season as a whole, or because she somehow did something to make me indifferent to her now. I don't even know anymore. Although, watching her try to manipulate, guilt, and pressure an emotionally stunted individual into telling her that he loves her was not a fine moment in my book.
-So....we're back to this whole nonsense of Mike being found out by Louis. Which puts Louis, the great multi-dimensional character, who far exceeded the others in growth in character development this season...puts him right back into the "frenemy' pathetic villain typecast that he was in for season one. Why? He was the only one that showed growth. They somehow managed to screw up all the other characters royally, Harvey, Jessica, Mike, and yes, even the beloved Donna. All season long they tinkered and tampered with these characters to the point where in some cases they were unrecognizable and far from relatable, tolerable, or even likable, (oddly Rachel has had glimmers of greatness but overall she's remained consistently lackluster and/or annoying). Louis was the only one that showed growth and progress and reasonable development without it coming across choppy or forced. Even when he was given such ridiculous moments as cat mock trials and naked mudbaths. And after they did a spectacular job of ripping all we know and expect from the characters and their relationships to pieces, they haphazardly and frantically pushed the reset button towards the end, instead of taking the same amount of time to reasonably reconstruct and piece together everything about Suits as we know it. So Louis easily stumbling across proof that Mike did not attend Harvard, putting him back on the outside of the cool kids arena...was jarring and unsatisfying, and just flat out irritating to watch.

Ugh. I didn't mean to rant. Suits is one of my favorite shows, and I just have been really disappointed with this season. I wanted to like it so much. I was trying to enjoy it, but I didn't. I didn't at all.
More+
Flag
This gonna be a very fickle and shallow comment after your great examination of Suits and how it's gone off kilter, but I find Mike's jackassery is mathematically related to how bad his haircut is each season. Just kidding, I remember Mike used to be the centre or the heart of the show. Our entry to this world and it's moral ambiguity was tempered by Mike's "goodness" and his naivety and now it just seems a battle of the selfish. Wish the grandma was still in the show.
Flag
ROFLMAO!! You may be right about that wretched haircut!

Exactly! In a way, Mike was the audience's "in" with Pearson (insert whatever). He was the naive one, the moral compass of the show, the goody two shoes, the one with the heart. It was his thing. It was what made the partnership with Harvey so great. So on and so forth. Now, now Mike is a selfish, arrogant jackass with questionable morals and a total disregard for the heirarchy or respect for the process. The problem is, he hasn't earned the right to be so horrible, and on top of that, there is no one around to balance it all out. I miss Grammy too. I mean, if she is what it took for him to not be...this, then we underestimated just how darn pivotal she was to the series.
Flag
What a boring season. One case that just went on and on. What is with all the romance in finale? What happened to the Harvey and Mike characters from season 1? Will give show another shot when it returns but it no longer holds my interest. Use to watch it as scheduled. Now I watch on demand so I can fast forward. Bring in new writers, get rid of rachel, and no more having Harvard over mikes head as a storyline. It's only season 3 and Harvard has been used way too much. Mike lost his innocence too soon. Now he is obnoxious. Harvey used to be pretty cool. Now he is just too soft. It was a show that started with great promise, but fizzed out midway thru season 2. Any recommends for a new show to follow?
Flag
Revenge, under the dome, New girl, Hart of Dixie are all great shows in my opinion. I wouldn't give up on suits yet though. I wonder why they get the show right at the beginning and then the formula just gets lost further into the season. I think the case by case episodes are much better but that is what twitter is for. Telling the producers what is going wrong with the show in hope they pay attention
Flag
Damn, just wrote a comment to realize you had already put it down better. "Mike lost his innocence too soon. Now he is obnoxious. Harvey used to be pretty cool. Now he is just too soft. It was a show that started with great promise, but fizzed out midway thru season 2" Exactly what I wanted to say.
Flag
Reading your review is like having a voluntary lobotomy
Flag
It's impossible for me to root for Harvey in yet another Harvey v Louis showdown, as Louis has proven himself to be layered, sensitive, brilliant and vulnerable, while Harvey is becoming increasingly douche-y and one-dimensional. I was hoping they were done with this Louis as the "villain" crap, but it seems like the writers love to beat a dead horse........
Flag
Also, did anyone actually care about or like Ava during this season? Like, at all? Or was she to you guys, as she was to me, and seems to have been to the writers, strictly a plot device much like Mike's lack of a law degree?
Flag
Actually, I did, if only because Suits is one of my favorite shows and I find it hard to not care about the characters. But Aaron Korsh be warned - I'm planning to be more discriminating come January...
Flag
I think some one pointed this out already pointed this out but Mike did not give Rachael and ultimatum. He told her what everyone knows to be true-if she moves across the country to go to law school they are PROBABLY over. Sure, in the episode promo last week they edited it to be an ultimatum but it was not how it played out in the episode. He is a realist. He knows that her leaving would be very difficult to deal with.
Moving on...Harvey and Scottie...I don't know if I really like it, but it would be nice to see a different aspect of Harvey.
Louis is pretty awesome and I enjoy his storylines-of course as soon as whats-her-name said that the file of every Harvard graduate EVER was in that room I knew we'd be left with Louis not finding Mike's. My prediction is similar to the one stated in the review-because Rachael asked for the Harvard rule to be broken for her Louis will "find out" that Mike did not graduate from Harvard but that Harvey felt he was so damned good that it didn't matter where he graduated from. So Harvey and Jessica will 'admit' to covering up for Mike and somehow they will submit proof that he graduated from another Law school. Crisis averted-but I am sure they will squeeze and episode or three of drama out of it before letting the threat die.
As for Rachael and Jessica-that was pretty cool. SHe admitted that she would never betray Mike's secret but that since it was obvious she was going to have t sign that paper to convince Jessica she wanted to get something out of it for herself. Doesn't everyone on this show do that? Pretty much. In the review you stated that she stayed for more than Mike-yeah, she got the greatest deal ever. She was never going to tell the truth about Mike anyways so basically she got the guarantee that she'd work at her firm of choice in exchange for something she planned on anyways. She wins, Mike wins and Jessica wins. The only person who loses is probably her Daddy who might come back to bite Mike in the ass in the future.
More+
Flag
Louis is my favourite character and I thought we were done with him being forced to be the villain. The trailer for next season did not make me happy.
About time Rachel did something for herself and showed some b*lls standing up to Jessica. I like that she didn't tell Mike her side deal either.
Oh Scotty, Harvey is tired of hurting you so it was easier to say stay to your face than to say, I'm not interested in you romantically, lets be bffs.
How could anyone take Tanner seriously with that hair, he out did Mike. He was definitely channeling Patrick Bateman.
Flag
If Scottie is the female Harvey, and Harvey has been known to sleep with her on occasion, does that mean that Harvey has gone and fucked himself?

