A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E01: "One-Two-Three Go..."

Its been three months since the events of Suits' Season 3 finale, and Mike sucks at his banker job because he has a soul and can’t bring himself to screw the poor rich people over. Lol, this show.

Prior to this premiere, we'd already seen hints of impending conflict, given the near-disaster that facilitated Mike’s exit from Pearson Specter in search of greener pastures, and “One-Two-Three Go” delivered multiple upsets. In one swift career move, Mike went from being Harvey’s underling to being Harvey’s client, and the pseudo-superiority that role grants him led to our first Mike-Harvey smackdown of the season. But it’s okay, because they eventually got over it when Harvey admitted he was being an ass (as Harvey does), plus Mike is going to need that fake-lawyer job back eventually.

Uncharacteristically, however, the usual Mike-and-Harvey drama didn’t dominate the episode. Instead, the shift away from cringeworthy cases and toward a focus on the interpersonal stories of Suits' main characters—which began in the latter half of Season 3—really came through in this premiere. Even with Mike out of the office and Rachel spending half her time at law school, the political drama at Pearson Specter is threatening to invade the couple's blissful existence. Scottie and Harvey are dunzo (for now), and Jessica got to have a sex life for a hot second before prioritizing her career and the thing that her firm likes to pretend is integrity.

From the outside, it’s easy to see that the drama and political maneuvering of Suits' first three seasons has created a sort of toxic environment at the firm formerly known as Pearson Hardman, formerly known as Pearson Darby, and now known as Pearson Specter. (Srsly, which show has the most name-change craziness? Suits or Mad Men?) When Suits first debuted, the firm was presented as the gold standard among NYC law outfits. Harvey was a rockstar. Jessica was a goddess. The show made the courtroom genre look glamorous again.

But it’s understandable, given the upheavals the firm has experienced, that its luster has faded, that its reputation has tarnished, and that the negative connotations associated with those blows have trickled down to the staff. Pearson Specter curently seems like a pretty god-awful place to work, with zero stability and a corporate culture and direction dictated by the whims of the senior partners. That's probably true of a lot of places, but it’s so obvious—and in the cases of Harvey and Jessica, so infuriatingly petty—that it’s tough to watch. Anticipating Mike’s inevitable return to the firm is like watching a man who just escaped a burning ship jump back in because he just doesn’t know any better. And Rachel’s game of hardball to secure a spot on the team as a lawyer following the completion of her degree—despite that degree not coming from Harvard—seems inexplicable, considering how intimately she knows the inner-workings of Pearson Specter.

There was a time when Pearson Specter was among TV's “cool places to work,” but that hasn’t been the case for about two seasons now, and that’s okay. The firm’s hardships are no secret, and Suits' return to personal stories that focus on Jessica, Harvey, Mike, Louis, and the others could make for a strong fourth season, particularly with regard to the mess that Pearson Specter currently finds itself in. The outside influences are finally gone; it’s time for The Harvey and Jessica Show. They’ve spent season after season ranting about how they would run the organization, how much better they would do, and how great it would become under their leadership. There are no more Hardmans or Darbys to ruffle feathers and turn the partners against one another. Even Louis has been tentatively brought into the fold. Pearson Specter has room to grow and the tools and leadership to do it. Now is the time to show us what they’ve got.

CASE NOTES

– Did anyone else find Rachel’s reveal about the affair underwhelming?

– Katrina and Louis will never get old.

–“I used mousse in high school. It was the '90s.” “Was it?” You in danger, Rachel.

What did you think of Suits' Season 4 premiere? Were you shocked by its reveals? What do you think the show is headed next? 

Previously Aired Episode

TONIGHT AT 10PM

Season 6 : Episode 3

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 4

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ugh, Rachel. Not liking her pairing with Harvey any better than any other of her pairings – except maybe Louis, but Louis is awesome. His "I'm happy for you" to Katrina made me laugh out loud, something this show doesn't do a lot. More Louis, less Rachel!
Flag
I wonder...did Louis never ever get glimpse of Ava Hessington or Edward Darby? I mean what with all the Game of Thrones spouting, all he had to do was come across her once and say "CATELYN STARK?"

Beyond that...uff, this season looks like it's definitely going to clip Rachel's angel wings. Because while she's utterly adorable with Mike, if this whole case blows up in their home life and splits them, it's going to suck.

And the worst part about it is that this whole season (at least first half) looks like a major case of "want of a nail". Between Mike's conscience once again sticking itself where it shouldn't (which is probably going to turn Jon Sidwell into Gordon Gekko without all the charm, which is being hogged by Harvey), Rachel not getting whiff that the client was the man she had an affair with, and Mike's ego ballooning to the point that he's trying to stand as an equal to Harvey, well...just if a few things were different, yet again, another mess could have been avoided. But here we go again with another season-long arc.

