A Suits Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on USA

Suits S03E12: "Yesterday's Gone"

Last week, in my review of Suits' mid-season premiere, I gushed about how delightful all of the character-driven plots were and how the whole episode felt like a return to the Suits of old. Well, I'm pleased to say that the opinion still stands following "Yesterday's Gone," even if it did involve Mike's major quandary being resolved by once again taking advantage of Louis Litt's desperation to be one of the cool kids. Louis Litt's desire to be part of the in crowd is one of the most enduring traits of one of the show's key characters; this wasn't the first time he's been taken advantage of, and it won't be the last. I'm just overly protective of the guy and, well, Mike is living a lie and putting the entire firm at risk every time he comes to work, so I kinda see where Louis is coming from. 

But no, Suits, you're right, Louis's quest was all about his ego. 

"Yesterday's Gone" dealt, quite happily, with dualities in its characters and its plots. When Jessica's ex-husband, Quentin, passed away and named Jessica and Harvey co-executors of his estate, Jessica was forced to reconcile the life she had with Quentin before their marriage fell apart with her role in his life at the end of it. Jesseica's relationship with her successor, Lisa, was alternately combative and supportive, and even at the conclusion of their story, I never really got the sense that it had changed. They may understand one another a little more now, but those two are never going to get along completely. 

There are two sides to every character on Suits; Harvey is both a douche and a gentleman. One of my chief complaints about the first half of the season was that Suits gave us more Douchebag Harvey than Gentleman Harvey, but in the last two episodes, the show has reestablished a more balanced duality. Harvey sincerely wants to do right by Scottie, but doesn't have the greatest track record of showing it. He's uncharacteristically out of his league, which was another theme running through "Yesterday's Gone." When Louis's plan to out Mike was revealed, Harvey hopped on a plane to intimidate the fabled ethics professor into never showing his face at Pearson-Specter again... and the professor basically told him to eff off. Harvey employed his best Harvey Specter Intimidation Technique and he lost. He returned to New York and told Mike to brace for the worst. He also struggled to make peace with the fact that he failed at something that's been such an integral part of his personality for so long. He told Mike that he isn't Superman, but for all intents and purposes, on this show, he is. 

We even got glimpses of Donna's ongoing Harvey issues, which are such a huge part of her character, but also not. Donna without the romance-with-Harvey backstory—which, if we think about it, is a pretty recent development—would be every bit as awesome as she always has been. However, knowing everything that we know now about their history, every one of her actions has the potential to mean so much more it appears to, especially concerning Harvey and Scottie. She very clearly wants Harvey to be happy and seems willing to help him get there, even if it means buying non-sucky gifts for his college sweetheart (though, to be fair, certainly wouldn't have complained about a $12,000 bottle of Scotch). And as an audience who's privy to more info than the characters are, we know that as much as Donna protests and puts on her uber-professional face, her feelings regarding Harvey are far from definitively dealt with. I'd really rather not have a jealous Donna story, but the potential for it is there. The potential for a Harvey-torn-between-Scottie-and-Donna story is also there, which I'd probably be a little more receptive to even though love triangles make me gag. 

Elsewhere in "Yesterday's Gone," Rachel also fought the fight between balancing a personal and a professional life. Freaked out that Louis may have seen her smooching Mike on the way into the office one day, Rachel panicked and then got over it and told Louis about their relationship and no one cared. Actually, this was another one of those Rachel-is-an-afterthought episodes, which is very much vintage Suits. Didn't she get into law school? Can we have more of that and less picking out furniture? This was the second episode in a row involving Rachel picking out furniture. Somebody help. 

NOTES

– "You're one of three very expensive things I recently purchased." <3 Donna

– On Harvey playing the "Yeah, Louis, we're TOTALLY friends" card to save Mike's career as a fraud YET AGAIN: At worst, it's overused and sad, but once could also argue that there are two sides to Mike and Louis's relationship, and that yes, Harvey and Louis ARE friends. It's just a weird, messy situation with lots of confrontation and questionable actions on both sides. If anything, I'd categorize them as "frenemies." 