Harvey apologized to Ava for not believing she was innocent of murder, DESPITE the fact that her innocence could not have been a viable defense at the time. And how can Ava sue Harvey for malpractice - and forgive him - when it was Hessington Oil who hired them to defend her?

Mike needed reason to grow, and I'll give him a little props early on for calling Rachel on her inability to realistically factor in Mike's relationship with her choice, she's trying to have it both ways without actually facing what it would do to them, and he called her on it - childishly, sure, but that's Mike's job on the show. Still, Mike called her out for not being more direct in stating what she wanted, but then they backtracked and decided to let Mike once again chase the impossible because that's what he does best.

Rachel vs Jessica was easily my favorite Rachel moment of all time on this show as well, good callout MaryAnn.

It's a good thing so few people have gone to Harvard lest that silly plotline have been clumsy... oh. But at least Louis got the "douche" callout on Harvey's college photo, that WAS a douchey headshot.

- I have no theory anymore, they keep cheating with Mike's lack of schooling, so they'll cheat again because they don't have the balls to make Louis the bad guy all next half-season. At best, I picture him leveraging the firm into having his name on the door.
- Scottie still isn't a real character, she's a caricature of Harvey's needs given female form, so until they make her a real character it's going to be distracting to have her around, hence "no it won't last".
- Man do I hope we've seen the last of Ava, I still don't know if she has a job anymore, for god's sake.
- Tanner is a dick and we needed a villain for the week.
More+
Flag
I'm tired of the threat of exposing Mike already. Mike go to school and get legit already? Ever heard of sabbaticals?
Flag
I groaned in real life when Louis found the file. I'm so sick of Mike's Harvard status being used as the "big threat" each and every episode/season.
Flag
Ways of proving that set was bullshit without leaving your seat:
1) Harvard Law was founded in 1817. Each class has 550 students. Each cabinet has 4 drawers. Each drawer contains less than 100 files. There's maybe 20 cabinets in that room. That's 8000 files, or 14.5 years. There's 181.5 years of records missing.
2) Look up the Harvard graduating class lists and compare the letter range labels on the drawer to the frequency distribution of the last names.
3) Take all the names he read in order and then find a single graduate who would fall between them.
4) Know anything at all about records storage.
Flag
How did you figure out that each file drawer had less than 100 files. I have a file box (I could probably get 2 or 3 in each drawer) that holds 400, but I guess it depends on the thickness of the file.
Flag
I was just counting based on how many files he went through and what percentage of a drawer it looked like he went through. I'm not sure what they mean by file anyways. Student Data Sheet + Application + Transcripts? By the time I got to college there already wasn't such a thing as student files on paper.
Flag
Now, would anyone try to recruit a dead lawyer. Would anyone be alive or still working from the class of 1817? I would think the drawer would only contain candidates that are still alive and active.
Flag
That isn't what she said, but I'm still pretty sure lawyer's don't generally expire after 15 years.
Flag
You are right she did say the file contained all of the Harvard graduates. She did not say only the living ones.
Flag
Television is known for it's completely accurate settings. Yep. Star Trek was actually filmed in space, if you didn't know.
Flag
It also would bug me if they got the size of space wrong.
Flag
Records Management burn! I seriously love the discovery of goofs and/or chronological errors in shows/movies, I can suspend my disbelief in "some" cases but I think examination and criticism can only lead to better quality and representation of things in movies yet to be made. Good job.
Flag
Does Louis finding out about Mike actually pose some sort of threat? Jessica/Harvey already know... and Louis isn't an antagonist anymore. I doubt he could use this information to get his name on the door and then there's his friendship with Rachel. Wait, did I just spoil every plot point for the rest of the season?
Flag
I like Louis. I want Louis to have nice things. I cheered a little inside when he made Senior Partner. I laughed when Katrina trademarked his catchphrase for him. I've accepted that the wall will never say Pearson-Specter-Litt. But why would he jeopardize the best thing he has going (his relationship with Sheila)? To continue a feud with Harvey that even Harvey has grown out of?

