A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E01: "The Arrangement"

The last time we saw Mike Ross, he was banging Rachel in the copy room and the interwebs collectively groaned because "Seriously? This shit again?"

Oh yes. Again. And again. 

"The Arrangement" picked up two days after the events of "War" and despite essentially winning at life at the end of Suits' Season 2 finale, Mike was plagued with nightmares that started out pleasant enough—with Harvey randomly declaring Mike a partner because he's so OMG AWESOME—and then quickly ended with Mikey-poo getting arrested after Rachel busted into the soooooper-secret partners meeting to tattle on him about that tiny little not-actually-having-a-law-degree thing. Pesky plot point, that. 

I'd sympathize more if Mike hadn't spent most of Season 2 making me hate him just a little more with every episode. At this point, I'm mainly here for Donna and Louis. OH, and Nigel. He's just a sad, bitter, dude who's out to rule over those employees who hurt his fee-fees with a draconian fist. Raspberry granola bars? Uniball pens? NO. FEEL MY EPIC PAIN. 

Yeah, so Nigel and I just get each other. <3

The Darby-Pearson—or Pearson-Darby, depending on Darby's mood, apparently—merger provided the backdrop to Harvey being Harvey and Jessica desperately trying to be BFFs with Mike. Confirming the sentiment that over at the former Pearson-Hardman, Harvey and Jessica are mommy and daddy, and mommy and daddy don't really like each other all that much these days, Jessica gave Mike a new office and compared it to the car her mother gave her when her parents split. In the end, Mike turned it down in an attempt to stop pissing everyone off—everyone being Harvey and Rachel—and asked Jessica if she would have given the car back if it meant her parents would get back together. Jessica said the question didn't matter because she didn't have that opportunity. IDK about you, but I was slightly expecting her to say that she wouldn't have passed on the wheels and I still feel like, deep down inside, that's how Jessica truly feels, because Jessica Pearson is cold and it's awesome. 

Unfortunately, Mike's eagerness to keep the fam together might have been in vain, because Harvey—stifled under that irritating non-compete clause, unhappy with the new merger, and stuck with a seemingly impossible-to-win case—has declared war on Jessica, allying himself with Darby in an attempt to oust her from power. He's in full-on rockstar mode once again, and it's fun, though I'm stuck here in the corner with Mike in that I just want mommy and daddy to stop fighting. STOPPPP, YOU GUYSSSS!

So I guess those Game of Suits promos that USA has been running all week are a pretty accurate portrayal of what we have to look forward to this season: backstabbing and betrayal for everyone! Also: romance—though I'd much rather Rachel had a purpose other than being Mike's bunk buddy/conscience. We came so close to that last season, Suits! So close!

For me, "The Arrangement" lacked some of the shock and excitement of the game-changing Season 2 opener, but it was by no means a bad start to the season. The Jessica vs. Harvey conflict has been building for some time, and to finally be diving into it completely is exciting, particularly with the added weight that the firm's traumatic experience with Hardman will bring. 

We know that Jessica and Harvey have some sort of history, that Harvey is largely in the position that he's in because of Jessica's previous interest in him and the potential she once saw. At one time, they were great allies, which makes their current conflict seem that much weightier and, to an extent, tragic. 

Harvey and Jessica's previous friendship also makes their conflict intensely personal in the sense that they each have intimate knowledge of the other's life, and given that part of their divide stems from personal hurt as much as it's rooted in public business disagreements, who knows how deeply Jessica and Harvey may be willing to cut each other in order to come out on top? 

I think this is gonna get messy, kids—and I can't wait! 

NOTES

– I see Mike's point, that in a firm like Darby-Pearson, everyone has their credentials enshrined in their offices, but even still, hanging up your fake degree is pretty brazen, bro. 

– Rachel had such an awesome moment in her verbal smackdown of Mike, pointing out that he gets all the glory for a forged piece of paper while she's been trying for years to earn it on her own... and then they had sex and ruined it.

– JUST SAY NO to creepy foreplay invoking your co-workers.  

– I miss Sassy Grandma. :(

– Hitler Louis was so random that I'm not sure that it was actually funny. Donna's methods of torture normally seem way more sophisticated and delightfully underhanded than that. 

– Scotty: I kind of wish a woman would turn a man down on this show and actually mean it. You know, other than Donna/Louis. 

– I'm really excited for Nigel vs. Louis and Jessica vs. Harvey. What are you looking forward to most this season?  

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/20/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 10PM

Season 6 : Episode 3

100 Comments
Comments (100)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finally got to watch this, big letdown. There's a lot of sound and fury as everybody backstabs, but nothing seems to be actively doing anything for the common good, the case still doesn't seem to matter, and Mike and Rachel are still woefully boring to watch.
Flag
I still like the show. But last season and the 1st episode of Season 3 have too many interactions that end with a tit for tat - clash or threat tone - do this or else! They're working too hard to make Jessica a man sometimes. I completely agree with your comments about Rachel / Mike and sex after she points out that hanging his fake diploma is all wrong. Also agree with the random Hitler segment.
Flag
Rachel's only happy when she's pouting!
Flag
I'm not sure if I was the only one getting cold shivers from this episode. The first ten minutes of watching I was like "man this season is gonna be so depressing!". I still can't really figure out why, but it felt so much darker, and so sad. Harvey's and Mike's anti-bromance, the whole Pearson-Darby shit and oh did i mention that Rachel is starting to PISS ME OFF?! She used to be one of my favorite characters but I just don't like the idea of Rike or Machel or whatever you prefer to call them. My hopes for this season are beyond high, and I'm afraid I'll be let down.. Instead of watching (as you all mentioned below) all about Mike being a fraud and not having a degree, I wanna see Mike Ross the genius - the kind of genius we saw in the first episode and also the first season? Yeah, I don't want to see some shit about him being nervous all the time of getting caught and constantly having to declare his love for Rachel. NO thanks. And about the Jessica/Harvey war, I actually think it's going to be very interesting - I just hope Harvey will forgive Mike soon enough to realize that they're the ultimate brothers in crime, well.. court. :)
More+
Flag
I'm not much of a swearer, however, I may just let some swear words slip because...this shit. Jessica and Harvey ARE Mommy and Daddy, and what can I say, the kids don't like it when mommy and daddy fight. THIS kid in particular. I'm a hardcore, diehard Harvey and Jessica fan, as individuals and as the kickass dynamic duo that they are when they have their shit together and are just being glorious with their awesome, badass, inexplicable "thing" What the hell is their thing? There are no words for their thing, which is why their relationship is probably one of the most intriguing ones on the series for me. I can't categorize those two, colleagues, friends, besties, partners, strangers, it's flirty, but familiar, professional but personal, but mysterious too, when they're at their best it's one of my favorite dynamics on the show, along with the Harvey/Mike Bromance, and the Harvey/Donna thing (which is a different thing, and preferably a platonic thing because...just because). But the thing that is Harvey and Jessica, or Jarvey, as they're called, only works when they're on the same damn side and not at each other's throats! I'm ranting. Lemme just try again.

