Sunset Beach Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

I'm curious

wussycat

[1]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    How long did you watch this show before you realised it was a spoof? I had to watch 2 or 3 episodes before I realised.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dmarex

[2]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 103
    This show is totally not a spoof. It's actually a very good soap opera, which was cancelled too early. For me, the show was perfect.

Johannesna

[3]May 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    dmarex: The show didn't take itself very seriously. I mean, what made the show truly innovative was its satirizing of itself and the soap opera genre. And it frequently referenced to other shows, and sometimes the characters even asked themselves what was going on.

dmarex

[4]Jun 21, 2006
    Johannesna wrote:
    dmarex: The show didn't take itself very seriously. I mean, what made the show truly innovative was its satirizing of itself and the soap opera genre. And it frequently referenced to other shows, and sometimes the characters even asked themselves what was going on.

Yes, but still, you must admit that the show was 10,000 better than some american soap operas which air for almost 30-40 years.

AlanShore

[5]Jun 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    dmarex wrote:
    Johannesna wrote:

Yes, but still, you must admit that the show was 10,000 better than some american soap operas which air for almost 30-40 years.

I'll second that. How shows like this get cancelled and boring dreck like "The Young and the Restless" stays on is beyond me.

(No, I'm not "too stupid to understand Y&R". It's just incredibly tedious and a waste of some considerable talent.)

rubenjay1

[6]Jun 29, 2006
    • level: 16
    I've tried watching other daytime soaps and I've never liked them. I think I'm just a fan of Aaron Spelling shows cuz I LOVE 90210 and Summerland. The fact that Sunset Beach was produced by Spelling Entertainment made it that much better. This soap rocked and it should have never been canceled. COME ON, WHAT THE F*** IS PASSIONS STILL DOING ON THE AIR?!!?

dmarex

[7]Jun 29, 2006
    I guess Passions draws a lot of children to television, so NBC wants to keep it. It's no wonder to me that Sunset Beach ended like this. But, it was an amazing show, and I'd give everything to watch it all over again. The show will always stay inside of my mind as the best soap opera I've ever seen.

serggae

[9]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    IT WAS THE BEST SOAP EVER, HOW CAN YOU EVEN SAY ITS NOT, !!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

electricpeppers

[10]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 26
    I loved this soap, no way was it a spoof. I agree with someone who said it was slightly satirical; I loved the random cheesy moments. Which is generally what puts me off soaps nowadays, and now I no longer watch any. Yet while it had its moments, Sunset Beach still managed to be highly addictive and good quality TV.

jewlee14

[11]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 5
    I LOVED Sunset Beach. It didn't start out as a spoof but became that way gradually. Basically there would be no Passions without Sunset Beach. Many of the Passions wacky storylines can be seen on SB. But all in all SB>Passions.

dmarex

[12]Aug 21, 2007
    jewlee14 wrote:
    I LOVED Sunset Beach. It didn't start out as a spoof but became that way gradually. Basically there would be no Passions without Sunset Beach. Many of the Passions wacky storylines can be seen on SB. But all in all SB>Passions.

Most notably the jewel curse. It was done by Reilly, so I'm not surprised about it.