A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E04: "Leveraged"

With his victory over Harvey and Logan rapidly receding, Mike played his BAMF card and bought a whole bunch of shares of Gillis Industries to soak up all of that sweet, sweet shareholder power. His boss was delighted, and Mike got to keep his job for at least one more week. However, Mike also found himself in the hot seat with Donna because of his decision to use their besties-forever lunch dates to terrorize Harvey. Basically: How dare he turn Harvey's own tactics against him? How dare he mix office and outside-the-office life?

Donna, darling, you need to start watching your show. 

I kid. It's just amusing how we constantly have characters getting outraged over the blurring of the line between personal and professional, only to turn around and do it his or herself two episodes down the line. (Though I will admit that if anyone is the master of keeping that line sharp, it's mostly Donna. Mostly.) 

Without Mike as his number two, Harvey turned to Louis, who in turn tattled to Gianopoulis (Sidwell's old boss) about how it was Mike who got Sidwell out of his contract, rendering Gianopoulis unwilling to help Mike and his fledgling Gillis Industries. Suits: the show where even good things come back to screw someone over later on. I love it, and I love this season. 

After dangling the threat of the SEC in front of us for the first several episodes of the season, Suits finally brought in the big baddie and made a surprising revelation about Jeff Malone—newest partner to Pearson Specter and determined suitor to Jessica—and how his move to Pearson Specter wasn't entirely altruistic: He was on the verge of being canned at the SEC anyway. Meh. Whatever. He was getting fired for refusing to target Pearson Specter for investigation. If, as we are being led to believe, the investigation is truly unwarranted and part of some kind of grudge, then Malone still acted pretty selflessly. 

DB Woodside has proven to be an asset to the Suits cast this season, with Malone opening up so many different storytelling opportunities for the series, particularly when it comes to Jessica. She's in the courtroom. She's pulling all-nighters. She's struggling with the high standards and guiding principles she's set for herself. Gina Torres gets to play more than just the stern boss, and it's to the writers' credit that they've put her character in a position to do that. 

Now... if Rachel could get the same treatment, that would be great. She's in law school. She's doing more lawyer-y work. She's juggling a demanding work environment with a demanding academic environment. Compared to her coworkers, it's true that these storylines don't sound particularly engaging on their own, but I don't think the answer was to follow the same Rachel pattern that's been established in previous seasons: love triangles! Love triangles everywhere! That Rachel is only ever allowed to function as an extension of whichever man she's attached to at a given moment—and always, of course, returning to Mike in the end because they're the golden couple on this show or something. 

I really like Rachel. I just want her to do awesome stuff. 

Rachel drama aside, what with that almost-kiss and all, "Leveraged" was an enjoyable return following Suits' one-week 'MERICA hiatus, and the episode succeeded in pushing the SEC storyline forward after it had appeared to stall for several episodes. I count it as a win. 

NOTES

– I love that Louis keeps a list of Harvey's enemies and knows quotes from The Karate Kid and ugh love him. 

– Lol @ Mike's assistant's Renn-faire fashion. What was she wearing? It was like some kind of medieval jumper. 

– I like Renn-faire Amy's sass, though. 

What did you think of "Leveraged"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/14/2016

Season 6 : Episode 10

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love only 2 women on Suits-Donna and Jessica! Both are consummate actresses and they bring lotsa' spunk and gumption to the show. Rachel bores the death outta me. I find it very strange that Harvey would go after Mike and vice versa when they supposedly have a "father & son" bondage. True enough for professionalism, but some things one just does not do cos relationships are far more precious and sacred than dollar and cents, that is, if one is into such things. And Rachel, looking at the next trailer where she's on a bed with her ex scum BF beside her, it kinda shows how "principled" she truly is on many levels, when if it serves her own interest; especially when it comes to bringing Mike down a notch to battle their disagreements.
Flag
This is so my favorite summer show! Everyone was serious this episode and backstabby, but that's ok with me, even rich people have problems I guess. I can't wait till next week!!!
Flag
I think Rachel gets to have a fainting spell next week, so that's something different.
Flag
Donna is the worst--always right, never wrong, and obviously no life
outside the office. Who could endure such ego?
Flag
Love Donna. She really brightens up a very good show.
Flag
Why are all the guys being so terrible this season?! Mike's constantly going below the belt, Louis is a villain yet again, Jon Sidwell is vile, Logan is just irredeemable, Harvey has to be a bad guy because he's working for a sleazebag, Jeff's manipulating Jessica...

