A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E10: "This Is Rome"

Louis the villain is back and I couldn't be happier because Louis is awesome and frankly, Jessica and the gang kind of deserve what they're getting now that Louis has figured out Mike's big secret and knows what kind of influence that secret has had in personally screwing Louis over during the last few seasons. I need it to be winter right now, which is saying a lot about how much I dig the direction Suits has decided to go in, because I haaaaate winter. That's the kind of sacrifice I'm willing to make if it means we get to watch Louis being a BAMF. 

"This is Rome" was a twisty road that led to Louis's realization that he had nothing to lose. While Louis should've been a highly desirable candidate in the wake of his exit from Pearson Specter, the secrecy surrounding his departure and the fact that the by-laws he himself penned prohibited former employees from taking any client with them conspired to make Louis practically untouchable in the circles he sought to stay in. A guilty Harvey helped him land a gig in Cincinnati, but who wants to go to Cincinnati? Donna convinced Harvey to pull some strings in Boston so that Louis could be near Sheila, but Sheila, sensing that she was merely a consolation prize following Louis's career implosion, rejected his advances. Things looked increasingly bleak. And then Mike had to open his big dumb mouth. 

It was really only a matter of time before Louis discovered Mike's secret, and while I rallied for awhile behind the notion that everyone should just tell Louis the truth and let him into the clubhouse, this particular turn of events is much more appropriate and plausible. Mike may have a crazy photographic memory, but Harvard is an old school, steeped in tradition and nuance, and there are just some things you can't learn about a culture without experiencing it for yourself. As it happened, Mike badgered Louis about the meaning of a key that Mike found in Louis's box of office stuff—a key that, if Mike had really gone to Harvard and gotten the kinds of grades he claimed to have gotten, he would have absolutely known the meaning of.

Mike's slip with the key gave Louis the leverage he needed to confront Jessica, but it also brought Suits' cracked foundation back to the forefront in a manner that is much more satisfying than a mere paperwork snafu. The end of Season 3 danced around the issue of Mike's future and ultimately had him leave the firm for a career where advancement and acknowledgement were much more attainable realities than his sham over at Pearson Specter could offer. While this season saw Mike return to the firm with a shiny new title and a shiny new office, the fact remains that Mike's situation currently isn't any different than what it was before his ill-fated banking job. 

By rehiring Mike, Pearson Specter put itself back in the line of fire—and the fact that Louis was the one to spearhead that effort, only to turn around and be the one doing the shooting, is so delicious. That Mike was ultimately the one to betray himself highlights the flaw in the great facade that has been a threat from the very beginning: You can only lie for so long before the truth catches up to you. The important thing to remember here, as Louis wages war on his former friends and family, is that Louis didn't seek out proof of Mike's charade until Mike himself made a mistake. This isn't a case of badly forged paperwork or an outside force looking to attack. This is the weak spot in the defense finally collapsing, all on its own. 

Louis on the offense is exciting and it's been a long time coming, but watching him still burn all those bridges was painful—and however Suits manages to rebuild them when we return in a few months will be the highlight of the final six episodes of the season, particularly concerning how Louis-in-charge deals with Mike now that he knows the truth (and knows, deep down, that the solution isn't as simple as firing him).

"This is Rome" is one of the best mid-season finales in the Suits canon: Jessica was ruthless, Harvey was human, Mike and Rachel kept their interactions to a minimum. It highlighted the best of Suits' storytelling habits, focusing on the show's characters and their all too-human flaws rather than relying on yet another outside attack to foster conflict. 

Rome is burning, and the citizens of Rome have only themselves to blame. 

NOTES

– BUNK! HI BUNK!

– Katrina really grew on me and I was NOT okay when she was fired. You think Louis will use his leverage to save her?

– Like ouch, Sheila. 

– Donna was so fine in this episode. What a badass in the shooting range. 

– PEARSON SPECTER LITT. Yesssss. 

– Thanks for reading, kids! Catch you when I'm seven feet beneath a snowdrift and haven't seen the sun in weeks! <3

What did you think of the finale? What do you hope to see when we return? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/20/2016

Season 6 : Episode 2

Next Episode

AIRS ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

216 Comments
Comments (216)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This is what I don't understand. From what I've seen, nowhere did Louis make the "Mike didn't go to Harvard and everyone knows" and "Mike committed a felony by presenting himself as a lawyer without legally being allowed" connection. Therefore his only leverage against Jessica is that she hired a non Harvard lawyer and lied about it, the revelation of which would just be embarrassing for Jessica, not have any legal ramifications (she's already waived the Harvard requirement once). I have a hard time believing that Louis would actually make this move with so little leverage. He has to know he has little leverage, it's a pure shot in the dark, but I guess he doesn't see himself with an option better than a total shot in the dark. I still find it lacking.
If Jessica gives him what he wants to shut him up and prevent further digging, all that's going to do is point him in the right direction to find out the real truth (he'll be wondering why she caved, and knowing him, if something doesn't feel right, he will dig and dig).
Flag
Louis doesn't know for sure that Mike isn't a real lawyer, but he now knows for sure that he has falsely represented himself as a "Harvard" educated lawyer. I'm pretty sure falsely representing yourself with made up credentials like that is illegal, especially if it is what your job requirements are based on. Also if that part is a fraud then its not a hard jump to make that he isn't an actual lawyer at all.
Flag
Sick ass episode. Louis getting mad for real it's absolutely awesome. :)
Flag
And one more observation: why isn't Jessica sorry?? I get that she's saying she allowed the Mike - Harvey fraud to go on without a word bc she was protecting the firm. So not sorry there. And she forgave Harvey for all his misdeeds bc it was in the best interests of the firm. So far so good. She's not sorry for all that. That I get. But why isn't she sorry for firing Louis? He's made his share of mistakes but are his errors worse than Harvey's or hers? And every entity needs a Louis Litt. What he doesn't have in natural style he makes up for with impeccable attention to detail. What he doesn't have in the art of persuasion he makes up for with sheer force of will and dogged determination. While he doesn't have the closing skills of Harvey, he has insane billable hours. And his loyalty is that of a fierce pit bull who relentlessly protects his loved ones and despises the enemies of his friends. Without a Louis Litt, Jessica has a partnership with a maverick willing to side with her when it suits his purposes, at best, and a rival who once attempted to dethrone her, at worst. So again, why isn't she sorry?!?!
More+
Flag
PEARSON, SPECTOR, LITT!!!!!
Flag
It has a ring to it. About time Louis, about time...
Flag
A number of things on this episode really bugged me.
Harvard does not have a chapter of the order of the coif so Luis would not have one.
Given Mikes Eidetic memory you honestly expect the viewers to believe he did not google everything about Harvard and law awards as his safety depended on it.
And finally, for me this is kinda the biggie, it is known that Louis is a member of a gun club and sees it as an outlet for negative feelings, yet they have zero security at a prestigious law firm who has fired him! Honestly then just wanders around to harass senior staff, yeah right.
Flag
Don't you know it's just a TV show
Flag
What its not real! you cannot be series! As Carter would say though its a pretty glaring error, or three. :-)
Flag
Rooting for Louis and Katrina.

Jessica is just a b*tch and Harvey has been such a douche.
Flag
Season 5
Louis = Darth Sidious (tortoise shell lightsaber)
Katrina = His dark apprentice (mauve lightsaber)
Flag
Louis gonna become Daniel , and i don't wanna see it -_-
Flag
Yeah. There's got to be some mutual jail thing to stop Louis lording threats over Jessica and Harvey but it can't be pretty from now on. One of the things that was fun about Louis was his quirks but now I bet it's all going dark and the humour will be missed.
Flag
Good ep. Few fav observations:
Mike getting love from Jessica in her office again. they really like each other.
Donna aka Annie Oakley (a bit much even for her).
Harvs rehab stint is working (he's less monster-more human).
Louis panics like he didn't take that mil from fortsman. He has money.
Louis has had a good run since S3. Good job RH.
Jeff must have had the day off, missed all that drama. (stay for Jess)
Just a thought Louis-if you're gonna take a swipe at the biggest tiger-ess in the house you want to KO them or at least make them bend. He did that (Litt-Up) trick to Donna & left her shaken & in tears. He tries it with Jessica but the result was different. Jessica sat down so she could look him eye to eye then stood up & rained on his litt-up parade. I thought she was going to snatch his heart out through his belly button. With all the energy & snarling he ended up looking emotionally bankrupt & out of control.
I have 2 words for Jessica--Unapologetic Swagger!!!
Good job Suits-gonna miss ya.

