We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E02: "Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner"

Sometimes I like to pretend that all those awful episodes with Ava Hessington and Darby never happened because almost everything that's transpired since their departure has been delightful. Suits has returned to telling stories that are driven by the characters we know and love, and "Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner" was no exception. Louis struggled with feeling unappreciated—which isn't exactly new territory for him, but this time it was resolved on a sort of high note. The Jessica/Jeff relationship has added new and interesting angles to Jessica, and it's nice to give Gina Torres something to play with other than "stern boss," because we all know she's capable of so much more. 

And of course, Mike and Harvey have competitive tunnel-vision now that they're serving opposing interests. Mike may've won this round, but I think we all know that this is far from over, Harvey isn't going to take defeat lightly, and things are probably going to get nasty before they get better. Meanwhile, Rachel's ex was invited to jump into the mix because if Rachel isn't reduced to being one corner of Suits' never-ending love-triangle, then she might as well not even bother existing.

I wonder if anyone realized, when Suits was born, that some of the show's best material would come from the unlikely awesomeness of Louis and Katrina. When Katrina first appeared, I didn't much care for her—but when she linked up with Louis, their mutual ambition and general disdain for everyone else in the office evolved into something that just skirts the edge of cartoonish without overdoing it. This week, Louis was (yet again) crushed when he prepared a pitch for Jessica about why he deserved to take on the SEC on Pearson Specter's behalf, only to find himself summoned to her office to show the new guy—former SEC flunkie Jeff—the ropes, including a swanky corner office that Louis had been eyeing for probably forever. 

Louis becoming a named partner seems like the sort of thing Suits will never allow to happen. It's sort of like how we're never going to know exactly what Donna and Harvey do with that can opener—however, unlike the can opener shtick, Louis's quest to become a named partner defines his personality and motivation on a base level. It's all he wants and all he thinks about, and everything he does, he does with the intent of accomplishing that one goal. 

Suits has established that Louis IS a great lawyer. He's no Harvey, but he has strengths that lie elsewhere—and in certain areas, he surpasses Harvey. Louis's weakness rests in his loyalty and the fact that it can often be manipulated due to his insecurities, which creates a sad sort of cycle where Louis feels unappreciated because he isn't a named partner, and therefore lashes out, and then is overlooked for a promotion because he lashed out, which makes him feel unappreciated.

Of course, Donna knows all things and managed to put an end to this round of Louis vs. Self Esteem before it caused some real drama. I love me some Donna-and-Louis bonding. 

And Louis scored a small victory (that was actually huge for him) when Jessica relented and gave him the corner office he wanted. 

Mike's victory was less decisive. He outsmarted Harvey, then relented and did things Harvey's way, which compromised his do-gooder intentions, which were compromising his ability to do his slimy banker job in the slimy manner he was expected to—so while Mike won, he won in a way he didn't want to win, which might as well not be a win in Mike's book. Also, Rachel is pissed at him because the Mike vs. Harvey fight is making both Mike and Harvey awful and she can't escape them at work or at home. Her defensiveness toward her ex, Logan, paired with her Mike problems and the way that her Mike problems create Harvey problems, is pretty prophetic. This show loves its love triangles. 

I'll let it slide, though, because in general, Suits' fourth season has gotten off to a strong start. We knew that Mike and Harvey were going to fight like children playing a very expensive game of dress-up, but it works—plus it would be weird if they didn't fight every time they encountered one another. It's also a welcome change to get Mike out of the law office (for now) and give him new problems, like being too nice to work in banking—which is kind of silly, but hey, at least it's a new problem. 

NOTES

– "Balls are never debatable." —Donna

– "You're gonna stop writing in that pussy diary!"-- Katrina

– Louis vs. the SEC was a glorious presentation. Also, I need his head Photoshopped onto a dragon, stat. 

– How do you feel about the Jessica/Jeff stuff? 

– Rachel's totally going to bang Logan, right? 

– LOL @ Jessica daring Harvey to say "bang" one more time. 

What'd you think of "Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/2/2016

Season 5 : Episode 16

59 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Fellow watchers of Suits, I need to know: Am I the only one who wishes to see Louis at the top of the company at the end? I mean, he is one of the most likable character of the show or what? Am I alone in this?

