A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E09: "Bad Faith" 

Pearson Whatever can never do anything with ease, can they? With Darby's firm revealed to be the actual Secret Society of Super Villians, Pearson Specter was granted the much sought-after Get Out of Jail Free card—but canceling the merger is proving to be a bit more complicated than just calling the whole thing off. Further complicating the great escape, work and play got all mashed together on Pearson Specter's side of the pond, and what should have been a straightforward plan of attack kept getting muddled by the wants of those individuals tasked with executing it. I wasn't surprised by Mike's dilemma. I was marginally surprised by Harvey's. Louis's just confuses me.

At first, I was mad. Oh look, another dig at how Louis is a joke. Another depiction of Louis as a crappy lawyer who can't be trusted to deliver when it really matters because he gets overly emotional about cats. Louis's story in "Bad Faith" could have been really great—and parts of it definitely were great—but the catalyst for his initial blunder was just so strangely sitcom-y. It was hard to get into at first. Even with Louis's established adoration of cats, and Nigel's cat in particular, the idea that the man would so quickly and thoroughly botch such a huge assignment seemed out of place on a "serious drama"—even one that's as occasionally lighthearted as Suits

That said, "Bad Faith" was pretty great overall. Scottie returned. Yay. Yay? Is that a "yay" situation? I'm rather ambivalent about Scottie, and after such adorbs Harvey/Donna action with the purse shopping, Harvey's other almost-a-thing thing was borderline unwelcome—but only borderline, because I'm not entirely sure where I stand on Donna/Harvey myself.

The big bombshell-that-wasn't-really-a-bombshell-if-you-watched-the-promo-last-week concerned the decision by Awful Ava to drop Harvey and Co. as her law firm of choice when pesky murder charges pop up from time to time. Everyone was sooooo shocked, but we need to think critically about this for a sec before we declare Ava to be any worse than she already is.

Sure, Pearson Darby Specter managed to get Ava's name cleared... but was it really a positive experience for anyone? Really? Ava's reputation and her company's name were still dragged through the mud. Her legal team spent most of their time working on her case by running around like headless chickens. The only reason she managed to escape jail time was that Darby stepped up and squealed on British Harvey. Sorry, Pearson Specter, but I wouldn't flaunt the Hessington Oil case as a selling point for other companies to hire you.

They barely won, and the victory had little to do with the actual expertise of the firm and its staff. If I was Ava, I'd probably shop for a new law firm too after that fiasco.

On The Mike and Rachel Domestic Hour, Mike floated the idea of moving into Sassy Dead Grandma's unused apartment and Rachel was okie-dokie with it until she found out Mike name-dropped her and their relationship to get Daddy Zane to cut Pearson Specter a check for Folsom Foods a quarter early. Mike is a moron. Now Rachel isn't shacking up with Mike just yet and, having been accepted to Stanford, she's threatening to move to California because that's how rational adults act. 

Whatever, Harvey and Louis had a bro moment and Mike was miffed about it and for once, I'm actually in my Suits happy place as we head into next week's summer finale. See you then! Kisses! Bye!

NOTES

– "The couple that wakes together..." "Bakes together?" 

– Will Harvey and the gang convince Ava to retain them? Should she?

– Rachel's not going to go to Stanford, right? Probably not?

– Just what is the general consensus on Harvey/Donna as an actual thing?

– What do you hope to see in next week's mid-season finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/20/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

139 Comments
Comments (138)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Alright... I wanted Rachel to go to Columbia as I wanted to see more interesting parts of her relationship with Mike but looks like this isn't happening as they are heading for a breakup... but yeah! I am loving every part of this series... Harvey just rocks!
Flag
Oh and I loved the eppy!
Flag
Am I shipping Donna and Harvey...Hell ya! Love Harvey and Donna. Those two are meant for each other it would be an injustice if they didn't get together. They don't have to take the dynamic away from them but they have to put them together. I'm sick of Scottie.
Flag
Oh how I hope Rachael goes to Stanford. I can't deal with her and Mike being a thing anymore. She (the character, not the actor) is the worst.
Flag
This Suits ep got a bit too convoluted for my taste with all that client's cash money being banded around and the Mike-Rachel domestic dispute just bored me to death but to save the day:
- Louis' letters to the cat & the moustachoed man portrait - farcical to be sure but it was just so funny esp. when confronted by Harvey & consoled by Tinkerbell lawyer
- Louis totally non-sexual romance with Tinkerbell lawyer - I love them together and hope they kick ass outside of cat lawsuits soon
- There is hope Rachel may go to Stanford (please please please - I can't watch those two act some sort of CW spin off while in Suits). Oh and Rachel's dad is REALLY a dick, no question about it.
- Ava may finally do something interesting kicking Harvey & co's ass?
Flag
Ok how can you recap this episode without quoting the funniest scene in Suits history! I thought the whole trial over the other guys cat thing was insane too, but the whole storyline was worth it for the scene where an enraged Harvey storms into Louise's office and confronts him about it. You can see Harvey is actually trying to understand how Louis could have fucked the thing up , and you realize just how little Harvey is even aware of the cat situation. Lines like "he tortured his cat!?" were so amazing. The cherry on top of the whole scene, the whole frickin' "Machata the Cat" plot thread, was when Harvey says "You lost your shit because he wouldn't read YOUR letters to HIS cat!?" -I was crying. I don't even laugh that hard at USA's more comedic shows like Psych. That scene was pure gold and painfully funny.
Flag
I lost it at that scene as well haha. HE TORTURED HIS CAT?!
Flag
I wonder how the actor playing Harvey managed to keep a straight face in that scene... He was SO about to lose it
Flag

THANK YOU!!I thought I was the only one who thought that scene was f***ing HILARIOUS!

