A Supergirl Community
Sunday 8:00 PM on The CW
  1. I'm splitting this review in two parts

1) "Better Angels" - Episode Review
2) Season One Review

1) "Better Angels" - Episode Review

I was unaware that Supergirl only had 20 episodes this season. I expected the 'Myriad' story arc to be much more involved, I thought there were 22 episodes for Season 1. My Bad.

Finding out this was the very last episode, was a surprise and pretty much dampened my expectations of a strong finale.

The gist of the first part of this episode is that somehow, 'Hope' can defeat mind control technology. Ok.. Sure.. Why not.. it's a medical fact, as Max Lord stated.

The same technology, however, upped on a serious amplitude of powers, can give humans the ultimate and final 'head'.. ache.

Go figure that one. Aspirin and Tylenol sales must have soared to explosive heights during those last 4 hrs .. TeeHee.

So the Myriad plot is defeated with the use of a goodwill message, a Super 'Think Super Happy Thoughts' type speech along with the "Super" logo showing up everywhere. I'm pretty sure that this particular technical flaw was not part of the risk analysis process of the Myriad design and implementation specs.

As the psychotic duo of Non and Indigo get to see their Myriad plot dissolve in abject failure, Indigo, ever the crafty biatch isn't one to give up that easily,

Non, being a slave to his kryptonian genitals, gets sweet talked into transforming Myriad from mind control to a lethal weapon to ahnilate humans on Earth.... Before they leave Earth.

What? Why? I mean, if you kill every human being on the planet, and all that's left is a few aliens. Why leave again? Reason? Please? Why not make that planet your home base? Yellow Sun, Super Powers, near immortality, amazing library of NetFlix stuff, popcorn, did I say Super Powers and Near Immortality?

Where is common sense when you need it?

So, with Max Lord's analysis on the predicament we all face, it would seem only a few hours are left before all of us mere mortals become victim of the ultimate headache syndrome.

Max is dead clear about Supergirl's odds, this to him is a suicide mission for her.

So, Kara takes a little bit of time, to try and sort her affairs, has a heart to heart with the ones she cares about, last is with James, and then she's back to the DEO to get ready.

James puts in a word about Supergirl's state of mind to Lucy and words gets to J'ohn J'onzz.

As Max has so aptly reminded Supergirl, she's got no backup and as such, with the blessing of General Lane, J'onn looses the cuffs and embarks with Supergirl on this dreadful mission.

Flying near the crash site of Fort Rozz, it doesn't take long for our comrades to be found by no other than Non and Indigo and a nice little battle begins. Supergirl vs Non and Martian Manhunter vs Indigo.

Our heroes win, Non got his eyes fried, and Indigo is now half of what she used to be, but the battle's not over. Fort Rozz somehow has more than enough energy to power this weapon, rigged by Indigo and its not stopping.

So Supergirl explains her plan to Alex, who is like? In space? you cant fly? no atmosphere, you will die!

Those of you who know a lil' bit about "Super" physiology, well, you are probably asking yourself the same question as me.. But be patient here.

After that nice heart-to-heart talk between Kara and Alex, (notice Alex actively looking at Kara's space ship), Supergirl lifts Fort Rozz and pushes it in space and once in space, she is helpless, and passes out, floating.

Sister Alex saves Kara, using Kara's very own spaceship to bring her back to Earth.

I asked you to be patient, that is now over, go ahead and rant and rave with me. WTF?? Supergirl cannot fly in space? Since When???? Who Comes up with this S&*T?

Has nobody involved in the making of this show EVER, read any 'Super' comic books? I mean, there is 'adaption' and then there is 'ADAPTION'.

The incredible amount of rather huge plot holes this show has consistently produced is staggering to put very mildly.

The ending, a pardon for J'ohn and his being reinstated as Director of the DEO and the speech and then the little friends/family reunion with Kara and Co, all nice touches.

And then, well, who exactly was in that kryptonian space ship which landed in National City? That was a nice cliffhanger. Who do you think? Zod? Kara's Mom? Jor-El? Rao? :) Who knows.

