A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E16: "No Way Out"

Sooo, that was unexpected—not so much with Harvey and Scottie breaking up, but with Harvey and Jessica actually letting her out of her non-compete so she could leave, and certainly with Mike leaving Pearson-Specter for the banking job with Sidwell. I'm actually really excited to see how this is all going to work in Season 4 (which is only like, two months away, btw). "No Way Out" also managed to put Donna and Rachel in an awkward position, intentionally or not (and I really hope it was done intentionally and that it gets some screen time when the show returns in June). 

When Mike and Harold were arrested for their roles—and Harvey's—in the Ava Hessington case, much of the attention within Pearson-Specter turned to Mike's sham of a life and how, with just enough scrutiny in the right direction, his falsified credentials would come to light and he'd be in way more trouble than he already was and Pearson-Specter would be destroyed and, you know, all the doomsday prophesies that Jessica and the gang have thrown out there since they realized that maybe hiring a kid who never actually went to Harvard or joined the bar might not've been the best business move. 

Donna and Rachel's allegiances very quickly rose to the surface, coloring everything they did during "No Way Out"—which in Rachel's case, as usual, wasn't very much. Donna, predictably, sided with Harvey and everything was about protecting Harvey and OMG WHAT IF MIKE TURNS ON HARVEY? 

Rachel's concerns were the exact opposite of Donna's. Livid when Mike initially refused to take the job with Sidwell, Rachel fretted over Mike's relationship with Harvey overshadowing theirs and how Mike will never roll over on Harvey, even to his own detriment, even when Harvey actually encourages him to, like he did in the interrogation room at Mt. Doom. 

The key to Donna and Rachel still functioning and working well together, I think, is that neither woman knows how passionate the other is for her respective man (which is kind of a gross sentence to type, and now I'd like to add "stories for Donna and Rachel that don't revolve around Mike and Harvey" to my Season 4 wishlist). I mean, everyone knows that Donna has and will jump on a grenade for Harvey at pretty much any time. The thing about Rachel is, while I'm not entirely certain that she has that level of devotion to Mike, she would certainly toss Harvey under the bus if it would help Mike. Donna and Rachel's conflicting allegiances puts them in an uncomfortable place from a viewer's perspective. Considering their sort-of-BFF status, nothing could come of this, or a lot of drama could come from this. 

Also on the subject of awkward BFFs: How badass were Harvey and Louis tag-teaming their way to Harold and Mike's rescue? 

By far the most important and OMG development in "No Way Out," however, was Mike Ross finding an alternate way out of the hot seat through a last-minute career change to investment banking with Jonathan Sidwell. So much of Suits' baggage is stuffed with Mike's fake law school creds and the potential fallout should the knowledge of those fraudulent credentials fall into the wrong hands. By leaving Pearson-Specter, Mike dodged that bullet for the time being, and so did the firm. However, I highly doubt it can be that easy. Mike's problems simply can't *poof* away with a job change right? 

It's a bold move for Suits, though, and it's a change that's poised to alter the fabric of the series for at least the time being. Mike may no longer be a lawyer going forward, but Sidwell's firm is a client of Pearson-Specter, so he'll certainly remain involved and on-location. Plus, Harvey technically works for Mike now, which has the potential for all kinds of turning the show on its head when we return in June. 

My Suits Season 4 Wishlist

– More stories for Rachel and Donna that are actually about Rachel and Donna and not about Mike and Harvey. 

– More Team SpLitt. 

– A little bit of fun with the whole Mike-is-Harvey's-boss-but-not-really thing. 

– Louis and Sheila reconcile pleeeeeeeze. 

What's on yours

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/22/2017

Season 6 : Episode 15

Next Episode

AIRS ON 3/1/2017

Season 6 : Episode 16

161 Comments
Comments (161)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Suits has become appallingly bad - i mean its dropped from like an 8.6-9/10 to a 7/10. I know i'm late on the bandwagon, i;m tryig to catch up.

This show used to be about a law firm and incorporates drama. Since about halfway through season 2, its become a drama that's centred around a law firm. Since about the time they started beginning each episode with 'previously on suits', the writing has become extremely formulaic and predictable. The amount of times i hear 'we're done' or 'what are you saying? What i'm saying is' or 'character brings up threat and person asks 'what do you want'. It's literally just become a soap opera - kind of like what i remember House used to be.

Since season 2.5, literally all the legal problems are solved by Mike being in a conversation and then it will mean something to his case - a eureka moment. Every. Single. Time. Are we meant to believe that? You can't win every single case you take. It just doesn't work like that.

And then in season 3, you can literally just look at the episode and say well what personal drama is happening this episode and how is it going to affect their work? It's so predictable. It's also unrealistic. It's so unrealistic to the point that I feel the writers ran out of ways to make legal drama so they're just manufacturing personal drama between the characters. Again, it's become a soap opera. It's not even realistic that these people can function as working colleagues considering the amount of blackmail and extortion that goes on.

And Rachel Zane? No paralegal, i don't care what kind of experience or talent you are. No paralegal would ever be allowed to threaten, let alone speak to a partner like she does. She would be fired on the spot no matter if she has leverage.

