A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E03: "Two in the Knees"

Alternate titles for "Two in the Knees" could also be "The One Where Harvey is a Dick. Again." or "The One Where Mike is a Dick. Again." OR "The One Where Louis Has No Friends Because He's an Overgrown Eight-Year-Old. Again." 

That doesn't mean it was a bad episode. Let's face it, Suits has its favorite formulas and pet plots that skirt the edge of predictability but "Two in the Knees" also featured some quality Jessica/Malone action and a Rachel with a backbone, which is some scary new territory for a little show I occasionally like to refer to as Rich People Problems

And oh, how those rich people problems continued this week. Mike's brief victory over Harvey didn't bother Harvey nearly as much as it bothered Harvey's client, ski-school dropout and former-future point on the revolving Rachel Zane love triangle, Logan. Logan wants to take over that sad old man's company, dammit, and he'll throw a tantrum and a lot of money around until he gets it. He's such a douche—and he's so pleased to be a douche. At least Harvey recognizes when he's being a total penis and feels bad about it after a proper scolding. It's almost like The Sopranossure, the gang over at Pearson Specter is kind of terrible, but their competition, clients, and co-conspirators are even worse, so we might as well cheer for Harvey. 

Speaking of Harvey, we were reminded of his daddy issues with the master tapes—just in case he was getting too unsympathetic with his refusal to be nice to Mike. Admittedly, Suits is making it hard to take Harvey's side in this conflict by forcing him to champion the Chief Executive Brat while Mike gets to help Sad Walter save his family company. The fact that Logan has literally zero redeeming qualities whatsoever is starting to get a little silly. Okay, he called a truce with Mike because he doesn't want to hurt Rachel. All that means is that at some point, he and Rachel are gonna bone. 

Can't wait. (I am MaryAnn's complete lack of enthusiasm.) Maybe Rachel can take some lessons from Jessica in barely restraining herself from sleeping with a dude she decided not to sleep with—but I love Jessica and Malone. It's such a new angle for Jessica and the storyline was such a pleasant surprise coming into this season. Sure, we've dabbled in her love life with her ex-husband and there is the occasional odd Jessica/Harvey vibe if you squint, but Jessica's relationship with Jeff Malone is something new because it's something she clearly wants. She's chosen the job over men before, but that all happened off-screen and pre-series. To see Jessica actually work through her feelings and to be privy to her philosophies and concerns opens up a lot of possibilities for her character. She's been the stern bosslady for four seasons now. It's nice to see Gina Torres get to do something different on this show. Hannibal was making me jealous.

DB Woodside's Malone is also a nice addition to the Pearson Specter gang on his own. He doesn't seem to have any ulterior motives (other than trying to sweep Jessica off her feet) and while he was certainly working Louis to get to Jessica, I got the sense that he did genuinely like Mr. Litt and feels bad about how that turned out because Louis never met a disappointment that he faced with all the maturity of a third grader. He's my favorite, and I appreciate what Suits has done in recent seasons by acknowledging Louis' flaws and exposing them for some angsty the-office-is-just-like-high-school-but-worse lessons but...I don't know. We've had a lot of that lately. Maybe just let Louis plot world domination with Katrina for a little while. 

It's clear that this season of Suits is ready to explore the Harvey and Mike dynamic on a level that hasn't really been touched yet. They've disagreed in the past and even been on warring sides of a serious debate, but their current conflict is interesting in that neither of them has complete control over his side and barring some convenient plotting (which is never, ever, out of the question on Suits) Mike and Harvey's respective sides can't be resolved. This isn't Mike fighting Harvey. This is Mike's client fighting Harvey's client. This is two guys forced into a gunfight with each other on behalf of two fat cats fighting for the same spitoon. If one doesn't shoot the other, the man calling the shots is going to fire on him anyway. It's tricky and a little tragic. Mike and Harvey appear to be at a truce as we head into a hiatus until July 9 but, eh, these things tend to be short-lived. Why can't we all just be friends again? 

NOTES

– "You deserve each other!" Walter, on Harvey and Mike. So true. 

– Logan told his wife that he'd never sleep with Rachel because she's just some paralegal. Everyone is so mature on this show. Also: no wonder the woman has a complex. 