But clearly, this show ends with a cliffhanger and an expectation of a for Season 2. (very bold assumption, if I may add, was renewed in March 2016)

2) Season One Review

The title for this review isn't witty in the least. Sure, the review is serving a dual purpose, but still, I simply wasn't able to come up with anything fun or interesting to use as a title for this review. My heart wasn't in it, or I was not inspired, perhaps a bit of both.

I suspect it is due to the fact that this first season of Supergirl has been a huge personal disappointment to me.

I expected so much better.

Two (2) out of Twenty (20) episodes were good. Two (2)? That's it!!

"Falling" and "World's Finest" and for the last one, it should have been 2 episodes, because, let's face it, there was no real sense of danger going on, the only awesome aspect of the show that appealed to the geeks in most of us was the team-up.

Everything else in pretty much every episode of Supergirl was kinda 'meh', with a sprinkle of 'oooh', once in a while. If you consider 42 minutes of airtime per episode, and 20 episodes means 840 minutes of total airtime. Let's say we might have had perhaps 120 minutes of interesting material. I am being very generous here. There were some good moments.. I won't take them away. But very few of them. Sadly.

I won't blame the actors. No. For what it's worth, it's the material and the direction they had to work with which is the problem.

Who to blame then? WB/DC? CBS? the Showrunners? the Editors? the Writers? All of them?

Well, let's just start by saying that a house built on a foundation of bull fertilizer is doomed to cave in.

Whoever pitched this show to CBS, and whoever were part of the direction it took from its first episode, they simply did NOT know how to handle a 'Super' property.

How else can you explain this sorry excuse of a show?

So, the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". This is exactly the metaphor to use to sum up this show.

I'm not saying there wasn't anything good about Supergirl, just that the good was overshadowed by the bad. To be clear, let me list my PROS and CONS
PROS
  1. Danvers family
  2. Sister Alex
  3. DEO
  4. J'onn J'onzz
  5. Winn Schott Jr.

CONS

1. Supergirl's incoherent backstory
  2. Kara as Clark Kent 2.0
  3. The parallel of National City to Metropolis along with
  4. - CATCO
  5. - Catherine Grant
  6. - James Olsen
  7. Fort Rozz
  8. the handling of "Super" powers and abilities (very uneven and illogical all things considered)
  9. Superman

I know, Superman? really? well, hear me out, or, read the following:

Supergirl (the show) is part of the DC multiverse. CBS, the showrunners, they knew this.

In a world with Superman in it, and this type of Superman being a boy scout, if he's going to greet his very young cousin's landing on Earth, you would have the following expectations:

1) He will be like a big brother to her
2) He will share his experiences on Earth
3) He will find her a foster home (which he did)
4) He will keep tabs of her, get her to understand her abilities
5) He will introduce his fortress of solitude.

Now, understand that this makes sense.

She is the only "other" survivor of Krypton and she's family. She knows much about this world from a first hand experience and I'm sure he would want to interact with her, to be able to better understand where he came from and who his family is/was.

And let's face it, the Kents didn't raise their boy to just abandon an actual family member

By the way I did not forget Fort Rozz. Don't go anywhere yet with that, patience.

In this show, Superman finds Kara, finds her a foster home with the Danvers and life goes on.

The show explains that Superman did not want to influence Kara and let her be. "yeah right.."

Also, Superman somehow donates Kara's ship to the DEO? Really? All because of Fort Rozz? Really? More Kryptonians on Earth and he's not actively trying to deal with this? Really? Takes over 10 yrs before Supergirl joins the DEO team to deal with this? REALLY? You get my point, or so I hope.

It is rather ironic, that the best aspects of Supergirl are not strictly in the canon, and I point this out for a reason, but I'll get back to this.

What if Superman never existed on this Earth? Poor Kal-El's pod malfunctioned, he died, and Kara's pod lands and she survives.

Feasible, doable and more importantly, avoids having to deal with Superman when writing stories.

But in the case of this current universe, if they wanted to have Superman around, they could have made sure that Supergirl is her own person in all ways which matters, so, don't parallel the 'Clark Kent' story, instead, do something unique. If Superman didn't want to influence her path and gave her free range to do as best as she wants, then, be original.