Earth to Donna, Earth to Donna, save everyone! (Yet again....&_&)
Flag
It's the producers' only way to drive drama when they don't actually have a real point to get to from episode to episode, it's a soap opera cheat, move the drama along when the story is absent.
Flag
I don't think the show is heading in the right direction
Flag
It's TEN TIMES better than season 3A with the Hessington Oil case... the finale of that arc (Harvey solving all their legal woes by apologizing to his client Ava for making her look bad) was so stupid that even Travis Tanner thought the move was bullsh#t.
Flag
No argument there, my statement wasn't limited in it's time line. The first 2 seasons were great and then Rachel happenend and Hessington Oil and the show which used to be different from the other lawyer shows has now become a silly chic flic
Flag
Nearly every problem with this show can be explained with those three words: "then Rachel happened".
Flag
She is a pain in the ass! I don't like her character. Her personality doesn't feel sincere
Flag
I think that maybe Mike shouldn't have told mini-Donna that his going to screw over his boss. I mean, how well does he really know her to give her information that could end his career and basically ask her to go against the company that she works at? (she's only mini-Donna, not the full version).
Hope this doesn't return to bite him in the ass.
Flag
I completely disagree about Donna, she's a total hypocrite about the personal/professional line (don't get me wrong, I still LOVE-LOVE-LOVE her dearly). The only difference is she uses those blurred lines mainly for good, not evil. But she blurs them just the same. This week's example was when she got on to Harvey about how he treated Louis after his professional screw-up. She pointed out that he needed to give Louis a pat on the head for correcting his mistake because, on the personal side of things, Louis cares about Harvey and when he was going to get married, asked Harvey to be his best man and he accepted. She blurred that line all over him to get what she wanted - hypocrite. :D

As for the rest of the episode, I found it very frustrating. I couldn't care less about Jeff Malone and how he was about to get fired from the SEC. All he's done is try to manipulate everyone around him, so it was no shock that he lied his way into Jessica's pants firm. What was shocking was that after ALL that, she showed up at his house with some movies in hand (and probably nothing on underneath her trenchcoat).

Harvey's treatment of Louis sucked. Yes, Louis is a major screw-up and needs to put on his big boy pants and finally act like a grownup. But this behavior is nothing new, so it's the VERY definition of insanity on Harvey's part to keep doing the same thing over and over and repeatedly expect a different result. Know what you can and can't involve him in and when the stakes are high or you are up against a boy genius with fewer and fewer scruples every week, send a chaperone or go with him yourself.

And speaking of Mike, how low will he continue to go? He's being a real dick and treating everyone he cares for like shit, and for what? So he can feel good about a promise to a guy he doesn't even know, someone who no longer wants anything to do with him anyway? How did he appoint himself the savior of the people that work at that company anyway? A company that according to everyone else, Gillis himself was pushing into a black hole because he wanted to honor his late son - and somehow that meant mortgaging the future of the firm on massive expansion that they never could sustain?

And finally, Rachel.... oh, Rachel. How they have telegraphed your love triangle story from the very beginning. How you have followed along like an ass after a carrot on a stick. So predictable. So boring and lame. But it doesn't have to be this way. When she became the new Mike, so to speak, and was working closely with Harvey, that was a very new and interesting dynamic that really opened up her character's personality and options. And yet, it's completely disappeared in recent weeks so that they can have her play naughty secretary in a vapid love triangle (aside: can it really be called a love triangle when there's no love between her and Mike right now)?

I started out liking the shake up and new direction for this season, but this episode felt like a big step back to me. Hopefully it's just a one-off and we see a course correction next week.
More+
Flag
This all seems forced.