-I agree that Donna and Louis Hitler thing. What was that? It wasn't even funny it was just bizarre and inappropriate. If you're going to insert inappropriate humor it must be funny and it must actually make sense and fit with the characters, and that just didn't fit.
- I love the casualness and ease in which they threw in that Darby was gay. Freaking loved it. It was so matter of fact, sandwiched in between adjusting flawless suits, and Harvey flashing the Specter smirk.
-Speaking of Darby, delicious rival. Delicious. I don't want to like him, but I kinda do and he's here to just shake up shit. I mean he's just watching stuff unravel all around him, while he leans back in the big boy chair and drinks a ridiculously expensive cup of tea. (as a tea addict, I. Must.Have.) He's the kind of guy that insults you with such a warm and charming smile and expression that you actually take getting screwed in stride because it was so delightful. He's just so bloody delightful! This is what I love about that British charm, this is why my inner Brit smiles, they can screw you over politely and with class. LOVE it. He's sitting atop a legal monarchy and enjoying every last second of it. He wasn't even apologetic about taking over. Jessica seemed gobsmacked over the fact that he actually wasn't planning to do things 50/50. While Hardman was a world class jackass, albeit an entertaining one, Darby is cunning and sneaky, therefore he'll be one of the most interesting things to watch this season. No doubt about it.

-Mike. So here's the thing. I collectively wanted to backhand Mike, Donna, Jessica, and Harvey in this episode, because those four are my core four of awesome. I love them. They are my babies. They are what I enjoy most about the show, so when they do stupid things I take it a little harder and actually give a damn about wanting to reach through the screen and shake the sense into them. And thus, why Mike was on my shit list this episode. You can't go around talking about loyalty and trying to win Harvey over when you spent more time trying to get back into Rachel's pants. C'mon mikey. Even though I still don't feel he truly betrayed Harvey on the level that Harvey is saying, Mike should have spent more time kissing Harvey's ass and less time kissing Rachel's hoo-ha.Priorities, Mikey. Mother fudgin priorities!! He was torn between the two and I wasn't particularly fond of how it played out, because he was just running back and forth between them, and how can you take someone seriously when they're doing that. It reminded me of a kid running between both of their parents trying to figure out who was going to cave first. He half assed it. Harvey should have been the priority, screw Rachel! Oh wait, he already did. And er, um, so with you Maryanne on the coworker foreplay. No, just no. Eww!

-Donna. I love Donna. Oddly enough I didn't like her little convo with Mike, where she called herself land-basting him and then telling him that he betrayed her too. How Donna? How did Mike betray you too? One of the best and worst things about Donna is her relationship with Harvey. I love it, don't get me wrong, but her blind devotion to him is almost like a crutch for her character. If I were Mike I'd be pissed, because if she had the gall to go off on him like that for Harvey's sake, than it all comes down to whether or not she and Mike were ever really friends to begin with. And yes, she frequently defends Mike to Harvey,but if she were really both of their friends, she would have stayed out of it, not froze Mike out like Harvey was doing. It isn't really her fight. And the way she's still justifying what she did with shredding that document is annoying me too. She did it for Harvey. That's all nice and quaint, but Mike was asked to do his job by his boss' boss. He did it for the firm. He did it for Jessica. I mean it IS his job, after all.

-Harvey. I LOVED his loyalty speech to Mike. I could type that up, print that out and frame it. That is one of a handful of things I can understand and relate to in his character the most, which is why after he said that I was conflicted again. Maybe Mike should have told him, but where would Mike have picked up that he didn't have to tell his boss everything? From Harvey! The irony is that he's pissed at Mike for doing the same thing he does to Jessica and has been doing since the show begin. He keeps her in the dark. He undermines her. He makes impulsive decisions that affect the firm. He knowingly puts them in jeopardy sometimes, and he expects her to always take it because of their relationship. It doesn't matter that Harvey always has good intentions with the things that he does, he still does them. So he's essentially mad at Mike for doing the same thing to him that he frequently does to Jessica, and he's mad at Jessica for reminding him that he is her boss, putting the firm first, and not not treating him like her equal. She isn't really compelled to do that. When she does, it's more of a courtesy than a requirement. I love Harvey, but he's forgetting that he struck first and most of this is of his own doing. I honestly think he needs to cut both of them a break. For someone who claims not to be loathe emotions he's been operating off of them for a while now.

-I'll defend Jessica until the end because she's the female Harvey. Honestly, I don't understand how you can like one and dislike the other, because they're two sides of the same coin, and that's probably what makes them so interesting. She's making herself a villain though and that I don't much care for. Half of the crap she pulls with Mike is so unnecessary, and she can't get past the need to assert her authority, even though I understand why she feels compelled to when you have a renegade like Harvey running around. I think what annoyed me most about her this episode was her accusing Harvey of not doing his job appropriately. He was right, he did what he's always done and she used to appreciate it. The fallout between these two will be difficult but interesting. It definitely has high stakes, and it'll definitely be ugly because of the personal relationship between them. It's infuriating to watch already because I just need them to be on the same side again, but this was something that had been simmering between them for quite some time, so surely this fallout will be epic. I mean they never actually recovered from her finding out about Mike, they had to put that little beef on the backburner because of Hardman. It's going to be ugly, but hopefully it's going to be worth it. I still don't buy that Harvey would make a move against Jessica. If anything, he's doing it to get Darby. I think he's still working to overthrow Darby and get his way, because that's Harvey. I think this may be another case of him doing what he feels is right, to protect the firm and the people he cares about in it, including Jessica, even if it's at her own expense. You don't have a loyalty code like Harvey and throw it all out of the window like that. You just don't. So I'm not buying it. It did frustrate me, however, that Harvey was proven right about Darby. Right in the premiere they pretty much proved Harvey right, Darby is taking over and reducing Jessica to secondhand. IT's everything Harvey warned her about, the problem is Harvey really did need to be humbled and not he won't be because he knows he was right, and also Jessica, although her methods of getting there can be debated, made a solid and sound, practical decision with the merger.