Oh, and the line of the night:
"Sheila Zass."
"What about it? I mean, her?"
Flag
I still love this show. I read some of the comments and yes not much happened and I hate some of the stories in the show (Mike not going to Harvard, anything to do with Mike and Rachel) but it still entertains me and I still look forward to it every week.
By the way, I love Ice Man Harvey. Keep that heart black my man. It only amplifies his greatness when he lets one special person in (other than Donna halfway), and then at the end of this season she screws him over and he goes into extreme dick mode.
All around, not a great mid-season finale, but still entertaining television.
Flag
YES! I love iceman Harvey too and I love the fact that he is not nice to Louis. Why change that?!?!?! We will appreciate and understand louis much more. They don't need to have everyone all lovey dovey.
Flag
I DONT WANT THEM TO LAST! HARVEY & DONNA FOREVER!
Besides that...I'm really freaking out about louis not finding Mike's file in the room. As soon as i heard sheila say, "file of every harvard law student" i knew what shit would hit the fan this time. Hopefully,maybe he'll think they misplaced it or something... Screw it. Even i didn't believe that pitiful attempt at optimism.
Flag
So at this point, Jessica's going into the villain bin for me. For all her Machiavellian nastiness, she's accomplished nothing that hasn't been undone. Backstabbed Harvey to unilaterally get a merger, turns their first case from a nearly-won yet-another-day-at-the-office for Harvey to a season-long fiasco that wound up with her firm nearly getting taken to the cleaners by said client, while backstabbing her way out of the merger she unilaterally moved to obtain in the first place. And then blindsided Donna to make Mike and Rachel's lives miserable because she just happened to be snooping around.

Why should anyone like this woman? Because she's a race-flipped "Donna"--that is, a character played by a gorgeous actress in sharp attire constantly spouting one-liners and sass? Because in the context of the show, she farms out all the work to Harvey, takes all the credit, and creates drama and misery everywhere she goes.