As we saw with Logan and Rachel, Logan isn't against doing good things. It would seem a way to serve all interests would be for Mike and the owner of the company to find a way to make a lot of money doing whatever the company does and then present that to Logan and say, you can make this amount cutting the company into little bits or you can make this amount letting us do our thing.

And that isn't it. The whole Rachel story line couldn't be more forced, in every scene it feels forced. I think she would have been better served simply being a full time student and coming in from time to time. I don't know, but if they are setting up to go with a love triangle I think that won't be that great. Granted it might benefit the show because she and Mike currently are dragging the show down. If she ends up with Logan and he ends up with Amy or having some type of dalliance with her and they ended up as adversaries I think that might better serve the story.

I can't really get mad at Mike for going after Louis the way that he did. It is a fight, you go for your opponents soft spots. Like Harvey said, Louis allows people to do this to him by giving into emotion rather than taking a step back and looking at the situation objectively. Mike used that, he used it well. I can't get mad at that.

Bringing in Eric Roberts was a mistake. I have never liked him in anything, even Best of the Best. It is the same thing with his character. It is going to bite Mike in the arse and he like Louis allows it to happen. Sometimes you just have to be the bad guy.

Donna was awesome yet again. Amy, though mimics Donna in a lot of ways, I feel is her own person. I would love however, to see a conversation between the two.
More+
Flag
I don't think Rachel is a good enough character to sustain a story that doesn't involve her being involved with a guy. Nothing against Meghan Markle, but the way they've written her has her constantly linked to some guy who's dictating her life. Her dad, Logan, Mike, Harvey, Louis. She's the opposite of Donna and Jessica. Which might be the point. To be used as a stark contrast so that, eventually, when the show starts winding down, she becomes her own woman like Jessica. Unfortunately, until then, her storyline in any given episode is always the least interesting to me. This episode was no different.

The 'Karate Kid' bit was hella weak, compared to some of the show's other references. I didn't like it all.

I did like Amy a lot more, though. Pretty sure she's gonna end up with Mike at some point. Which I'm totally fine with. Mike and Rachel arguing all season is already getting kind of annoying.

With that said, I definitely like Season 4 a lot better than Season 3. It's less convoluted, easier to understand, and the twists don't seem as forced. Plus, I like that they shook up the show's foundation by having Mike leave. Interesting new dynamics all around.
More+
Flag
Yep, better than 3 but still blander than I would expect.
I want to see Mike if Amy, if only to see less Rachel. Let her escape with Logan to some tropical paradise, whatever.
Flag
This episode seemed repetitive, like it has nothing new to say so it just repeats the same thing over and over again. The problem is that it doesn't keep any focus on what the goals are, it doesn't keep focus on why lawyers would be sparring with investment jerks, and it just keeps beating up the situation harder and harder to put Mike on his heels.
Flag
I really want Mike and Harvey both to lose, they are being really horrible to everyone. Harvey making Louis cry, mike making look like Sheila got engaged. Just really horrible horrible people.
Flag
Wow, this episode really put Mike in a no-win situation. His client hates him, his boss will fire him if he doesn't he back up money within a week, but in order to do that, he has to make a deal with ERIC FREAKIN' ROBERTS, the only man alive who can be more campily evil than Rick Hoffman. (I saw the 1996 Doctor Who movie.) I'm very interested in seeing how Mike's deal with the devil will play out. I'm 100% certain Mike will be victorious in beating Harvey on this case once and for all, but I'm betting now that he will lose EVERYTHING, not just Rachel.

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel... this episode was all over the place with her. On one hand we saw the two sides of Rachel that I love (Rachel the clever lawyer and Rachel the confidant of Louis) and I enjoyed every scene where she got to do something productive, but then they put her back into "Rachel the woman everyone wants to bang" with that last scene. Ugh. The writing is on the wall and there is no way Rachel will NOT sleep with Logan. I really wish they would stop putting romantic subplots into every damn thing she does.