Flag
I think Mike would know the so-called ins and outs of Harvard Law School culture. Even if there's no actual Order of the Coif at "real" Harvard, Mike would've known the accolades that go along with his fake degree at fictional Harvard. Mike even begins the episode by looking for work from Harvey to make him indispensable to the firm. He is paranoid about being found out and being dispensable. Given that his livelihood and profession depend on his fraud, coupled with his eidetic memory, he would've learned about the key and retained that info through study of HLS culture. That's why I think it would've been more convincing if Louis had confided in Sheila and mentioned Mike Ross and then Sheila did some research in her HLS files and asked Louis why PS hired a non - Harvard lawyer.
As far as Louis having no leverage because Jessica equally has dirt on Louis because of the Forsman deal, that's not quite accurate. Louis has lost his job.
He cannot find a senior partner position in the city he loves. He's borderline suicidal. He doesn't have anything to lose with regard to blowing up the whole PS edifice. Rick Hoffman's facial expressions in the last scene are that of a wild, caged animal ready to have the fight of his life. And we all know that Louis is a highly emotional character. He'll bring down the whole damn show with him if he has to. Jessica, on the other hand, clearly has everything to lose. Everything she's built would be in jeopardy if Louis goes to the Bar about Mike. So Louis certainly has leverage over her. So it will be "PEARSON SPECTER LITT!!!!"
More +
Flag
Donna was crying because Donna actually cares for Louis. Even though Donna and Jessica are both strong women, Donna has a soul. That's the big difference between them. Those tears she was crying weren't there just because she "got caught" -they were there because of Ophelia, and all the other great moments she's had with Louis since he's started to become a human being. They were there because she was losing a friend.
Jessica didn't say she was sorry because she isn't. She never is. All she cares about is winning. I've really enjoyed seeing the differences between Harvey and Jessica as the show progresses. I know he secretly had a soul all along, but I think Mike being in his life has really brought it out of him even more. I kind of hope, in the end, it's everyone vs. Jessica. I think she might be the real villain of the piece.
Flag
Agreed with everything. I'd like to see everyone vs. Jessica as well.
Flag
Great acting job by Rick Hoffman, revealing the monster that Louis really is.
Good riddance to Katrina, just a Donna clone without the narcissistic swagger. Definitely time for Rachel to go, but she will not. Mike has become a crushing bore, wimpish and arrogant at the same time. Kudos
to Jessica for not bowing and scraping in front of Louis.
Flag
Louis is not a monster! He's finally using the leverage he has; up until this point he's been great at playing the legal game (finding loopholes, work-arounds, etc.), but this is the first time he's really started playing the political game. Harvey and Jessica have been doing it for ages, so it's only fair that Louis gets in on it too.
Also, not only do I love Katrina but she and Donna are nothing alike, aside from being brilliant, loyal, and gorgeous. They have completely different motives and have completely different relationships with their respective bosses. And they're both awesome.
Flag
This was one of the worst! I don't get why people think it was so awesome. Firstly, for 98% of the episode was some grunt work, building up to the finale cliffhanger which felt like "a cheap shot" or a way out really. I mean, i liked the idea that he was going to boston but by no means did i enjoy a FULL episode about trying to get Louis a job. The end seemed a little interesting at first with Louis back to the villain, but him finding out Mike's secret was just boring and to be honest a little cheap. Instead of this grand implosion or some other way of having Mike exposed that was more creative, they went with this approach. I'm tired of mike's secret being the COMPLETE issue of the show. In fact the whole season so far has been that way, I liked the investment banking section but it ended too quickly. I had hoped perhaps Mike would join with forsman and then somehow be forced to betray harvey or put in a situation that would make things interesting, not a whole season about how he comes back and spend 40 minutes trying to help get Louis a job. There were better ways of exposing MIke than a simple key story although Louis mad is fun to watch and adds a bit of drama. All in all, I'd say one of the worst season finale (mid-season). Ruined by the lack of depth into investment banking and Forsman (although i liked walter gillis reunion camio), and Mike/Rachel relationship drama, and the only thing I enjoyed was the idea that Louis would leave and get the respect? he deserved and maybe go head to head with Jessica. Instead I got 40 minutes of running around finding Louis a job before he somehow finds out Mike didn't go to Harvard leading to a cliffhanger. This isn't the first time Suits has sort of cheapened out, last season for the finale (or before finale can't remember) they built it up to make it seem like Mike's secret was found out when really it was some thing to do with Harvey. And the promo for this made it seem like Mike did something horrible, when it wasn't even remotely climactic. The end felt like an attempt to save the show, to end on a high note and they could have at least built up to it in a more climactic way. Used to love this show, but lately it's just been prolonging itself trying to find new material recycling old lines and plots.
More+
Flag
Some of this refers to this season as opposed to only the mid-season finale, and the episode last season referring to is the one where mike is arrested. It turned out he was being questioned about Harvey.
Flag
I am totally tired of the Mike story. It was awfully ridicululous and hard to watch from the beginning but I kept watching because I always liked brainy characters and I liked Harvey, Donna and Louis. But Louis began to bother me and now I just can't stand the sight of him. Harvey, Mike and Donna tried to help him and now he is against them...awful. I want him gone right now. And I want to show to rely more on Mike's memory and less in Mike's girlfriend issues.
Flag
Oh my god! What a episode!
One of the best ever! No doubt!

And Louis Litt? Please can someone throw some awards at this guy?
Flag
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Solio… I'm sooo tired of the Mike's not a "real" lawyer thing. I've always thought, why doesn't he just go pass the bar?? That way he's "legal". He wouldn't be a "Harvard grad", but at least the firm couldn't get into any legal problems. He could have spent all this time at NYU or somewhere in NY on a discreet basis and graduated with a law degree in no time… especially if he's as smart as his character is supposed to be. I like this show a lot, but I now find Mike's dilemma tedious,
Flag
Didn't you watch the episode where Mike himself tells Harvey about what you just said? It wouldn't work because the crime has already been committed. Getting a law degree now doesn't change that he has already practised without one, the dates are proof enough, so he may as well leave it as it is. And you can't do the Bar without a law degree, which is why he had to have his details hacked in even though he sat and passed the Bar for a bet. Essentially, the firm was in legal trouble the moment he took on a case.
Flag
I could understand people being sick of the Mike not being a real lawyer thing, if it weren't THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF THE SHOW!! It's like the people who watch the Vampire Diaries and complain about the show being about the love triangle. (yes I watch teeny bopper vampire shows. Sue me.) It's the PREMISE! Now, I agree, that the story should be not JUST about that. But it shouldn't be phased out entirely. With Mike not even working at Pearson/Spector, and not being a lawyer, they kinda forgot what the show was about. I mean, it was like watching an episode of MacGyver where he didn't build anything from scratch, or watching an episode of Mr. Ed where the horse didn't say anything. You can't forget the gimmick of the show! And I thought this was a brilliant way to bring it back in the forefront in a new way.
Flag
"why doesn't he just go pass the bar?? That way he's "legal"."

First off, you can't just go sit for the bar. In most states, including NY, you have to be a graduate of an ABA accredited law school to sit for the bar exam. Mike isn't eligible to sit for the bar exam.