Same with Katrina. When Jessica fired her season 3, and then said 'i can't fire her for being loyal' - umm yes you can because she messed up BIG TIME. Common sense should have told her to go to Louis not try doing something that's not your work. This is the point where i just realised the writers don't care. They've turned it into a soap opera and they're just going to keep it that way.

Again, i know i'm a year late but I dont think im going to make it to season 4. Season 1 was excellent but sorry Suits, you lost your way.

More+
Flag
Mmmm....not so sure; the Mike/Harvey mentor/apprentice relationship is key to the enjoyment of Suits and Mike leaving the firm is a big change in dynamics. Both The Mentalist and The Good Wife have had to make major core plot shifts lately, admittedly because key characters were leaving, but they didnt have to make such major upheavals as they did. Personally the change in dynamics in both those shows have not worked for me, especially in The Good Wife which has completely lost my interest since the split in firms. I fear Suits may have committed Hari-Kari by changing the relationships so much, but I'll give series 4 a go for sure. Trouble is, there's no going back - I can't see any way Jessica would ever employ Mike again, knowing what she knows now. I don't think anyone involved is envisaging a series 5
Flag
I've only just begun with "Suits" - I don't have a TV {I watch a few such via the net - I have Suits via LoveFilm} - I'm still in Season 1, and, so far, the only relationship with any natural heat & heart is H & M - M & H.
Flag
-I am really looking forward to seeing Mike in a new environment where he's not plagued by this faux-lawyer business... even if it isn't for very long.
-I am glad that Scottie's going, she's a pain! Harvey's changing for the better, and dumps him?
=How cool is SpLitt? I do hope we get to see more of this duo?
-I &3 Jessica's wardrobe!!!
- I love the Donna-Harvey friendship.
Flag
That was GOOD ! First off... Jessica is the best dressed lawyer, ever. Team SpLitt...fantastic. More please. Mike is loyal, and now is "boss"... more please !
Flag
Harvey and Louis were the best. Their antagonist dynamics really add to the show.
I love Mike's true dedication to Harvey. The obvious part of this is that Harvey is just as dedicated!
GREAT SEASON!
Flag
What are the chances that Mike at the begining of Season 4 will be coaxed to stay back at the firm!
Flag
I think I read an interview from one of the writers saying Mike will stay at his new job for quite a while, so happy its going to stick for a while at least. But I think we all expect Mike to come back by the end of Season 4A.
Flag
I'd like to see season 4 focus more on Mike's new job and not so much with Pearson-Spectar. I also hope that he doesn't tell his new co-workers about his superpower too soon; draw it out a bit.

Less of Rachel please.
Flag
in the end, a real red-head will come and rock harvey's world so much, he'll say "screw law, let's run to europe"

Mike & Rachel will get married. rachel will not work and desperately become a housewife. they won't be rich because mike's new job will not hold and he'll be having a less spectacular job that he has a real diploma for.

Litt and Sheila will not marry but adopt kids. they'll compete with pitt & jolie co.

Jessica will give the company to Litt and run off with a criminal into the sunset, because that's totally her character.

and donna...will be alone all her life. sorry donn, you are just too much for anyone.

Flag
I LOVED when Harvey came back, walked into jessica's office saying, "Honey, I'm home!" and her snappy comeback; "Did you remember to pick up the kids like I asked?" Laughed out loud at that one; so funny, and so true! Kinda tied back nicely to the "family" bonding talk Jessica and Rachel had earlier, when they were waiting for news.
Flag
As usual the best part of the episode was Litt. It was a strong episode but him channeling his inner Harmon was awesome.
Flag
I just want them to let Mike's new position breathe a bit and not spend the entire time trying to bring him back to the firm. Technically his job is still high-powered enough to keep up with the title.
Flag
Am I the only one who feels this series slowly making it to my "Don't watch list".

A couple of things that really has started to annoy me:
-Rachel. Just saying her name should be enough, but a little more detail as; Her freakin personality. And the love triangles with mike (Is this a soap opera?). And probably going to start again in season 4 in mike's new job. There will certainly be a girl at his new job, who will spark the triangle bs. Her reaction to everything like the fact that Mike registered himself to the bar and tried to tell her about it, and she was bitchy and then the day after when he again "I was going to tell you but you didn't let me" she still got angry. Ah seriously enough already. And also such a "when were you going to tell me" cliché.

Harvey's like superman. I mean come on. Okay, he is a damn good lawyer, lets say the best. acceptable. But he is also a reeeeeally good poker player? There is a lot of these things that the series make him look like a God in everything. No-one dares to fight him. Come on, I mean he can't be good at everything.

Thank God scottie and Harvey has broken it off, lets hope she doesn't come back. Agh.

Things like Harvey said in the interrogation room "Now we wait" thats okay, but then the same thing happens in a law firm when Jessica goes into Rachel's office and says basically the same thing and they "wait" exactly like they are.