I do agree the Louis-wuvs-wuvs-wuvs-his-cats trope has been beaten to death and they need to put it (and us) out of its misery, but that scene with him and Harvey was so damn funny I had to rewind it twice to hear the whole thing, I was laughing so hard!IMO this episode was great (the best so far this season) and although there were other funny moments (Katrina + Louis + LITT UP mug = Epic win!), the Harvey/Louis scene was a huge sign that maybe, just maybe we’ll get more of the season 1 and (most of) season 2 suits that we all loved.

Flag
I have to agree with some of the comments. You need to read the guy who reviews "Teen Wolf". Your reviews are really lame.
Flag
And your comment is full of rhetoric and about as helpful as gasoline on a fire. You should read a book about putting together cogent thoughts in at least a civilized fashion, rather than taking a page out of "Bowling Alley's Manual to Social Interaction!"
Flag
Each reviewer has their style. You could write a suits review like how price does his and we could tell you how LAME it is that you copied him.
Flag
As a regular member of tv.com community, i have to speak up about the articles/" so called reviews". from the time season three started the main theme of the articles have been the negative slope of the shoe as per the reviewer. But i think the reviews are more of like upsetting letter by a disgruntled girlfriend. We have seen in earlier season what harvey specter can do. he is portrayed as god, invincible which is a quite enchanting portrayal of course. anyone would fall in love with him. but season three showed us that even harvey specter can lose and lose in such a way to knocked down on the floor and wipe it. and this all messed up for all of us and esp. the reviewer. the image one had, is completely shattered and we started gnawing its layers.and the losing side of harvey in the show is reviewed as the downfall of the show. so folks dont you see, the focus is little skewed. i think our reviewer is in love with harvey and could not stand to see him lose and when he loses, we all know what happens then. so lets hope we see more of balanced reviews considering the human aspect of the show. replies are welcome.
More+
Flag
Okay. I wasn't going to reply because I didn't know what to say, but since you asked... the reason I don't know what to say is that your idea feels kind of foreign to me. I'm sure I've read all of her Suits reviews and I've never picked up on any inkling of that that I can recall.

Maybe with a slightly different approach your comment would make sense. If you said she was in love with the show in the first season and that she's become somewhat disillusioned with it as the show and its characters have become less likable you might have something,

You also lost me at balanced. You said she loved Harvey and then she's disgruntled. So that is two opposite extremes, which makes it balanced by definition. Is the word you are looking for "centered"? Maybe "moderated"? Or did you not mean balanced at all and you want her to fall in love with Harvey all over again? I'm confused by what you wrote, and I'm also confused that someone "liked" it because that implies they understood it.

So, I dunno, care to explain further?
More +
Flag
Serious question: What's with the reviewer's obsession with rationality? I keep seeing that word pop up in all of her reviews. I don't think people, in general, are inherently rational creatures so why should fictional television characters be any different? If everyone behaved correctly and with the presence of mind to not do anything petty or stupid, there wouldn't be a single entertaining show on television. I just don't understand why the reviewer holds these certain characters up to such a high standard. Especially when she clearly doesn't like them or thinks they're boring. It's the damnedest thing...

P.S. I love Abigail Spencer. And I love Scottie. I love Donna too but, since her and Harvey keep finding reasons to not get together, I'd much rather see him end up with Scottie. She's less judgmental of how Harvey is. I just wish he'd trust her and not immediately assume that she's always playing him.
Flag
I am certain that the word "rationality" means what you think it means. It also means at least 6 other things. Interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationality
Flag
The person who commented did not ask what the word "rationality" meant. The person asked what the reviewer's obsession with it was... and I think the question was more rhetorical.
Flag
No, but he should have. He seemed to think she was obsessed with an unimportant meaning of the word, when really she is asking reasonable questions any writer would because rational actions are a requirement of good writing.
Flag
There is nothing left for this show to do. It is going to be more of the same for the rest of the series as far as actual business maneuvers are concerned--only the clients will change. That leaves personal interactions among the lawyers, and, frankly, that is the stuff of a poor soap opera. Whatever this show had going for it is gone. And the cat stuff with Louis is just absolutely tiresome--not cute, not funny at all.
Flag
I completely agree - it's sort of sad because A) You rarely see the inside of a courtroom or even a conference room. It's always Person A walks into the office of Person B, says something really threatening and then walks out. All of a sudden they've won the case. and B) Their personal lives are nothing new. I could see the Mike/Rachel drama coming a mile away in Season 1 and their story is more teen drama-y than anything. Even the Harvey/Scottie deal is sort of a yawn (and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not let Harvey and Donna start a thing - they are the only ones with an interesting relationship... well - I like the Harvey and Jessica interactions too). I really liked Louis in Season 1 and 2, but even his character is not really doing much for me anymore.