Second, passing the bar exam isn't all there is to it. There's also the "C&F exam", or character and fitness requirements. They look into your entire adult life to see if you're the type of person who cheats and steals. Besides the obvious "pretended to be a lawyer for several years, when I wasn't one" disqualification, there's also "took exams for other people" one. Mike will NEVER be properly admitted to the bar. THAT'S why he doesn't.
Flag
Poll

Flag
I don't know if can take this crap anymore (Mike's secret), I am really inching towards dropping the series.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I don't think it's really going to be a major storyline, aside from Louis using it as his leverage to get his foot back in the door (and his name on the wall).
Flag
FRICKIN FANTASTIC!!! That was so damn awesome, absolutely loved it!
And I seriously hope Katrina will be back too (starring in the new 12 Monkey's series hopefully won't interfere) because she is just as awesome as Louis. And boy can Rick Hoffman act! That final scene deserves an emmy!
Flag
"Thanks for reading, kids! Catch you when I'm seven feet beneath a snowdrift and haven't seen the sun in weeks! &3"

This just Litt my day up!
Flag
Praises are beyond for this series. I dont know if there is other show that has so many complicated twist and turn within an episode but not once i felt lost with all the legal blabs. This is a very admirable montage of quick witty scenes its like watching tennis. The best part 4 me is Katrina. How she sided with louis without any hesitation. This is the kind of thing the other team lacks. The upront unquestiobable loyalty. Almost Harvey-Donnaish. Exept Donna always knows Harvey will win. Katrina experienced multiple downs with Louis and it didnt shake her. I want her to be back. She is a better partner to Mike. Remember the awkward moment when Mike returned? That was a very emotionaly charged scene without even having to make it sensual or sexual. Donna hit the worst guilt and Louis was the best performance. That last scene with Jessica, him spelling out the firm's name was magnificent. The anger and the exitment of able to release all you disapointment was pure range. Jessica able to held her ground was unbelivable. She is power in flesh. Cant wait for winter.
Flag
You know, a friend of mine once told me, if you treat a person like a dog long enough, they'll start acting like a dog. Even though Jessica and Harvey are nice to Louis sometimes, their disrespect for him always shines through. Louis must have always felt that. He loved that firm and got nothing in return. The only one who truly changed their mind about Louis and actually acted like it was Donna, which is why it was beautiful and fitting that she was the one that put the final pieces together for Louis and bore the first wave of his anger. Her sadness was real, because she likes and actually respects Louis. Good for Louis for doing what he did. This is the kind of firm theyve become since Mike joined. The morally ambiguous kind and Louis has already shown that he belongs in it. So now... get his name on the door! (And get rid of Mike, but I've been wanting that since the S1 finale)
As for Jessica, I cant help but love how she is so unapologetic. When Louis walked in there, he and we thought he had he upper hand. But Jessica did not back down. So fucking awesome.

And one last thing... PLEASE BRING KATRINA BACK!
More+
Flag
He's not going to get his name on the door.
Yes, he has information that could get Jessica disbarred. But she has information that could get Louis disbarred, as well... and as usual, Louis forgot about that and overplayed his hand, which is why his name doesn't belong on the door.
Flag
If Suits doesn't make this happen, I will be supremely dissapointed. They've been setting this up the whole season, hell you could even argue that Louis' character development towards this point started in episode 1. We've seen time and time again that is just as good as the others. And Jessica knows that, she just never saw him as an equal. Or at least not equal to Harvey.
I guess what i'm trying to say is, if Louis doesn't get his name on the door... what was the point of all of all of this? It cant be Pearson Specter vs Litt. Louis doesnt have the Juice for that. Plus we as the viewer, as well as the other characters, no longer see Louis as mainly a villain. So where would they go with him? Going backwards would negate 4 seasons of character development.
I obviously don't know what's going to happen, but I would like to see Louis get his name up there. I think it could provide for an interesting new dynamic and great story telling.
Flag
There's good, and there's vital. A good lawyer can handle the work given to them. But the vital ones are the ones who can secure new business for the firm. You get to be a name partner when people are asking you to handle their work by name. Harvey has that, and Jessica has had it for a long time, but Louis, apparently, is not that good at it (Harvey scooped up a wayward client away from Louis... and none of Louis clients insisted on staying with him (OK, the writers apparently didn't know that that could happen, and wrote around it.)

Louis is good, but not name partner good. This whole episode, did you see Louis EVER consider going out and starting his own firm? No? That's why he won't be a name partner.
Flag
Not that anybody cares, but it's actually illegal for a law firm partnership agreement to prevent lawyers from taking clients with them if/when they leave.
The client decides who their lawyer is, period. Anything that gets in the way of that, is void.
Flag
It might have something to do with the lawyer itself going after the clients? Louis went to Harveys client and signed him, and it wasnt implied that he would be breaking the agreement. It might only be that if you leave Pearson Specter, you're not allowed to inform them AFTER Pearson Specter has already informed them you're leaving and they themselves decided to stay?
I don't know, just guessing, but there seemed to be ways around it as it was portrayed in this episode ;)
Flag
I honestly had no idea!
Flag
Oh Louis, how I love thee. Oh, Rick Hoffman, how I love thee...

Seriously, this was by far the best summer finale in the shows 4 seasons. Why? Minimum Mike/Rachel scenes, a case of the week that ties the beginning case of the season that has a PLAUSABLE resolution (though it once again had a lawyer apologizing to his client, this case being Mike, though it wasn't as obnoxiously simple as the season 3 finale), great banter with Mike and Harvey, and, above all, a Louis-centered episode with PERFECT acting by Mr. Hoffman as well as Miss Schull, who showed Louis the most loyalty an employee can give her boss knowing full well what the consequences were. She did get canned in a scene extremely difficult to watch, but I don't think she'll be gone for long.

So Louis knows Mike's secret at last. He also knows that Jessica kept Harvey on after discovering the fraud (though he doesn't know that Harvey used Hardman's return as leverage to keep him and Mike around) yet was willing to fire Louis after she found out his fraud, cementing that Jessica will ALWAYS favor Harvey. His rage at everyone is justified, and I am interested in seeing how he uses this knowledge to his advantage. He realizes that everyone sees him as a joke no matter what he does, so I see him transform into Dark Louis, a rage-fueled man out to make the lives of everyone around him miserable. Dark Louis probably has forced Jessica to rehire him, since going to the police and putting Jess, Mike, Harvey, and Donna in prison would mean the end of the series, and merely firing Mike would mean the end of the series as well. No, Season 1 Louis would do that in an instant because he despised Mike. Season 2 and 3 Louis would do that as well, since he put the firm first. But Dark Louis will make it known that he knows Mikes secret and pretty much use it to make Mike his personal slave, and if Harvey protests then Louis could just threaten to go to the police. I can actually see Louis and Katrina having tea together using Mike as a table, Harvey forced to do tricks as a jester and Donna, Rachel, and Jessica as barmaids. Dark Louis could potentially make Hardman look like a saint in comparison!

9.99 out of 10. Near perfection. My only gripe is that Forstman, after all the trouble he caused this season, doesn't get any comeuppance, a rarity with arc villains during the midseason finale. I can only hope that he's #4 on Dark Louis's hit list after Jessica, Harvey, and Mike (in that order.)
More+
Flag
I'm waiting for the day when it's Specter and Litt. That would be glorious!
Flag
Katrina grew on me too and I hate that she was fired. Jessica is B and needs to go. I totally love Louis but ultimately if everyone would have just gotten out of Harvey's way he would have taken care of it all.
Flag
God. Donna is the hottest thing ever. And Louis is diabolic supervillian.
Flag
It was a really good season but, really wasn't feeling the cliffhanger. I'm not saying it was a bed episode but if you compare to other suits cliffhangers it doesn't compare. I'm a big Harvey and Mike fan, looking so good
Flag
BUNK! HI BUNK!

And I'm saying it again: me - team Louis. No explanation mark this time though.

And actually I disagree with the whole "the lie is catching up" thing. It's been Donna who let down the guards in this case. Mike, being directly confronted by Louis, would have swindled his way out of this, maybe just by saying: "I know what the key is, I want you to remember all of Harvard and appreciate the little signs we have seen..." or something similar. (offtext: and tbh - everyone does now know about the key, so this is a big secret? - Hell, I could be a Mike Ross now?)