What'd you think of "Yesterday's Gone"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/27/2016

Season 6 : Episode 3

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/3/2016

Season 6 : Episode 4

53 Comments
Comments (53)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
what the name of the song at the beginning of the show where Mike & Rachel is walking?
Flag
Use tunefind.com to see all the songs for series and movies of your choice
Flag
does anyone knows the name of the scotch bottle? or it's a fictional brand
Flag
It looks like the Macallan 1964. I believe the actual bottle says "Mactasta" but it looks similar.
Flag
Much much better episode than the previous one.
what about an actual case for once?? its been a long time.
Flag
I loooooove this show but i cant understand the plan here?! How long is Mike going to live this lie? Its been years now, wouldnt it been easier to actually go get that degree while working there?!
Flag
Also, how freaking hot is Jessica?!! My god she's the fashion highlight of my week
Flag
I LOVE this show.
Flag
I don't think anybody has mentioned that the Harvard professor was played by Gabriel Macht's father Stephen. I loved their scene together!
Flag
I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, i really don't get all the grumpiness. The "not Harvard" plot is the most enjoyable one ! I for one, am not tired to see the show sticking to it's roots.
Flag
And... since miss Pope is hiding a big belly on her show, Jessica Pearson is the fashion highlight of the week.
Flag
Mike Ross's Harvard-not secret again is beginning to get really tired to be used as a storyline again. Geez, get that degree off the books already!
Flag
This was a good episode, but Donna's relationship with Harvey makes her feel sad and pathetic, as if her only existence is to be awesome to serve Harvey, rather than to be Donna. She loves Harvey enough to set him up to not-fail with Scottie, but at an extreme cost. She's not Rachel at least though, holy crap is Rachel still the odd man out in this episode, just like ya said.

I truly want to know what was in the envelope. A bluff? Evidence?
Flag
I enjoyed this episode overall. It was one of the most thematically-rich Suits episodes I've seen and was also character-driven which was good. Two of the main characters were put in ethically treacherous situations which sort of parallelled each other. Jessica's story was handled better because her dilemma was more genuine. I found a couple of moments in the episode really profound - Jessica arguing for the merit of subjective truth and the Professor sticking to his guns in saying that it's not about not making mistakes, it's about the choices you make in dealing with mistakes - a great lesson there.

Louis' dilemma was compelling in that he was wrestling with a very difficult decision but it was undermined by Harvey's manipulations. Harvey bullied Louis into creating a false equivalency between committing fraud and not writing a report. That moment made Harvey a huge douche and made Louis seem pathetic and of course it made the Mike situation a total anti-climax. That's three ways the story was botched. The show needs some damage control to fix this.
Flag
I had to quit watching because of Mike's haircut, but it sounds like the homeostasis has been regained. I'm tired of Louis falling for Harvey's "hey, -we're- really- friends" routine, so I'm glad I missed it.
Flag
When Rachel talked to Louis about Mike, it was clear Louis still had hard feelings about being jilted by Mike when he was going to become Louis' associate.

Rachel said, "Mike didn't DO anything to you." and I thought, good, she's going to explain how much Mike enjoyed working with him and that he didn't purposely try to lead him on or hurt him. But, she stopped short of that and I was a bit bummed.

Flag
I loved how they tilted the camera on Mike when Louis first confronted him. Like Mike's world had just turned upside down. Showed his disorientation. Then, the camera righted itself and Mike recovered with an excellent come-back -- even though Louis didn't buy it.

Flag
Best part about the Louis/Mike thing? Louis saved face, a bit, by getting Mike to apologize to the professor. AND, he got the professor to forgive Mike. Sure, the apology wasn't for changing his grade, but you could tell Louis NEEDED to see that apology from Mike and the forgiveness from the professor.