And another note: All of the God-d***'s floating around every episode is more of a distraction than a puncher for the point. Everytime they say it, I think "that was unnecessary". Their writers can do better and should do better. The show has/had potential.
Flag
Ugh Rachel. Just. Go. Away. Go to Stanford, go anywhere. That 'fight' over the mug, what was that??? The sooner this ends the better.
Nothing about Luis and his bad ass moment at the end? I loved it. It was great to see Harvey acknowledge Luis, Luis thank him, and for them to work together. It felt like real progression for me. I always feel uncomfortable with Harvey's put downs of Luis, bullying is not nice to watch.
Really starting to like Katrina. Now her and Mike would be a much better match. Although I think enough with the office romances for a while. If Donna and Harvey are ever going to be a couple, I want it to happen in the last episode ever aired. He takes her away in his car as he is wont to do, and we are left with the fantasy of this fabulous couple and not the reality (alla Mike and Rachel).
I need the 'You Just Got Litt Up' mug!
Flag
http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/suits-you-just-got-litt-up-mug/detail.php?p=465806&v=usa_suits
Flag
Excellent! :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
– What do you hope to see in next week's mid-season finale?

The end of, or the beginning of the end of, the Ava and her oil company story arc. I'm tired of her and the story line.
Flag
Mike and Rachel just yuck. They were the worst part of the episode (season/ show). The writers even managed to make Center Stage fun and witty with Louis--which was great: the mug, the ballerina line, the faith she had in people doing the right thing. Awesome. And Louis needed a sidekick. Plus, I might have teared up when Harvey gave him his props and then took him with.
Harvey stepped up and said stop going for the pain, just end it. The purse shopping was the some of the great back and forth that should SHOULD be this show's main course. That being said, I don't want Harvey and Donna together. Then people would expect him to be sweet and they couldn't banter and surprise and one-up each other all the time. It would ruin the dynamic. I'm not even sure I liked them bringing anything sexual into it...no, I'm sure I didn't. Oh well, I can put up with it. But really Mike and Rachel are dragging us down. I mean does anyone really care about Mike going to law school or not? No. And he is a mean boyfriend, and Rachel is obnoxious.
Flag
About a thousand years ago there was a show called Hart to Hart with Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers. They were a married couple who solved mysteries. The thing was that the show never put serious obstacles between them. They were first and always loyal to each other. There were no other flirtations or threats of going to Stanford or anything like that. And people loved it. The show was a hit. It can be done. They could craft a sweet romance, without it's being sappy, present the two as a couple, and then give them as a unit things to fight against. It's probably harder to do than to manufacture drama over coffee cups and crap, but it would be an interesting and unique approach. One could argue that the two have been an ersatz couple long enough to get the petty drama of learning to be together out of the way. I think it could work.

Flag
I definitely agree that we should be able to show happy couples without manufactured drama. The problem is when a dynamic is built the way Harvey and Donna's is, putting them into a happy emotionally supportive relationship without power struggles etc, would ruin it. Mike and Rachel could certainly be in a happy relationship, instead of one that makes me like both of them less.
Flag
Umm, agree to disagree. I think they could make Harvey and Donna that kind of couple. I think the power dynamic wouldn't be a factor once they got together, though she might not be able to be his assistant anymore. The thing about Mike and Rachel is that neither is interesting by themselves, and they are no more interesting together. I really could not possibly care less if they both left the show tomorrow. The show is Harvey, Louis, Jessica, and Donna.
Flag
To Michelle, below me
Hello down there! I'm glad the show is still out there. It was a glamorized 80's kind of show, but the pair of them were strong together, totally believable. It was a good show.
Flag
I watch Hart to Hart - what a great show! Another one - with more flirtatious banter was Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Mind you - Scarecrow was a secret agent and was always saving the damsel, Mrs. King, but in the later seasons, their relationship grew and they were stable. You are right about the ability to see Harvey and Donna together. I even think she could continue to be his assistant. She would have his back just like she does now and they can both keep their wits. Every now and then she would do something to save his behind or give him a good piece of advice... You are right that this sort of relationship takes more effort to write, but it can also make the personal lives of the main characters (which are very predictable now) less of a focus and give the writers an opportunity show their talents in the firm's cases. They are in corporate law, after all. There should be a million and one lawsuits they can muster up from real life alone! :)
Flag
"...she's threatening to move to California because that's how rational adults act."

Translated into Best Case Scenario: "Please please please let this mean the writers are clued in and this is a permanent bon voyage to one of the worst characters to have been written."