We all know that Donna is going to end up with Harvey. And I don't like the fact that I feel that its too obvious that they will indeed wend up together but still stalling with other girlfriends until the last season or rather the last episode to make Donna and Harvey a couple, a.k.a happily ever after scene. (Don't like it because feels predictable and don't tune in for a soap opera) Might not happen though so prove me wrong.

And a lot of how they shoot the scenes, for example the scene when they come out of holding, and Louis Harvey and Mike is walking in the middle of the street, with wind and filmed from behind and going like they have the world at their feet and just.. its filmed like they are trying to make me like and think so much of them. Like when Harvey pushed that dude the camera was from down low so we should look up to him making him look bigger and stronger, but when the other guy pushed the camera was neutral.
I mean they do it with everything for example letting Harvey wear a big power tie and Mike a smaller one so we'll know who's boss. which is fine, but its too much of these things, its like OK we get it.
I don't know these things annoy me.

Actually the only thing I still like and is "saving" the show, is Louis.

Wow had to vent a little, but I think this show is on the edge for me. If the two first episodes in season 4 isn't good (my standard of good haha) then its bye-bye. Well thats my opinion anyway hope the suits-die-hard-fans don't take it too hard :)
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Wow. I'm surprised you watch the show at all based on your observations. I suggest you stop. I stopped watching "Person of Interest" because I thought it got ridiculous and unbelievable. I can accept 'unbelievableness' in a drama if I really like and/or care about the characters (e.g. "NCIS").

That said, so far I find nothing unbelievable about Harvey Specter. There are people just like him in the real life. That is to say they are smart, successful, talented, self-assured, self-confident, and charismatic.

They also show Harvey's character defects and his human/vulnerable side -- the part of himself that he hides from most people.

And there is absolutely nothing unbelievable about a really good lawyer also being a really good poker player.

In this world, there are individuals that are actually really good at a lot of things.

Harvey is not supposed to be really good at "everything". So far, I have learned that Harvey is a really good lawyer and really good poker player. And he's also supposed to be a good boxer because he actually boxes.

As far as I know, he's not a really good musician, tennis player, golfer, bowler, Motocross rider, Formula 1 driver, yachtsman, carpenter, ballroom dancer, sculptor, chess player, ice skater, snow skier, water skier, mechanic, electrician, plumber, etc.
More +
Flag
As you say, I should probably stop watching. Because after all of your points, which is valid and should maybe make me rethink what I wrote: I still, maybe stubbornly, stand by the picture I've gotten from the show and the characters on it.
You are right, a good lawyer can be a good poker player and a good boxer. But those are just a few things, what I mean is that the show is trying to glorify and make him even better at all things..
And as I wrote, there's a lot more things that annoys me on the show then just the Harvey thing… Wow I hate being this critical on a show that I still watch haha.
Maybe I'm just bummed out that I enjoyed watching the series and now I kinda don't.
Flag
I think USA should keep the "Mike might be caught" story arc for the last season or the series final and maybe only touch upon it for once, or at most twice, per season.

My preference for season four is LESS focus on the personal relationship stuff. I find it's making the show too soap opera like. We can see the characters grow and their relationships grow during the cases the handle and that's enough.

I'd like more focus on outlandish legal cases and legal maneuvering a la "The Practice".

Flag
Hell no
Flag
Better yet, Boston Legal!
Flag
I am with you 100%.
Flag
Some more Katrina Bennett! Her and Litt are a force to be reckoned with! Where was she when all of this kicked off!
Flag
She was fired by Jessica in the last episode.
Flag
Fired and not. Remember the scene where Jessica went over to Louis Litt's place? She said "We cant fire someone for being loyal" or something like that. Im pretty sure Katrina is still Louis' associate in S4.
Flag
I thought she was unfired once Jessica found out the truth about her covering for Louis.
Flag
Correct, she was rehired.
Flag
what an ender. i'm super excited for season 4 and what i wish for, i want rachel out!
Flag
I guess I'm the only one that wants to see Mike Ross be branded a domestic terrorist and sent to Gitmo and enjoy the fun with 12volts and his testicles? This show needs to just put everyone in Jail and end. It has gone so far past jumping the shark that not even a wizard can bring it back to any semblance of reality!
Flag
Stop watching it. Seriously, if you think it "jumped" -- don't watch it.
Flag
I did... many many years ago.
Flag
Really? And yet you are here commenting on Suits. Ha Ha. If Suits isn't worth it, don't waste any of your precious time watching and commenting on Suits :D