-Um, Rachel is the worst. I just can't with that woman. I just can't. The hot-cold thing. She's flaky and fickle as I don't know what. No way in hell Mike should have told that broad anything. She's too emotional. All the time. You have these fierce, fabulous female characters on here and then you have Rachel, who continuously comes across as whiny, and whose only existence seems to be for Mike. I hate that. I mean, she through hissy fits wanting him to be honest with her. Two seasons worth of hissy fits, and then he does, and now she's like a little kid with her fingers plugged in her ears singing "Lalalalalala I don't want to know" Grow up, Rachel! I know emotions are not rationale, but it isn't rational for her to feel as though HE somehow cheated her out of her spot. As if he personally robbed her of an opportunity. He didn't cheat her out of a spot. The only thing Mike did, was take a shortcut. He still could ace the LSATS. He still would have gotten into Harvard. He still would have sailed through with flying colors. He would have past the Bar with no problem, and still could have been working right there. He's a genius for crying out loud, c'mon Rachel let's not compare ourselves to an honest to goodness genius. He got everything she wanted through a shortcut, but even if he did it the legit way he still would have gotten everything she wanted and she probably wouldn't have. I keep wanting to like Rachel I really do. Hell, I even empathized with the LSAT thing, but she's just a pain in the ass, and my eyes gloss over when she appears onscreen sometimes. Then Mikey gets a special kind of stupid when he's around her. But thank God she's gorgeous and wears fabulous clothes.
More+
Flag
I really like your thoughts on this rant, and I absolutely agree with you on the whole loyalty speech, I swear it's going up on my wall someday haha.
Flag
The premiere was better than the Season 2 finale that was just so convoluted, it hurt... Still, Suits has to clean up its act to be the sharp (!) show it can be... The whole angle of firm politics overshadowing the actual practice of the law ends up being boring... Didn't we just do this with Hardman like weeks ago? Now with the evil Brits??? Mike at odds with Harvey makes Mike look like a sad puppy... Even Donna was a bit over the top refusing relevant data for a case because Mike had been disloyal? I had to roll my eyes there...

As for Rachael... Her character is pointless beyond hooking up (or not) with Mike so I hope she just goes to some Law School and the whole story plot of their relationship just goes away...

Having said that I can get behind the Jessica vs. Harvey though I am sure at some point they'll end up on the same side and kick Darby out...

I like the Benjamin character... His banter with Mike was way more fun than Donna making fun of Louis which was not funny at all... contrived and courting controversy unnecessarily
More+
Flag
Let me start by saying how much I LOVE Suits. L-O-V-E I-T! That being said we're now at season 3 (granted only 1 episode into it) but it's starting to feel we're rehashing the same plot line over and over and over again. Different lawyer, same purpose - take Jessica down. Yawn. Also I'm getting so tired of the Mike didn't really go to law school thing. How long are they going to keep it up? Surly at some point the series either has to take a 5 year jump to allow him to actually go to Harvard and pick it up again at graduation or.... I don't know just stop using the damn thing as a cliffhanger every other episode? sigh...
Flag
I've never been bored by an episode of Suits before, but this was boring. Or maybe just disappointing.
"In the end, Mike turned it down in an attempt to stop pissing everyone off—everyone being Harvey and Rachel"....and Donna. Donna was pretty pissed. And if Donna ain't happy.....
Flag
I really enjoyed this opener to Suits' third season. From the shift in dynamics to the attempted integration of a slew of new characters, it was all quite fascinating and promises a fresh chapter for our favorite law firm.

Harvey has his game back, and he's a joy to watch when he's in top form. While necessary, it wasn't fun to see him epically humbled in last season's finale. In The Arrangement, he's two steps ahead, unapologetic and ruthless as he uses his betrayers to win Darby's favor. All of this is nudged along delicately by Donna's expert maneuvers. One of the episode's highlights was seeing our main duo (while some might argue that's Mike and Harvey, I like to believe it's Donna and Harvey) thick as thieves again, showing the audience just how valuable Donna's presence is to Harvey's career.

The monumental change in Harvey and Jessica's relationship is the single most engaging thing about the whole premiere. I love how they are attempting to navigate the minefield that is now their relationship, trying to make-up while undercutting each other and piling more betrayals onto their already tenuous footing. It makes for delicious television! They've traded their conference room for a boxing ring and are dealing almost exclusively in sucker punches. How Darby factors into all of this while avoiding getting sacked is something I look forward to seeing unfold. He might manage - this one's sneaky.

Louis and Donna's scenes while usually the highlight of any Suits episodes felt tired and forced this week. I didn't feel the usual cackle. Louis' whole storyline with Nigel is unbecoming for the show (and for partners at a law firm). It's too kids-in-the-sandbox for such a professional high-stakes setting. It felt like he was extremely underutilized and given his own distraction of a plot-line while all the cool kids were caught up in the crossfire of Harvey and Jessica's first battle in what looks like it's going to be a season-long war (likely with no victors).

As for Harvey and Scottie, I immensely disliked their one scene at the airport. Scottie is a smart, gorgeous lawyer with the world at her fingertips - much like Harvey. Her "I need something" was much too desperate. Harvey's empty response of "you mean something to me" was supremely unsatisfying. No one was expecting an undying declaration of love. But really? Peanut butter means something to me. It means sugary, gooey goodness that I will regret in the morning. Could Scottie really be that easy? That whole incident undermined the character for me. And it's a sad portrayal of a driven, career woman who just got sent back to London by the man she laid everything on the line for.