I also disagree with Mike's "big dumb mouth". First: it's the writers', second they prove he doesn't have been falling on that one (see Harvey - Mike in the Restaurant on the pissing challenge - awesome writing, acting, editing, just hilarious).

Forecast:
Winter is always Summer elsewhere, so don't get depressed.
Pearson Spector Litt might happen though what would come from it? A clash on the Senior level? Not amusing, no. Suits and it's characters worked always by the hierarchy, the low-end Ross, the middle-wanna-be-big Litt and the "recently" upgraded Spector und the all-observing Pearson (JASMINE! HI JASMINE! - anyone?). So what good will come from an elevated Louis? He's the character a lot of people are feeling with, can relate. Taking that away would kill a character not exactly George R. R. Martin-style and in a worse effect. So rethink what the season finale brings and remember: Winter is coming!

Oh, and just to wrap this up: anyone noticed Harvey's tie? I totally dig the way he's binding it and admired the dent in the middle under the binding. Kudos, wardrobe consultant!
More+
Flag
Other than getting his name on the wall, not much would change. He still wouldn't have any real power in the firm, and you can only push "do it my way or I'll tell" for so long... ask anyone with younger siblings.
The real news from this episode was that Louis apparently permanently burned his bridges with Sheila.
Flag
I knew Louis would be back. Didn't expect it so soon, but I called it that he would be back.
Flag
You and approximately everyone else.
Flag
If this was the best episode of the season, I am so glad I didn't watch any of the others, except the premiere. Was under whelmed by the opener, thought I would catch the finale, ho hum. didn't watch season 3 and probably won't watch any more.
Flag
I'm not sure what you expect. Maybe listen to yourself better and you won't find yourself watching things you don't like.
Flag
I think I'm in the minority here, but I didn't find this final all that exciting...Hats off to Rick Hoffman though, he's been the MVP of the show in the 4th season, and quite honestly I persisted with the series in season 4 primarily because of him...
But Louis finding out Mike's secret was building up for a while, so I found it a little underwhelming to be honest... and Louis was always going to ask for name partner, so that wasn't a surprise..
Great acting by Harvey and Louis in this episode, but plot wise, nothing really substantial or overly dramatic...

Flag
A very Lewis-centric episode. Lewis was a badass person, even though he is scheming most of the time, it's him fighting for things he deserve, the last episode with his resignation shows that he is only doing them because he is not the chosen son of his beloved firm-family. I look forward to see if his blackmail wins or Lewis now gets into a deeper sh*t position.

I still want Katrina on board. She tried all over the episode to tell Lewis that she has feelings for him (and don't tell me that she isn't a better one than Sheila), but that will be discussed maybe in the rest episodes of the season (assuming Lewis don't get imprisoned or worse).

Donna on the other hand, she does thing because she has to (proven a lot with Harvey) but she needs to win Lewis's trust back if she is truly a friend. She could be the one who saves him in the end -- friendly.

Mike as a deus ex machina really shakes up things everywhere. With Zane, with the investor meeting and ultimately with Lewis. Even though he is considered "prodigy" he still screws up unwillingly.
Flag
HIGHLY doubt Katrina has romantic feelings for Louis. She's apparently seeing someone (she mentioned it in the season premier) and her devotion to him seems to be of a highly loyal knight to a king. He took her in when she had nowhere to go (Harvey told her he didn't want her and would end her career as a lawyer if she tried anything else) and for that she'd do anything for him professionally.
Flag
Could go either way, but she looked like she wants Lewis, how else would you explain the fact that she wanted to lose her job for him?
Flag
Again, LOYALTY. Harvey and Mike risk their jobs for each other all the time. And THEY don't love each other... contrary to all the Harvey/Mike fanfiction on the web. If anything Katrina's romantic affections should go toward Mike, since they're roughly the same age and working together made Rachel jealous. (Plus Katrina's awkward hug when Mike came back was adorable.)
Flag
Wow! What an episode! I just got into this season. Gotta get the back episodes in my library. I can see why this is the best legal drama on TV.
Flag
Best legal drama once you completely suspend your disbelief because the premise is totally inaccurate and they keep making errors in basic law (not even the tricky stuff.) Either they need a legal advisor for the writers or the writers need to start listening to the one they got.
Flag
The best episode of the entire series in my opinion. It felt like fifteen minutes and I was surprised at how fast it felt. Litt rules.
Flag
This was the best episode thus far of the season. It didn't even need all of the well acted parts, which were quite good. But all it really needed was that this episode had the least amount of Mike and Rachell.

As for Katrina, it depends on how well 12 Monkeys does of SciFi.
Flag
I wanted to see Pearson Specter Litt as much as the next guy if not more. But not like this. Having Louis essentially blackmail his way to the top? No thank you.
Flag
That's how this business works. Litt needs to be as ruthless as Jessica and Harvey if he wants his name on the wall.
Flag
Hardman was just as ruthless, and where'd his name go?
Flag
Another sad thing, was that it sounded like HAD Louis re-arranged his schedule with his favor... he might have won his ex back. At least based on one of her comments.

Which is sad.
Flag
Louis gave up Sheila for Mike, who he found out was a fraud, and much of the reason for his unfair treatment in recent years (how long has Mike been working there??). So sad :/
Flag
Actually, I think Louis's personal relations with the rest of the firm improved with Mike's arrival.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Mike fan.

But Louis stopped acting like a huge jerk due to some of his interactions and conversations with Mike. Also, since Mike's arrival his relationship with Donna and Rachel grew. Even Harvey was willing to act nicer to him... when he wasn't pissed at Louis for messing up.

But yeh, Mike has ruined things for a lot of people
Flag
Well, He stopped acting like a huge jerk and now just acts like a large one.
Flag
Presently... yes. Mike is responsible for Louis turning into the Hulk.

But at the start of Season 1 he was an incredible jerk. Harvey couldn't stand him, and rightfully so.

Louis wasn't "new," he'd been around for a while... longer than Harvey. And yet he was still like this.

Then Mike came along and within a few months Louis started mellowing out and within a year or so was making friends at the firm. Much of this happened after their interactions. So I give Mike a little credit for helping Louis mellow.
Flag
Pearson. Specter. LITT!!!!
I want it and I want it NOW!
Flag
I instantly thought of this video when I read your comment-

http://youtu.be/1pm4fQRl72k
Flag
Well, you get me hahaha... all I could think of watching Louis demand from Jessica was how awesome (and cheesytastic) would be to have had this song as background music :D
Flag
I'm glad that song didn't start playing.

I mean, Queen is one of the few bands that can get my blood pumpin' and my foot tappin' no matter what. If they would have paired that with a part from Suits (a "Louis being a badass" part no less)?

I probably would've died from the sheer awesomeness of it all.
Flag
Flag
Best part of the episode: Harvey and Mike's dinner conversation and that they went out to celebrate. #2 Louis and Donna and then Louis with Jessica.
Flag
the end to the episode was beyond perfect. Can't wait for the winter now. Jessica won't be the last person to get Litt up
Flag
He's not going to get what he wants, because he now has the same problem they do... he knows Mike's secret, and didn't tell the bar association.

Plus, they can drop a dime on the Forstman deal, and there is NO faster ticket to disbarment than mishandling the client's money.
Flag
I think Jessica is going to make him senior partner still. Its not too late for Louis to still go report Mike, even if he saw Jessica first, so shes really not in a position to negotiate. And she can bring up the Forstman deal, but still, she'll end up a loser.
Flag
He was already a senior partner.

If he goes to the bar now, he gets burned, too... on both Mike and Forstman. Jessica gets burned, on not turning in Mike OR Louis. Ditto for Harvey. These are disbarment-worthy offenses.

It's mutual assured destruction... if one goes down, they all go down.
Flag
This episode was the best acted of the series so far and the ending curve ball was the best cliffhanger I have seen in years. Suits is the nest scripted series since West Wing went off the air a decade ago. This show overflows with tension, conflict and sexuality.
Flag
You know, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens in the winter episodes, yeah, and all, but...but...but...