Not likely, as it would be too sudden of a departure for something that existed since the beginning, but a guy can dream, can't he?
Flag
OK Does anyone notice the fact that in next week's episode Donna and Jessica will speak for the first time ???
Flag
In 2x09 Donna and Jessica famously discuss Louis's attire.
Jessica: How did the suit look?
Donna: Dated.
Jessica: Thank you.
Flag
You would be incorrect...as In season 1 episode 11. Donna came in to Jessica`s office and gave her documents relating to Cameron Dennis`s burying of evidence...
Flag
Also it was Jessica who fired her.
Flag
Oh, and I'm anti-Donna/Harvey just now. He isn't good enough for her yet.
Flag
She goes to Stanford for the duration of the hiatus. Too well timed to be anything else.
Flag
Yeah, that's probably the big (yawn) cliffhanger.
Flag
Didn't she get into Columbia last week? Problem solved unless you are a television show looking for a reason to break up the couple the writers think viewers care about. The writers are wrong as far as I'm concerned. I don't really like Mike. He needs to leave the show until his hair grows out. Rachel is only really likeable when she's with Louis. They have a nice friendly chemistry.
I thought the thing about Louis losing his ever-loving mind over that cat has been wildly overblown. He's had some time away, he's fostering new cats. He should have moved on by now. It was a cheap ploy to set up a situation where they couldn't go after clients, and it was a stupid ploy.
I did love Donna and her Hermes visit. I hope she got two handbags. The show needs to concentrate on the couple with real sparks flying between them. I haven't been for that previously, but if the best they can do is Mike and Rachel, of God help us, Harvey and Scotty, they need to put the gas on the Harvey/Donna relationship ASAP.
Seeing Sassy Grandma's apartment made me realize how very much she is needed in that show.
More+
Flag
"He's a badass." Finally someone said it.
Flag
I had the same feeling of having recovered the good way of Suits today. Quite a lot of content in this episode!

I think they will end the season with Rachel leaving for Stanford most likely... and let us waiting to see if she shows up next season or not, or how... Or eventually she can get pregnant and won't be able to do college at this point. I rather get the leaving for Sanford, though.

Donna and Harvey getting together would be the end of this.
Flag
Time skip is a logical idea.
Flag
yep, that is what I had in mind - maybe the start next season after some time has passed... But they would need more reasons than just Rachel for that, so i don't know...
Flag
Daniel and Darby both got kicked out of the same firm and they want revenge. Loopholes are invented and Jessica goes to war.
Flag
Rachel doesn't care about words that start with s and end with y.
Flag
? Like sandy, salty, sugary, silently, softly,,,
Flag
I don't know; I'm responding to reefer. sadly, Sunday, Saturday, stiffly, sultry....
Flag
I was right about Walter telling Jesse that he watched his girlfriend die and I have to be right about Daniel Hardman coming back! The description of the last episode says "An old nemesis returns." Who is older than Daniel Hardman?
Flag
What does that have to do with beginning with S and ending with Y?
Flag
shitty? slutty? soapy? I'm confused. What game are we playing?
Flag
I just have a gut feeling after watching next week's promo that Mike & Rachel do end their relationship (or at let have a long-distance relationship which ends eventually if she moves to California), especially once Jessica is involved. Then the writers would probably end up bringing Katrina as Mike's new love interest after (or even during) Rachel..
Just my prediction.. Seems logical, otherwise Katrina's on-screen appearances seem kinda useless, except of "Litting" up Louis..
Flag
Katrina is good for Louis! Mike can't handle her.
Flag
I so agree - Louis+Katrina are so badass nerdy together!
Flag
There really is no Harvey/Donna thing. Donna wants there to be something and Harvey doesn't. He appreciates her enough to buy her handbags, but what she does for him at work is why Harvey needs her.
Flag
sadly, I agree
Flag
The relationship between Mike and Rachel just doesn't work. Rachel is a control freak and Mike is immature. They worked well as friends, but not as lovers. (And I'm confused about next week's promo: why should Jessica care so much about their relationship?) The overall episode was pretty meh. I liked the Harvey/Louis moments and Mike's "Is he mad at me?". But otherwise, the show is still stuck at the same point, with the same boring case.
Flag
I haven't seen the promo but Jessica is probably worried about Rachel knowing Mikes secret.
Flag
I hadn't thought of that, you're right.
Flag
There may be a workplace rule about office dating
Flag
How can you be concerned with such a thing when you are in the middle of dissolving a merge and you employ a guy without a diploma?
Flag
Because people share secrets they shouldn't over pillow talk... Donna's affair with Stephen nearly cost them the Ava case badly so Jessica would be right to be against any office romances at this point...
Flag
When you can't handle the big things, you over manage the small. It's the unwritten rule of every middle to high level manager.
Flag
With Mikes behavior/attitude in this episode (plus the trailer for next week), i think Rachel will be leaving for law school - which is a good thing.
Their relationship hasnt really gone anywhere this season, it just existed with no affect on the storyline.
I think Rachel leaving and then coming back under Louis' mentorship would be good
Flag
Except she cannot work for Pearson Spector Litt if she goes to Stanford.
Flag
I wonder if they do have her go if she'll be gone for the time it takes her to become a lawyer or not. They would have to time jump the show for her to come at the start of next season to be a lawyer. I figure they won't bother and just keep her character where it is.
Flag
I know what you mean, but if she doesnt go to law school then that entire plot line has been pointless
Flag
I was with your review entirely right up until the bit about this episode being pretty great overall. Every single aspect of this episode for me felt like trappings in search of a core, moments that are meant to punch up a big story but here it was without a really big story at the center. We barely got to talk with or face the problem of the week, instead it was our characters merely talking to each other about it, talking and analyzing and plotting to out-maneuver and blah blah blah. Without seeing it what they were up against, without seeing more than Scottie (which is really annoying because every time it's the exact same thing with her and Harvey), it just seemed hollow and dull for the most part.