If I weren't following Suits, I would not be here; Suits Community.
Flag
Noted and shelved!
Flag
Flag
I have just this to say to your wishlist MaryAnn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew
Flag
Let me try that again. I forgot we have features now.
Flag
i dont think all this finale shit is over. eric woodall apparently doesn't give up. also mike suddenly jumping ship should make him even more suspicious, so more of this please!
Flag
Let's face it, this show doesn't need the "Mike is a fraud" thing anymore. It served its purpose of making Harvey a better man and lawyer and all that stuff that Donna said to Jessica, but now it is just a pain for us too. We cannot focus on anything new because THAT is there. And it will be there forever, unless we go into Mike saving the president of the usa and given a pass for that, or if people start becoming vampires in the show just to distract our attention. If we don't move pass this, it will be Suits own "Red John". I hope this move towards the next season can help sort it out somehow. We need new problems to deal with, please let's just not dwell for years and years on the same item.
Flag
I know right? The mike fraud thing should have been over and dealt with. It is too redundant if they keep on making problems for the characters based on the problem of mike being a fraud. They already have 4 seasons, i wish by the end of season 4, they will solve this mike fraud problem. Prolonging and putting it over our heads won't make the show interesting; rather, it will just make the show boring and disables the story on going forward to another plot.
Flag
I agree, the show can't continue when this is weighing so much upon Mike and everyone he loves. Or at least, the show can't continue forward...
I'm wondering what the show will be like in season 4. I'm comparing it to The Good Wife: when they split their core characters into two law offices, it made for an incredible change. Incredible, and absolutely awesome. In it's fifth season, TGW is reaching new heights!
And I'm hoping they'll try and do that here with Suits as well: keep Mike as an investment banker on the show in season 4. Have the guts to pull that off and create new story lines, which will drive even more character development. Here's to you, USA, I'm rooting for ya to show some balls!
Flag
Yes, I would also hope for this to take TGW direction :) Wondering how it would work... but hoping.
Flag
Agree.. just Harvey shouldn´t end like Will.
Flag
I don't think it's necessarily a given that Mike will end up taking the new job. If you recall the "next season preview" during the credits, I think in the very last scene, Mike was arguing with Donna about taking the new job. This is happening in the office of Peason Specter, and it's pretty clear that Mike's still kind of wrestling with the decision, and definitely hasn't packed up and moved on from law yet.

Based on this, I predict that a major theme of season four will (still) be Mike debating whether to stay or go and get off clean. Now for a prediction with no basis other than, "Yeah, I could see that." Perhaps a situation arises (or escalates) where it ends up being either Mike or Harvey who is about to take a major fall, something to the tune of lifetime imprisonment. In order for Mike to save Harvey's ass, even though it results in everything falling apart for him, he needs to stay in law, or maybe even come completely clean on the stand under oath (regardless of the fact that perjuring himself would be a comparatively minor crime in the whole scheme of things).

Loved the finale. It was super satisfying with some awesome twists.
More+
Flag
i think i'm the only one who ships harvey and scottie. i mean i get it that in the in the last few episodes they've been a little off but they understand each other and harvey is working hard to make scottie feel better. It was frustrating that they made her leave. she could have been a recurring character and that would have worked like it was already. what i really want from the next season (besides a good and interesting storyline with mike's job that doesn't ruin the show) is harvey and scottie starting afresh without these annoying problems so they understand each other better and harvey is more open to her.

Flag
I actually ship scottie and harvey! :) I think she is great with Harvey, it is just that there many problems in their jobs that kept them from being together. I am hoping that she will be back and they could try again (third time is the charm! :))

I don't like Donna for Harvey. I think that Donna is better off as the right hand of Harvey. If they go pass that line, it will over-complicate their relationship. And i see her as the eldest sister/bff of harvey, who is a constant supporter of Harvey. LOL
Flag
Harvey may love Scottie, but he's "in love" with Donna.
Flag
-Rachel dying or moving to another country
-Jessica and Harvey stop bending rules
-Louie accepts the no kids idea and is back with Sheila.
Flag
This week's "either the writers don't know how the law works or decided they didn't care": There's no such thing as a non-compete contract for lawyers. It is, in fact, unethical to try to impose one.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_5_6_restrictions_on_rights_to_practice.html

Kind of odd that Scottie didn't know that.
Flag
The women (& men) on the show only had to pass the bar of 'hotness'.

Like most television shows, people are usually too young and beautiful for the 'typical' members of their profession.

Flag
Season 4 wishlist:
- Rachel get a life, go to school, stop being defined by Mike's dick.
- Harvey stop moaning about Scottie.
- Mike makes his new life work and stick.
- Donna moves on with her love life and gets beyond Harvey.
- Louis gets new pussy. A cat, I mean a cat.
- Jessica do more than busrt in and bluster and fire people.
Flag
Ugh, Scottie! I knew not to trust this show, Scottie is not a character, she is only a foil for Harvey. She has never done anything besides that, and now the season of the Harvey/Scottie hookup has birthed yet another buzzkilling Scottie payoff.

Wow, the things you focus on, MaryAnn. Donna and Rachel were so little of this very heavy story, and they end up with 2/3rds of the review.

If this weren't USA Network, I would expect the change of job to be permanent, Mike can still be interesting on the series without being a fake lawyer - that's really not the driving force of the series anymore. But as it is USA, nothing really changes on these shows until the series finales, so I'm sure Mike will be back at the firm in 3 episodes, tops.