One other thing that's sort of stretching my suspension of disbelief is how Mike constantly allows his conscience to shoot himself in the foot. That comment about him constantly hitting singles really irritates me because here's this guy that's been given an opportunity of a lifetime (two, in fact), is friends with one of the most awesome people around (Harvey), is in bed with a gorgeous lady, and he puts both of those in jeopardy simply because "his heart's in the right place" and he's constantly going out of his way to save both sides, instead of fighting for the side that it's his job to be on.

Furthermore, I'd think that the guy would be a bit jaded considering how often the universe has screwed him over. Lost his parents. Got involved with a sleazeball of a friend. Got outright blackmailed by his (currently former) boss. He's constantly screwing himself over by trying to be selfless, when instead, he should just close his eyes, fight to keep what *he* has, and try to play hero when he has his own affairs in order, because before then, his own conscience can destroy everything he can ever want. I think closing one's eyes and letting go of that 24/7 selflessness for a little while is a small price to pay for being on top of the universe.
More+
Flag
Meh.
-I think the highlights of the episode for me, were Louis and his protege Katrina, and some semblance of a personal life for Jessica outside of the office. Because...finally. Also not showing that Jessica Pearson was having sexytimes with somebody was beginning to seem implausible because chica rocks the hell out of those skirts and she's played by Gina freaking Torres. I'm just saying. Also, her and Harvey's bantering. I live for their bantering. I love the Jessica/Harvey (Jarvey) thing that they have and I'm not even sorry. They've graduated from subtle flirty banter to overt flirty banter which I'm assuming is the writers' way of convincing us that after all the crap they've been through the past two seasons, the original dynamic duo is back and stronger than ever. As a fan of their thing, I'll take it, but the lack of mending fences will never not bug me.

-Rachel will continue to be the worst regular on this show. It has nothing to do with Megahn Markle and everything to do with how she's written. It's painful. From the very beginning she was the pretty girl (who may be smart too...sometimes) who's entire existence on the show revolves around a man. That's it. That's her sole purpose. Even when she was studying for the LSATs and trying to get into Harvard...everything revolved around her relationship with Mike more than it did her goals. And if it wasn't Mike it was her daddy issues with Zane. That's all. She's the character that gripes about not wanting to just be a pretty face and they continually use her as the pretty face. I thought maybe with her negotiating (the most absurd deal of them all) with Jessica and going to school that she would have less time to be that girl and thus they'd focus on more interesting aspects of her character, but nope. They literally started the episode off with her naked with Mike. The middle was her playing kissy-face with Mike and being played by Harvey, And ended it with some underwhelming and terribly cliche revelation about a past affair. As if that's all her character could be good for. And there we have another ham-fisted and unnecessary love-triangle thing with her once again serving the purpose of romantic sidepiece rather than a real full fledged character who can stand on her own and hold her own story lines. She's a walking plot device...if that. Every show has one. I mean who is Rachel without being with or pining after Mike? Anyone?! Bueller?! Bueller?!

-Looks like we're in store for some more inter-office conflict and shenanigans. Should be good times. I swear I didn't mean that to sound sarcastic. Harvey is still a rockstar. Jessica is still a goddess. Louis is still a badass underdog. what can I say? I heart them.
More+
Flag
I swear Season 3 finished like a week ago, what's going on?

So we're back to the first half of a new season where we have a big serialised case that will drag out, even having Mike v Harvey won't keep it interesting. The inane and cowardly split season structure will continue to do real damage to the show. Anyway the episode was pretty good, at least the case IS personal. But what's with Louis and friend talking about Game of Thrones? You can't heavily feature two actors from a show and then talk about it, that's a Mobius feedback loop waiting to happen. It's like how Community heavily referenced Breaking Bad then hired Jonathan Banks.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I wish she had short hair for some reason. Or something. She seems a little generic so far.
Flag
Suits or Mad Men? I'm going with The Good Wife.
Flag
Katrina and Louis were too brilliant this episode.
Flag
What happened? Suites used to be better than this, but season 4 is dull in just about everything: the "witty" one-liners are anything but, the supposedly emotional moments are predictable and boring, and the acting--it's almost as if they dared themselves to collectively act worse. I was looking forward to season 4, but after just one episode I am throwing in the towel and I'm pretty much done following this show in its downfall.
Flag
And so the countdown to:
Mike's returning to lawyerdom - you know it's going to happen in some let's get back together and beat the evil hedge fund douches scenario.
Donna saying she's always right and the cast saying 'shit' drinking game count.
Rachel being pissed at Mike - the bear is wiping his arse with leaves as we speak.
Harvey being snide to Lewis and then nice realising his value - a current staple.
Jessica to realise her new beau isn't all he seems and for her to best him - why? Cause she's always best and has to prove it in an I don't need to but will anyway fashion staple diet.
Lewis to get a new cat - it's time big man.
Flag
I'm glad I was wrong...