Fort Rozz, that's not happening on Superman's watch, that was a huge mistake. The fact that he's got global monitoring system from his Fortress of Solitude, nothing about this makes sense.

And it seems to have landed in the same time as Kara's ship. Again, not making sense for Superman not to have dealt with this. Considering the sheer amount of Kryptonians and other Alien bad-asses available, this would have been a hell of war. With the powers they command, laying low for so long, made no sense. Does NOT compute.

Having Supergirl's ship at the DEO, again, considering the level of technologies available, Superman wouldn't just 'donate' it. In the wrong hands.. You know what I mean and considering the distrust from the US government and well probably more form of governments on Earth, why give them something which they can use to hurt him? Or his cousin Kara.

So, as I said, the best part of the Supergirl show isn't the canon part. And HAD the showrunners and CBS/WB/DC etc, UNDERSTOOD THIS, they would have created a backstory which is really unique to Supergirl and more importantly, ensure that whatever she setting and environment they would have planned, it wouldn't be set in a 'Clark Kent 2.0' type environment.

Because of the choices they made, they basically kept shooting themselves in the proverbial foot. All of these efforts, trying to circumvent Superman's involvement with rather stupid lazy writing schemes, they just created more plot holes over the initial backstory and setting which was huge to begin with. And with that, pretty much none of the logic they tried to sell us viewer was able to hit the mark.

Well for me anyways, what about you?
22 Comments
Comments (23)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Aug 02, 2016
It's too simplistic to say you can't criticize a show you continued to watch. Exxpectation plays a big part. I saw some episodes of Supergirl even after thinking the pilot was bad. I was expecting more. That's why we watched. It didn't come.

Review is spot on in my opinion.
Flag
Aug 04, 2016
Thank you.
Flag
Apr 23, 2016
Funny how people who don't like this show watched the whole thing??

I thought it was good , then again I watch a show for entertainment and not to pick it apart.
Flag
Apr 24, 2016
I enjoy a few shows, for example, Lucifer, I really enjoy this show, I also pick it apart, but it's all good to me.

However, I did the same for Supergirl, watched all 20 episodes and my reviews aren't as flattering, because to me, it was mostly a huge dissapointment, so I'm just as guilty in that regard to pick that one apart! :)
Flag
Apr 23, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
the only "cool" thing in it is Helen Slater

Flag
Apr 22, 2016
No love for Dean Cain? :)
Flag
Apr 25, 2016
True. Maybe he'll be in it more next season.
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
The show can be summed up with one word, "twee"!

Flag
Apr 22, 2016
LOL!
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
I always want to giggle when someone says "J'onn J'onzz". lol
I know it's a DC character, but come one! Not very alian sounding.
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
So true, a product of the 60s.. his first alter ego was a detective, he would shape shift to.
Flag
Apr 20, 2016
Well, for one thing Houbou...i liked the review of Nick Campbell better then yours for starters....

If you don't like the show stop watching and reviewing it i would say.
There were a lot of good things and bad things...but overall it was not that bad as mentioned above.
I agree that some moment you were like, huh...but other moments believe me i was like WOW...cool or something like that....

I think that Kara doesn't realize yet, that she can fly in space..i think that is the thing...she doesn't know the full potential of her abilities yet...and if she never had to go to space before, i can imagine that she would think like that...
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
I watched most of the series and i dont remember the point of her nnot knowing she could fly in space?? For one, she would have to know that super man can, hence she can?? And if she didnt know first hand about her cousin what about olsen, he can easily tell her about her powers as he has seen first hand as his friend is her cousin???
I dont know, just seemed every week she was weak, and fragil to the point that it turned in to a after school teen drama. I will still watch as i like the comic book shows/movies but this is the weakest of them or close to it.
Flag
Apr 20, 2016
vcivi, I respect your opinion, but please understand that I don't write to be popular and I don't work for TV.COM. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me. It's a civilized world, we should be able to agree to disagree.

I've been reading 'Super' based comics for over 43 yrs. And based on that experience along with other form of media I've experienced, I simply do not agree with your assessment of Supergirl's abilities.

And I will write reviews as best as I can, in the way that I see fit.