I kept dreaming Louis would go to Bunk's law office and they would wage )(professional) war to the other people! HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!
Flag
Very
Flag
Louis has been a screwup for the last 2 seasons, and this episode really crystalized all that, so I no longer allow any high-horse for his actions or even his villainy. Throwing job after job away was too much.

Donna barely had anything to do, Jessica remained useless unless you consider bellowing like an buffoon useful, Mike once again screwed up (like he wouldn't have read up on Harvard traditions), and the only saving grade was virtually no Mike/Rachel crap.

How can you fire Katrina? She blackmailed her way into the firm.

Anyway, this was an entertaining episode but very light on sense.
Flag
You know, that's an interesting question about the Katrina firing.

If I recall correctly, she blackmailed (or did she make a deal?) Harvey, to get her job, by using something Mike did. Right?

So, you'd think she still had that leverage? However, I can only assume she took Jessica's firing in stride because Jessica knew she had a hand in (or knowledge of) Louis' illegal actions.
Flag
Yeah, she found out that Mike did some shady thing with a client's DUI or something along those lines, and used it to essentially blackmail Harvey to getting an associate's position. There's no reason to think she wouldn't still have that leverage, and IIRC, an investigation into that situation would unravel Mike's secret.

You make a good point that Katrina's knowledge of Louis' illegal act might balance it out, but at the same time Katrina isn't really in any direct danger there so it could also reflect badly upon the firm, giving her essentially a nuclear option.
Flag
"Katrina's knowledge of Louis' illegal act might balance it out, but at the same time Katrina isn't really in any direct danger there "

Incorrect. Lawyers have an ethical duty to report unethical behavior of other lawyers to the bar. You can get away with it if the firm has an ethics counsel and you can prove you consulted with the ethics counsel; Katrina didn't do that, either. She'd get AT LEAST a year's suspension.
Flag
"IF Louis hadn't gone and blackmailed Jessica, would he have been held accountable for anything? Would his hiring Mike back to the firm, even though he didn't have knowledge of his fraud, put him in hot water?"

Louis was a senior partner, but not a managing partner. As Mike did not report to him, the penalties for not reporting him are not as severe. They would haev been none at all had he gone straight to the bar when he found out. It's knowing and not telling the bar that gets you in trouble.

Objectively, Louis would have been better off to take Katrina and form Litt and associates, and scrounge up some new clients. A vengeful Jessica could be held at bay with the secret, or he could play dumb and burn through Forstman's money until she got distracted. Then wait until he and Harvey were competing for something to torpedo him, and Mike, by some kind of third-party complaint to the bar.

Or he could have jumped ship to the SEC. A much lower paycheck, but he'd be fairly well insulated from blowback from P-S (aren't they the guys who were being investigated last week?) AND that matches up with his skill set.
Or, he could burn everyone including himself, retire on Forstman's money, or go work as a compliance officer in a F500 corporation.
More +
Flag
" If that's the case with Katrina, what would Harvey, Jessica, Donna, and Rachel get? Could you let us know what their punishments might look like in the real world?"

Harvey and Jessica are looking at disbarment for Mike's secret, or disbarment for Louis's secret (in other words, their legal careers are over if either secret surfaces.)

Donna is in the clear... she's not a lawyer, so the bar has no authority over her. Legal ethics apply to lawyers, and people who want to be lawyers.

Rachel would likely be disqualified from admittance (which at least saves her a couple years of tuition.) Disqualification from admittance can be reviewed later; disbarments are rarely reversed. So Rachel might still be able to become a lawyer.

The firm Pearson Spector would be dissolved; non-lawyers can't own law firms. The lawyers and support staff would have to find new jobs BUT they might, possibly hold on to some of the clients, which makes them more hireable as laterals.
Flag
The firm would have to PROVE that though, and then they'd have to report her to the state bar. Katrina has already shown she's not ethical enough to admit it.
Flag
Hey, doc. If that's the case with Katrina, what would Harvey, Jessica, Donna, and Rachel get? Could you let us know what their punishments might look like in the real world?

-What would Harvey and Jessica be looking at?

-Would Donna get in any trouble at all, since she's (it kills me to say this) just a secretary?

-What type of trouble would Rachel get into, as a law student?

-If Louis hadn't gone and blackmailed Jessica, would he have been held accountable for anything? Would his hiring Mike back to the firm, even though he didn't have knowledge of his fraud, put him in hot water?

Thanks for any answers.
Flag
at this point I just assume if any of the characters rat on each other, they are all going down with the ship, lol. So many illegal things go on at that firm.
Flag
Everyone seems annoyed with Mike for his lack of information about Harvard. Maybe the writers should be doing some fact checking because Harvard Law Schoool does not a have a chapter of the Order of the Coif...

http://www.orderofthecoif.org/COIF-members.htm
Flag
The writers kind of assume that you don't know anything about law and won't do any fact-checking, because they routinely get details wrong. Like, for example, the many, many, many times over all involved would be disbarred for the ethics violations they display. Except for Mike. Mike wouldn't be disbarred, because he isn't admitted to the bar, and never would be. He wouldn't get past the "character and fitness" review, because taking tests for other people.
Flag
Agreed, it doesn't actually exist.

But shows don't exactly follow our real-life rules or history. Maybe Michael Dukakis won the Presidential election in 88. Maybe GM never needed a bail-out. Maybe Harvard agreed to join up in this world.

That being said... the writers should have picked some other plot device. I'm SURE there is some special Harvard fact that they could have used to let Louis figure it out instead of making one up.
Flag
Does it matter?

They used something, that actually exists (just not at Harvard), as a plot device to finally get Louis in the know.

I would much rather them stick to something believable, though not accurate, than make something ridiculous up.
Flag
Also hoping Katrina returns Maryann! I think she's grown on everyone. And she's undeniably loyal, so it would be sad to see her be the biggest loser of this episode if she doesnt return and ends up jobless.
Flag
Her interaction with Mike when he came back was very funny and cute. I especially loved the awkward hug on Katrina's part.
Flag
One hell of a fucking episode! I got goosebumps all over my body like a fucking rash. Do you think he's going to get his name on the door?
Flag
No. At least I hope not.
Flag
So Louis gets what he wants, but now he's pretty much burned all the people he wanted as friends.
Also, he will have lost the thing he craves most, - respect from his co workers.
Louis is actually a decent person though, so I suspect there will be several episodes of people hating him while he tries to earn their respect and affections back.
Flag
He isn't going to get what he wants.
He has dirt on Jessica, but Jessica has dirt on him. Mutually Assured Destruction prevents a first strike. Louis MIGHT get his old job back, but probably not, and he'd be lucky to get that.
Flag
But that's the thing--he *isn't* a decent person. He's an envious tyrant with sensitivity issues. Harvey made senior partner? He's slighted. Harvey made name partner? He's slighted. He needs affirmation every step of the way, despite being in a position that most people would be overjoyed to be in. Junior partner at a top-tier law firm? No, not enough! That jerk jock down the hall made senior partner! I want it too! SENIOR partner at a top-tier law firm? STILL not enough! That jerk jock down the hall just got his name on the wall! Name partner at a top tier law firm? STILL not enough! That jerk jock down the hall is banging that gorgeous redhead!

At the end of the day, no matter how much he's given, Louis doesn't measure it in an absolute sense--he measures it against what *others* have. And what Harvey has, in this case, isn't something that could be won through hard work, or Machiavellian blackmail. Harvey has something that comes from *gasp* caring for others. And at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, Louis cares about Louis, because he thinks that nobody else does, and then the way he acts makes it so that this is justified.