Flag
More like Harvey in a skirt. At least, that's one of the many reasons I actually like her. I also like that she tends to be more pragmatic compared to the others, and she catches a lot of hell for being business-minded. She can be ruthless and ballsy. Her firm is her everything and she makes that clear. She does whatever she feels she needs to do for her firm and for her people, even though they may not always be privvy to the protective nature she has for both, she's a mama bear when it comes to both. I think there is some inconsistency in how they write her character which is frustrating for those of us who are actually fans of her character. I love Jessica though. She's a woman who fought her way through the boys club. She's cunning, witty, and smart. She possesses a lot of the similar traits of her male counterparts but with a feminine edge, and I think she's somehow held more accountable for her actions and her behavior because of that, when she's honestly no different than most of the other characters on here. She's a lot like Harvey. Hence, the "Harvey in a skirt" comment. She's more calculating to his impulsive, but both are characters who swear to have their emotions in check, and yet react to certain things out of pure emotion. I also like the fact that they, that she looks at the bigger picture. It isn't always pretty, and it doesn't always wield the best for those around her, but she looks at the big picture in matters. Which is why she made the decisions she made about the mergers, something I wouldn't have faulted her for at all, on paper it was a solid business decision. It was practical whereas what Harvey was asking...wasn't. It is also why she did what she did as it pertained to the Mike and Rachel bit. She's covering their bases and protecting the firm from the liabilities that her second in command and his second in command keep bringing in. For better and for worst, she always has the firm's interest in mind at heart. The firm is allways first, even if that is ahead of her relationship with Harvey, which I think she truly values.
More +
Flag
Truthfully, this was kind of a mediocre mid season finale. Harvey won like we knew he would. Rachel and Mike are still together, Louis is still scheming, Jessica is still pretty much a not nice person. And Tanner popped in to say hello. Which seriously, they need to stop going back to that guy. The character has been played out. I was hoping to see something from Katrina and something more spectacular from Donna.
Flag
A bit of a let down really, i mean the big cliffhanger is that Louis knows - Jessica is implicated so it will really go nowhere. Louis tends to screw up power plays, but considering the faith Harvey showed him last week, and the fact that Mike is Louis' best associate, i cant see it having too much impact.
Bringing Tanner in was just to get Scottie involved in the 2nd half of the season - which was a waste if you consider the fact that he now disappears because Harvey sorted the lawsuit by chatting to Ava.
Mostly it seemed liked a filler episode and not a mid season finale.
Flag
It was a fine mid-season finale, I guess. Nothing spectacular. I'm a little indifferent at this point about Louis finding out Mike's secret. Tanner was kind of pointless to me. Scottie sticking around for a while could be good... but it could very like also create some crappy relationship drama.
Flag
With Rachel going to law school they will probably fill the relationship gap with Harvey and Scottie.
Louis grew a lot this season in my eyes, so i can see him telling Mike that he knows, but not making a power play out of it
Flag
He grew... but he still wants to move up in the company and feel like it is deserved so I think he will use this in a power play.
Flag
All you Harvey & Donna 'shippers are so cute, but really kinda deluded. Harvey does not deserve Donna. Period. I was totally Team Harvey all the way prior to this season, but now I see that Donna is way, way outta his experience level. Donna deserves someone who will worship her, Harvey's already worshiping at the alter of himself. I'm not hating on Harvey, I just see him way down here with the rest of us ninnys and Donna at a point far above in the realm of Awesomeness. We all rightly aspire to ascend to Awesomeness, but like enlightenment, it is an elusive and lofty goal.

I don't really think Mike saying their relationship wouldn't work long-distance was a D-bag moment. The way he chose to communicate the issue was unfortunate but I think he had a right to voice his concerns on the feasibility of a long-distance relationship and to state it wasn't what he wanted. I'm inclined to agree with him. There is a vast difference between a couple hundred miles and a Continent +3 time zones apart, working in two different cities and one person carrying on with the previously shared life whilst the other starts something new and totally absorbing like law school. It never would have worked. Within the first few months they would have missed phone calls with each other, had to cancel trips due to unexpected priorities, etc. There's no way that they would have been able to balance the demands of the other things in their lives with finding time to stay connected in a meaningful way.

I'm really sick of this mid-season BS. Just run an entire season as they do with Burn Notice rather than breaking it up.
More+
Flag
I'm a bit annoyed about the mid season break, but then i realized its coming back earlier than last season (Oct instead of January).
Flag
Really... I'd seen January from a number of comments, but I'd heard Covert Affairs was returning in October, so that at least is something.
Flag
According to IMDB episode 3:12 will be on 8th October.
The promo at the end of the episode for 3:11 was for "This Winter" so i assume its back in October
Flag
the summer season finale was episode 10 imdb is wrong cause where's episode 11 go to tvrage.com look up suits
Flag
Am I the only one who thinks that Mike should have used Jessica ultimatum as an excuse to just quit and move to California with Rachel?

I mean why not? (beside it ending the series), Mike practically said to Harvey in his speech that he hates his job, Rachel will obviously prefer to go to Stanford, It will remove the ever present threat of Mike being exposed. It seems odd to me that no one even suggested it, I would really have wanted an answer why not besides "well, obviously we can't do that".
Flag
In order for long distance relationships to work the regular relationship has to be built on a good foundation. Mike and Rachel don't have one. The only thing they've proven to me is why they should not even be together. They lack respect for each other, you can't think of decisions in a vacuum when you are in a relationship. I wanted them together in the beginning, but now I can't wait for them to be over!
Flag
The Harvey-Scottie getting together seemed forced. They can't have him with Donna yet, that would be just baaad. But I'd rather have him single now and somehow have them together as endgame. Are sparks about to fly between Donna and Scottie?
The only one who seriously needs a love interest to lighten up is Jessica. Maybe Jessica could go on a holiday after all the mess is sorted out, leaving Harvey in charge. I'd love to see how he would function without his mentor.
Less Rachel would be a relief, if only to give Mike some other romantic possibilities. And please, please bring back case of the week!
Flag
I'd love to see Harvey attempt to run the firm. I love him to pieces, but he isn't cut out for running it. There is a reason, whether you like her or not, why Jessica is in charge. That would be awesome. I also wouldn't oppose seeing Jessica getting a love interest or just a personal life outside of the firm, period. I feel like we only get to see one side of her.