When Michael said he "did his research" and we heard dramatic music and a close-up on his face... I thought we were going to learn he read Rachel's notes and was using the opposition's research or something like that and thus put Rachel in legal trouble.

But... all that dramatic music for nothing. He just researched the guy's past and knew he had a STRONG emotional tie to his business for a specific reason.
Flag
Not even the affair makes Rachel interesting...
Flag
I was hoping last season that she'd get accepted into the furthest university from the show as possible and we'd never hear from her again.
I'm sure she a fine actress and person and all that stuff but that character is rubbish.
Flag
Me too! So disappointing she seems to be getting an even bigger role, she's so useless.
Flag
Yeh, how sad is it that Mike's new receptionist... who we saw for MAYBE 2 minutes the entire episode... already seems more interesting than Rachel. And said receptionist is just a poor imitation of Donna with a young brunette.

The only up-side is she seems to be getting along well with Jessica, and stood up to Harvey.
Flag
It's call writing the character.
Flag
It's called TERRIBLE character.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The dialogs are so incredibly witty and funny...though one has to be well acquainted with pop culture to understand most of them.
Flag
I'm not stupid but I don't understand what the situation is with what Mike & Harvey's other client separately brought to Harvey, what it really means when Mike says that P/S will be "under review", or what the struggle is between Mike & Harvey. I just call it "lawyer mumbo-jumbo". I like the show but it really makes you hate lawyers and the way they'll over-complicate things & cause problems to make money, to feed their ego, to fight against perceived threats against their jobs/firms/ego, or because they're hired by the rich & powerful.
Flag
It's not "mumbo jumbo," it's brilliant writing that logically explains the development of a conflict between 2 good friends who have a strong mentor-mentee bond. Conflict of Interest is a very real problem in any business and is there to make sure every dealing is fair for the attorneys and their clients.

Pearson Specter has 2 clients: Logan and Mike. They both want Harvey to help them buy the same company, that presents a conflict because Harvey can't legally/ethically represent 2 separate buyers going after the same thing, because he would know too much information about both buyers and one or both can claim he's cheating.

Normally, because Mike went to see Harvey about the deal first, legally, Harvey has to help Mike. But, because of Harvey's ego, Mike put the firm of Pearson Specter under review which means that Pearson Specter, temporarily, does not work for Mike anymore. Logan then showed up and wants to buy the same company, technically speaking, with the "review", Logan legally became the first client to approach Harvey to buy. So now, under the law, Harvey has to represent Logan in the takeover.

Mike had an opportunity to stop Harvey from helping Logan, because Mike had already revealed to Harvey his takeover plan, so Mike could have claimed a conflict still exists and Pearson Specter would have to sit out the takeover and not represent anybody. But by signing the conflict waiver at the end of the episode, Mike gives Pearson Specter the OK to go ahead and help Logan. But until the takeover is finished, Harvey and Mike cannot work together on anything. They are essentially now adversaries.

Great episode.
More +
Flag
Thank you so much for the explanation!

The thing about Suits is that while it uses legal jargon to actually represent itself as a legal drama, sometimes it's really hard to keep up with the actual workings. Some stuff can be understood out of context (or if someone like explicitly explains it in plain English to someone else) but more or less I've to watch till the end to understand something they said in the first half.

Your summary was such a great help to completely legal-illiterate souls like me!
Flag
This is a great summary and I certainly agree...it is brilliant writing
Flag
^ All dis.

Flag
Katrina: Louis! Winter is coming! :D
Flag
Louis: Yes, and I am the Night's watch :D
Flag
I have a feeling that Rachel's affair is going to turn into something annoyingly complicated for the rest of the season.
Flag
I have a feeling it will mean more Rachel drama, which bleh.
Flag
I don't know, the SEC seems like a pretty significant external force!
Flag
It would be nice if that were true.
Flag
Jessica got to have a sex life for a hot second before prioritizing her career and the thing that her firm likes to pretend is integrity.

I didn't see her decision to have to do with integrity... just that it never goes well.

As she saw with Harvey and Scottie... the dating your co-worker in this kind of job doesn't end well. So either the relationship dies in a flaming explosion of depression, or the work takes a hit perhaps catastrophically.

When someone in the mailroom screws up, it's no big deal. But when you're RUNNING the company... something impacting your work hurts the whole company. And she likes her company too much to let that happen.
Flag
So damn good!!!
Flag
because he has a soul and can’t bring himself to screw the poor rich people over. Lol, this show.

It isn't that Mike is trying to help the rich people, but the employees of their companies. Besides the example we saw, dialog with his boss suggests he constantly goes out of his way to save peoples' jobs.