He's his own self-fulfilling damnation.
More +
Flag
Season 1 Louis was a tyrant and a big ass-kisser, but season 2 started to show a method to hs madness and how, if you give him a chance, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Louis did ALL the associates work in one night just to prove that everything can be done by one person and the work he gives them is essential to being a good lawyer, Mike worked well with him when Louis called in Harvey's bet, Louis stopped what he was doing to patch Mike up after Tess's husband beat him up, and, in the best and worst episode of Season 3, "I Want You To Want Me," Louis proved to be a MUCH better boss than Harvey ever was up to that point, spending hours side by side with Mike on research, taking him mudding when they had their first setback, and even baking Mike a cake when Mike accepted Louis's offer to be his associate. (And then Harvey, who had been a dick to Mike all season, said "come back and Mike INSTANTLY forgave him and left Louis in the dust) Louis is a very emotional person and he even acknowledged that he can't work on cold logic like Harvey can. Most of Harvey's mistakes have been based on his ego, he thinks he's the greatest guy in the world and if someone proves him wrong he gets snitty. Louis cares too much about people and desperately wants them to like hm back and that's been used against time and again. I think that last episode pushed him to his breaking point and this episode finally made him snap, and making him realize that no matter what he will do Harvey will ALWAYS be favored over him (as seen when Jessica forgave Harvey for conspiring against her with Darby, something that would've gotten him fired the moment he confessed), and in order to stop being the but of jokes he has to leave his humanity at the door and become Season 1 Louis again, only much, much worse, because HE KNOWS MIKE'S A FRAUD NOW!
More +
Flag
Eh...that's the thing, it's not about leaving his humanity at the door. It's about A) not screwing up in the clutch and B) not being a rat bastard. When Louis succeeds, he gets legitimate compliments and praise from Harvey and Jessica. It's just that he wants to be seen as Harvey's equal, and no matter how much blackmailing he does, or how much he leaves his humanity at the door, Jessica's forever going to see him as that short, chubby, angry, inconsistent, socially awkward man at the firm.

I feel that for Louis, it's not so much about getting Harvey's respect, as it is *being Harvey*, and I can definitely relate to this since I felt the same kind of thing when I was younger and bullied throughout k-12, but at the end of the day, Louis doesn't seem to have his own self-respect. His entire self-worth comes from the opinions of a select few people. Yes, he wants to be liked and respected, but he has next to zero self love, or self-respect, despite being a senior partner at a top-tier Manhattan firm. And because of that inferiority complex, that gaping hole in his self-confidence, he tries far too hard to impress, and bites off more than he can chew.

And because he's done that quite a few times, he just *can't* be seen in the same light as Harvey. Unfortunately, Louis being seen for Louis just isn't enough for him. That he has it better than 99% of the people in the nation isn't good enough--no, he wants to be on the level of that one person he just can't seem to catch.

It's completely unhealthy, and it's turned him into what we see now.
More +
Flag
Louis is flawed - very flawed - but he has also displayed behavior that I would consider makes him a decent person.
The most recent example of this was getting Mike his job back.

Louis cares about the firm and the people he works with - he's not best at displaying this, with the exceptions of Rachel and Donna - but its a lot more obvious than the way Jessica conducts herself.

He's not a saint, but there are instances of altruistic behavior by Louis, while I find it hard to recall any instances from Jessica.

Harvey constantly has to reined in by Donna and Mike - the fact that he heeds their advice is what separates him from Jessica.

Harvey spent last season engaging in Machiavellian schemes of his own to get his name on the firm, which was driven by his ego - not caring about the well being of the firm or his friends. Harvey justified his behavior by the rationale that he believed he deserved his name on the wall.

Louis is doing the same thing

They're all flawed people, but Louis cares, and that makes him a decent person in my opinion - a decent person with a huge ego and an inferiority complex who craves love and respect.
More +
Flag
I don't think anyone in the show is CONSTANTLY terrible from the main six characters. Heck, even Hardman had people think he reformed until he got Donna fired. I mean yeah, you had some pretty villainous people in season 4 (Forstman, Logan, Woodall), but they weren't exactly fleshed out.

I mean Jessica does nice things from time to time, and she's usually a tyrant. On the other hand, aside from Donna, everyone else has done crappy things. Rachel just got smacked by a curveball, Harvey at the start of season 3, and Mike at the beginning of S4, as he himself admitted (and before then, obviously, or he would have gotten his Harvard Law degree easily).

That still does not excuse the things that Louis does, regardless of what his intentions were when he set out to do what he shouldn't have done.
Flag
Can you explain to me, please, how Louis didn't deserve to be a senior partner? Let alone a named partner?

If it's because he's a dick, then that's funny because Harvey is a raging hard-on to people too. It doesn't matter what causes them to act like that to people, just that they both create enemies out of nowhere.

If it's because Louis isn't good at his job, then that's funny because why would Harvey show Mr. Zane Louis' billables, as a way to impress him into hiring Louis, unless he was an awesome attorney? Harvey might be a great "closer", but Louis is a god damn financial wizard. Let's call it two separate "specialties", but they're both great at what they do.

If it's because Louis gets into messes, then that's funny because Harvey get into a ton of them too. And they both fix their mistakes, often using other people's help to get it done.

If it's because Louis broke the law, then that's funny because Harvey did the exact same thing by hiring Mike.

If it's about him siding with Hardman that one time, then that's funny because Harvey betrayed, and attempted to oust, Jessica too.

If it's about him messing up the merger, then that's funny because Harvey attempted to blow it up too.

Seriously, I could go on and on and on, but Harvey and Louis have done pretty much the exact same things, and yet Jessica constantly applied a double-standard to them.

So, is it any wonder why Louis acted the way he did? How would you respond to being treated so vastly different (in a poor manner) compared to a fellow employee who does the same things you do?
More +
Flag
"Can you explain to me, please, how Louis didn't deserve to be a senior partner? Let alone a named partner?"

Louis is a senior partner.
He's not a named partner because he isn't enough of a rainmaker.

The first is about being good at his job, which he is. The second one is not at all about being good at his job, but rather, about being able to handle clients and bring in business to the firm. Harvey can do this; Louis, not as much.
Flag
At the start of the show, when Harvey became a senior partner, Louis was still a junior partner. Louis didn't become a senior partner until the Hardman arc. That's what I was referencing in my comment (i.e. I knew Louis wasn't still a junior partner).

Speaking of Hardman, he was the one who actually made Louis a senior partner, because Jessica refused to (even though his billables, which have been referenced a whole bunch of times, are amazing; in the pilot, Louis himself brings up the fact that his billables are better than Harvey's).

So, my point was to highlight the disparity between Harvey and Louis' success in their careers, even though they both bring in a lot of money for their firm. That's why I brought up Louis' senior partnership, and it's why I was trying to point out to ilyakipnis5 that it was something Louis felt he deserved and not just wanted "because Harvey had it".

As for Louis not being a named partner:
I actually kind of understand that. I mean, the guy gives his all and everything to the firm... but I get that THAT isn't what gets you to that position.

Still, he's made some big moves that have really helped the firm (like locking down Tony Giannopoulos), and I just don't understand why he doesn't get the consideration when the same type of actions are what got Harvey his name on the door. That's what bugs me-

-Harvey asks for senior partnership/named partnership
-Jessica says no
-Harvey does something shitty
-Jessica forgives him
-Harvey gets a huge "win"
-Jessica rewards Harvey with what he originally wanted

The above events only work for Harvey though, because he's Jessica's golden boy. I mean, look at how Jessica rewarded Louis when she thought he fixed that whole Gillis problem (before anyone found out that Louis actually messed everything up): she offered him anything. Anything except the one thing he wanted... and might have deserved (I feel like if this was Harvey, it would have gotten him his name on the door).

Sorry. I didn't mean for that to turn into such a long post. It's just that Suits gets me passionate, and talking about it with other fans is quite fun (especially since it seems like you have a background in law, which helps a bunch when it comes to clarifying things).
More +
Flag
Louis closed Giannopoulos *with* Harvey, not *for* Harvey. Massive distinction. Louis can *sometimes* help. He's not a complete millstone on the firm's neck. But he screws up plenty because he's *Louis*.

And maybe you've forgotten, but I haven't--what kind of douchebag Louis can be. He was a villain in season 1, and then Hardman's lackey until his ouster. In season 3, he cost Harvey his relationship with Scottie by calling in a favor.