Anyway, I liked this episode even though it felt very much like a generic situation that our heroes could overthrow. Donna saved the day, Harvey made a big speech, Mike made his move, Harvey told Scottie, and Louis got to play hardball in the big leagues.
Flag
5. More TV Show Quote
Flag
i love this half of the season it was soooo good. love this show.
Flag
Can someone explain to me what's so bad about Rachel? I love her character - storyline and support for Mike. Granted, it takes her awhile to come to a supportive position but isn't that true of a lot of women?
Flag
Her character is shadowed by Mike. Her character wasn't like that before. She was feisty and independent. She should just break up with mike, go away, and focus on being a lawyer. Her character is annoying over time.
Flag
Rachel is a shallowly-written character, her wants and needs are in most of her stories are there solely to serve Mike. The actress is fine, the character needs to live outside of being Mike Ross' blowup sex doll.
Flag
I absolutely agree about what you said. Rachel and Donna need their own story which doesnt revolve around their men. I mean seriously Rachel! I hope timejump in S4 makes Rachel a lawyer and let her do her job that has nothing to do with Mike. Donna get her own personal life. Jessica is being Jessica as always :)
Flag
I could be wrong but I think some of the reason people hated Scottie was due to a key decision the writers made. Suits and Rectify were renewed around the same time so Aaron Korsh must have known Abigail Spencer couldn't be a series regular. So they chose this arc for her that had to be wrapped up in 4 episodes. That decision made her a one dimensional character. My problem with that is why go there at all if you can't truly explore what she/Harvey could be. It was a waste of Abigail Spencer's talent to fight with Harvey about the same thing for 4 episodes then end everything completely. Ridiculous. In past seasons I always thought Scottie brought a lot to the table. Unlike Donna and Rachel she was a strong, independent female character who you knew could be fully formed without swirling around a man. Flawed yes but better that than one dimensional like in the last four. I guess I'm not sad to see her go if this is all they could come up with.
Flag
Agreed. Agreed. I think if she was a regular, she could be the character who is not shadowed by the men, has interesting personality, and is in par with Harvey. They could be the 'power' couple. hahahaha
Flag
Interesting point. My frustration is that every time we have Scottie she's played the same way: very little actual character, relying on the actress to carry the part, and used solely as a foil for Harvey to get under his skin and screw him up.
Flag
Yeah you're right. And why are they doing that? Harvey doesn't need a foil IMO. He needs a fully formed character to have a real storyline with. I'm not saying it has to be Scottie or even for the rest of the show's run but give it a season to develop at least.
Flag
Loved this episode! Soooooo glad Mike took the job.
Flag
Suits is back in June already? How cool they only have a couple months layoff. I wish other shows looked at that model.
Flag
this happens because they have a lot of episodes per season AND because they take A LOT of breaks.
Flag
I'll take that over a 7 month layoff.
Flag
Many mini-layoffs or one big layoff doesn't matter to me,. I take whatever time to get a quality product as the BBC gets. Suits is a fine show, but not comparable in any scales to the BBC ones mentioned below. And this breaking seasons so much is starting to loose the "season" sense that we had before. Because they don't come in one piece, but more like 4 mini seasons. A lot of chances to loose viewers in the way too.
Flag
*cough* Sherlock and Doctor Who *cough*
Flag
Doctor Who YES!! I get the reasons behind Sherlock with the actors involved.
Flag
I really don't get all the Rachel hate. But OK. She is a bit player in the story. Gives depth to Mike's character. Not sure what else they could do with her. I wouldn't want any more out of her character - it would take time away from our favorites.

Told ya'll Mike leaving would be the in the finale. It just didn't happen quite how I expected.
Flag
Mostly good episode apart from Rachel being just awful. That and Mike and Harold's incarceration was thwarted pretty easily. But stakes are good, changing the fabric of the show is good. Jessica and Harvey worrying they were becoming evil was highlarious because they've always been evil and don't know it. Meanwhile Litt continues to steal episodes by being awesome. There was enough here for me to stick around for Season 4.
Flag
#TeamLittFTW, seriously I wanted so bad for Mike to stay Louis's associate
Flag
I could watch that "walk back onto the building in slow motion after rescuing Mike and Harold" scene for an hour.
Flag
More Team SpLitt is on my list those scenes were amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I honestly really love this development with Mike's career choice. When Castle did the same thing in season 6, I didn't like the idea but I surprisingly loved it when they actually went through with it; eventually I realised that the career change for Mike has to be addressed at some point so it is an 'organic progression' and a very logical one at that (if people still want this show to be realistic in any way). I really hope that Mike stays with the investment banking job and through that somehow incorporates the Harvey and Pearson-Specter in some way.

And am I the only one who does not want Donna & Harvey together? If they had a relationship that would be seriously terrible move; with Mike & Rachel it was different, there very obvious signs of sparks but between Harvey and Donna there is just loyalty and trust and just because Donna knows Harvey really well that doesn't that they should be together. Also Donna, to quote Harvey: Get your shit together, woman.

I also want to finally see Rachel going through with going to Law school and what happens there; the show should address it in a real way. I would say do a time-jump but it's the wrong time for it; I'd say probably between season 4 & 5 that's when it should be; it was a good decision when One Tree Hill did it and it retrospect it was one of the smartest ideas ever.

#TeanSpLitt: I have half-laughing and half in awe when Harvey, Louis and Mike had that slow-motion walk; it was sooo good. More SpLitt, please!