Agree with the less Rachel bit too.
Flag
Donna is the definition of awesome. And Harvey is the definition of a boss. Darvey <3
Flag

I think the mid-season finale was fine. Lots of love and a little threat from Louis towards Mike. Obviously the big problem is not that Mike didn't go to Harvard, but that he didn't go to law school at all (which I suppose is what that affidavit was about). And his situation is hopeless and he will be caught one day, right?

Flag
My thoughts: It was a better mid season finale than last year, but still a woefully disappointing episode overall... though I got to see Harvey do 3 times in one episode what he only did twice n the entire series- APOLOGIZE! Bring in the band and the dancing girls! Harvey actually got some character development and let someone in!

Seriously, though, Harvey's apologies really threw me for a loop. Normally, when he's proven wrong, he'll kind of apologize, but never actually say he's sorry. This is highlighted during the first two episodes, when he was a dick to Mike for "backstabbing" him, and when Harvey was basically told to stop acting like a douche by Donna, Harvey just said "come back home." No apologies whatsoever! But here, after basically screwing over Scottie for something she didn't do, Harvey's first words were "I'm Sorry." My little Harvey is growing up!

What kind of irks me, though, is how Harvey basically used his Lawyer Jesus powers to turn the tide on Travis Tanner by merely apologizing to Ava. Tanner's a great nemesis, and he was used brilliantly during his appearances in season 1 and 2. But here, it just seemed like the show had an obligation to put him in somewhere, and the end where Ava just drops everything merely because Harvey looked her in the eye and apologize made not only Travis's appearance absolutely pointless, but it made Ava look even bitchier than the she already was portrayed to be. I'd understand if she was getting back at Pearson- whatever for throwing her father's boyfriend under the bus, but nope, she wanted revenge because she was inconvenienced slightly. It was all about her, and when Harvey apologized she was all "that's all I wanted you to say! I forgive you. Lets have tea and forget the whole thing even happened." You could see on Tanner's face that the whole thing was absolute BULLLLLSH#T! Why did we even need him?

Oh yeah, I forgot... to push Harvey/Scottie. Scottie in my opinion is probably the best fit for Harvey. She's the only character who's freely admitted that she's in love with Harvey, and she quite literally will do anything for him. She got fired for him during the finale last season. And this season I was practically screaming at the TV "KISS HER, DAMMIT!" Harvey realized that Scottie tried to screw him back in season 1 only because defeating him is the only way to get his attention, but after she admitted her feelings, Harvey's been.. well, idiotic. The writers really need to show what happened between the 10 years where Harvey was a kind, caring individual that opened up to people and 5 years where he became the All-Business Harvey who celebrated his partnership instead of mourning the loss of his dad. SOMETHING happened! (BTW, so if Harvey and Scottie are now a thing, how's Donna gonna handle it? She flat out told Harvey that he was an idiot for not going after her in the first place, but the show REALLY seems to be pushing Harvey/Donna recently...)

Mike acted like a child in front of Rachel for the whole episode. Personally I saw the decision to go to Colombia a mile away, based on her reaction when Louis gave her the thick envelope three episodes ago. She's a member of the main cast. They aren't going to put her on the bus now. I ESPECIALLY liked the scene where Rachel confronts Jessica over "the Harvard Rule." A lot of viewers have been questioning how Rachel will stay on if she goes to Colombia, and this conversation between Rachel and Jessica neatly tied the loose end up. Of course, we didn't actually SEE Jessica accept Rachel's terms, but Rachel had the best argument- The Harvard graduates are pretty much all sheep and Rachel is levels above all of them. The only person on par with Rachel is Katrina, and even Rachel is better because Katrina can't reign in Louis like she can.

Louis- Sooo glad the cat wasn't involved this time, but I question why Sheila was put in this episode. Louis hasn't mentioned her all season, and yet there they were, in bed together like they've been dating off screen for a while. It may have been just a cheap way to set up the final scene of Louis finding Mike's secret, because it just doesn't make sense. Louis is in a relationship with a woman who is basically his soul mate. If he had been with her this whole time, why did he waste three episodes pining over a cat? Couldn't he use the sad energy by just having angry sex with her and forgetting about the stupid kitty? I would understand Louis's obsession with the cat if he genuinely had nobody to come home to every night, but Sheila's a very attractive woman, and I'd much rather cuddle with her than with a furry creature.