As for Ava, she's a fool and will get crushed under the boot of Pearson Someguy. She is going to lose her malpractice claim hard when it's revealed that she lied and bribed. But I'm sure in the name of melodrama it won't be that easy.

- Mike's "... bakes together?" is exactly what I was thinking, and I don't even smoke! Also, Rachel's big "naked in underwear" reveal was a snore, she's not that hot under her clothes, don't bother with salacious TV unless it's something notable, otherwise you're just wasting the actor's time and ours.

- Why does Harvey need to convince Ava of anything other than dropping her suit? How did Ava get Hessington Oil to fire them in the first place, seeing as she was ousted for being a crappy CEO?

- Rachel's clearly going to NY's Columbia University (my grandmother's alma mater) because that's how tv works.

- Harvey and Donna cannot be a thing, the fact that they screwed once before already poisons that relationship, and their cute flirting is now tainted. You make them a couple and you negate both characters.

- I have no opinion about next week except that the Hardman will probably come storming back, twirling his mustache.
More+
Flag
PS - Meghan Markle is a very pretty gal and has a lovely figure, I don't mean to suggest otherwise, just not "hey, let's have her character strip down to underwear for the camera" type of thing, it's demeaning for her and not "WOW" enough to steal ratings attention.
Flag
I didn't realize that was supposed to be a big deal. Wasn't even worth the screen time.
Flag
I liked the episode, it finally escaped the Ava case, to which they have to pull us back in next week. It was cool to see lawyers thinking the best way to make profit and their duels. I couldn't believe Louis acted so stupidly at first. No lawyer would ever react this way, if he/she respected themselves as a lawyer. And since we have seen before that Louis is a great lawyer it was even worse. I felt so sorry for him throughout the episode, and was so glad to see Harvey's reaction towards him (the 2nd). Harvey and Scottie, well, I wouldn't trust the one if I were the other. It doesn't matter if you know the other person, or not, it's business. And even though calling was a good idea, would she not have lied if she had done it? And some boring Mike-Rachel stuff.
-Stays together, and Mike got so extremely angry, because Rachel has rules for her own house? And just two??
- While it makes sense for Ava to fire them, a lawsuit is too much. And we are once again dragged into the Ava case...
-Rachel should do whatever she wants, without considering Mike. Being a lawyer has always been her dream. To me, it makes more sense for her to go to Columbia. Still, they want to add suspense so there was Stanford. I don't think they will send her to Stanford, how are they going to shoot?
-Yeah, there is no general consensus on Harvey/Donna. I am personally very confused on whether I want them together or not. Loved the fact that Harvey tried to cheer her up. But did he seriously rubbed her wrong choice on her face??? Anyway, lately all their scenes seem to me incomplete.
- I just don't want the show to go to the Hardman route once more.

More+
Flag
What's interesting about this show, at this point, is that it practically puts to the test the theory that "when shit happens, that's when you find out who your real friends are".. Relationships are tested in hard times.

So what we are seeing here are in a way, how more and more the characters are becoming truer to themselves as these issues arises.

There is little trust between lawyers and you get to actually see it.

It's all about who is holding the bigger stick.

Now, in the case of Harvey, clearly obvious how he 'cares' but he acts like a 'dick' on purpose. No doubt. He really does try to be fair. But in the end, his problem is that he can't be in a position of weakness. Won't admit it. He's his own worse enemy in that regard.

Mike is totally shaping itself to be mini-Harvey, not looking at himself in a mirror and seeing how lucky he is getting a girl like Rachel and being able to live his dream as a lawyer, considering his checkered past. I think at some point, someone will have to remind him not to forget who he is and what he stands for. Right now, especially when he tells Rachel (in the next episode, if she goes, it's over) well, that's just plain cruel.

Jessica is finally showing her true colors. You can tell she's juggling to keep supremacy and she's being quite the phony in many ways. It's all about control for her and in these trying times, she's being tested and she's losing.

Lewis is a surprisingly interesting character in that, he's definitively a bore and a nuisance, but, you can tell that he's screaming to have a 'bro' . As much as he hates to admit it, he's really looking up to Harvey and has a need to be accepted which literally screams at you from the other side of the TV screen.

Now Katrina is up to something, but I suspect that we won't see it until it's too late. She had a good thing at the DA's office and she's clearly not getting what she wants yet, she's been pegged down harshly (but quite justified). She had the illusion that she was going to be Harvey's pet project, but didn't count on the loyalty factor between Harvey and Mike. You have to wonder when the shoe will be dropping with her. Lewis is a stepping stone, that's all we know here. Wonder if they will make him realize that (the writers that is)

Rachel, she's got power in this show, if the writers chooses to use it. First of all, she knows Mike's secrets and now that Mike dropped her name as part of a negotiation ploy to get her Dad to accept his terms, she's mad. But I suspect, that eventually, she will use that. She's a wildcard.