Flag
Is it me, or is this one of the best season so far?
Flag
This was a lot better than last episode, which seemed to be about Mike beating Harvey merely because Mike wants to get out of Harvey's shadow, and Harvey wanting to beat Mike because he thinks Mike is too naive and every decision he makes will automatically be wrong. Mike is now competing against Harvey not to outdo him but to fulfill his promise to his client about keeping everyone employed. It makes you want to root for Mike, especially since Harvey's client is as unlikable as Ava was last season, only Ava never slept with any of Mike's friends. I have a feeling Mike will win the case but lose Rachel to Harvey's asshole client, and season 4B will be about Mike trying to get her back.

Why is it that Suits make all the romantic interests for the ladies overconfident jerks? First Donna with Stephen (who turned out to be a full fledged BAD GUY) and now Jessica with Jeff. At least Scottie, Harvey's love interest who we all knew would never work out, showed some humanity and vulnerability. But Jeff is as unlikable as Stephen was, though I'll admit the heart attack conversation he had with Louis to make the client tell the truth was genuinely hilarious.

Louis continues to be my favorite character mainly due to how he juggles being hilarious and serious. His character really evolved from his season 1 self, who was pretty much a cartoon villain. Katrina is a delightful bonus a she complements his character perfectly, but she has yet to rein in his character like Rachel and Donna can when Louis becomes unhinged and starts making stupid decisions.

Donna was, in my opinion, the most awesome she's ever been in this one single episode with her Ophelia story. It's wonderful that she only told Louis this, since Harvey knows pretty much EVERYTHING about her and this is the one thing they can bond over. (Though there is a webisode which shows that Donna and Louis meet in secret every week in the copy room to act out works of Shakespeare.) Good job with making Donna awesome again, show.

9 out of 10. It's a great episode, but I REALLY wish the clients Harvey represents in long story arcs aren't unlikeable assholes like Ava was last season or Logan was this season. Same thing goes with the new hirees/romantic interests of the women. You made Katrina into a likable character with one episode and Scottie semi-likable, why can't you do it to the men?
More+
Flag
What I love about this episode is that it was a mixture of fun and a good case. There were a lot of funny parts whether it was Donna finding out about Jessica sleeping with the new guy, or how Louis eats dicks. But we also got a good story with Mike and Harvey, and a large portion of the episode was about the case too, instead of relationships. And yes! Louis finally gets a happy ending! And the Katrina/Louis scenes are still hilarious as well. I'm loving this season so far. The show really needed this twist of having Mike v. Harvey.
Flag
COCKS. Louis was referring to the flamboyant rooster (known in Europe as a cock) that struts around like he owns the place, but the audience of course is made to assume it means penis.
Flag
love the show so much, can't stand having to wait for what's next. Every episode is fun just to watch/listen to these marvelous characters and the fashion where suits are outweighed by the ladies' wear is a true bonus, week after week. I feel some attention outside a general review is due for the gorgeous attire for each, week after week for all seasons! Harvey and Jessica are first on the runway, always!
Flag
When are these people going to start appreciating Louis for his awesomeness. He is way too good to always be looked at less than.
Flag
Amazing episode. I especially liked the first part, it was just funny and easy to get into. Katrina and Donna kick butts. Loved when Donna stole the flowers from Rachel's office. I kind of feel that something could happen between Mike and his secretary...
Flag
Litt me up with a GIF of Louis nodding his head in agreement with Donna when she was wishing the lead Ophelia would get sick or hurt so she could take her place. Love the Litt and Donna.
Flag
Next fight between mike and Rachel= mike using the info that Logan had an affair against him thus pissing off Rachel.
Flag
any1 else see rachel look funny at her phone @ the end and then kinda hide it? Dont think i need 2 point out what that means....
Flag
I saw that at the end there, but I just figured it was Harvey calling about work. I mean, her discomfort/desire to hide her phone could be her way of showing that she's getting sick of having her and Mike's work lives interrupt and infringe upon their personal lives.

That being said, I really REALLY hope it was Logan, and that this is the start of something between the two. It's not that I don't like Rachel, but I just want to watch this triangle BURN! It's been the show's weakest point since the beginning.
Flag
Don't think the writers don't know it either. I am sure they hear the Rachel bashing. Hannibal did it with Alana Bloom ...REALLY giving folks reason to hate her.