And who says I have disdain for Harvey? Yeah, he's abrasive at times, but we know who the real Harvey Specter is. The real Louis Litt? A case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, if you want to go that route.

And yes, I do have a great deal of disdain for Jessica. Her tyranny, paranoia, Machiavellian tendencies, and all of the behaviors she exhibits to remind us that Pearson Specter is as toxic a law firm as any other, rather than the congenial if sometimes dysfunctional family that Harvey, Mike, Donna, and Rachel would have us believe it is, make her one of my least favorite characters on the show.

As I've said before, Louis and Jessica deserve one another. The other four characters, however, would all be better off without those two.
More +
Flag
You know what? I had a whole laundry-list of reasons why Louis is awesome, and how I think you're wrong for saying he isn't a decent human being. However, I can't be bothered to write any of that out, because I doubt we'll ever see eye-to-eye on this thing (so it'd just be a waste of my time).

I will say this though: I'm surprised by how much you don't like him, especially after you admitted to being bullied in your school years (in a different post/comment). I mean, I'd assume you would relate to Louis then, who is constantly bullied (and talks about how bad it was when he was a kid), and is almost always knocked down, immediately, whenever he has anything positive happen to him (especially considering how selfless he's been recently).

However, I guess I can also see how you might identify him as a "bully", for his actions in the first season, or season an a half. So your initial impression of him, as a villainous employee, probably won't ever be swayed.

At least we agree on Jessica. :D
Flag
It's because Harvey is good looking and Lois isn't.
Flag
What messes does Harvey get into that he needs Jessica and Louis to fix? Because Louis gets into plenty of messes that he needs Harvey and Jessica to fix. If anything, when Harvey leans on Louis for help, Louis can just as readily let him down as succeed.
Flag
Hm, I could've sworn Louis "closed" Tony Giannopoulos for Harvey, when he needed him to, but whatever. That wasn't huge...

I just can't fathom why you have such disdain for Louis. I mean, Jessica I can understand. Heck. Even Harvey, who is slightly better than Jessica (his bromance with Mike, and his ability to have his humanity reined in by other characters being his saving grace), I'd get. But Louis?
Flag
I don't know, man. I mean, sure, Louis will want respect from Jessica, Harvey, Mike, Donna, and Rachel; however, he'll want respect from everyone at the firm... as a newly named partner. I highly doubt he'll care if it specifically comes from those people, because (based on how he freaked out on Donna) I don't think their "friendship" matters to him that much anymore. It'll have more to do with what he feels is owed to the new position, not what he is owed as a friend.

Will he eventually want friendly relationships with all of those people again? Who knows. All I know is, this episode was Littastic.
Flag
I think previous seasons have shown that Louis want camaraderie with certain co workers, so I do think he'll care.

Would you say that this was Litt-erally the best Suits episode you've seen?
Flag
Hahaha. Nice.

I agree that he's the type of person who will eventually want that camaraderie again, but I think it'll be a brief time before that happens.

Also, I see him going the "villainous prick" route, after the way everyone at the firm has treated him, for a brief period of time.
Flag
Rick Hoffman (Louis) has played some nasty villains before, so it could easily happen
Flag
I know the Firm means a lot to Louis. But he HAD that. His main fight was to make the people in his "home" love him and respect him.

He may get rehired - but his main focus is all but ruined. He won't be happy about that. Yet - it is the bargain he made.
Flag
True, but this may also change the way he views the people whose love ad respect he craved.

All of them have lied to him, but his relationships to Harvey, Mike, Donna and Rachel may be salvaged.

Mike has proven he deserves to be at the firm, so he will probably forgive him at some point.

Harvey discovered Mike and the fact that Mike has turned into a legal wunderkind could justify his decision to Louis.

Rachel was covering for the man she loves - Louis is a romantic, so he'll probably forgive her first

Donna is Donna

But I think his relationship with Jessica has probably changed for good, possibly into an adversarial one
Flag
That would be a fantastic place to take the show eventually. Gina Torres rocks the "bitch". To see the characters we love (maybe Harvey jumping on at the last moment) join under the auspices of another start up firm take an "established NY Law Firm" with Jessica and some Sharks would be a great place to take this show eventually.

That might be more of an endgame though - and this show is doing too well to go there yet. Ask Supernatural.
Flag
Or Mr Zane somehow getting involved in the situation...
Flag
On one hand -- I'm happy. Louis "got his power back" and finally achieved what he always wanted.

But... moving forward I hope we don't lose the loving Louis that TRIES to do good here-and-there. Based on his conversation with Donna I fear we might get more angry antagonistic Louis from the first season... only this time there will be nothing to stand up to him since he knows Harvey's secret and is now a named partner as well.
Flag
This is something I fear.

I mean, I feel like Louis is completely in the right (at the end of this episode), and has every reason to be as upset as he is (and upset at who he is upset at). However, I can see the writers demonizing him, during the last six episodes, to make the other characters seem more likeable... even though they put themselves in this situation.

That's something I hope doesn't happen. Though, considering how Louis' character started out, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he'd turn back into a complete douche now that he's in a position of power.
Flag
I have 2 theories

Louis will find himself isolated, then he starts lashing out.
And then he tries to win back all the people he's alienated, because he wants to be loved and respected most of all.

Or

He will try and oust Jessica
Flag
Louis trying to do to Jessica what she did to Hardman would be interesting to see. Especially as Mike would have to side with Jessica to stop her burning him and firm if she gets deposed.
Flag
Except Louis knows about Mike's fraud too. That's some MAD (mutually assured destruction) right there.
Flag
Not sure about Mike siding with Jessica.
She been pretty intractable in some of her decisions, whether dealing with Harvey or Louis.
Also, Mike knows she doesn't trust him and still wants him gone.
If Jessica burns him, she burns herself - which she may be willing to do, but the fact that it would tarnish her reputation would probably stop her.
If Louis got Harvey on his side, Mike would follow.
Flag
It doesn't just "tarnish her reputation"... if Mike's secret comes out, she gets disbarred, Harvey gets disbarred, and Louis gets disbarred.
Flag
@Gully_Foyle
"would he stab Harvey in the back to save Harvey from prison?" - he would, but if he did that then the show would be over.
Flag
If Louis and Harvey start making moves against Jessica. Then Jessica threatening Mike does nothing, as I think Mike would be prepared to take the entire blame for being a fraud, protecting both Rachel and Harvey. However if Jessica has a way to implicate either of those two then Mike's loyalties become a little more difficult, would he stab Harvey in the back to save Harvey from prison?
Flag
There was a reason behind that short scene at the end with Jessica giving Mike props. It makes Mike more loyal to her. They don't film that stuff without the endgame in mind
Flag
And if she thinks about it, Mike has come through with a Hail Mary pass on quite a few cases. Unless she thinks Harvey's did all of it.
Flag
I felt that it also showed that Mike realizes that Jessica has a low opinion of him -

Jessica: You know I thought it was you.
Mike: Harvey didn't tell me, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck

But my thought process on this may be colored by the fact that I don't see Jessica as essential character for the show to progress.

In fact it may benefit from her being a full on protagonist.

The show could carry on without her loss, but it would suffer if any of the 4 key characters, (in my mind at least), were to leave - Harvey, Mike, Louis and Donna
Flag
Flag
hee hee hee....#2...hee heee hee....toilet humor rules!
Flag
You are both full of s&*t
Flag
nah, toilet humor is crap.
Flag
I was all for Louis until his final demand. I know he's always had a complex with Harvey and Jessica, but to feel THAT hurt because of their lies and hypocrisy... I'd have appreciated him more if he finally cut ties with em and just demanded that one client to get him the senior partnership with Zane. Makes more sense that he wouldn't want to work with Jessica, Harvey, Donna, Mike, and Rachel.