Overall, this wasn't the best episode, and some of the more interesting characters were wasted, but it got done what needed to be done. Mike and Rachel are still together, Rachel's going to Colomba and will most likely be the exception to the Harvard rule, Jessica is queen bee again with "Unlimited POWWWAAAAAHHHH!" Harvey now has an official girlfriend (though, knowing Harvey, I give it one episode before his ego drives a wedge between the two of them) and Louis might or might not have found Mike's secret. I assume he's going to bring this matter straight to Jessica, so the second half will hinge on what Jessica's reasoning will be.
More+
Flag
"Seriously, though, Harvey's apologies really threw me for a loop. Normally, when he's proven wrong, he'll kind of apologize, but never actually say he's sorry. This is highlighted during the first two episodes, when he was a dick to Mike for "backstabbing" him, and when Harvey was basically told to stop acting like a douche by Donna, Harvey just said "come back home." No apologies whatsoever! But here, after basically screwing over Scottie for something she didn't do, Harvey's first words were "I'm Sorry." My little Harvey is growing up!"

RIGHT?! I feel like they promised us that Harvey would be humbled and that he wouldn't be such an egomaniac dick this season, and we haven't gotten much of that at all. So he apologiaed and it was a real apology and it threw me off because I could think of a half a dozen times where he should have apologized like that with actually saying "sorry" and everyhting, and he didn't.
Flag
This season has made me forget about all about last season. The quality of this season seems to be up and down and I'm looking forward to the break, sadly.
Flag
Colombia: country in South America.
Columbia: Ivy League college in Harlem =P
Flag
I enjoy the twists and if this show seems complex, you should just stop watching it. I, for one, am sick of simple, simpering, predictable shows and it is frustrating when good writing, good acting and particularly good direction are punished by cancellations. Suits, Covert Affairs and Crossing Lines are some of the best shows currently airing, my only hope is the writers don't begin to believe that all of tvdom needs dummied down plots, vocabulary and relationships. No, really, who allows you to write this column, Like, you know???? Someone please strike these words from the dictionary. Even in sarcasm, the dummying down of society is shameful.
Flag
It was so exciting, I turned it off and went to bed half way through
Flag
So true, it felt like the longest ep ever
Flag
Lol if that is a insult to the show then you have my thumbs up!
Flag
I really really hope Ava never comes back again!
Flag
I believe that you are confusing the misleading preview cut with the actual episode. In the preview cut he "said": "If you go to Stanford we are over" - ultimatum. In the actual episode he said: "If you go to Stanford we are probably over" - not an ultimatum, but a sign of his concern over the long distance relationship issue. While it is possible to make a long distance relationship work, the odds are really against it, especially for a couple that doesn't have a lengthy shared history.
Flag
kids. kids everywhere.
Flag
This episode felt uneven, my main problem was Mike and acting like a little kid.

It was an interesting ending, I think Louis will be suspicious of Mike even for for the rest of the season.
Flag
I think Louis will immediately report it to Jessica (who already knows Mike's a fraud) and Jesica will make a bullshit story to make Louis satisfied, or she'll tell him everything, then ask him "what do you plan to do about it, since if Mike goes, I go and the firm goes under?" This will force Louis to keep his mouth shut over his loyalty to Jessica.
Flag
Just saw the bad grammar in my second sentence >.<

I think Jessica could cover for Mike but I think Louis will go to Harvey first before Jessica. I do think they will tell him something that covers all their asses though.
Flag
I doubt Louis would go to Harvey. Louis knows that Harvey is super protective of Mike, so of course he'd cover for him. Louis doesn't know that Jessica knows, though, and while Harvey has made fun of Louis the whole series with only a few instances of genuine praise, Jessica has been more-or-less fair to Louis. She consoled him when he was down, punished him when he voted against her, but kept him on and even admitted that Hardman was right in promoting him to Senior Partner, and even gave Louis a Harvey-level assignment last week. The only times Jessica was ever mean to Louis (to his face) was when she had bigger fish to fry and Louis was an unwelcome distraction from her ultimate goals. Louis thinks that most, if not all, of the associates are below Jessica's level of even noticing, so it would make sense for Louis to go to Jessica, who is supposed to be impartial to the associates, and tell her about the Mike Ross file missing and what his next move should be.
Flag
It looks like it won't be THAT immediate... like it might happen at the END of the next episode or the episode after that. Because a preview has him questioning the possibility of it being true to his little personal recorder.

That being said... the previews also make it look like he starts working against them. Which would be fitting with his personality: HE'S BEEN WRONGED! From his point of view, they were doing this behind his back and laughing at the fact they were tricking him. Again, his point of view... not reality.