Donna is a powerhouse, she's the typical redhead with a sassy and spunky attitude, blessed with lots of wisdom and a keen sense of observation. You know that at some point, something between her and Harvey has to happen, because I think that eventually, they will both come to realize that this brother/sister thing, isn't going nowhere. They both can't get into anything serious with anyone because deep down, they love each other. Regardless of the bull fertilizer that Donna spews about how she cares for Harvey like a brother and vice-versa. (of course, the writers could prove me wrong)

More+
Flag
Mike and Rachel don't gel as a personal relationship they are rarely on the same page.
Flag
True, kinda wonder if at some point Katrina will get a whiff of this and try to muscle in and get Mike for herself, if only to use him as a pawn.
Flag
I'd rather not see Katrina go for Mike. One of the reasons I like her character is someone that Mike has to contend with. Remember Harvey. had to save Mike from her.
Flag
"Litt up? It should say, 'Shit up!'"
Flag
That would be messy
Flag
I want Mike and Katerina to become a thing, Rachel should go to Stabford
Flag
Harvey Specter: still a dick.

Also, welcome back, Katrina! How I missed you...
Flag
Say what you like about her, she was really nice to Louis last night.
Flag
Oh, for once, I wasn't being sarcastic. I think Katrina is awesome. The producers should give Meghan Markle the boot and promote Amanda Schull to series regular.
Flag
My thoughts: What the F%CK, Suits? Each character has flaws (Louis has cat issues, Jessica is an meglomaniac, Harvey has pride the size of Jupiter, Mike is... well, Mike) but this episode cranked those flaws up to 11. It seems like everyone EXCEPT Katrina was holding the idiot ball this episode.

Lets start with the all-knowing Jessica- I personally thought it was a mistake to kick Darby out in the first place, given that he really wasn't a bad guy compared to her last partner. But Jessica's first plan was to flat out steal clients, something that she said was the most horrid thing imaginable back when Allison Holt was stealing them in season 2. Yet here she was, ready to do the exact thing she condemned last season, just to stick it to the guy WHO SAVED HER BUTT LAST SEASON! I'm actually glad the first tactic didn't work, because it would've proven that the wise Jessica from season 1 was gone forever and we have this mean-spirited, vindictive, power-hungry Jessica in her place.

Louis- Again, he's the most likable character on the show, but DEAR GOD let go of the cat already. He seriously wrote letters to her? You think the cat cares? I said last time that if Louis truly wanted a cat, he should just go to the animal shelter and get one. Or two. Heck, Louis is rich, so he could adopt the entire cat wing of the shelter if he wanted to and still be able to treat every one of them like royalty. But nope, he's still pining over a cat that didn't belong to him in the first place, which Nigel cruelly exploited to make Louis lose his temper and screw up Jessica's evil plan. I could understand if Nigel, say, started dating Sheila, Louis's ex, and rubbed it in his face... BUT IT'S A STUPID CAT! THAT DIDN'T EVEN BELONG TO HIM!

Harvey- Harvey was probably the stupidest one in this episode. I like Scottie, and I really trusted her when she came to him to ask for the Folsom Foods check to not be counted. Harvey's decision to NOT call her to ask her why his client fired him and go straight to getting back at her wasn't just dumb, it was insane. DONNA was able to see this as a stupid move and she called him out on it. Scottie may have only had a total of 5 appearances on the show, but she evolved from her season 1 self and, after confessing how she really felt about Harvey, has been nothing but honest. She got fired helping Harvey try to stop the Person-Darby merger. Harvey should've known he could trust her on her word now that her true feelings were out in the open, instead of merely trying to 1 up him to impress him like she did in season 1.

Also, I question Harvey's decision to go handbag shopping with Donna at the beginning. I don't know if he was just a benevolent boss trying to cheer her up or if that was a romantic gesture, but it jut seemed so... out of place.

Rachel- Once again, after actually doing stuff the last two episodes, she's right back to merely being the eye candy/overly complicated romantic interest for Mike. All her scenes were about relationship stuff, and it just irks me that after getting character development for two episodes and showing that she could not only be a great lawyer but potentially Louis's professional soul mate (given the fact that she put Louis's kitty obsession in check twice to let him make rational decisions, which even Katrina couldn't do) she goes right back to the relationship crap we've been enduring for the past 6 episodes. And the reveal at the end that she got into Stanford just seems like a set up to have Mike have angry revenge sex with Katrina in the mid-season finale. Rachel got into Colombia. Of course she's gonna choose going there to be with Mike over Stanford... unless she finds him in bed with another blond.

As for Mike... he's always been an idiot, but this episode and what I saw in the previews for next episode just makes him seem cruel. Robert Zane is actually a pretty nice guy, and I think it was a low blow to put a personal touch on a professional dispute. I also find it troubling that Harvey was all for it, and even Mr. Zane himself seemed impressed by his gall.

Overall this was a terrible episode of Suits, made only watchable by the fact that Katrina is back and she (and to a lesser extent Donna) is the only one on the show that can actually make a decision based completely on facts and not the personal crap that each character has for their British counterparts.
More+
Flag
When faulting Mike don't forget his bad haircut
Flag
and small tie ;)
Flag
He got 20 percent off.
Flag
agree on most what you say, but first of all to MaryAnn, this was also not your best review to be honest, but keep up the good work anyway!