And this leads me straight into Mike and Rachel. I'm not sure I like how things unfolded between them, although they do have enough chemistry to make it okay. I felt cheated when we weren't shown what Mike perceives to be the necessary "roughness" that brought him to this point in his fraudulent career and why that suddenly made it okay for Rachel that he had cheated his way into what she's spent the better part of her adult life failing to achieve. Then again maybe it was a spur of the moment I-really-want-to-sleep-with-you-so-I'll-ignore-this-ultimate-betrayal romp. I hope the next few episodes reveal how Rachel is reeling from the aftershocks of this discovery.

Overall, it was a great start to the season. I can't wait to see how alliances change and what trials shake up the newly minted Pearson Darby.

- T from Nad's Reviews
More+
Flag
"At this point, I'm mainly here for Donna and Louis." - Thank you! My sentiments exactly! I started the show with quite a crush on Harvey, but about a season ago I suddenly found myself more and more annoyed with him. Sometimes even more than I am irritated at Mike, and that's quite a high bar to reach. Having said that, Rachel is even higher up in that rank list. Ugh!
Thank God Donna returned and I get to see her awesomeness alongside with at least one prominent scene with Louis, in which he shows what he really is and makes me like him more and more.
I'm also glad that the boring Hardman plot is finally over with, because Darby is way more interesting to watch.
Speaking of which, I love the Game of Thrones characters in this show, maybe in the next episode we would see a Lannister make an appearance? :D
Flag
I don't like the Mike not have a degree storyline. I know it was a good premises to start the show off but now I find it annoying. I can't understand why Jessica would make him an associate when she knows he doesn't have a law degree. Surely this would make it even worse if/when he gets found out?!
Flag
I agree 100%! Why not just go to law school? Every time his lack of degree is mentioned, that is all I can think. :)
Flag
It's too late for him to go now because he would get caught for already practicing without a law degree. And I guess the writers can't just forget about it (unfortunately) because it's a fairly bit plot point. Although I personally could over look that plot hole.
Flag
I think that Jessica and Darby have something planned about Harvey's desire to take down Jessica. There was a scene where Darby says that he feels Harvey "doesn't 'really' want to leave". Sort of shows that they've seen it coming. Interested to see if Darby will turn against Jessica....
AND has anyone realized that IF mike gets back on Harvey's good side he still has to tell Harvey about him and Rachel?? I remember in an episode a long time ago Harvey made it clear that Mile couldn't be with Rachel of it risked Mike getting exposed, overwhelming to say the least.
Flag
Blah, blah blabbity blah, blah bla RACHEL!!!!!!! Blah blah blah, something-something, blah blah...
Flag
I thought this was a strong season opener. I've hated Mike since the first episode, and I tune in every week for Donna, Louis, Harvey, and sometimes Jessica. All in all, if they are on the screen with some witty banter, I'm a happy camper.
Flag
Did anyone hear the subtle knowledge bomb that Mike and Jessica revealed in their conversation at the end of the show? From what it sounds like, I don't think Jessica is a licensed attorney either. Mike said "you're in the same boat as me" when discussing the letter Jessica was going to send to the DA to expose him. I know people are tired of hearing about Mike's fear of being exposed, but that would take a huge turn with Jessica's situation. Overall, I loved the episode. Can't wait for more!
Flag
i remember an episode with judge ella (forgot the surname) the one jessica played a prank on while taking up law. i'm sure she is legit.
Flag
I don't think so. The reason Jessica is in the same boat as Mike is that she knew about it, so she's also liable to face charges.
Flag
I would think as part of the bargain for Mike to stay on, Jessica would have required Mike to actually go to law school and get legit, but then it would sort a kill the plot premise. I like that Louis is now more of a team player and "friendly" toward Harvey. I also think Nigel and Louis will have an interesting relationship. As to the Jessica and Harvey fight. Mike does seem to be the child caught up in the custody battle between mommy Jessica and Daddy Harvey. I bet he sure misses his grandmother's wise advice.

Donna's words probably stung the most when she told Mike that Harvey valued loyalty above all else and that is why Harvey is angry at Mike. Mike chose to save himself rather than do what was best for Harvey. Mike was stuck between a rock and a hard place and made a decision to save the company, and save himself, but all Harvey saw was that Mike betrayed him, and to Harvey that was an unforgivable.
Flag
He supposed to have a law degree already so going to college would raise a few questions.
Flag
Jessica sent Harvey to law school when he worked in the mail room. There would probably be a way for Jessica to arrange for a sabatical, assign him to research, or demote him to a lower profile position. Besides people go back to school all the time for additional degrees, it would not be that unusual or hard to sell. Given the depiction of the corporate culture, the other associates would relish the elimination of some competition. School would not be that hard for Mike, he has to get in but since he already knows the material, he'd only have to show up for the tests and he can ace those. In the meantime Harvey could still use him on his cases.
Flag
I love the show but I am tired of the "Mike is not an attorney" plot. We know he is smart enough to be an attorney but has he ever taken the bar exam for himself (I know he's taken and passed for others)? If not, even if he takes the exam now he would be admitting he was a fraud. If somehow he is legally an attorney and the firm waves the Harvard policy the rest of the firm would again see him as a fraud. For a guy as smart as Harvey it sure was short sided to hire someone, even if you are impressed by them, without a law degree and think there is a long term future there. At this point I want them to resolve this even if it's not plausible. Just be done with that.
Flag
Seems like the "arrangement" is that Mike gets nookie every time he tells a secret.
Flag
This first episode was not as good as what I remember from the first two seasons. Not sure why yet. I know that we don't like procedurals so much in this site, and for that reason we prefer not to have more weekly cases in this kind of show. But I would love to see a bit more of lawyers work among all that back stabbing. This is turning a bit too soapy for me. Maybe we are just missing a bit more humour (cause the hitler thing wasn't funny enough!)
Flag
Can we please, please please. Get off the Mike is not actually a lawyer thing. He passed the Bar for crying out loud. This is the third season, they gave him his own office. His dreams about getting caught and getting hauled out by the cops are silly.