But... what can he do? If he takes Mike + Harvey down then the firm is going to suffer. After everything they just went through, for 1/2 of the named partners to get nailed the firm is DONE. And if he knows about Jessica, then he'd really kill the firm.
Flag
My predictions... Louis will go to Jessica. Jessica will give a bullshit explanation as to why Mike's file isn't in the cabinet. Louis will become even more suspicious and send Katrina to investigate. Katrina will spend 5 episodes working together with Mike on cases of the week. (I REALLY want more cases of the week) Katrina will discover Mike's secret, but working with him has made her fall in love with him, and she doesn't tell Louis. Louis lets it go, and Katrina blackmails Mike into sleeping with her, then uses it as leverage to sabotage Rachel and Mike's relationship.
Flag
I love it. But sadly Louis can dig out the truth from other sources, not involving Harvey, Jessica or Katrina. I love how they set the stage for Louis to want to subject Mike to some public humiliation, yet he will probably be bound to secrecy by Jessica for the sake of the firm. Could he use this as a weapon to bring down Jessica or Harvey, either by direct leverage or by making an anonymous complaint to the bar? It's going to be a long wait until January!
Flag
– No, really, what was even the point of Tanner this week?

Probably because
  • He's the closest thing Harvey has as a rival and perhaps equal and saves time introducing a new character as a worthy adversary.
  • He's a complete d-bag that would drag Harvey's feelings for Scotti into the open. And like the previous point, it saves time re-using him
For the first part... sure they could introduce some random guest-star and spend crucial screen time showing how good he is, surprising Harvey with his skills, etc. OR they can use someone the audience already knows that can put up a fight with Harvey, play dirty, and get under his skin and dedicate those extra 5-10 minutes of Louis :-)

As for the second part... they wanted the show to jump start Harvey and Scotti's relationship so they needed some catalyst to have him admit his feelings to her and himself. A sleazy d-bag practically torturing Scotti in front of him suffices.
Flag
Whether-or-not Louis truly figures it out is an interesting mystery for next season (half-season?).

Some clips suggest that he's still unsure: such as asking his voice recorder if it's possible as a mental-note.

It is a valid thing to be concerned about. What's more likely: a large university misplaced one file out of many-many-thousands, / an employee tricked your firm / or 2 high-level lawyers risk their careers covering for the employee.

If it digs a little deeper he will find out that Mike has all of his electronic ducks in a row... records, transcripts, etc. so losing a file is likely. BUT if he digs deeper then he will find it out. His girlfriend never heard of him / people from Mike's year didn't know him / etc.
Flag
I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed Tanner coming back, he's fun and he is always saying true things, even if he's being rude about it. Of course, the law suit would end in Pearson whatever favor, they always win (which is seriously starting to get annoying). I didn't like the Rachel Mike plot, it wasn't nice of Mike to react like this, and even thought the Jessica-Rachel scene was awesome in Rachel's part, her succumbing like that to Columbia did not show much character strength (exactly because of Mike's ultimatum). I liked Mike's struggle though. He was at a point when he was thinking will I end up as emotionally unapproachable as Harvey and have nothing but this job, or will I something other than that. And that's the great difference between them isn't it? That Harvey easily prioritizes his job over anything else, while Mike doesn't? Louis and his Harvard lady were cute. Fun cute not boring cute. And it was so expected that at some point Louis would find out about Mike. I mean when she said you can't touch the files, I was more than certain that he would dig around and find nothing. Now Harvey and Scottie. Scottie was being annoyingly stubborn. Harvey was trying too much to overcompensate. I like iceman Harvey. I liked what he said to Mike, about not being able to give relationship advice, because, yeah he can't. I don't think this thing with Scottie will last. And somehow I had this awkward feeling, that the I want you in my life, reminded me of the I don't want to loose you. Come work with me? Yeah, not emotionally unavailable at all. Anyways, it will be a long time till January. Hope, the show will be more like season 2 when it returns.
More+
Flag
I was utterly bored... I wish Suits went back to be about the law rather than petty drama about workplace-related couples, this week we had not just the unending and unbearable Mike-Rachel bickering but now also the Scotty-Harvey drama. Even Louis has to struggle with Harvard blondie wanting to be Litted up exclusively (though the Fedex pm vs. Fedex am aside was funny) and we have to go through another round of Donna-Stephen confrontation (even if that was a red herring). Mike going all teenage agnst was just eye-roll worthy...
So with all business reduced to who's been sleeping with & who cares about whom, no wonder Jessica is a bit sick of office fraternisation... I certainly am...
Oh and that last minute 'Louis is onto Mike again' felt kind of desperate... Cant' they think of other plots?
Flag
I'm getting tired of Louis' on again off again hunting of Mike. They need to make him part of the inner circle. Where was Katrina? I'd actually like to see her around more often it feels like the firm only has 5 full time employees at anyone time (counting Scotty this week). Harvey now cares deeply for Scotty, BS! Harvey can't express his feelings for Scotty because he has none. I'll to the love birds later.
Flag
Moral of the story: Never let anyone at work know your secret/s or they will always find ways to blackmail u into every pit hole u stumble into: aka, Jessica on Mike. Maybe we should add Louis to Jessica's pool too for next season too.
Flag
Well, the title isn't too subtle.