When Louis got the ball so to say, I was already really thinking: this guy needs a victory, and that is what this episode was also about, but it could have been better. Agree with MaryAnn, losing his temper on the cat is not what a lawyer of his stature would do or let happen. Storywise it would have been better as he did his job, then Harvey fucked up with Scottie, and then Louis coming to the rescue, and would have gotten the real appreciation by Harvey.

Rachel, well, she has certainly some issues with telling things straight forward, and it always backfires in a way. I think she has some attachment-issues, push and pull-stuff. They advice she gives Louis she should apply to herself, would make her a more round character and less cardboard.

Jessica is already annoying me since the start, and today it got even worse, the look on her face, the way she came so close on to Louis, it was all a bit too much and - sorry to say - very over- and bad-acted by Gina Torres.

Harvey seems to be losing his edge, did again some terrible character-judgement on Scottie, and wondering where to he is developing, as he has not developed at all as a character since the beginning of the show.

Bit worried to see that the Ava Hessington case is coming back, which will mean a huge cliffhanger for the midseason finale, but it's dragging, it's boring, the mind-games are not well played out scriptwise and in terms of storytelling, so something has to step up in the 2nd half of the season, as I would find it terrible to see this show go down the drain.
More +
Flag
*megalomaniac
Flag
Louis and Katerina scenes were spectacular. And I can not wait for Katerina and Mike to become a thing. Also horrible that Ava is back. I though we were done with that.
Flag
Same here about mike and katherine
Flag
Louis and that damn cat, even Harvey is like WTH!! The Suits train is off the rails when Katrina is the good guy.What Mike did to Rachel's dad is just business. However, what he said to Rachel in the preview for next week's episode makes him come off as a douche. We need to start a bring back Jenny campaign!
Flag
Litt-tastic! Best episode of this season so far. They've found their groove again.
Flag
Staff
Yes! So excited! And excited about being excited!
Flag
Louis's scenes were awesome... but the scene that made me laugh the most???

I need to take a step back... the "What to Watch Tonight" article yesterday talked about suits and then the editor said something snarky "Also, too, something about Mike and Rachel’s relationship, I guess." I read it right before the show aired.

So early on when they were talking about him drinking coconut water I honestly just completely lost my s**t and laughed my arse off. Because honestly, we keep bouncing from these cool to Michael's "relationship" scenes... which is just about the only thing they have him doing lately. And this was just a super lame conversation they were having.
Flag
The episode that finally picks up season 3. Everything was finally rolling!
Flag
Somebody is going to have to explain their little plot to me. I get that Louis made a mistake so they can't go after the new clients that were brought in while the firms were merged, but I don't understand the whole making-existing-clients-pay thing, nor do I know what Louis and then Louis and Harvey were doing. I admit I'm dumb.
Flag
Unfortunately, I understood everything except the reasoning behind what they were trying to do. Because though I work for a large corporation, stuff like this isn't in my wheel-house so they probably should have had an explanation to one of the Junior Associates that the audience could listen in on.

My understanding of it was:
- Louis's job was to keep negotiations going but to NOT lock in the client list: who served whom. So the split might be fair but Harvey could say "Haha we have all your clients " or at least their biggest one
- Louis messed up and the client list was locked: Harvey couldn't steal any of their clients AND it was looking like a fair split which was not in their favor.
- When they merged, they pooled their assets and now that they're separating it's divided up by based on how much business each side brought in by that point. The higher % of business, the higher % of the money.
- So Harvey had Mike get one of their clients to pay them early, so instead of getting a really big check in a year they got a decently-big check TODAY and say "See, we've brought in more money at the moment so the scale is in our favor."
- But Harvey was guilted into dropping that strategy because honestly it was a jerk thing to do AND if they did it they would have a major major enemy forever.
- So Harvey and Jessica decided "Fine, we'll actually do a fair split and just get it over with."
- Then the other side did something similar to Harvey's previous plans, so now THEY had the bigger piece of the pie. Harvey felt betrayed, and now he was going to be out a bunch of money.
- So then Louis (and eventually Harvey) got an existing client that was technically "kind of" on the books because they now owned Hessington Oil, to "upgrade" their status to be paying them a butt-load of money up front.
- So now Jessica and Harvey had, at that moment, a much larger percentage of the business and thus would get a larger percentage of the split.
- But now the opposing side decided since their piece of the pie would be SOOO small and because they felt soooo betrayed they are going to block and prevent the separation.
- Enter Jessica: they have bigger fish to fry. They're all getting sued.
More +
Flag
I had the gist of it but this makes everything clearer. Thanks.
Flag
THANK you. Now would it hurt them to have explained it?
Flag
Flag
Flag
Flag
Dissolving a merger (here 51-49 for Darby) will have to split the assets according to how much each part brought incomes in at the time of the merger (before and during) the one with more incomes will have the bigger share. Here at the present state of the episode Darby was winning unless they made Folsom pay the money owed to them. Harvey being to nice to his ex he dismiss the incomes that mike got so difficulies to get. Then they got fired by Hassington oil (by the president) but got hired by the conglomerate that is the main shareholder of Hassington and they were in business with them before the agreement of dissolving the merger so they can get it.

