Sunset Beach Forums

NBC (ended 1999)

why sb was cancelled again

SBAngel5

[1]Oct 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    A couple years back they started airing sb again and they stoped showing it in the middle of coles search for caitlin, does anyone know whether they plan to finish showing the rest of it, I mean they didn't even show a full year of sb
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dmarex

[2]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 103
    SBAngel5 wrote:
    A couple years back they started airing sb again and they stoped showing it in the middle of coles search for caitlin, does anyone know whether they plan to finish showing the rest of it, I mean they didn't even show a full year of sb

Where was this? Are you reffering to the repeats aired on FIVE in UK?

tormeyal

[3]Nov 15, 2006
    I contacted Channel 5 - who stated that they stopped the soap as it had low ratings. I wrote back stating this was probably because it was on at 4 am on a Saturday and Sunday morning, when most people are asleep, plus they did not advertise. I know a lot of people who had started to watch it/video it! Channel 5 just did not care! Any ideas how to get this back on?

dmarex

[4]Mar 11, 2007
    tormeyal wrote:
    I wrote back stating this was probably because it was on at 4 am on a Saturday and Sunday morning, when most people are asleep, plus they did not advertise...

They aired it weekdays around 10-11 AM, but when the ratings fell, they moved it to Saturdays/Sundays and when they aired out the first 260 episodes, they decided not to buy any more episodes.

HighLowBo

[5]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    They should air more. Sarah Buxton and Susan Ward are very talented. I wished we could bring it back.

Kyran87

[6]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    This was definitely one of the best shows on Channel 5 so "low ratings" i wouldn't believe for a second.

latvfan

[7]Jul 17, 2007

It was being compared to shows that had been on the air for over 30+ years. Sunset Beach actually had a lot of "new to soap" viewers, considering it was only around for 3 years, but it was cancelled before getting a chance to attract more fans. I absolutely LOVED this show. It would be wonderful if they ever got it back on the air, but it is doubtful, as it has been so long since it was cancelled.

The networks did the same thing with Port Charles - just when it was getting interesting, and had a great cast, they pulled the plug. It is so sad, because, both shows would have been able to attract "younger" viewers, who would be able to start watching and catch on to the storylines without having to be confused with decades of past characters, etc. These newer soaps were a little crazy at times, but entertaining. Are any of the cast members available? Now that there is the internet and Soap Net, maybe bringing them back wouldn't be so far fetched. Are any of the "powers that be" listening out there?

Edited on 07/17/2007 2:24am

dmarex

[8]Aug 21, 2007
    Europe is full of "Sunset Beach" fans. The amount of success that the show had there could never be compared to America. American viewers never respected the show because they watched their milestone soaps. That's why every new show is canceled eventually. Just take a look at either "Passions" (okay, they got a new chance, but they were canceled by NBC) or "Port Charles."

clos_vf

[9]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 12
    I live in America and i loved Sunset Beach when it was on... It was the greatest soap ever... Passions was terrible i heard its still on DirectTV only on mondays through wednesday and it is eventually going to end in september i believe.

I think Sunset Beach was cancelled because they wanted to make room for the Today shows sister show Later Today. Mrs. Brady from the Brady Bunch was the host i remember and it sucked so much and that was why Passions started i believe.

vicky24c

[10]May 30, 2008
    • level: 24
    If its about the show being aired on Channel 5 (UK, I was getting up @ 4ish each weekend to tape it to watch during the week. Channel 5 have done this with a couple of shows (including Alias).

kivar5

[11]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 4
    I viewed this show in Spain. But here in Spain it hadn't so much success as in USA. Here we could see translated into spanish only the first 30 chapters. Then, they decided not to emit it anymore. I still loved that show, and I watched it on a french channel, but i didn't understand french, and left watching it. Hope sometime to find it on an english channel... but i think it's soooo difficult.

clos_vf

[12]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 12
    we can always watch it on youtube even if its repeats now! Wish they could bring it back!

roma49

[13]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 6
    in Russia they showed only 500 episodes... and there's no way they'll continue it... but we can download it - that's great )))

LauraOosterin

[14]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 2

I had never seen an episode on tv of Sunset Beach, i really adore Sunset Beach.. Sadly they never aired an episode so far as i can remember.. If they had i was only 4 years old when it started. After that they never aired it in the Netherlands.. Thanks to 2 people on youtube now i can watch my favorite drama-serie..