New Superman:TAS DTV Movie!

Mvickfan

[61]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    heeroyuy2006 wrote:
    . Plus, some of the goofy facial expressions just seemed out of place in the DCAU. .
    Actually it isnt in the DCAU continuity( thank God) according to wikipedia.org.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heeroyuy2006

[62]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 8
    Mvickfan wrote:
    heeroyuy2006 wrote:
    . Plus, some of the goofy facial expressions just seemed out of place in the DCAU. .
    Actually it isnt in the DCAU continuity( thank God) according to wikipedia.org.

Thanks for setting me straight, Mvickfan. I just checked it out. I hadn't heard that. I do use wikipedia a lot, but I hadn't checked out the dc animated universe article in a while. This is totally out of character for me because I'm a big proponent of fitting Teen Titans in the DCAU and connecting the other universes to it in a large multiverse where they're other dimensions, but I'm really glad this travesty isn't in the DCAU.

beowulf579

[63]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 59
    The Attack of Brainiac sucked overall. They made Lex such a spoiled loser. I don't think he reflected any of the Lex of Justice League.

The only semi "cool" part was when I think Lois looked at Clark with the shadow across his face. In my mind I think she thought it was Bruce. The shadow reminded me of Batman's cowl.

Overall...if it came before JLU...it might have been an ok film. But after everything on JLU...it was just sad.

mnemnoc

[64]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    ARE THEY KIDDING WITH THIS!?!  This movie was such a piece of drek!  First off, it is AWFUL that they would recast the voices of Lex and Brainiac.  But more than that, the story was terrible, and the way they bastardized Lex, making him this maniacal fop was horrendous.  Who wrote this?  How could Bruce Timm or Paul Dini not take control of this project and execute it properly!?!  I mean, obviously this story takes place between the Superman series and JL/JLU, so it has to fall in line with in between...  This needed a professional take on the characters AS THEY HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED!  Lex was to be egomaniacal, but stoic with a bit of debonair, instead it was looking at a tame form of the Riddler with no gimmick.  And Brainiac was to be emotionless and seeking to to digitize all matter and information into data for storage, not obsessed with data like an Arkham inmate.  And what they hell was with him laughing!?!  He's a freakin' robot!  And there's more silliness and stupidity throughout the whole of the story!  How could they!!  I mean... just... How could they!?!?!?!

heeroyuy2006

[65]Jun 18, 2006
    The good news is that the writer of BA said in an interview on World's Finest that while S:TAS character designs are used, he didn't intend BA to be in the DCAU. Also, on the DC animation forum done by World's Finest, someone posted an interesting idea on how BA fits in continuity wise. Instead of having BA in the main continuity, he/she suggests that it took place in the Justice Lords' dimension/universe. I think this would explain how BA has similarities to the DCAU main version, but also has a goofy Luthor, giggling Mercy, and emotional Brainiac unlike the mainline DCAU. However, when we saw President Luthor, he didn't seem goofy at all. My best explanation of this is over time, he became more serious and therefore more of a threat. But really, I'm not sure I even want BA in the Justice Lords'dimension/universe.

Annihilator16

[66]Jun 18, 2006
    • level: 5

mnemnoc wrote:
    ARE THEY KIDDING WITH THIS!?!  This movie was such a piece of drek!  First off, it is AWFUL that they would recast the voices of Lex and Brainiac.  But more than that, the story was terrible, and the way they bastardized Lex, making him this maniacal fop was horrendous.  Who wrote this?  How could Bruce Timm or Paul Dini not take control of this project and execute it properly!?!  I mean, obviously this story takes place between the Superman series and JL/JLU, so it has to fall in line with in between...  This needed a professional take on the characters AS THEY HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED!  Lex was to be egomaniacal, but stoic with a bit of debonair, instead it was looking at a tame form of the Riddler with no gimmick.  And Brainiac was to be emotionless and seeking to to digitize all matter and information into data for storage, not obsessed with data like an Arkham inmate.  And what they hell was with him laughing!?!  He's a freakin' robot!  And there's more silliness and stupidity throughout the whole of the story!  How could they!!  I mean... just... How could they!?!?!?!

It was Duane Cappizzi who wrote the script for "Brainac Attacks", the real reason why this DTV was created was because Warner Brothers wants to release as many dvds as possible in time for Superman Returns. If it had been helmed by Timm and Dini it would have been much better but since Warner Brothers treats both of them like garbage it didn't happen.

mnemnoc

[67]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 10
    How do they treat the duo like garbage? Is that the reason why they've let the DCAU shut down? And I don't CARE if the guy didn't intend it to be part of the DCAU. If they wanted to create something new, they should have gone with new designs like they did with Batman (though it's still pretty close, frankly). And the characters aren't reverant to the comic versions either.

heeroyuy2006

[68]Jun 19, 2006
    mnemnoc wrote:
    How do they treat the duo like garbage? Is that the reason why they've let the DCAU shut down? And I don't CARE if the guy didn't intend it to be part of the DCAU. If they wanted to create something new, they should have gone with new designs like they did with Batman (though it's still pretty close, frankly). And the characters aren't reverant to the comic versions either.