Don't know what to say about Jessica; although maybe seeing some more of her lawyering skills is a possible idea.

Thanks for a dramatic/awesome season, Suits! :) See you in 2 months.
More+
Flag
I so very much agree with you on Donna/Harvey, it's not just sparks though, Donna and Harvey have had sparks, it's the personalities after the sparks which mesh better as colleagues than lovers. Plus, you get the sense that they'd be terrible together, always butting heads if they were equals at home.

Rachel needs to spend some time at lawschool for sure! I don't want a time jump m'self, it seems fair to tell a story from that perspective where she's learning what the rest already know.
Flag
"if people still want this show to be realistic in any way"

Rest assured, this show is not now, nor has it ever, been realistic in any way... except that having a good secretary is essential to reaching the top stratus of any professional organization.
Flag
I would find her entirely too distracting. But maybe I have a thing for the gingers. But good Lord those dresses...
Flag
1. I agree
2. Yes!! More Louis in general and less Mike & Rachel relationship and frankly less terrified Jessica. She's the boss, she's supposed to be the one we can't watch because she's too bad ass.
3. Oh yes, that will be great!
4. As long as they don't take away screen time from Louis being Louise it's okay.

I must say it was a anti-climatic season finale, I didn't expect anything to happen to Mike due to his brilliance and Harvey's "losing is not an option-attitude. Lost potential with that prosecutor too and seriously? All he could think of was some bogus terrorist involvement that we wouldn't give him any evidence in court, it was only too stall for time until either Mike or Harold folded.

I didn't like Scottie and Harvey becoming an actual relationship, I'm glad they are over as they were much more exciting as this on&off again type. Also, Scottie's attitude with being "total honesty" was horrible. Good example of bad TV. I was surprised that Harvey actually told her Mike's secret, but since I don't care about their relationship hopefully it might be able to bite Harvey in the a$$ in the future.

And Mike took the job! I like this change, it was actually needed. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

More+
Flag
Why didn't the US Attorney bust Harvey for destroying government property by taking out that camera in the interrogation room?
Flag
Because Harvey will simply make restitution before damages can be assessed. Vandalism is really not a significant crime.
Flag
Because U.S. Attorneys don't bust people?
(Seriously... a U.S. attorney's time is valuable, so it is reserved for big cases.)
Flag
Rachel moves far way. Helix far. Michael does NOT go back to the firm. Donna stops the adoration thing - it's getting annoying. Jessica gets to be more badass and less in the office yelling at Harvey. Louis gets another cat.
Flag
Spot on.
Flag
I don't like Rachel or care about her but I really understood her at the beginning of the episode. When Louis almost found Mike out a couple of episodes ago we saw how she completely went to pieces and with him staying in the firm she would be probably constantly at such a risk. I think it was pretty selfish of Mike not to consider it when first rejecting the banking job and I'm glad he reconsidered (even if for different reasons).
Flag
But she made it all about her. How is important is Mike obeying her every command when his career's at stake.
Flag
Well, I got back to not liking her or caring later when she got back to being Rachel.
Flag
BTW, I thought they portrayed Harold's reactions and decision with a high degree of believability. Kudos!
Flag
Yeah, but it also continues to show Harold in a sub-par light as a lawyer, how stupid would he have to be to pull what he did, going up to Mike at their offices to have a freakout in public?
Flag
Fits the character. He's brilliant but hindered by his emotions.
Flag
I DO believe Mike's risk exposure drastically drops when he takes the investment job. He's got enough evidence that he did attend Harvard and is on the Bar that will pass any cursory check and there would be no credible reason for anyone to check up on him if he's no longer practicing law.

The only reason for getting Mike back I can think of that won't ruin the show for me is somehow involving that US Prosecutor still going after Mike and somehow Harvey figures out that they're all better protected with Mike at the firm. But, even that is a stretch.
Flag
The core of this show is the buddy/mentor/apprentice relationship between Mike and Harvey. That goes away when Mike leaves. Not cool.

Flag
Because buddies and mentors have to work for the same employer?
Flag
In real life? Not at all. But, for a TV show, I'd say yes. It would strain believability for the two of them to work together so closely week after week if he's doing investment banking -- even if Harvey IS their legal counsel.
Flag
Mike moving to another "major league" job gives the writers a chance to open up a different story lines -- and start another arc. I'm hoping for the best. And as "docspector" suggested, Harvey can, and most likely will, continue to be Mike's mentor.
Flag
Flag
I posted in another thread about this, but will restate my thoughts on the subject of Mike leaving...

It's really the best thing for Mike and for Pearson-Spectre. But, it's terrible for the show because:

* None of us really expect him to stay away;

* If/when Mike comes back it will invalidate/cheapen all the top quality, grown-up, intelligent admissions that Mike, Harvey, and the others had about the dangers of Mike being there.

* It will be hard for the writers to find a credible reason for Mike to return that doesn't make him look like a weak bird unable to fly on his own -- and casting huge doubts on the sanity and self-preservation of Harvey and Jessica both.