Speaking of the office. Who gives back an office? My office is the size of a closet. No way I give that back. Plus it has no bearing on Harvey forgiving him. In fact it raises more questions in people than it solves problems and Jessica should have made him aware of that. Mike was a large part of the merger and winning the big case last season. Everyone knows that. He got to stand in the partners meeting because of that. He turns his office back because as he says, he didn't earn it. Of Course he earned it. So if I am someone like Louis, Nigel, Darby literally anyone else in the firm that doesn't know Mike's lame secret. I have to wonder why. The excuse of it being to try to prove his loyalty to Harvey isn't enough. Especially considering Harvey's affinity for his own office. So that opens doors to people that would seek answers to why. And if it isn't addressed by Louis then they are writing that intentionally and glossing over it. Same with Darby.

Mike and Rachel. I am pretty sure that Mike still owns the apartment he got for his grandma. Move dude. You might have turned back the office, but I doubt you turned down the raise that had to have gone with that office. You have money now, move out of your crappy apartment, or buy it as well and rent it to a hipster or something. But this whole relationship thing is still kind of iffy. Rachel's self righteous speech to Mike should have fallen on deaf ears for the simple reason that she hasn't been working hard to get a law degree. She stopped taking the LSAT because she was afraid of failing. And worked as a Legal Secretary because it was safe. That was literally the plot of at least two episodes last season. He got there out of talent and he is good at it. Either get over it or turn him in.

Mike and Harvey. This is especially silly. Harvey is really only loyal to Harvey. He doesn't listen to Jessica, he wasn't that loyal to Donna last season and granted with Mike's lame secret there is more to the relationship then any of the others. But he should have understood that Mike was extorted by Jessica. Even if Mike should have known earlier that if she turned him in that she and Harvey would be in just as much trouble. They need to get them back together. Because they are the show.

Harvey and Jessica. Good. Jessica as we found out last season, and this episode. Is not a good person. Far from it. This is really setting up to be a classic mentor/mentee young lion kills the old lion cyclical contiuum of sorts. Jessica was Hardmans Harvey, She killed him off figuratively speaking with the help of Harvey. Jessica is Harvey's Hardmann, he is goin to kill her off with the help of Mike. And then it will happen with Mike and Harvey.

Nigel and Louis is fun. But it could fall flat on its face really fast.

DONNA! She is hilarious and can do know wrong. And anyone would have taken that shot at the prank on Louis.

I am looking forward to Jessica vs Harvey. And it just kind of makes it better that Varys is there watching it all.

Overall it was a good episode. And I am looking forward to potential new stories with new characters. But the show was the core of Mike and Harvey, then Donna, Rachel and Louis. If they stray to far away from that it might cost them.
More+
Flag
Staff
Have you seen that we added a community for Suits yet (http://www.tv.com/shows/suits-2011/community)? I think you might like it over there! I love your post on each of the characters and I bet other fans of the show will, too! - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
i believe he just took/passed the LSAT (pre-req to law schools) for others not the bar exams.
Flag
Mike in the first episode said that he took the Bar Exam on a bet and passed.
Flag
Don't think it will happen with Mike and Harvey. I agree giving back the office was dumb, but I think the symbolism of it was that he is different than Jessica, Hardman and even Harvey. He would never try and take him down, which is why one day I think the endgame is a Spector Ross law firm.
Flag
That is a good perspective on it. I like it. Mike does seem to try to keep above the fray and doesn't really seem to enjoy the messy stuff. But considering we don't know as of yet how Harvey started out it could very well be the same.
Flag
I can see dead people!

Went through half of of the review than it struck me: that's written by a female. So I scrolled up...

Ok, bona fide, given that, there are a bunch of things I disagree:

I do love the Rachel-Mike.
I do not think a women (that part is after I went over the half of the text so it's not gender-related) will stir things up as in Scotty - if, IF, any woman stirs things up it's Jessica and our all beloved Donna.
The Hitler thing was too - I have no word(s) for it.
I mean in the next scene we see Louis and Mike at the copy machine there was no mustache (MUSTACHE-prosecuter, Magnum P.I. revival!) on Louis and on the next one-on-one with Donna there was no remorse anywhere - ehm?
Diploma - Schmiploma. Better should stop smoking weed, gives you bad, bad nightmares, Mike. Good turn on Benjamin though.

Oh, and before I forget: I can see dead people! (Not to mention: we knew Contleth Hill form last season already... anyway: had a laugh on Michelle's appearance.)

Well, let's see what this Season brings us but there ain't anything in the scenes I would say I'm annoyed about. Bring it on!
More+
Flag
I think Harvey is planning to bust up the merger, not take down Jessica. He gets Darby to vote publicly against Jessica, Jessica sees Darby's true colours. Harvey breaks the merger and allies with Jessica. Then he gets the Pearson Specter he wanted.
Flag
I like Nigel vs Louis conflict but they seem to keep undermining Louis a little too much. Jessica vs. Harvey will be interesting especially if it turns out Harvey wins and become a managing partner. Will Jessica leave or take Harvey's former place and return once the day she can?

I really hope Hardman is gone, he was such a phoney. I never liked him, a chemistry thing.

I hope thing bring something different out of Rachel and Mike this season. First, I agree that Rachel should become more independant or perhaps more important to the cases involved and actually become a lawyer, I don't know.
Flag
I don't want anyone vs anyone on this show if it's any of the main people...I'm sure I could phrase that better but there it is. Jessica and Harvey are such a fun pair to see bantering and plotting together that when they're doing it in attempts to rile the other or take the other down, it kinda hurts. That's how I feel about pretty much everyone on this show - except Louis, but that's not because I dislike him, more because I think he's a really fantastic character in those moments. Still, I'd like less Louis vs Harvey, and more Pearson Hardman (I'm so stuck on that name, nothing well ever sound as good) vs All Other People. But I feel like season 3 will maybe not give me that, so I'll suck it up and hope that come season 4 (cause it's gonna happen), all this drama will simply have tightened the bonds of friendship and wuv. Because Game of Suits (with bonus Cat Stark!) is all well and good and interesting but I miss everyone being on mostl- good terms.