– I'd read Donna's secret files on her coworkers. Tie-in book? TIE-IN BOOK. 

– Take a drink every time Louis refers to someone as his "friend" because you know it's going to end badly. 

– Suits returns July 9! See you then, darlings!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/24/2016

Season 6 : Episode 7

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/31/2016

Season 6 : Episode 8

49 Comments
Comments (50)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
In my opinion, Suits seemts to me as a soap, & I mean it in a good way - like the good old days of the prime-time glamarous '80 super-soaps. I mean, some of you acknowledge the wardrobe yourselves, & the storylines themselves thematically revolves around power, control, love, business corporate/criminal business (ours being lawyering).

The thing is, I wouldn't be the 1st one here to note that some of the plot devices used are worn & recycled; As much as I got tired of the "Who's gonna' learn of Mike's secret this (half a) season?" routine, the current Harvey-Mike twist of relationship is kind of predicatable, & I could see how Mike would return to Pitterson-Spector by season's end, topps.

Also, it feels that the Mike-Rachel relationship is a bit artificial, which is kond of surprising, since I actually rooted for those two. I think that storywise, Rachel actually has lots of potential as a law student, which unfortunately is not explored yet.

It's not like Suits is boring. Not the least bit. But its about to be, if it's not refreshes itself from its by-now-familiar-storytelling-conventions. See Logan for example. I would actually want that man whom everyone loves to hate not be out of the window by the end of this storyline/season - we could use a prominent villain (& by allowing him to be such, the show can actually avoid the written-on-the-wall resulotion of this love triange/storyline: Yes, He'd probably bone Rachel (& Harvey'd be won over by Mike), but we should not settled for that; I want to explore what I saw in this episode as a glimpse of Mike's manhood insecurity & I want to dwell into that further, which actually makes Suits as soap in a masculine way (in similar manner, though performed as lovely comic relief, following this episode side story with Malone, Louis actually always seemed kind of gay to me - no matter whom he paired with, which also could provide for an intresting continious looking into).

Suits was intresting when it broke its frame rules earlier than expected - Mike & Rachel, Mike's secret, firm takeover attempts & so on. It should break more borders in order to keep us up in the back of our seets - Logan & Malone are wellcomed addition as a prominent cast members in that regard.
More+
Flag
Really like Jessica having a relationship storyline. I agree that it shows a different side of her, especially since we have only seen her only do work things. You really do feel bad for Jessica, but also understand the pressure she is under. Sometimes we HAVE to sacrifice one thing for another, and sometimes we THINK we have to sacrifice one thing for another.

Malone is a likeable guy too. I really hope he stays for more than one season, even if he ended up getting Katrina type appearances that would be fine with me.

As for the Mike v. Harvey, sure its repetitive and is a lot like other Suits scenarios, but having them be completely on different sides is really fun to watch. And I do like how pushy their clients are too. Soo many mind games going on between Mike, Rachel, Harvey, and Logan. That smirk at the end when Logan met Mike... and even Rachel's uncertain eyes when she said she wants to marry someone like Mike. Usually all the love interest stuff is annoying but Suits is getting the balance of Case and Relationships very right this season. Cant wait for the next episode!

And Donna still rules.
More+
Flag
Not liking the dynamic with Mike's boss, though. Never in the discussions where he was trying to hire Mike was it hinted at that Mike would be expected to tear apart companies for big paydays.

Also, the boss has so much free time he can wait around in Mike's office for WHENEVER Mike happens to show up? Just so he can tell him he's not happy with his performance? Good grief.

Flag
I don't like the amp'd up tension between Mike and Harvey, but I GET it. The student who wants to prove he's worthy. The teacher who can't stop thinking of the student as a student.

It was fun to see Harvey's small smile of pride when Mike did tough stuff.