But yeh, gotta laugh when someone is being yelled at by their boss for having a soul.
Flag
I found the whole episode kinda overwhelming.
Flag
How so?
Flag
The whole tension between Harvey and Mike felt too rushed and on top of that we've got a new romantic interest for Jessica.And he is already trying to become a partner. I just feel that too many things happened in only one episode. They just didn't give the viewers time to process everything.
Flag
It did seem a bit forced. I mean they were going to get there eventually. Why rush it.
Flag
And who doesn't love a little Princess Bride mixed in with thier Suits?
Flag
LOL, I liked how subtle it was this time. Even though Mike did force the emphasis on inconceivable.
Flag
Having Harvey's response before Mike's set up line was a nice touch
Flag
Agreed... both phrases together worked well.
Flag
Thanks Suits for seasons 1 thru 3 but i am not coming back for more.

Was a good show, back in the day.. But your Mar-Apr schedule conflicted with so many new shows it was hard to squeeze you in, let alone by 2015 when i anticipate even more new and better shows to come.
Flag
When John Newman's "Love me again" starts a show that's when you know it's gonna be great. It had me right to the finish. I wonder how Harvey would feel about Rachel's affair with his client....(Remember his parents.)
Flag
haha I know right that tune is Banging!!!!
Flag
I'm so excited about Suits' return, i like all the new stories especially Harvey VS Mike because that's gonna be interesting.
but come on Rachel and Jessica now have a story WHAT ABOUT DONNA ?
She (in my opinion) is more interesting than both of them, actually make that everyone on this show she needs a story PLEASE !!!
Flag
a: Rachel's reveal was very underwhelming. I saw it the second she said "Don't you mean Max".

B: Louis and Katrina FTW. I was very happy seeing Amanda Schull in the credits tonight. Louis will be late to the dance, but seeing them scheme is always fun. Mallone is gonna get LITT UP.

C: Donna likes to appear the moment she is needed. Mousse or no, Donna is always Donna. It is a name AND a title.

It was a good premiere episode. I loved the interpersonal drama more than the case of the week drama. Mike will fail with this bid and get fired and have to crawl back Pearson, Specter Litt.

Flag
The problem I have with Donna is that every time I see her walk in with those tight dresses and red hair, the Heavy Metal, smoke and wind michines crank up in my mind and I pay no attention to what is going on on the show.

For me and Donna, it is Twue Wuv
Flag
Donna is the main reason I watch Suits. Dangerous, deadly, but oooh so sexy. I have to rewind because I missed what happened when she is on screen, but so worth it. And NO ONE is fitter than Donna. You can tell by the tight dresses.
Flag
Yeah. She wasn't to pleased with the "more fit" comment. And I for one, would not mind judging that competition
Flag
She, like porn, is more appealing with the sound down.
Flag
Or maybe just some 'bow chicka bow wacka wacka"
Flag
HAHAHAHA.
Flag
Sarah Rafferty is gorgeous. As a many redheads, but remember Ed they are dangerous and that is why I have tried to give up on them.
Flag
It is rumored they are e-vil. Like the de-vil

And they have no soul.

I am cool with that.
Flag
LOVED IT!!!! (no katrina and Louis will never get old.)

Anyone else get the impression Mike at some point is going to use the affair to blackmail harvey's client into backing down, only for Rachel to find out and get pissy for a couple of episodes then forgive mike.
Flag
or it may spur Mike into acting rashly
Flag
Yea they kind of telegraphed that a bit.
Flag
"The outside influences are finally gone; it’s time for The Harvey and Jessica Show." - not really. Harvey client, Mr Sanders, (and as soon as I heard the name I thought KFC), is an outside influence - on Harveys relationship with Mike and Mikes relationship with Rachel - which will inevitably impact Jessica and Harveys relationship.
Rachel will probably be uncomfortable with Mr Sanders, (I could really go for some KFC right now), which will in turn impact her relationship with Harvey.
And if, true to form, Harvey acts like a dick, - but a dick with a heart for his co workers - and pisses off the billionaire client, this will lead to conflict with managing partner, Jessica.

Oh and I really like Louis and Katrina's relationship - its fresh right now compared to the usual pairings.
I think it would be fun if Katrina, Donna and Rachel hung out. Katrina and Rachel did have some nice chemistry late last season, so it would be interesting to see how Donna gels with them - I imagine it would lead to some funny scenes
Flag
Or it could be just Katrina and Donna hanging out...
Flag
Maybe get a little tipsy together when someone inevitably gets angry at the men in their lives
Flag
Re reading the story and then reading the comments - I get the feeling Mary Ann isn't paying attention when she watches. She was one of the few staff I read because she seemed to be a Suits fan ...but her reviews of late have been seriously inaccurate and off the mark.

This show is not True Detective. It isn't hard to get the gist.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members