And I leave it to anyone who wishes to contribute an opinion to do so as they see fit.

So, whether you my reviews or not, that's up to you. I don't force you to agree with me, I also do not force you to read my post and as you can see, unlike you, I don't dictate what you should or shouldn't do. I stand by my words and I let others do the same.

That is respect.
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
Hi Houbou...

i am not planning to start a whole discussion with you...
but i still want to respond to your response...
I am not dictating anybody for starters. I see this more often here on tv.com...people who hate/dislike the show keep continue watching it and i am like...why? If you hate it or don't like it...why watch? Or is it just because then you have something bad to write about the show?

I myself have read also a lot of comics...all kinds...and to be honest, even if some moments are not how it should be with comics, i think it is still very cool that we live in a time that series like Flash, supergirl, DC legends etc..is possible. That the cartoons we have watched as kids, are coming to life in real tv...and i think that is simply awesome. So maybe because i am humble and happy that we even have a Supergirl or a Flash, that i don't want to see the bad moments or bad lines. I just try to enjoy every episode and the effort that has been put into it to make that episode happen..good or bad that is beside the point.

I had just read the review of the finale from Nick and then i saw somehow your review and it was like water and fire...so different from each other. Nick mentioned also the bad things, but gave also credit to the show which it deserves i think....Yours felt so negative. It felt like it was very hard to find something positive in that huge amount of text you have written...

Of course everybody has a right to have their opinion and share that and not everybody has to like it. I didn't and i told you so...i still respect your way of thinking of the show, but don't agree with the points you have given in your review...

That said, i still want to thank you for the time you took to respond to my message...much appreciated.

Till next season of Supergil..... or not :):):):):):):):)

More +
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
For what its worth, I don't read reviews from others if I know I will be reviewing the same episode, because I don't want to be tainted by anything they share.

Whatever Mr. Campbell wrote, I do not know the content, don't care and I say this without being disrespectful to him, I simply say this as a matter of fact.

I write my reviews as best as possible in the most honest way possible.

I don't expect to be popular, some will agree, some won't.

As for your question about liking or not liking, it's not that simple.

I watched all episodes and I kept hoping for something good.

The show was inconsistent and for the most part, very mediocre, the very few highlights in the show, and to me, clearly they were overshadowed by the rest.

And whatever I could somehow call upon as something being 'good' about the show, I ensured it was mentioned.

I realize a lot of hard working people make up that show.

But the direction and the overall storyline sucked, mostly because the entire backstory made no sense.

That's my view, that's it, and I wrote as I saw fit.

It is subjective, I agree. I'm not the authoritative expert on all things TV, for sure. I'm not paid either. My views about the show could very well be an exception to what others think.

But I have no agenda when I review a show. I'm just a guy writing a review in a community post. If I like something, you will know, if I don't, you will also know.

If I don't 'like' a show at all, I won't bother writing anything. I won't even watch it.

In the case of the Supergirl show, I'm very disappointed because I really want to like the show. And as such, I took the time to write my review because I really feel it could have been a better show.

For what its worth, TV.COM votes up my review. So, why they do that? I don't know. But obviously, whatever I have to say, doesn't offend them and seems to be good enough to be posted.

Regards,
More +
Flag
Apr 20, 2016
The plot hole that bugged me was if Khryptonians can't fly in space how was Clark dealing with a situation off planet??
Flag
Apr 20, 2016
exactly.
Flag
Apr 19, 2016
"But clearly, this show ends with a cliffhanger and an expectation of a Season 2. (very bold assumption, if I may add)"

Not bold, this is definitely gonna get renewed and everyone knows that.
Flag
Apr 19, 2016
You are correct. Good for those who are working for the show. And who knows maybe, just maybe Season 2 will be an improvement.
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
I think that season two will have to be an improvement as it will be canceled if it gets worse. I hope they do more cross overs, i know different world theory but cant barry's world have a semi above normal girl, cuase the whole first season thats all she was cuase every thing was whipping her azz. and please kill the teen drama stuff, like her having to crawl up in the baby position in her suit and cape and watch another teen drama show??????
Flag
Apr 22, 2016
Let's hope for the best! :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members