Flag
"If/when Mike comes back it will invalidate/cheapen all the top quality, grown-up, intelligent admissions that Mike, Harvey, and the others had about the dangers of Mike being there."

Unless they find a way to fix that problem. In real life, there isn't, but on TV, who knows?

"It will be hard for the writers to find a credible reason for Mike to return that doesn't make him look like a weak bird unable to fly on his own"

Half of all law graduates wind up working in fields where their law degree is not needed (currently more like 3/4). Pre-Harvey Mike would never have been able to succeed as a banker, not because he lacked the ability, but because he lacked the interest to try. I could see that resurfacing.

"casting huge doubts on the sanity and self-preservation of Harvey and Jessica both."

Consider them cast. If Mike's secret surfaces, they've got express tickets to disbarment and bankruptcy. That's already true, and will never become less true.
Flag
No, I really believe there's far less risk to the firm and to Mike if he's doing investment banking than if he continues to take on high profile cases, making powerful enemies, and generally being brilliant in and out of court.
Flag
You believe wrongly.
If he's doing investment banking, he'll be working on high-profile cases, making powerful enemies, and generally being brilliant... and the investment banking enemies can destroy him just as effectively if they find out about Mike's history of fraud as the legal enemies. Nothing has changed, except the name in the upper left corner of Mike's paycheck.
Mike basically made himself unemployable as a lawyer OR on Wall Street back when he started taking the LSAT for other people, and covering it up with larger and larger crimes. That's a house of cards, just waiting for some bird to smack into it and bring it all down.
Flag
"That's a house of cards, just waiting for some bird to smack into it and bring it all down."

But as you also said:

Unless they find a way to fix that problem. In real life, there isn't, but on TV, who knows?
Flag
Sorry, I'm not seeing it.
Flag
-- "she would certainly toss Harvey under the bus"

Aaahhh, you should have stuck with the grenade metaphor! :)
Flag
With Mike taking the job at the banking firm, I really hope they don't make season 4 end up like season 3 of Necessary Roughness. Season 3 of that show basically undid almost everything that was established in season 1 (Dani was fired from her football team within the first 5 minutes of the season premiere and sent the entire season working for a sports promotional agency; her love interest for two seasons was handwaved off with one sentence, her kids were nowhere to be seen and were mentioned only TWICE, and TK, her main client, was fired by his football team by a new coach for a minor scandal and joined a new team with no established characters.) UR's third season felt like a completely different show when Dani switched jobs, and I worry that might happen with Suits now that Mike is an investment banker and not a lawyer.

There's also the possibility of a time-jump; the writers originally wanted Mike to work for Harvey for three years between season 1 and 2 but Trevor exposing Mike put the kabosh on that. In Suits time only about 7 to 10 months passed between Harvey hiring Mike and Mike leaving. The case of the week episodes of season 1 only covered two and a half months, Hardman was only around for about one to two months max, the sexism case only took a month, Pearson/Darby and the Hessington Oil case took two months, I think Rachel and Mike celebrated the 6th-month anniversary of their first date (sushi in the library during his first case) and Pearson/Specter's cases only covered less than a month based on Donna and Harvey's conversations about Scottie, who became Harvey's girlfriend when the name officially changed and he was still trying to figure out how to make it work.

Louis and Harvey's plan to bust Mike and Harold out was brilliant, but I am a little weirded out with Louis handling a criminal case. This also was a weird thing I noticed from "Heartburn" and to a lesser extent Mike and Harvey defending Ava during her murder trial. Louis does mainly financial analysis for lawsuits. He's great with numbers, and so he's a big asset when his clients are being sued. But I don't think Louis is qualified for criminal cases. Same with Harvey. There are big differences between civil lawyers and criminal lawyers, and I highly doubt anyone would have a "one-size-fits-all" lawyer that Pearson/Darby have.

Anyone else think Harvey revealing the secret to Scottie was a bit anti-climactic? Yeah, I wasn't expecting Scottie to physically assault Harvey and then have angry sex like Rachel and Mike did, but I would at least expect Scottie to give Harvey a verbal tongue lashing as to how stupid he was for doing that. Anything except "this doesn't change me leaving." Scottie was a big disappointment this season's latter half. She was only in four of the six episodes, and all that happened was constant arguing about trust. Yeah, Donna was always giving Harvey relationship advice, but I would've at least like to see Scottie make a romantic gesture as well, since she had flat out stted she was in love with Harvey. As much as I dislike how Rachel's relationship with Mike has put her into the role of housewife instead of strong, assertive lawyer-in-training, at least the writers show how much the two characters care about each other with the little intimate moments near the beginnings and ends of each episode. Heck, Mike and JENNA had some of those moments, too! Harvey and Scottie NEVER had that! Are they just showing how bad Scottie is for Harvey and that he should ultimately be with Donna? There are other ways to do it other than making the girlfriend look as shrewy as possible while making the one he should be with look like a saint. Suits gave Jenna and Rachel pros and cons, we should have some of those for Scottie and Donna instead of giving Scottie nothing but con and giving Donna ALL THE PROS. I stated before, Donna is an amazing character, but she is not a goddess, She's human and she makes mistakes, This season was so good at showing Harvey's flaws (becoming a snit after losing to Darby, his blackmailing strategy not working against a professor, his nemesis being a guy who beat him 3 times in moot court, his trust issues with women not named Donna.) so give Donna some, too.