Why bother trying to get fans to like Rachel when it would be easier to make them hate her more!
Flag
Rachel's pretty much the weakest character on the show. Give her an episode not revolving around her and Mike and she's awesome (representing Louis in the cat custody mock trial being exhibit A) but when you put her in a room with Mike all she becomes is either the doting housewife or eye-candy. Hell, in one recent episode all she did was pick out furniture at the beginning and end of the episode, not showing up at all in between.
Flag
Imagine how that makes the actress feel
Flag
There's some truth to that; however, I'd like to clarify that I'm not a Rachel-hater or basher. I like her character, especially when she interacts with Donna. It's just that her and Mike's relationship is pretty boring. Especially in comparison to the rest of the show's storylines.
Flag
No - and shame on Mike for not asking why she immediately flipped the phone over, hiding the caller ID. Though - Mike has no reason not to trust her... yet.
Flag
DdotMe - you are the 1st one i have seen to pick up that subtlety at the end. I think Rachel haters are about to get a ton more ammo.

Mike is going to have a big win against Harvey ...and a big loss with Rachel
Flag
yeah could well b i mean im not sure but we all know
Flag
@MaryAnn - sorry, I just need to point out that Harvey did not loose in this episode. It was Mike who lost.

While it is true that Harvey got a 60-day stay on his tender offer and the purchase of any additional stock, it was not really crucial at this point and did not specifically harm Logan's cause.

Mike suffered a much bigger loss, in that 1) He was forced to do something that he didn't want to (metaphorically putting on that sleazy banker suit) which really made him re-evaluate his basic values, 2) he had to cut his "defense budget" by a whopping 50% to stave off Harvey's vote flipping, and 3) by letting Logan get to him and taking the settlement offer off the table, his job with Sidwell is essentially now contingent on the outcome of this takeover attempt.

Stack it up side-by-side, and we can see Mike suffered a big loss at the end of the episode. He's basically down a lot of cash and will need to start the next round on the defensive (while basically having his competence called into question by his boss and his integrity called into question by Walter Gillis).
More+
Flag
Litt vs Malone standoff was off the charts !! Fantastic.
Flag
I am just waiting for the cringe-moment where Harvey threatens to reveal the 'Not a real lawyer' card in order to win.
Flag
He can't since he was complicit in the whole thing. That is a can of worms he never wants opened for his firm.
Flag
Harvey can always proclaim that he had no knowledge of the deceit. After all, Mike has a diploma, hacked into the bar, and fabricated his entire education. And keep in mind, it is within Harvey's character to gamble.
Flag
Harvey gambles, but he does not ever lie in a deposition.
And that seems way too cold for Harvey's character anyways.

However, I wouldn't rule out 'threatening' to reveal Mike's secret though i don't think that's gonna work.
Flag
Always wondered if Jessica would EVER be tempted to expose Mike for not being a real lawyer to win any big deal if the push comes to shove. But then again, if she or Harvey did, her firm would be up for serious liability for even ever knowing and hiring Mike. So if Mike ever goes back and work with Harvey, it would be so so boring. This way, the tension and temptation would keep everyone on edge. Rachel needs to really grow up and Donna and Louis needs more face time.
Flag
They should really stop putting Rachel in between all this. I would love it if Suits would make her a kick ass lawyer instead of playing on her emotional angle. Her character is getting tiresome.

Love Louis!! Love Donna!! Mike & Harvey were well Mike & Harvey - but they're always fun. Hope Jeff Malone sticks around longer than other partners - it will be fun to have someone new in the mix.

Suits is an awesome show that I started watching on a whim and I've never stopped watching! It doesn't get the credit it is due (that's true in the case of The Good Wife as well). Sigh.
Flag
Harvey is a kick-ass lawyer. Mike is a kick-ass lawyer. Jessica is a kick-ass lawyer. Louis is a kick-ass lawyer. It was actually more interesting when she was a kick-ass paralegal. Not sure why everyone has to be the same character. Seriously, lawyer characters take on/have to take on the same personality traits and its just as boring as watching a show full of kick-ass doctors.

I mean, yes, by all means, give her something else to do than be part of a love triangle, but something other than what everyone else is doing, please.
Flag
Yeah, that would work too. What I meant was anything but the emotional angle. You're right, there was no need to get her on the lawyer bandwagon. As of now, her character is getting quite annoying and I think the writers don't know where to go with her.

Or, they might do something totally awesome and change my mind about it.

