A Suits Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S04E09: "Gone"

That. Was. So. Badass.

I mean, the Mike and Rachel stuff was awful, as usual, with Mike's deposition rehearsal leading to tears and fighting and the obligatory dredging up of Rachel's sole raison d'être on this show. Somebody help her, pls, because when Suits is great it's really freaking great, and "Gone" was definitely one of the series' best episodes.

Jessica took the news of Louis's sketchy deal with Forstman about as well as expected—though I will admit that the speed with which she turned against Louis was a little startling. Louis has saved Pearson Specter's butt more times than I care to count and would literally die for the firm if Jessica asked him to. So while it's true that this issue with Forstman wasn't a small mistake or even Louis's first mistake, IDK, it's Louis... which is pretty much the argument everyone else took against Jessica, including Donna and Harvey.

But the hits just kept coming in "Gone"; it was an hour of television so crammed with victories and losses that they often came back-to-back, adding to the sense of urgency that Suits was missing at the beginning of Season 4, and pretty much for all of Season 3. Donna's appeal to Jessica was logical enough for a workplace with such a thin line between personal and professional as Pearson Specter's, and for the briefest of moments, it looked like maybe—just maybe—the great Donna had saved Louis Litt from being fired simply by reminding Jessica that she had screwed up once too, and Jessica forgave her.

And then Jessica pulled out the zinger, "Yeah, but first I fired you."  

That was the point at which I realized Louis couldn't be saved. Not yet, anyway. I like to think he'll be back because it's Louis and firings/resignations on Suits are like comic book deaths in that they never really stick. But for now, Louis's resignation in the face of scandal and disgrace paints a dire picture of the situation at Pearson Specter, the firm that is never more than 10 seconds of ill-timed decision-making away from total destruction. Harvey has long been Jessica's golden boy and probable heir, but Louis was loyal, and in the end, that loyalty didn't particularly matter. It didn't matter that Forstman had pulled the same stunt with lawyers in the past, including Harvey. It didn't matter that Louis had repeatedly placed the good of the firm above his own happiness, from conceding to Harvey to bringing Mike back (which is actually probably a debatable positive for the firm, but whatever) to casting Sheila from his life when their relationship threatened to take him away from his "family."

For a character who's been accused of acting on his emotions with negative consequences, it would be easy to imagine Louis getting all bitter and jaded when faced with losing everything he's sacrificed so much for—so Louis's dignified response and determination to set things right, even while facing the reality of his future with Pearson Specter, speaks to the totality of his character's evolution. Louis Litt has come a long way, and hopefully, despite this latest hiccup, Pearson Specter won't lose him for good. 

The SEC vs. Pearson Specter storyline has been simmering on the back burner for much of this season, but with the Gillis Industries merger over and done with, it's time for Cahill and Woodall to enter the center ring. The entire scene where Harvey, Mike, and Louis revealed Woodall's probable corruption to his partner-in-douchiness was one of, if not the, finest moments of the season. Sometimes, Suits falls into the habit of casting its baddies from a bland mold of unquestionable villainy. To suddenly present the smarmy Cahill as a man who's sincerely trying to do his job well and good, only to be manipulated by the underhanded whims of a Forstman crony, is the sort of twist that will jump-start the drama that will drive the second half of the season.

Between Louis being kicked out of the clubhouse and Sean Cahill suddenly being positioned as a sort-of-almost ally to the beleaguered Pearson Specter, "Gone" was the perfect blend of beginnings and endings essential to any successful penultimate episode. Now if we could just get Mike and Rachel sorted out...

NOTES

– Maybe Louis will go back to Sheila? Maybe?

– LOUIS.

– Jessica's "Jesus CHRIST" was kind of epic in its delivery.

– What did you think of "Gone"?

– What are your predictions for next week's summer finale?

114 Comments
Follow this Show
Members