Also, I find myself annoyed whenever Mike "slips up" about something Harvard related. For a guy who's supposedly that worried about people finding out but has such a great work ethic and impeccable memory... he still doesn't know pretty significant Harvard-related stuff fairly frequently. It's kind of a cop-out by the writers, I think, that Mike apparently did just the minimum amount of fact-checking regarding his fake history.
Flag
I was a bit annoyed at Mike too, until I realized that maybe, just maybe he didn't slip up and that was his way of helping Louis at great personal risk;
Would Mike be devious enough for that? Maybe;
The better question is would he be brave enough for that? I honestly can't say.
Flag
Oh wow. I never thought of Mike possibly slipping up on purpose! That's a nice theory.

It would definitely help appease some of the people, here, that have a problem with Mike not studying enough about Harvard to know about the key. Or, at least, I hope it would.
Flag
He should have done more checking after Louis almost figured it out last year. And some of those things, Harvey could fill him in on. I suppose they figured it wouldn't come up again, maybe??
Flag
I actually don't think Louis COULD leave. I mean, think about it: he's the one who brought Mike back to Pearson Specter (without knowing about the fraud thing).

So, even though he felt betrayed, he realized that if Mike's fraud ever came to light he'd be held just as responsible as Harvey and Jessica (and anyone else in the know).

Heck. That's one of the reasons why he was so mad at everyone who knew. Telling him would have effed him over, and not telling him led to him rehiring a fraud. Plus, it re-enforced the idea that Harvey can do the same thing as Louis (break the law) and get favorable treatment from Jessica, whereas, Louis gets the crap-end of the stick.
Flag
Completely agreed and a great point. If he really felt soo betrayed, he wouldn't want to work with them! If you really felt that bad and not wanted,why return to a 'family' if you really felt that bad. Louis can lie to himself all he wants but he badly needs to be loved/praised and all of that stuff, and it's going to result in the opposite of that if he continues in that vein.
Also the whole key business is a bit of a bloody cop out by the writers. Awfully convenient don't you think that Mike just HAPPENED to pass by as Louis is clearing stuff up, and he just HAPPENS to have a box right then and there that just HAPPENS to have a key that just HAPPENS to have specific importance to the whole Harvard Law thing!Hmmmmm
Flag
Mike along with Rachel and Donna were the ones to pack Louis stuff. Also, he was the one to drop it off at Louis' house.
Flag
Because he has nowhere else to go, nothing left, and can become a named partner.

A couple of characters said it: the market was bad and the only way he was going to find a place was with clients under his belt.

Even if he blackmailed Jessica to give him clients so he could find work elsewhere, he would be starting as the low-man on the totem pole.

So instead he blackmails her to be a named partner... a big step up; even if that "senior partner" deal with Rachel's father was still in play.
Flag
However, Harvey did find him two different jobs, just not in New York.
Flag
Not knowing the square Pizza thing from Season 1 was acceptable: it wasn't like he could learn it from reading the Harvard manual or something.

But I agree... it was a bit convenient that the guy with perfect memory didn't learn about the key. One would think that while researching, that he would have looked up what you get if you graduate Magna Cum Laude (or whatever). Special diploma, weird items, fancy quill / pen, etc.

I mean, if I was pretending to be in a specific club then one of the first things I'd want to lookup is:
  • Secret handshake
  • Special sayings / songs / codes
  • What equipment / artifacts is it assumed I have
Flag
I will say - once you reach your profession, some of that can go out the window. The key thing was too easy - but I have gone back to my Frat and the University of Wisconsin and have forgotten our "handshake" and a few other things. Maybe because I was drunk when I learned them.
Flag
In normal life, no doubt. I graduated a little over a decade ago and can barely remember some of my friends' names let alone the more obscure stuff.

But I'm also not paranoid that someone is going to call me out on not knowing their names.

Considering how paranoid Mike was about getting caught, and how Louis used to trip him up with that stuff in season 1, and Mike never forgets... you'd think the guy with the perfect memory might have decided to learn the stuff. Like, oh, the big monikers of the club he pretends to belong to.

In his case it wasn't forgetting, it was not learning.

Flag
Great point. I have no need to remember that stuff. MIke's professional life depends on details
Flag
Flag
Louis is gonna kick some ass and it's about time. Jessica is way too slimy and deserves to be slammed by Louis for once. louis is kind person at heart but always played around by Jessica and Harvey. Time for payback. Go Louis!
Flag
I was really hoping for a Litt Law Firm that would take them on directly. More courtroom awesomeness with Louis winning respect by BEATING Harvey - not kissing up to him
Flag
We technically he has them beat and their backs to a wall. Louis is the one in control right now. He's defintiely not kissing up to them.
Flag
Well no - yet... all this power and he is going to settle for his job back and name on the wall. In a way, Jessica still wins.

I would have liked to see him build his own firm from scratch and then take them on
Flag
I agree that would have been awesome.
Flag
Jessica and Louis deserve one another. They're both disgusting people. One is a tyrant who let the situation slip through her iron fist, and the other is a man with a never-ending inferiority complex.

I'm really hoping that once Harvey gets whiff of this that he'll just tell Louis that what Louis always wanted wasn't just whatever title Harvey has at the moment, but to *be* Harvey. To have the respect Harvey does, to be liked the same way, and so on. I mean what next? Harvey and Donna take the plunge, Louis wants Donna? It's never *enough* for him. And I hope that whether he gets his name on the door or not, that everyone else ostracizes him anyway, effectively reaffirming how they were right to not let him be at the cool kids' table.
Flag
Louis is pretty much my fave character on this show now. With Katrina and Donna as close seconds. Any scenes with those 3 in it are guarenteed gold.
As for Jessica, she's tough but I always respect her. Even Harvey is awesome at times.
None for Mike though. He pretends to be the ultimate good guy but at the end of the day he ALWAYS chooses himself. I basically like everybody better than Mike. Hell, how amazing of a character would Rachel be without Mike. Imagine the character development!

Louis finding out has been coming for ages. I hope he gets what he wants, he respect from Jessica he deserves and that he makes them hire Katrina back. But I rarely get what I want from tv shows so we'll see... As long as Louis stays loyal to Katrina i'll be fine.
Flag
You also wouldn't have the same show if Mike and Harvey weren't together, either. Mike tried to have Gillis keep his company, He also didn't go through with cutting his boss out of the deal. Mike asked Harvey to try and get Jessica not to fire Louis and he also went to Rachel's dad to set up an interview for Louis. That's not choosing himself.
Flag
I find Mike to be an entirely irritating, self involved character. When it comes down to it, he ALWAYS chooses himself (you csn give me as many examples as you want. But when it comes right down to it, he will always put himself or his needs first. Think of him letting Louis fire Harold, or betraying Harvey in the S2 finale. When it's his ass on the line, the other guy goes). Of course, this is the curse of many main characters, the annoying part that is. Mike believes he is a good person, people keep telling him he is, when in actually he is the most morally ambiguous character on the show.
Flag
He can blackmail all of the symbolic gestures he wants. But you can't blackmail respect from someone.
Flag
Agreed. But his pulling a trick like this (blackmailing his name onto the door) may actually cast a new light on him. He's been the ultimate doormat for Jessica and Harvey. Maybe now, with Louis not being so desperate for their approval anymore, they can finally start to see him as an equal. Which I think he deserves.
Flag
Great post and perspective. I really hope that happens.

I also hope that when Louis goes back to being a dick, which he obviously will (and has every right to), he doesn't randomly stop being mad at everyone and tries to become their friend again. I want all the people who've treated him like crap to realize how awesome he is, come to understand how shitty they've treated him, and then actively try to get him to be the nice guy that he developed into over the last couple of seasons (via meaningful gestures of friendship).

p.s. I tried to "thumb up" your post about ten times, because of how much I like and agree with it, but it only let me do it that once. 'Tis a shame. ;p
Flag
...especially when they were never going to give you any, before the blackmail thing, no matter what.
Flag
Who the hell gives a stupid key as an award? I get the parchment and the medal, but the key? Does it actually open some secret door in the depths of Harvard?

And how the hell could Mike not know that? God damn it Mike. GG
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members