7.9 out of 10. An ok finale, if not a little bait-and-switchy (I honestly thought the feds were arresting Mike for being a fraud and not for the deal he made with Harold.) but this season has been nothing but bait and switch (Rachel exposing Mike and who got the heart attack are major examples) I was told Mike and Harvey are going to be together again for season 4. I just don't know if this will happen immediately or after a significant time jump. Also, now that Mike's gone, will Katrina take advantage and dump Louis to play for the big boss of the firm? (PLEASE give her something more to do!)
More+
Flag
Scottie was great when she was this anti-Harvey but still liked him. When they entered a relationship with no lies attached all that was lost. She was definitely wasted the last episodes she was in.
Flag
Haven't finished reading your entire post but I read up to the end of the first paragraph. The changes in Necessary Roughness came to be because it was a last chance to get ratings before they were cancelled for good, they were required to reboot the show in order to try and find a bigger audience. It was abrupt and unplanned and it jarred the existing viewers.

Suits is not doing this change out of desperation to find viewers, it is doing this as it is a very organic progression for the show and shakes things up so it's not always the same thing about worrying about Mikes secret all the time. I believe it was a legitimate creative decision that the writers prepared for and I have faith they can execute it well.
Flag
Well, I go to season 2 as an example of how the show COULD HAVE progressed. The first season was all about Mike keeping the secret but in the second season the secret was brought up only 5 times in 16 episodes (Jessica finding out and wanting Mike fired, Mike debating whether to tell Rachel the secret and deciding not to, Rachel confronting Mike as to why they can't be together after she deduced that he was in love with her after he helped with her eHarmony essay, Louis strapping Mike to a lie detector, and finally Mike telling Rachel about being a fraud at the finale.) Season 2 had the characters face so many problems with Hardman tht the secret kind of just went away because they were too busy with other things, whereas in season 3, as soon as Jessica learned that Rachel and Mike were a couple the entire post-Hessington series of episodes revolved around the secret and Mike being trapped. I would've liked it better if the show had focused more on Harvey and the cases of the week instead of Mike scrambling to make one lie after another to cover himself up. I felt like the latter half would've worked better if Louis, upon suspecting Mike of not going to Harvard, would send Katrina to help Mike for a few cases of the week. They would get close and Katrina would deduce on her own that he never went to Harvard, but would report to Louis that he was legit. The finale would have ended with Katrina confronting Mike and threatening to expose him unless he flat out quits or, in a different ending, tells Mike to break it off with Rachel (cause Katrina fell in love with Mike during their time together. If Katrina working well together with Mike was enough to make Rachel jealous, why didn't the writers follow that path instead of sidelining her?)

Season 3 had so many missed opportunities for some really good drama, (Mike and Louis happily working on cases together while Harvey gets his ass kicked legally because he's too blind with rage to think straight, a friendship between Louis and Nigel, Harvey actively conspiring to overthrow Jessica and succeeding, Darby having a more "master manipulator" role, Katrina being assigned to investigate Mike and falling for him, and WHERE THE HELL IS TREVOR?) and I feel it was a step down from the Hardman arc of season 2.
More +
Flag
It was kind of a mediocre finale. The prisoner's dilemma with Mike and Harold? Really? It had it's moments of funny. But it still felt off. We knew that Mike wasn't going to get put in prison because he is Mike, so that kind of pulls away from the drama. Now if they had brought Lola back this episode, with Rachel scrambling to hack into the Bar that might have been something. But they didn't, they pretended that Harold wouldn't have crumbled after 15 minutes in the interrogation room. I didn't buy that.

And with Mike leaving that means next season in order to keep the dynamic that the over arcing case is going to be around Mike's company. It might be more fun, it might shake up the dynamic a little bit. And I am really kind of waiting to see who Harvey's next associate is going to be. They could do a future jump and make Rachel a lawyer and his new Associate, but I am not sure that would work. Rachel is too much with Donna and I think she should be with Jessica as a mentor. Because that would be fun and it will be nice to see jessica have more of a hand in shaping someone.

But again, overall it was all right.
More+
Flag
I'm all here for Rachel-Jessica relationship!!! That would be helluva fun! so intense together! future mentor-protege hopefully :)
Flag
The overarching case storyline wasn't handled very well with Ava Hessington's case. The case itself was dull, and the personal clashes the firm had behind the scenes made everyone look like petty idiots. It was only "saved" by the fact that the outside force they teamed up with (Darby's firm) were run by complete monsters. I hope if there is an overarching plot the characters will be more balanced, because having a suave British person your characters didn't trust from the start actually be the villain is lazy storytelling.
Flag
Although we wouldn't want to discourage them from hiring more Game of Thrones actors would we.
Flag
Wow this was rally good. I was not expecting this season to end in such a strong yet satisfying way. Will be looking forward to the show to return.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members