I predict Mike's going to get the upper hand and Logan is going to go back on his word and start to investigate Mike. He might even find out the secret. Rachel will agree to sleep with him to keep him from exposing Mike. Logan will use this threat to KEEP Rachel sleeping with him. Mike will eventually find out and it will end or seriously damage their relationship.
Flag
This storyline is incredibly stale already, it's the same beats every time and there's no reason why the lawyers are involved at this stage. Nobody feels particularly likable anymore, and good lord how Rachel is dull now that she's actively in the mix. I honestly considered removing the series from my DVR entirely after this one, not because it was terrible, but because it was just going through the motions.
Flag
Completely Team Mike on this story arc so far. Yeah, Harvey has resisted going for the nuclear option (although let's be honest, he's protecting his own hide as much as Mike's), but that's no excuse to shoot someone in the kneecap. If he'd just been the employee he should have been instead of trying to continue being the teacher - that is, if he could have reined in the ego for just a little while - this could have all been avoided. And if it weren't Mike, he would have. Total douche.
Flag
Hmmm, I really don't get one thing at this point: Mike has a very guilty secret and one probably not so hard to dig out (Veronica Mars would be in on it in an hour) but he still doesn't get Harvey is trying to work around it? In this episode I mostly saw Mike throwing tantrums (but that's not to say Harvey acted all that gloriously). Anyway, I'm finding it harder and harder to root for anyone. Save for Louis, of course.
Flag
I loved the moments Louis was conviced Jeff was in love with him. Even if his reaction to retreat far away was a little too much. I'm not a big fan of Mallone himself, he doesn't seem to take anything seriously. It might change after what happened between Jessica and him and Louis and him. Both Harvey and Mike were total douche to each other. I don't know what was worse, that Harvey felt like he did good by spilling Mike's drug secret to the old man or the fact that Mike bought Harvey's father tapes. At least that made a nice little truce gesture.
Flag
This was the best episode of the season and can't wait for more :)
Flag
taking all bets for how long before rachel sleeps with logan lol im going to go with by at least episode 6
Flag
On the one hand, they had some actual law in this episode, as they had two securities lawyers discussing the Glass-Steagal Act. But (oops) that law was repealed 15 years ago by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and apparenly, neither one of Pearson-Hardman's crack securities lawyers recognized this fact.

And it's not like this is some obscure law. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is largely responsible for the financial collapse in 2008.
Flag
Finally figured out what I wanna see. I wanna see Mike having less screen time and Rachel shine instead. They need to change the formula. Mike and Harvey on different jobs (let alone different professions) will never work. They are too big for that. The series should fast forward to where Rachel becomes a real lawyer and be everything Mike could not. In the end, Frauds are not welcome.

PS: Dangit, Donna and Louis will never get old :D
Flag
I love all the battles, good, bad, right and wrong, but I love the suits more. You rarely mention the gorgeous clothes, Jessica wins I think, Harvey right next to her. Happy I will be when Mike starts to look less like a cub scout, thickens up a bit in appearance - we know he's brainy; I'm anxious for the look of substance. Agreed on Malone - fun addition and Louis is meat to Donna's potatoes. Such fun characters. Great diversion this show. More Harvey would thill me, the tastiest guy on TV.
Flag
Jessica nearly always looks fantastic in those clothes they paint on her. The pink poofy sleeves on this week's outfit were an unfortunate exception. The dress would have looked much better with no sleeves at all. But she managed to work it anyway.
Flag
Well, this story arc would really be interesting if it wasn't so PREDICTABLE! I keep comparing Logan to Ava Hessington from last season, but while she was petty, conniving, and rude, at least under the b#tchy exterior she was INNOCENT! Logan is far worse than Ava ever was. Now normally I would welcome this douchebaggery (My wish during the Hessington case was for a client that really was bad through and through and see how Harvey and Mike clash n order to win the case) but the personal element with Rachel thrown in just makes this case seem stupid. Add the fact that Mike's client seems to have a halo around him makes the situation even worse! The midseason endgame is on the wall: Mike will win the case, Logan will seduce Rachel to get back at him. Now, an interesting story would be Mike walking in on them boning (like Rachel did with Mike and the Jenny-clone), lose it, beat Logan to death and season 4B involves Harvey defending Mike, but come on, that's not gonna happen.

