Super Chicken

ABC (ended 1968)

mrdivot

Super Chicken Fan Reviews (3)

• Clever writing makes this a great show at any age.

I personally love this show. After much toiling with a certain online auction site (that shall remain nameless) I finally got all the episodes on DVD, and I just enjoyed them all over again.
    The writing is still as witty as ever, with jokes and clever word play that are laugh out loud funny, and gags that never get old, like using "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." as an excuse when things go wrong (which they usually do), and mishaps with the "Super sauce" transforming Henry Cabot Henhaus III into anything from "Super Chicken" to "A bed in the county hospital" to "A heap on the ground".
    This show represents old cartoons at it's best.
  • Fun for kids and grown-ups.

Another classic from Jay Ward who brought us Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Dooright, George of the Jungle and Tom Slick.

I love this cartoon because it has jokes for kids and adults (ala WW2 era Bugs Bunny cartoons). For example, Henry's "Super Sauce" was served in a martini glass with an olive. I remeber watching this cartoon with my Dad and him laughing at stuff I didn't get. I also love the absurd villans such as the Zipper, Dr. Gizmo, Wild Ralph Hiccup, Merlin Brando and the Fat Man. Many of whom were pop culture references for the time (mid 60's). Lastly, I just love the theme song. If you want to hear it, just google "Super Chicken". There's a fan sight out there with lots of sound clips.

I wish they would put it out on DVD. Are you listening Jay Ward's estate???
  • A decent animated childrens show.

A decent animated childrens show. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you.