Harvey, at the moment, is really grating on my nerves. He's doing it in a tremendously dapper fashion but I think he's being rather childish. A little less 'I WILL RUIN YOU' from him to Jessica and little more 'I WILL PUT ON MY BIG BOY PANTS AND JUST BE A BIGGER PERSON ABOUT THIS'.

I still can't dislike Jessica...Gina Torres, I swear, I'll never hate her or any alternate universe her. Can't do it. So I am really solidly on team Her at the moment.

And I'm perfectly fine with Mike and Rachel if they stay like this for at least the season, which they probably won't. They're a cute fun couple, and I'd like to see more happy times...and more character times for Rachel because she's really awesome when they give her a storyline.

Donna is still the Queen, but also I'd like more storylines for her.

I liked this episode but I'm going to agree with the 'STOP FIGHTING' brigade because it hurts.
More+
Flag
Harvey, my beloved Harvey, truly is being a baby. And yes, when it comes between Jess and Harvey on this, I'm firmly on Team Jessica. It truly is impossible to dislike Gina Torres and any character she plays. Just can't be done. LOL! And I don't like my favorite pair at odds. I just don't. They're so much fun when they're bantering and running sh!t together.
Flag
Pretty underwhelmed by the season premiere. But Harvey yelling at Mike about his betrayal was a great and powerful moment.
Flag
*yay!* They're back!

As much as I want Mike and Harvey to get back together, it wouldn't be believable. So I am willing to wait a bit longer for their reconciliation, but hopefully not too long. I miss their banter!

Flag
Mike has to put up his, albeit, fake cred's. Prospective, or actual, clients expect to see gold leaf.
Yes, he didn't earn them but, and it's a large one, all the banging on about him not deserving to be there based on that is tiresome bollocks. He's there because he's excellent at what he can and does do. Period. Rachel hasn't cut it and needs to shut the fuck up and take responsibility. Get a degree elsewhere and live to your limits or excel elsewhere and make your way up.
I hope Mike and Rachel get together just to stop all the waste of time over them.
Jessica said that she would've done the whole car give back thing with her parents but that that was obviously a stupid question for Mike to pose. I think she's more needy than she lets on and gives it away at times with her supposed fights to be on top all the time. There's always clauses in her battles to worship at her alter in some way.
Hitler Louis should've been reserved for a proper put down scenario, like where Donna would have him march out to the drones outside and give one of his threatening diatribes!
Louis, Donna and Nigel moments are the ones I'm enjoying most thus far. But the show's trying to stop from getting stale with Mike and Harvey simply scheming and winning is in danger of overplaying that hand quick.
I want to see Jessica fall hard and big this season. We've yet to see that in any real or lasting way and it'd be interesting to see more sides of her.
I too miss sassy grandma, just like in True Blood, they killed her off way to soon and with ease.
More+
Flag
Harvey-Mike reunion and Jessica takedown
Flag
Well, i'm most exciting is for NOT read your reviews again! Dammmn you are only here for Donna & Louis? Best show in television at this moment.
Flag
I think so too... This is the most disappointing review I ever read since Dexter season 8 premiere review... WTF. Trashing the best shows on TV what is wrong with you guys? Is Game of thrones the only one to get the best reviews?
As for Suits... Great start! I can't wait till the next episode...
Flag
Ahhh, Suits, how I missed you. Adding the British element is really quite refreshing. Darby is really charming, though for some strange reason I have a really bad feeling that he might be considered the Big Bad of season 3. I think deep down he wants complete control of Jessica's firm, but will be way more hands-offish about it than Hardman was. My theory is that Darby will indulge a now vengeance-crazed Harvey and have him destroy Jessica mid-season, then reveal that kicking Jessica out was his plan all along, and when Harvey accuses him of manipulating him, he'll say in his most charming British accent "My dear boy, I merely gave you options. You were the one that chose the right ones. Every single time ." I want to go on record saying I don't trust Darby, but I like him a whole lot more than Hardman.

Harvey has basically spiraled into a whiny child. The entire episode was basically "Mommy caught me cheating in my game and made me lose, now I don't want to play anymore." and ended with "if mommy won't let me play the game the way I want then I'm gonna overthrow mommy." Harvey's winning streak on the show got annoying for me, especially since each win boosted his already big ego, and so I thought his first loss might have humbled him, but all it did was make him bitter and angry at everyone. And as a result, the case of the day wasn't won because Harvey had to be coaxed by Donna to make every good decision because without Mike, Harvey tends to be on the stupid side.

Speaking of stupid, Mike's nightmare. I honestly thought the mid-season was going to end with Rachel revealing Mike's secret and having him arrested, but nope, it's done in the first 5 minutes, and then revealed that it's all just a dream. I caught on that it was a dream right when Harvey revealed that Mike was becoming a partner. How long in Suits universe has Mike been with the firm? Four, maybe five months? NO ONE BECOMES A PARTNER IN 5 MONTHS! EVEN A JUNIOR PARTNER!

Mike was my least favorite character last season because of all the idiot decisions he was making, but this episode admittedly got him back into my good graces. I understand Rachel's fury at him for having the gall to but his fake diploma up, but what I don't understand is why she had sex with him at the end of season 2 right after he revealed his secret to her. Admittedly, Rachel needed to know Mike's secret sooner or later. Contrast this with Juliette learning Shawn's secret in Psyche, and I'd say that, though it was handled much faster, the "I hate you/give me a chance to explain/explain away/blah blah blah/I love you" dance was handled a little better than Psych, which had no real reconciliation scene. Of course, Rachel is more of a time bomb than Jessica, Harvey, or Donna. The previous three knew that exposing Mike would be the end of their careers, but Rachel's become REALLY bitter because of her Harvard rejection, and even though she's in love with Mike, knowing Mike, he'll find some way to screw it up and have her blab the secret in revenge. Now could be the perfect time to get Katrina, the uppity new hire, to suddenly become overwhelmed with lust for the stupid fake lawyer.