I will say that the connundrum Harvey had in attacking Mike is very refreshing to see. Mike is matching Harvey move for move and Harvey, in my opinion, could win fairly if given the time, but Logan is an impatient douche and is forcing Harvey to act like... Season 1 and 2 Harvey. That Harvey constantly used cheap tricks to do the right thing, but Season 4 Harvey knows that if he pulls the same stunt with Mike "the Secret" will be let out and they both lose. I doubt he's pulling his punches out of respect for his protege (since he flat out told him this episode "You're nothing without me!") but rather just doesn't want to lose all he worked 4 seasons to obtain.

Louis made me sad this episode. Yes, the homophobia (in the most literal definition) was pretty funny, but his ultimate mis-analysis of Malone's motivations was hard to watch, especially since Malone now seems to be a straight up nice guy who genuinely likes Louis but whose main motivation is to be Jessica's husband. I like Malone, but then again, I also liked Edward Darby and my heart bled for him when he told Jessica about why he was so determined in protecting Ava, and Jessica booted him out of her life without a thought. We're not dealing with the Wise Sage Jess from season 1 on the Power Hungry Jess of season 2 and 3A, we seem to be dealing with the most human she's ever been in this series, so I don't know how her and Malone's endgame will play. And I hope Louis gets some form of friend. He can be a genuinely nice guy (Which is why "I Want You To Want Me" is the most aggrivating episode of the series this far) but we just need to have people be HONEST with him.

8 out of 10. Poor Rachel. She's a hypercompetent sidekick when the story allows her to be, but she's constantly getting screwed figuratively by the writers and literally by the characters. What a waste.
More+
Flag
A Book from donna about her co-workers. Yes please!
Flag
Louis is saving the season. His interaction with Donna was the best of the episode. His conversation with Malone was hilarious also.

The stuff with Mike and Harvey is getting way too predictable. As soon as Donna told him about the Masters, we knew Mike was going to go after them. Mike isn't that original in his thinking.

For something that isn't suppose to get in between the business side of it. Rachel seems to be neck deep in all of it. I doubt that she is going to end up doing the no pants dance with the Ex Fraternity guy.

Speaking of which, you hire a Private Investigator and that is the best the person can come up with? Seriously? That is it. That guy seems like he would have a lot in his past that he wouldn't want to come out.
Flag
I agree with kanniballl. Just because that's what Mike wanted to talk about doesn't mean there's no real dirt on the guy.
Flag
Perhaps that's not the BEST thing he came up with... but it caught Mike's eye considering his personal connection to it.

Flag
She's gonna bone the ex? That would be boring. I never got the impression that was gonna happen. She doesn't seem into him.
Flag
yeah, it seems Rachel's completely over him now so I don't get why she thinks Rachel's gonna do that.. but Logan seems not.. . hopefully this is not gonna be the problem b/w Rachel and Mike.. They've been in a healthy relationship
Flag
This is the kind of thing a guy like Logan would do if Mike won this battle. He would try to hurt him on other ways. Fo a while this week I thought "below the belt" meant he would set it up for Mike to think he and Rachel were throwing down again - just to distract him. That idea struck me in the beginning when Logan talked to Rachel about what he was willing to do.
Flag
"Logan told his wife that he'd never sleep with Rachel because she's just some paralegal."

How is that even a legit explanation? If he told his wife he slept with some lawyer, his wife would've gone: "oh, okay, then it's fine"?
Flag
Honestly, there is no possible good explanation outside of "Really? Because YOU'RE sleeping around too!"

But... his line was more along the lines of "It's silly to even THINK that... she's NOTHING and below me. I'm not going to throw away my marriage and life over a non-person"

Only he shortened it and paraphrased and let his obvious elitist personality explain the rest.

Flag
So pretty much the same thoughts I've had about every episode of Suits - Love the show - Harvey, Donna, Louis, Donna/ Louis is always a wonderful mash-up and Jessica is cool... but uuuuuggggghhh Mike you are so annoying. The one difference from previous seasons is that Rachel no longer annoys me. That is progress my friends.
Flag
Ah, she still annoys me. And I don't see any chemistry (work chemistry, not love chemistry) between her and Harvey with whom they paired her up this season.
Flag
Jessica getting a love interest, Rachel working w/ Harvey and being a valuable asset to the firm and Harvey/Mike new dynamic.... IMO S4 is better than S3 in general! Harvey and Mike have been at odds for a while but I'm sure this bromance will be back soon..
At the end of this episode, Rachel giving tapes back to Harvey was really nice! LOVE IT!