Louis's reaction to Mike's "news" was actually more understandable than the last time he was rattled. Sheila was a woman Louis loved and to have her move on and get engaged in the course of 4 months (I assume it's 4 months given that two weeks passed between their breakup in Heartburn and the 3rd season finale, 3 months passed between Mike getting his new job and being assigned his current case, and 13 days chronologically have passed since then) would be really jarring and throw anyone off their game. I know the feeling first hand, and it's a LOT more justifiable than being rattled because of a cat.

I've grown to like Jeff and I feel myself rooting for him and Jessica. Even if his romantic relationship with her doesn't go anywhere long-term (which, let's face it, probably won't.) his motives are now clear and he's one of the only guys in the series with a straight agenda. He's the male version of Katrina, who said up front to Louis that she'll help him on whatever he wants if he will help advance her career. Except Jeff could care less about his career advancement... he wants Jessica herself.

Overall, enjoyable episode. The addition of wolf-in-sheep's-clothing Eric Roberts is very welcome, and how easily he agreed to giving Mike almost 3 times more than he asked for fills me with much anticipation as to what happens when Mike wins and has to fulfill his end of the deal... by screwing over his boss. 8 out of 10, because ugh, Mike-Rachel-Logan triangle.
More+
Flag
I have really enjoyed Suits from the beginning. One of my favorites despite some language. I found last night show very offensive taking o\Our Lord's name in vain. I don't know how many times I heard God damn. I doubt I will watch this show again.
Flag
bummer about 7th heaven huh.
Flag
This comment has to be a joke, right? You say you really enjoy the show "despite" some bad language, then you say you won't watch again because of the bad language. Huh? If you're serious, then you need to pull your nose out of your bible and experience the real world, because this is how real people talk in it. (BTW, you do realize you actually typed "God damn," don't you? Don't worry, though, I don't think it means you are going to hell.)
Flag
They have said "god damn" throughout the entire series. Sorry that it offends you and ruins the show for you. In reruns I know they cut down on the language actually, so if you catch it on TV a few days later you can enjoy it more I guess.
Flag
I don't want the love triangle at all but I liked that Rachel was more involved in cases and working with someone b/c we barely see her professional side on the show and she really does show her confidence while working on cases. I want more badass Rachel, not romance stuff! PLEASE WRITERS!!!! and more kickass Louis &3
Flag
I want Amy to be a distinctive character not like just Donna. Mike/Amy is second version of Harvey/Donna ? One is enough and they better not go there b/c it's boring ! btw I love this new angle. Harvey vs. Mike arc is so interesting to watch and keeps me on the edge of my seat! :)
I want more Louis and rachel scenes. I adore their friendship &3
Flag
I agree. Not that i dont like Amy, but give us a new character instead of a mini-Donna, who is obviously not as cool as the original. Either way i looks like Rachel and Mike wont make it through this part of the season, so hope there is a new love interest for part2, or better yet, none at all.
Flag
I really thought the writers were going to try and make a Katrina x Mike thing happen, back when Rachel was going to have to leave for law school (I swear there was an episode where I got that vibe). However, as much as I'm not a fan of the Mike x Rachel stuff, I wouldn't have minded Katrina x Mike back then. Not so much now, though, because she's become Louis' perfect sidekick.
Flag
I hated Katrina at first but she's awesome now. Way too good for Mike, who only drags these women down. I want to see more Katrina-Louis, they are so fantastic.
Flag
I was really, really hoping they wouldn't go down that path with Rachel's storyline. I mean, I guessed it pretty much from the get go, but I still held out hope that they wouldn't do it. Not that anything has happened yet though. But there's still time.
Flag
Mini-Donna. I love her she serving the same function Donna for Harvey. I don't know about you but I think theres something there. I'm seeing a lot of parallels between Harvey's life and Mikes so I think Mike will follow a parallel part. I think theres gonna be a Scotty-Harvey-Donna and Rachel-Mike-Aimee.

Mike really went below the belt with Luis. I feel sad for him.