Louis vs Nigel... an interesting story arc for my favorite character on the show. We've experimented with giving Louis a love interest, but I think it'll be more fun to see him try to make an actual friend, especially since Louis's professional actions have already soured any chance of a bromance with British-Louis last season. Louis's paranoia over Nigel's wrath led him to make even more boneheaded decisions, and now Nigel has control over Louis's associates. What's more ironic is the fact that Nigel didn't really take Louis's second season action personally (unlike Harvey with Mike) and WOULD'VE forgiven him if Louis just apologized and said it was purely professional. But now granola bars are at stake... and one never messes with granola bars.

Overall a bit on the weak side, and I find it a little bothersome that the entire firm except for Donna and Darby seem to be holding idiot balls this episode, but some really interesting plot seeds were sewn here and I'm really looking forward to how they bloom.
More+
Flag
Staff
Have you seen our new community page yet for Suits (http://www.tv.com/shows/suits-2011/community)? We just added it & I think your comment is fantastic. You may like discussing the show with other fans over on the community! :) - Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
The problem with your dramatic arc is that that's not how gutting a law firm works. What you do is you hire away all of the best talent and all of the talent with the biggest clients. You can do that without bothering with any kind of "merger" (which ALSO is wrong, as law firms generally can't be corporations... once they were partnerships, now they're likely to be LLPs or LLCs).
Flag
I like "Suits." I do not like Harvey Spector. He's not particularly charismatic or attractive, and his whole ethos borders on repellent. It baffles me that everyone in the firm is constantly fawning over him and seeking his approval. Apparently, self-esteem is in short supply at Pearson Darby, because Harvey has made it abundantly clear he'll step on anyone to be king of the hill. Funny thing is, if he ever does get his name on the wall, I doubt he'll be satisfied for long. He's just that sort of asshole.

I hope he loses this war with Jessica. I hope he loses badly.
Flag
Its great that Suits is back, i would have liked to see more scene of Harvey and Donna together though.
I feel that Jessica is basically trying to make Harvey 2.0 with Mike, grooming him in much the same way she did Harvey.
It was nice to see Gary Cole again as well - he always gives solid performances wherever he guest stars
Flag
So, two of the big shocker scenes from the teasers were complete fake-outs.
A) Harvey accepting a "job" from a person, which just meant he was only taking her on as a client.

B) And the bad dream in the conference room, which I always figured was a bad dream. Or perhaps a fake-out orchestrated by Harvey and Mike to pretend to lie about Mike NOT having a diploma to stop the merger and then reveal Mike had one. But mostly the dream thing.
Flag
Louis has been my favorite character for a while. Mostly since we've seen that, from time to time, he has a soft side.

Also, weird. Louis seemed a lot more chummy with Mike than I remember. I thought when we last left off he was still "Boss of Associates Louis" when interacting with Michael. Sure they bonded every now and then, but unless circumstances were specific I thought he still defaulted to "Angry Boss Louis" to Mike.

And yet in the copy room he was "ordinary and friendly human Louis" to Michael, even before learning about his letter of resignation.
Flag
Mike more or less saved Louis from making the mistake of quitting because of Harvey, and also, more or less, repaired Louis's relationship with Harvey by asking him to find the piece of legal-speak that would've screwed Harvey's client. I think Louis has come to appreciate Mike and sees him more than an expendable peon like he did in season 1 (where he tried to use Mike to woo a young prospective client)

Louis arguably has had the most character development out of everyone, being at first a lying, manipulative sleazeball to a cartoonish villain to a misunderstood and lonely guy to a firm yet fair boss. Yes, occasionally his dickish side will rear his ugly head (like the season 2 mid-season finale where he became Hardman's attack dog) but, unlike Harvey, Louis admits that he makes mistakes and tries to do everything in his power to make things right.
Flag
Hanging the credentials is pretty much mandatory for Mike. If 100% of the company hangs their's up then it begs to question "Why don't you"

But when you're trying to hide the fact that you didn't actually go there it's better to have no questions.

Flag
I don't care what others say, Gina Torres is a scary woman. Glad this show is back!
Flag
Jessica: I know why you care so much about Ava
Darby: well it's no secret that her father was my first client
Jessica: no that's not it, it's because you were on Game of Thrones together
Darby: Yes and i well avenge Cat Stark
Flag
Excellent!!! After the Red Wedding somebody had to do it...
Flag
*applause* LOL!
Flag
Brazen yes, but wouldn't it draw more attention if he didn't hang it up? It's like the whole, if you are trying to escape in a public place, you will draw less attention by walking normally among everyone else instead of running.
Flag
Woman: I HATE YOU. YOU HURT ME. I'M TURNING YOU DOWN.
Man: But... but... but...
Woman: Okay, I understand. I love you.
Flag
Staff
Lol. Pretty much.
Flag
Nigel vs. Louis of course, show steeling is awesome!
Flag
You're on fire tonight, MA--all russlin' up them feathers and shit. Most probably--like me--you're just glad to have your Covert Suits back. Summer's not so bad considering the network seasons are only three months long--that whole holidaze thing kinda crimps, don't it? Anyway, two great reviews and I share your concerns for both shows...
Flag
Staff
USA has a pretty strong summer schedule, so I totally start looking forward to it near the end of the regular TV season. Covert Affairs has really matured-- I didn't love it when it first aired, but I enjoy it these days. :)
Flag
What I still don't get... Mike passed the bar right he just didn't go to Harvard Law. So is he certified to be a lawyer or not? If so, the whole problem could go away with management simply recognizing him as the exception of a genius who didn't go to Harvard and is the firms biggest asset. Send him to Harvard summer school or something.

Other than that so and so season opener.
Flag
i believe he just took/passed the lsat (pre-req to law schools) for others not the bar exams.
Flag
He never passed the bar for himself
Flag
I don't *recall* if we found out that he ever took the Bar Exam in his own name.