Flag
Hiatus already?! USA will be the death of me!!
Flag
Fourth of July

The show would otherwise be airing close to the 4th of July when people are more concerned about their mini holidays. Evening of July 2nd is fairly close.

Here in the US they tend to not air new episodes too close to national holidays; presumably because the know lots of people are out travelling or having family / social gatherings so ratings would suck anyway.

The big ones the networks tend to avoid are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year... but Independence Day isn't that far behind.
Flag
Well, the broadcast networks tend to give the 4th of July a 3-month cushion.
Flag
Shit, it looks like Rachel's affair is going to be a season-wide-important thing. I seriously wish she would have left for school. Not just because trying to fit her into the story and create drama gets old, but because the actress just seems to lack chemistry with a lot of the other players.
Flag
The problem is, although most states DO allow law students to practice law while properly supervised, you have to finish all the first-year courses plus evidence and usually legal ethics before you can get a provisional law student admission. (I don't know New York's rule specifically, but it definitely doen't let students practice from day one, even if they are experience paralegals before they start.

Also, ABA rules limit outside work to 20 hours per week for full-time law students.
Flag
I gotta disagree with you! I love that Rachel gets more involved in cases this season bc we get to see her do something other than just being a main character's gf. And It's really nice to see her grow up as a lawyer while working with Harvey so I'm really loving this season so far and where the show is going. This is exactly what I wanted last season.
Flag
But she's not really growing up. This is the same spunk as season one Rachel. She seriously hasn't changed or developed with other characters. She simply is the Rachel we first met.
Flag

I don't think she's the Rachel we saw in S1. She has definitely changed. Well writers didn't give that much space for her to grow up on the show bc sometimes they just use her as a plot device so that annoyed me a lot.. but she's just a paralegal in S1, now she's in law school and working as an associate and in a serious relationship with someone. This whole struggle to get what she wanted or to be who she wanted is the big part of her character development imo. Speaking of interaction w/ other characters, Louis/Rachel is my favorite friendship. we didnt get to see these two in S4 yet but I really love them and Jessica/Rachel bonding is rare but was really good! Now we can see Rachel/Harvey relationship develop this season.
Anyway we can agree to disagree.
Flag
Or, you know, non-chemistry.
Flag
She might have a better bonds with others and not be a paralegal, but just the chemistry of the actress is the same from the first season.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I liked Season 1 Rachel: she would put Mike in his place and showed off her amazing research skills.

But after that it just kind of fizzled out, like they're just trying to find something for the character to do. Oh instead of making her the cause of s*xual tension lets make them a couple... that will give her something to... oh wait that's even MORE boring.
Flag
Send her away!
Flag
She did put Mike in his place in season one, and she does in later seasons. But the chemistry just always feels the same.
Flag
It's good to see Wayne Palmer working again.
Flag
Maybe he can work to get Jack out of this legal mess

Flag
This is up there with the 2014's most brutal TV moments. He ended a family in 1 episode. And noone questioned him about it. This is too much not to make him the last villain of 24 in the end.
Flag
In the context of the things he has done (like with the Russians) yeah ..I regretfully agree. But he was never a hero since they killed his wife. He has been an anti-hero ...using awful methods to stop mass death and destruction.

He will always be in that category for me.
Flag
And incidentally (although it was for intel) they saved Simone's life. So no the WHOLE family. MArgot already shot Simone's hubby in the head.
Flag
This duo just bombed a fucking hospital and were on the way to bombing Waterloo station. That was quick, efficient justice for the hundereds they killed and the thousands they would have killed.

JAck did what a hero does. Saves money on a trial.
Flag
Jack stopped being a hero for a long time now.
Flag
That's a first -degree murder.
Flag
Donna: Shut the front door!

Louis: No, I want to shut the back door.

Lol that whole conversation was hilarious. Malone's manipulation was very smart too.

I kinda want the SEC case be the A plot, because this Mike vs. Harvey just became a love triangle involving Mike, Rachel and Logan. Eck.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members