It was subtle, but vintage Louis.
Flag
I created an account just so I could comment. Am I the only one that wanted Louis to find out the truth? I really like this show and Louis has his issues but I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. The foundation of this show is built on this huge lie and sometimes it sucks that bad things happen to good people in order to keep this lie going. I'm kind of ready to see the end game to this whole thing and for Mike to start having some real consequences from this whole ordeal. It would make it a much more interesting show.
Flag
Welcome aboard. I'm also feeling really bad for Louis at the moment. For me this might be the most unlikable thing that Harvey has ever done, despite his selflessish intentions, and Louis buying into the fake friendship again really hurts his character's strength and integrity. All of this because the show like so many other procedurals wants to have its cake and eat it too - They want to have high-stake controversies to rock the foundation of the show but they don't have the fortitude to follow through. I think Mike getting found out and possibly sacked would be a lot more interesting than the never-ending status quo we're likely to get from now on.
Flag
Psych had a similar concept and lasted for 8 seasons, with the main character's girlfriend finding out the secret in the penultimate season...
Flag
it was an awesome episode. seems like the old Suits intensity. Hope to see more of such episodes rather than a whole season story arc.
Flag
Ehhhhh, not sure how I feel about all of it. On the one hand, I mean, we KNOW Mike was gonna be fine, so I couldn't really expect anything different, so what am I complaining about... but I also feel like it's the same exact story over and over again. Plus, they left it open so that soon enough, Louis can get another whiff of Mike not having gone to Harvard and pursue it again, and Mike-Harvey-Donna-Rachel-and maybe Jessica will all do something to convince Louis again. Then maybe Scottie will find out and they have to convince her. Then maybe another new character. Meh. It's tiring to me. The way everything is fine with everybody again just makes the focus on this plot so pointless in retrospect. At least do it so that maybe another relationship is strained because of this. Everybody being all "we're friends" and all hunky-dory is... boring? Basically, go down this route again if you have a decent payoff in mind...
Flag
Louis is a stickler to the rules. You don't go to Harvard, you don't go to Pearson/Hardman. Until Jessica allows the rule to be waived for Rachel, there are no exceptions in his mind. And if Louis found out the real truth, the show would basically be over. Louis knows he can't blackmail Mike cause Harvey would step in. It's best to just go directly to the tippy top and have him fired ASAP before he can have a chance to do anything.
Flag
Let's do all that and instead of ending the show there keep it going and see what happens, I'd watch it.
Flag
Yeah, I thought about that, too. They held back the potential for another, even bigger confrontation between Louis and Mike. If Louis reacted this badly to a changed grade, imagine how he'd react finding out Mike didn't attend Harvard -- or ANY law school at all
Flag
While I am glad the whole thing is over with Mike and his Harvard issue. But it felt a little anticlimactic, all of that and then they save it with once again Louis wanting to be part of the cool kid table. That is kind of.... lame. I do like however that it was kind of a reinstatement of Louis being the only redeemable guy from the first part of the season. But that is kind of just ok.

Flag
Rachel + Mike =WorldWideSnooze
Flag
That guy looks like a mash-up of NPH and Jonah Hill.
Flag
It's very hard to figure out the payoff of this episode from the set up of the previous episode. Louis had Mike. All he needed to do was report him and Mike's career would be over. And then... THIS happened.

I must say that Rachel's heart to heart with an enraged Louis was actually a good thing, and I did expect it to happen in one form or another. Rachel is basically the ONLY person that can make Louis think rationally. Harvey constantly manipulates him into doing what he wants, Jessica and Donna intimidate him, but Rachel is just candid and has on more than one occasion made Louis look past his personal feelings and judge the situation for what it really is. Which is why I think the writers are wasting her character by just being eye candy/bed partner for Mike. Rachel is awesome when she gets the opportunity to be and is a great match to be Louis's associate should the time come when she finishes law school and gets hired by Pearson/Specter, provided they waive the Harvard rule for her. (The show still didn't show us whether Jessica agreed to Rachel's terms.)

Is it just me, or has Harvey seem to have taken a backseat on this show? Last week the only lawyer-y thing he did was save Mike from imploding on himself during a deposition, and this week all he did (besides saving Mike AGAIN) was convince Jessica to look past her feelings of her dead ex-husband and look at a deal rationally. I was annoyed at the Ava Hessington arc because Harvey made a series of REALLY stupid decisions and still managed to come out on top because 1.) The guy he never trusted turned out to be the actual villain, and 2.) All he had to do was apologize to his former client for inconveniencing her to make her drop the lawsuit. But now the show is back to the case-of-the-week formula. Harvey is usually awesome in these, but so far he hasn't really done ANYTHING to resolve the cases of the week. Mike and Jessica won their respective cases by themselves and all Harvey did was give them a lecture. That's it. This is Lawyer-Jesus ! Make Lawyer-Jesus do something!