You're absolutely right! However, from what I understand, the DCAU isn't over yet. There are plans in the work for new series in the DCAU. However, details haven't been released yet. One rumor is that a Brave and the Bold series is being planned. However, nothing has been confirmed as far as I know.

kanniballl

[69]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 18
    I was so depressed Saturday night.  I got so hyped up about Cartoon Network's airing of this that I started looking around nearby stores to buy the box sets to watch on Sunday.  In the end, it was so horrible.

I could get around the different voice actors (though they were bad as well) and while I didn't think the animation was great I ignored that as well.

Lex's portrayal and lines were abyssmal (I'm routing for you, man).  In the series as well as JLU he was dominating, while here he was a snivelling idiot.

Any oh my God was the plot done poorly.  I mean, the 2-sentence plot sounds solid enough.  Superman struggles with the decision to tell Lois his secret.  Complicating matters, Braniac arrives and teams up with Lex to take out the man of steel once and for all, catching Lois in the crossfire.  Sure, it's a little weak for a movie but for a DTV cartoon movie it's decent.

But no, they had to have the "magic ore" to protect him from kryptonite, and the Disney-esque scene of his tears and hug save her and the endless fight scenes.  It was really really bad.

I'll still probably start watching the DVDs next weekend though, to get pumped for "Returns"

ToniMontana804

[70]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 15
    One part that seemed silly............. **********SPOILERS******** ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ................Superman freezing Brainiac to defeat him. Man, if it was that easy, why didn't Supes used that power on him in Justice League?
    Edited on 06/19/2006 4:47pm

enervator

[71]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 38

Just recorded this this afternoon and finished watching it a little while ago.  Even fast forwarding through the commercials, this just felt like a long movie, which is never a good thing, especially since even with commercials it was only 90 minutes.

I won't rehash what everyone else has said.  I will just agree that it definitely wasn't good.  I was hoping that releases like this one would help carry me since JLU was cancelled, but not if they're all going to be like this.

Annihilator16

[72]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 5

The reason why they mistreat Timm and Dini is because those at Brothers Animation are a bunch of greedy simpletons, they care more about money than creating quality animated projects.

Bruce Timm/Paul Dini D.C.A.U. is over, this new D.C. universe is a peice of garbage,  programs like The Batman,  The Legion of Super-Heroes, Superman:The Animated Adventures are/will all resemble anime programs this all started with Sam Register's Teen Titans.

someguy0830

[73]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 27

Quick venting.

Braniac: Too much emotion.
    Lex: Too much of an idiot.
    Phantom Zone: Where to start?

The list goes on, but I don't feel like writing it. They really could have done better. Superman Returns better make up for this.
    Edited on 06/19/2006 9:57pm

beowulf579

[74]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 59
    ToniMontana804 wrote:
    One part that seemed silly............. **********SPOILERS******** ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ................Superman freezing Brainiac to defeat him. Man, if it was that easy, why didn't Supes used that power on him in Justice League?

He ran out of his ice breakers gum to do it in JLU...lol.

Supermeng

[75]Jun 22, 2006
    After watching this movie, I considered hanging myself. I looked around my apartment for a good place to string up a rope that would be strong enough to support my weight. Then I realized that I have other reasons to live but sadly, watching this DTV again is not one of them.

swtt

[76]Jun 23, 2006
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Quick venting.

Braniac: Too much emotion.
    Lex: Too much of an idiot.
    Phantom Zone: Where to start?

The list goes on, but I don't feel like writing it. They really could have done better. Superman Returns better make up for this.

You forgot Mercy: acting like Lex's boyfriend she never sat on his desk like that before.

Supermeng

[77]Jun 23, 2006
    Basically, it seems like they tried to make the relationship between Lex and Mercy more like the relationship between Lex and Ms. Teschmacher (or maybe Kitty Kowalski) from the movies.

swtt

[78]Jun 23, 2006
    I see now thanks.

ToniMontana804

[79]Jul 24, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 07/24/2006 4:51pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ToniMontana804

[80]Jul 24, 2006
    I'm glad the movie's not canon because there are way too many goofs.

1.) The Fortress of Solitude gets blown up, meaning the aliens Superman caged up are dead, including the one that took over his mind later in the future. Not to mention his secret fortress reappears in Justice League and Batman Beyond.

2.) Lex Luthor wants to take over the world??? JLU version of Lex maybe, but not SupermanTAS Lex. Back then, He was an obnoxious business man who just wants to kill Superman to keep him from interfering in his shady deals and smuggling operations. He had no desire to rule the world like some saturday morning cartoon villian.

3.) Where did Brainiac come from? He just came from space. The only time we've seen him defeated in space was that Batman/Superman crossover where Supes impersonated Batman.