Logans trying to move in(to) on Rachel.
Flag
Wow I loving this season of Suits so much and am loving the new characters as well, I actually prefer how Mike and Harvey are on opposite sides, I am sure i might be in the minority here but i so don't want Mike to go back lol PS love the mini Donna
Flag
I think it's just a flashback the scene between Rachel and Logan...She'll be admitted to the hospital and it's a moment to remember so it could be that!!
Moreover the lights seems like the ones used in flashbacks.
But it's reveal the mood of these episodes, Mike's loosing a lot during the beggining of the season : itself, friendship, and all for something he don't seems really good at or really appreciated, no?
Flag
It's the flashback, remember Rachel told Mike Logan asked her to marry him and she said No.
Flag
Argh! Why couldn't they have just had Rachel go off to college?
Flag
DRAMA!!!
Flag
Rachel really is just the worst. Shes 100% about to cheat on Mike.
Flag
But now Mike can hook up with cute little Donna Jr!!!
Flag
I always liked her, but I am really sliding to the hate team. This plot is so obvious and so annoying. Rachel pretty much already cheated on Mike by even letting Sanders go as far as he did. Mike should just get with his version of Donna and be done with Rachel. I can't believe I'm hating on her now. :(
Flag
but I don't think Rachel is gonna cheat on Mike. Yep that was close but she walked away and cheating is just out of character. She certainly knows how bad cheating is considering what she has been through for 3 seasons. so I think She wouldn't do that. She's smarter and better than that. Trust me ;)
Flag
I know, right? And how frikken cute is Donna Jr? (oh but Rachel is still so, so pretty. How could I possibly stay mad at her?)
Flag
Man I still can't get over how much Louis has grown since the first season.

He's the only character on the show that consistently earns my empathy
Flag
i think spending more time around Donna, Katrina, Rachel, and Jessica, rather than being constantly rebuked by Harvey has done a lot for rounding him out. That and seeing Harvey finally come back around and show more respect to him certainly couldn't be hurting either.
Flag
And the question is... is Mike ultimately responsible?

Louis has been at the firm longer than Harvey and all through that time he was kind of a jerk. Then a few months / years with Harvey palling around with Mike and now the whole gang hangs together more.

I'm not a big Mike fan lately, but I think his friendship with Harvey helped Harvey and others.
Flag
Fascinating theory! I've never even considered that or seen it posited elsewhere. Bravo!
Flag
I think I'm less of a Mike fan lately too, not so much for what he's doing, but his complete lack of motivation and conviction in his work. At this point, how many more bridges is he willing to burn just to save a company that we don't necessarily know is really even worth saving?
Flag
I have to agree. His motivation is murky at best. He is trying to save the company and be a good guy for the owner and his employees and in doing so he is willing to be a giant douche to everyone that has ever given him a chance to be that better person. It seems contradictory. I get that he is trying to do what he thinks Harvey would do. But Mike doesn't have that panache that Harvey has.
Flag
My new favorite scene of the entire series...

Harvey realizing that it was a picture of Lorenzo Lamas from 1998 that threw Louis off his game

His face and reaction was epic
Flag
I thought it was kind of weird that Harvey not only recognized the actor but also the exact year the picture was taken from the top of his head.
Flag
Not really. Lorenzo Lamas was at his peak popularity around then.

By that alone he might have known. It maybe Mike just used a common pic for his old show
Flag
I wondered if hat wasn't a super-subtle nod to the fact USA used to air episodes of Renegade with Lorenzo Lamas years ago??
Flag
Totally agree. It was tough watching if you liked Louis, but OMG it was hysterical! Harvey was absolutely flabbergasted. ROFL
Flag
It gets two points from me for being cruel and funny, Lorenzo Lamas... classic. Lois should not get so bent out of shape, it was just too ridiculous to not be discovered as a photoshop fake, just a ruse to put him off his game not to intentionally hurt his feelings for a sustained period of time. Since we now have Eric Roberts this season I think Suits should definitely have Lamas make an appearance as a lawyer from some firm in the near future.
Flag
Agreed on many fronts. This episode really was a sad one for Louis... but that scene was just too funny.

I really did feel bad for Louis... first when he got the devastating news, then when Harvey chewed him out for falling for it, then for telling Mike how their friendship is over, and FINALLY when he realized he helped Mike bypass Louis's sabotage in a bad way.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members