Again, Louis continues to be my favorite character on the show, but I must say I miss Katrina. Where is she? Louis genuinely wants what's good for the firm but deep down just wants to be loved, but Katrina is completely self absorbed and only partnered with Louis to further her career. I really want to see her take up Louis's quest at finding Mike's secret and have the season end cliffhanger to be her using the secret to become the primary antagonist of season 4, either blackmailing Mike into doing whatever she wants or using the secret to try to bring down a firm that she believes is underutalizing her.
More+
Flag
Errrr...you watching the same show as everyone else? Harvey had to screw Jessica's head on straight, and basically saved Mike. He solved *both* cases.
Flag
What did I just write? Harvey "lectured" to Jessica and had her figure things out. He wasn't as active as he used to be.
Flag
I'm not happy how Mike's secret was handled by the scenario. I want more drama like they did last episodes of season 2. Everything is going so well for him which I don't believe is someone wants to see so early in the seasons unless they are planning to shut it down. Hope not.
Flag
I liked the way they handled Louis knowing, (not all), Mikes secret and his motivation behind it - his personal ethics.
He didn't come off as petty to me, he was going by his own moral code in this episode and he seemed a more well rounded character because of it.
I do think Louis and Harvey are frenemies, but their animosity only arises when either sides ego is involved - if that is taken out of the equation they have worked well as a team.

I was worried they might be reverting back to the antagonistic Jessica/Harvey relationship from the previous season when she submitted the letter without his approval and was glad when they moved past that - it dragged the plot then and shouldn't be revisited unless they are going to pull the trigger and have the firm split up.

Rachel and Mikes relationship had little time spent o it this week, which was a good thing, because they have spent a lot of time on it previously and right ow the series doesn't really need to - small doses right now is probably the best thing for it.
Flag
Wait, what was the third thing he purchased? Scottie, a bottle of scotch and ... ?
Flag
and er, and err...
Rick Perry?
oops
Flag
Rachel only told Louis as part of the plan and narrative. To try to sway Louis into forgiving Mike since Louis has a soft spot for her and old be willing to listen to her.

It ALMOST worked... after their talk Louis was willing to forgive Mike so long as Mike apologized to the professor. But obviously that olive branch only worked if A) Mike actually went to Harvard and B) to professor was willing to forgive.

So Rachel's story wasn't really useless, it was just an attempt at manipulation that didn't stick the landing

Flag
YOu are on point!
I know Maryann loves Donna and hate Rachel, of course Donna always says witty lines and knows everything but Maryann you dont need to hate Rachel for no reason ... She did nothing wrong actually. Yep, recently Rachel has been just perfect gf and we didnt get any her own storyline but Rachel and mike just started their life together so it means a lot to them.. why dont we just wait and see...
Also FYI Rachel law school stuff will happen in S4 so it wont happen in the rest of this season.
and Rachel LOuis scenes are one of my favs in this ep! Rachel is only one who actually is honest and nice to Louis.. and he has a soft spot for her. They genuinely care about each other so I love them!
Why always Maryann thinks Rachel is useless and is bashing about her? cant get it. and really gets on my nerves :// *biased* ..
Flag
It's not that her story was useless, it's that at the moment her character is only existing to service Mike. It's insulting. Why should such an intelligent character have her entire screen time dedicated to Mike stuff.
Flag
Perhaps because she was voted by her sorority as most likely to fail the Bechdel test.
Flag
My vote for comment of the month.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
There is only Douchebag Harvey, the "gentleman" is only a thin , a very thin layer of humanity which sometimes surfaces to lure us away from the thought we all had at one time or another that Suit might be a remake of American Psycho and we will uncover the corpse just around the corner. The series is called Suit, precisely to show that that's the only thing real about them, that they are otherwise as all lawyers are (place your favorite lawyer joke here).
Flag
I wanna see Harvey working on murders and executions.
Flag
I still maintain that it would be more interesting to see him framed as a serial killer than always have these corporate cases which I frankly couldn't care less about. As for seeing him working on murder cases, he's not that type of lawyer, but still if it's to defend someone that is involved with him, like Louis being framed for murder etc....
The fact of the matter is that the way we treat others sooner than later comes to bite one in the ass, and being framed as a serial killer would be the extreme situation of that. Finally, this can open up the series to examine the easy ways that modern technology can use to steal identities, construct a frame up that can hold suspicion.
Flag
I disagree. I actually think douche Harvey is the act -- the one he has to work hardest to maintain.
Flag
Okay
Flag
Follow this Show
Members