Rachel stays, Scottie also stays. We get that!

Nice to see (and weird to see) Harvey's so-called emotional side. That could actual ruin his reputation!

Specter 3, Tanner 0, when will Tanner ever get a break! :) I tell you, eventually, these 2 are going to be setup in a scenario where they will have to begrudgingly work together, that's gonna be really funny.. :)

Ya gotta love the way Jessica maneuvered Donna into getting the inside scoop on Mike and Rachel. Donna never saw it coming!

The little prison visit was either brilliant or stupid.. I mean, wouldn't Stephen know about recorded conversation in jail during visits? Then again, who knows, maybe its different in Britain, but, still. Let's chalk it up to a brilliant move, which only Donna could have pulled off.

So, what happened between Jessica and Rachel? Rachel is gonna stay! Obviously, the next episodes will have to fill up that gap. Especially like how Rachel was able to stand up to Jessica during the negotiation. That was interesting.

Obviously, Jessica should be very worried if Rachel's father ever found this out. As I understand that character, he would be laughing his ass off, but at the same time, the moment Mike and Rachel would be splitsville, would use this knowledge to bury Pearson Specter to the ground, again all in the name of business.

But the best part.. Louis Litt. He's the hemorrhoid that no amount of Preparation H could EVER soothe that annoying itch that he is. You gotta love how the story has weaved him in the one place he should NEVER be, which is Harvard's Records.

This begs the question, how will this go from here? Was Mike's file misplaced? Will there be a reckoning? I mean, Mike's secret is like a run on a pantyhose which is building up steam, if this continues, it will run wild!

This show is cool, and the office intrigues are fun, but I kinda hope that at some point, this kinda of intrigue will level off and we start getting more of the Harvey/Mike combo on dealing with clients.

At some point, I hope that things will get somewhat resolved and provide some form of stability within the firm, if only, again, for a little while.

But I can see that eventually, something's gotta give between Jessica and Harvey. I suspect that Jessica is going to cross a line she won't be able to recover from.

One wonders what it will take to get Mike to be 'legit'. That's something else to ponder about.

After all, if his secret came out in the open, every case he's participated could be undone.

Thus the unreality of the show, considering how much Harvey Specter is supposed to be a straight shooter.

Overall, this is a good episode and it promises more good things to come.

More+
Flag
"Any woman who has been repeatedly Litt-up, would demand exclusive dominion over my body."

"Duh"
Flag
I think we need more Jessica/Donna scenes! Two very strong women on screen at the same time... pure magic.
Flag
Oh hey, Tanner, again. The question of Why seems to spring to mind

Flag
NOOOO!!!! Rachel is not leaving, this is a disaster guys.
Also I am really glad Louis knows, I can not wait to see what he does with that info. Hopefully this helps grow a back bone against Harvey and Jessica.
Flag
I don't mind Rachel staying just as long as she's not fighting with Mike all the time.
Flag
Great finale. I was quite surprised to see Harvey succumb to his feelings like that, but in a good way. While business/personal Harvey is the guy I'd rather have on the show, as this episode proudly displayed, sometimes feelings trump business. The same happened with Mike and Rachel, and with Louis and Sheila. By the way, nice seeing her again, despite screwing Louis in two different ways LOL!!! I knew Sheila and Louis were very much alike, but I didn't really picture her as a relationship-type woman; but as long as Louis is happy, I'm happy. However, that cliffhanger with him getting into that Harvard file room and not finding Mike's file is a definite game changer for next season, and as much as I like Mike, the impending drama should be real good.

Jessica's move with that affidavit was to cover her ass, but i'll admit it did come across as a little callous to me. I'm still pro Jessica, but I don't think she needed to go to that length to keep Rachel's silence. At some point, the word "trust" really needs to slap her in the face harder when it comes to anyone other than Harvey Spectre. But if I was in her position, I probably would've done the same thing given her dad is Robert Zane. Their history is not to be taken lightly. It's not as bad as Tanner, but it's up there. By the way, Tanner was a complete ass and I'm so glad Harvey is still undefeated to him. Speaking of that, Donna tricking Huntley AGAIN was very fun and surprising to watch. Well done Donna!!!

I also loved how Harvey changed Ava's mind. He actually appealed to whatever conscience she had left. I honestly would not have minded him ripping her apart verbally, but he took the smarter route, and shockingly, it even sounded sincere!!!

Rachel was quite the adult with her decision in this episode, despite Mike being very insensitive. She weighed the pros and cons, chose Stanford, found out she was practically forced by Jessica to choose Stanford, yet turned it around and not only came right back at Jessica with some momentum, but chose Stanford, then changed her mind maturely to Mike and Columbia. Good for her.

Love this show!!!
More+
Flag
too bad we have to wait till january that sucks
Flag
Follow this Show
Members