Fingers crossed.
Flag
So no one mention louis speech about Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner and what he like to eat. I understand it's too rude to post but if your going do a review you could at least implied you found that part amusing.
Flag
What are you, a pussy? He said cock, meaning cock of the walk, a rooster
Flag
I think he knew what he was saying by the time he said "I eat cock for breakfast lunch and dinner” but he wasn't ashamed by the double meaning because he's not 12 and this isn't 1982.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
FYI, the expression is actually "nip it in the bud."
Flag
Rachel is becoming so tiresome as a character. It seems like the only time she's ever on-screen, it's to be a source I'd unnecessary drama and angst. She's becoming such a Skyler, yo!
Flag
Yup, BB had me (done) at Skylar!
Flag
Love the Skyler reference. How I wished she'd died in Breaking Bad!
Flag
she may have been annoying but she did make the show more fun, and birthed a lot of meme's, lol. Same can't be said for Rachel. If her and Mike broke up, which I think they will soon, hopefully they can flesh out her character more. Its S4, and shes still boring.
Flag
Eh, it was all right. They are kind of telegraphing what is most likely to happen. The stuff with Louis and Katrina were great, they are really the saviors of tho show. I do feel kind of bad for him though. It wasn't really respect that got him the office, it was Jessica finally pulling her head out of her ass. And it is what the 4th time that she has had to do that in regards to Louis. I get it, he is the comic relief, and I get that getting great sex can lead one to gloss over things. but it seems like they are repeating the same old thing again.

I have to agree with some of the others on here. Rachel is turning into a whiner. It takes a huge ego to sit there and think that your boyfriend turned down a multi million dollar deal just because the guy he was going up against used to be someone you slept with. Huge ego. I have to wonder if this was a hint of things to come with her. And I have to wonder exactly how long they are going to be together.

Donna was awesome as always.
More+
Flag
I agree. I had to do a double-take while watching that scene. I thought it was presumptuous of her to believe Mike refused the offer on those reasons rather than because he has a heart. You're dating the guy! You should know him better than that! He's naive -- but not petty.
Flag
Since there's no more "Ugh Shae" (GOT), Rachel has clearly taken the spot and from here on out be called Ugh Rachel! This was the most selfish and whiney she's ever been! Ugh!
Flag
i don't reply to many post but have to agree lol Ugh Rachel was she always so whiney and i didn't notice because she look so good kinda just over her all together now
Flag
So how long before Mike find some crucial information in Rachel's things and use it against Harvey?
Flag
Why can't it be the opposite? I'm less likely to believe Mike would resort to that because he's such a goody-goody.
Flag
2 minutes
Flag
i didn't think this was possible but i love Donna even more, what she did for poor Louis was amazing but she still deserves her own storyline this season more than that awful Rachel.
the only thing that the writers did with giving Rachel a story is having an interesting story for Mike and Logan she is still boring old Rachel
Flag
omg, rachel is sooooo annoying. she is constantly whining about something. don't be such a baby.
Flag
This episode was sooooo good. Suits is back!
Flag
So it took what 6 hours for the case to come between Mike and Rachel who could of seen that coming.

Also the new lawyer is so full of himself, Jessica really needs to take him down a peg or several.

Finally Louis got some of the respect he deserves, YA!!!
Flag
She put the case between them. That scene really irked me when she questioned his motives. Ugh!
Flag
I know Mike grew up rough and has a good heart, but he can't expect not getting his hands dirty working in corporate business. I just wish they drop this businessman\lawyer-wanting-to-do-good stance.

I like Rachel but having her thinking that Mike's outburst with Harvey was about her affair, is one of the things that makes viewers hate her character. I blame the writers.

Do I sense a Louis/Donna endgame? I think so.
Flag
I like Mike's "good heart" dilemma. It makes the show interesting. It's always going to interfere with him being an effective lawyer or an effective banker. It gives him a flaw. Seeing him try to work around it -- being a good lawyer/banker while trying not to compromise his values -- is what I enjoy watching most in Suits. That and the Harvey/Mike relationship.
Flag
Yeah i thought about Donna and Louis because of the whole picture thing but i don't think that's happening, at least i hope not.
Flag
I would love to see a Donna and Louis team up
Flag
Mike will likely win and hand Harvey his first convincing defeat
Flag
More than likely Mike's pursuit in beating Harvey will result in him winning the case but losing Rachel and all of the integrity he had on the show.
Flag
Nooo! If he wins but loses his integrity that would break my heart. I like how naive and compassionate his character is.
Flag
I would be surprised if Mike doesn't ultimately lose and go back to work with Harvey. I suppose Mike could win and realize he loves being lawyer so much that he quits his investment banking job and returns to Pearson Spectre. This show lives to reset to the equilibrium.
Flag
I hope he wins then goes back rather then losing and going back
Flag
Follow this Show
Members