Louis just tried to get that conglomerate but his name is not sufficient even if he convinced the Banker/Lawyer that he is a badass, he needed the name of Harvey
Flag
Thank you. I just couldn't figure it out. I appreciate both you and Kanniball helping me. I never really worked in business, so I just couldn't get it.
Flag
Loved this episode from beginning to end. Louis had me rolling with some of his lines, especially "This is Littastic!" LOL!!!! I also loved it when Katrina (surprisingly, I missed her) gave him that "You just got Litt up" mug. Thanks to her, Louis was funny and a bad ass, even though he definitely did drop the ball in the beginning. Those two together are simply a great team, probably rivaling Harvey and Mike!!! Workwise, they just get along so well.

Oh, of course I really loved it when Harvey FINALLY gave Louis props for being a good lawyer and that he respected him. Knowing Harvey, it probably sounded like a ploy telling him that, but I honestly believe he meant every word. Seeing those two face Gianopolis together was awesome!! Even Jessica showed him a lot of respect. Now, I've always been on her side, but have questioned her motives at times. She definitely redeemed her character a lot this episode for me; and of course, she was lookin SMOKIN in those dresses!!

I'm a fan of Mike and Rachel being together, but Rachel seemed real petty to me getting mad at Mike for using their relationship against her father. Like she doesn't know this is how the game is played between lawyers?!! Heck, her Dad respected the move; and she wants to be a lawye?!! She needs to grow a stronger backbone and fast. I don't care if Donna agreed with her, Rachel got this one wrong.

Speaking of wrong, I'll admit I figured Scotty wrong given she thinks like Harvey does. The Hessington Oil move seemed like something Harvey would do, and up until Jessica vindicated her, I truly believed she stabbed him in the back. I was actually surprised Donna was giving her the beneifit of the doubt. By the way, good save by Harvey after he threw Donna's "choice of men" in her face.

As for Ava suing Pearson Darby Specter for malpractice, I was shocked when I heard it, but not that shocked. The woman really likes to play the blame game too much, even after they pulled the miracle of finding the real murderer, and ultimately getting her acquitted. Taking responsibility for her own actions or overreactions is something she just is incapable of doing.
More+
Flag
In order for Rachel to grow they really need to separate her and Mike. The same can be said about Mike.
Flag
I also cheered inside when Louis finally got a pat on the back... he'd been waiting for validation for Harvey for a while and this put his little recorded "I respect you" from Season 1 to shame. It was great.

The ONLY thing that soured it for me... was because Jessica told Harvey that story earlier. How when she became a named partner she told her previous enemy / rival how she respected and valued him and he was so grateful he never voted against her in the future.

So part of me stopped and said: Oh man, is Harvey just saying that to Louis to win his favor? I imagine not, but part of me still thinks it and that keeps it from being a truly epic win for Louis.
Flag
Who cares if that was a win for Louis? The real question that was ruined: was it character growth for Harvey? Side note: it should go without saying that it was a hellbeast moment for Jessica.
Flag
But that's the problem... WAS it character growth for Harvey.

Either he really meant what he said: that he respected Louis

OR... he was just doing what Jessica had described... praising someone he'd just had a big fight with so that person would be on his side to the end of time like a loyal puppy.
Flag
Louis for president!! I laugh so hard in most of his scenes it almost makes me want to type 'lol'. That plus him and Harvey being pals made this one of my fav episodes. Didn't really care about the 'shock' suing reveal at the end. One gripe; could USA PLEASE stop jumping straight into scenes from next weeks episode! I scramble for the remote every time...
Flag
Hmm, Louis being blindsided by a cat? Geez. What's next? Ava suing the firm that got her outta jail? ;)
Flag
"The badger is a noble and fearsome creature..."

Entertaining episode. More Louis being Louis.
Flag
Gonna set myself up for ridicule and admit that Louis doing Louisisms is currently my favourite thing about this show!
Flag
I agree. I would watch this show if the main characters were Louis and Katerina, rather then mike and Harvey
Flag
Well per usual the last two minutes didn't record so I can't comment on probably a pivotal part of the episode, but I loved everything I saw before that. Harvey giving credit to Litt (even though it was still for his personal gain in future dealings) was great to see. Donna is still amazing so thanks for showing her even if it was for 3 total minutes. Jessica is starting to be likable again so plus one on that. Mike and Rachel, good god I am so over them, but even more so I hate how naive he was and now she is. How has she not learned by now that lawyers use everything at their disposal to win? Mike didn't even blackmail anyone, he just said that he doubt his daughter would like what he was doing. So basically Mike pointed out her dad's flaw and so that makes Mike the bad guy? I don't get it.
*Suits writers/ director - Show me Donna and Harvey's shopping trip!! I bet they got Litt Up!
Flag
I personally thought the episode was Littastic, right up until that part at the end where Ava sued, for malpractice, a lawfirm that made her murder charges go away. Then I saw the episode preview and I was confused as all hell.

But anyway, good on them for making Louis and Katrina seem more like human beings, shame on Mike for using Rachel to leverage her dad, sucks to be Harvey since now Scottie hates him again, and WHY THE HELL MUST EVERYONE WHISPER IN THE COLD OPENING, FOLLOWED IMMEDIATELY BY A MILLION DECIBEL THEME SONG?
Flag
Agreed on the music - SO F-ING ANNOYING that I tend to mute it every time (after the initial squeal)
Flag
That song scares the hell out of me every single time.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members