Meanwhile I don't know how any of that stuff works... like what you need to take the bar or be a lawyer. Considering Mike doesn't even have an undergrad degree, I could see him lacking some vital stats.
Flag
49 of the 50 states (including New York) require candidates for the bar to hold a JD degree from an ABA-accredited school. Law schools, generally, require an undergraduate degree in SOMETHING (they generally do not care what). So, you earn your law degree, which gets you the ability to sit for the bar exam. You pass the bar exam, and you have one more step before admission: The C&F (character and fitness) evaluation. Then AFTER admission, you must follow the ethics rules to STAY admitted. So... Mike doesn't have the degree, and would fail the C&F evaluation AND routinely violates the ethics rules (as do Harvey and Jessica) every time Mike holds himself out as something he is not. If Mike's secret breaks, all three will be disbarred. If Jessica is disbarred, she loses her ownership interest in Pearson-Darby, because non-lawyers may not have ownership interests in law firms.
And THAT'S how it works.
Flag
Thanks! Back to school for Mike it is. Or shut his mouth and simply stick with his forgered but real Harvard diploma (Harvard issued it and he is in their system thanks to that cool hacker chick so who would find out really?).
Flag
Cool, thanks for the info.
Flag
Also, Darby looks like Strax from Doctor Who.
Flag
I'm very anti-JessicavsHarvey. My ruin the whole season for me.
Flag
It's like watching your super cool parents fight. It just shouldn't be done. I like them on the same side taking on everybody else. I'm only game for the turmoil if their reconciliation is going to be epic. They have to come out stronger than ever in the end. Their relationship is one of my favorite "platonic" dynamics on TV right now.
Flag
I am with you 'shipping' Jessica & Harvey's partnership but I think they are either faking their fighting or eventually end up on the same side to take out Darby
Flag
Staff
Reeeeeeally?
Flag
Naw, itsa great heavy-weight fight ticket. Hide the women and children...
Flag
So happy that Suits is back! And I love the new cast additions. I was all "I feel like I'm watching Game of Suits!" and patted myself on the back for how clever I was, then got here and saw that they actually had promos and the whole world knew about it but me (sad trombone WAA-waa). So not clever at all. Oh well....

I'm sure I'm on the record somewhere (probably one of the very few, if not only one) as having said that I was all for Mike and Rachel getting together and I'm glad he was honest with her and they finally got over the hump, so to speak, he he. But when it actually happened, I was like, "Eh...". I guess the layoff left me not feeling anything between them, AT ALL.

I kind of wish Louis had just apologized to Nigel from the start, given what kindred spirits they are, and embarked on a bromance of their own. Louis needs a friend not named 'Mom'. I guess they needed some kind of drama for him, but I would love to see 'The Adventures of Nigel and Louis" ala Donna and Rachel (aka Harriet Specter and Michelle Ross).

Does anyone else feel like Mike and Harvey are basically Harvey and Jessica redux (roles reversed, obvsly)? Are we going to see Mike trying to take Harvey down a few seasons from now?

As for this season.... there's no way Harvey can take on Jessica without Mike's help. He won't be on the shelf for too long.
More+
Flag
Staff
I really hope that Nigel vs. Louis doesn't end with Nigel leaving the firm (because you KNOW it's not going to be Louis) and that they DO reconcile. I liked Louis having a real friend too.
Flag
Yes!!!! Suits is back on! Anyway... Jessica vs Harvey (awesome face). My comments really focus on that relationship.

This episode was mostly about Jessica in a way, it made several points to really drive home the idea that Jessica is not all-powerful and flawless. Throughout the series, Jessica has been constructed as Harvey's Harvey; where Harvey could not win a battle, Jessica could. Last season focused on the idea that Harvey was too immature a lawyer to handle being managing partner. This episode hinted that Jessica may be losing her "Harveyness". It did not put her on an intellectual or authoritative level that she has displayed in all passed episodes.

I bring up the point about Jessica's "flaws" because this story rewards the most flawless character with power (Mike Ross being the exception). We know that in past seasons, Harvey has been a flawed character taken by traits not becoming of the most unyielding of lawyers. Whereas Jessica was always portrayed as pristine (even in times of weakness).

To wrap this up: The tone of this episode was Loyalty to Harvey and Jessica's Vulnerability.
Flag
Welcome back, Suits!! Missed you a lot. While I get Harvey's disdain for Mike, at the same time, I see Mike as a victim of Jessica's power struggle with Harvey. So while you may not be in Mike's corner, I definitely am. I miss their bromance too, but at some point, Harvey (who is my favorite character on this show) has to learn that his big, flamboyant talk can't protect Mike all the time. His brashness is something that I absolutely love about him, but Harvey's attitude can be a real double-edged sword most of the time.

Nigel and Louis could and should be friends, but their personalities and egos simply won't allow it, so we might as well just buckle up for the ongoing battle. Speaking of ongoing battle, the Jessica/Harvey battle will be very interesting to watch at the least; and omg was Jessica wearing those dresses!!! Damn!!!

I loved Louis/Donna talking to one another. Very fun to watch. I had no problem with Louis's moves. They just simply backfired on him. End of story. Man, Donna had me rolling at times LOL!!!

As for Mike and Rachel, it's probably just me, but them hooking up has no effect on me. It happened, good for them. As for it being detrimental to the show or whatever, I'm not seeing it. It's not like she's hanging around him like some schoolgirl crush. They actually, to me, have genuine feelings for one another.

More+
Flag
I agree about caring more Donna and Louis, and now Nigel and the IT guy (I don't remember his name).

I totally agree the foreplay about how Mike meet Donna and Harvey was really really weird
Flag
The whole Game of Suits promos where there like it's going to get cut throat are just too soon. I'm happy to see Lady Cat in normal clothes and being awesome. I really want to see a scene between Darby and Not Lady Cat because it would make me oddly happy. I'm a nerd okay.

Nigel and Louis should be friends, not enemies. They both were the kids beat up on at school and now they have power. Let it bring you together boys, not make you fight.

Jessica and Harvey could have an epic battle. I hope Harvey and Mike make up sometime. I don't like to see them fighting. Everyone just seems to be fighting this season.

Donna's joke on Louis was immature, I thought it was funny, but a little low for Donna. I like that Donna is sticking with Harvey while Harvey and Mike fight.

Really Rachel? Mike's penis is that good that you totally roll over? She made a good point and then was like whelp there was really good sex. No.
Flag
i love Suits and am happy as can be that it's back. That being said Mike and Harvey being at odds is breaking me heart. Their bromance is one of the main reasons i love this show. i hope they get back to how it was soon...like immediately....please?????
Flag
I agree. But with him taking on Jessica I can see it not happening... as he does not trust Mike
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members