Something I noticed about Superman and Lex Luthor in the new movie

ToniMontana804

[1]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 15

I notice Routh, who plays Superman, looks just like Christopher Reeve, and the new guy who plays Lex Luthor,  looks just like Gene Hackman. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or intentional?

Seriously, when I saw Routh as Clark Kent, I thought he was Reeve for a second! I think it's awsome that the actors resemble the original ones!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

greengumballs

[2]Jul 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    they tried to get everyone to match up as best as possible, and Kevin spacy i think kind of wanted the part of luthor

piper77

[3]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    I don't think Spacey and Hackman look alike, but Routh and Reeves do. Lois look nothing alike in the two versions.

superman8119

[4]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 25
    I like Tom Welling, and Michael Rosebaum better.

realakuma75

[5]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 3

I´m a great fan of Superman, but they are giving me a hard time lately. I loved his TAS and JL series, and I´m a big fan of Lois & Clark, but I despise Smallville oh-so-much because they are ravaging the origins of not only Superman, but a growing series of characters to sell them to the teenagers as some kind of Dawson´s Creek with super powers. I mean, Perry White a drunk and a loser.Mikhail Mxyzptlk? What´s that about? And Lois Lane? Now it seems that Kansas is 10 miles from Metropolis -which is supposed to be near NY- and Smallville is the place to go!

I had very low expectations with this new movie, seeing the first images, learning about the plots... that´s not Superman. But I was rather pleased with Kevin Spacey playing Luthor.

Annihilator16

[6]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 5
    realakuma75 wrote:
     I´m a big fan of Lois & Clark, but I despise Smallville oh-so-much because they are ravaging the origins of not only Superman, but a growing series of characters to sell them to the teenagers as some kind of Dawson´s Creek with super powers. I mean, Perry White a drunk and a loser.Mikhail Mxyzptlk? What´s that about? And Lois Lane? Now it seems that Kansas is 10 miles from Metropolis -which is supposed to be near NY- and Smallville is the place to go!

I had very low expectations with this new movie, seeing the first images, learning about the plots... that´s not Superman. But I was rather pleased with Kevin Spacey playing Luthor.

Not a huge fan of Lois and Clark, but I agree with you on Smallville, its basically Dawson's Creek meets the X-Files, what I also hate about it is that DC might put some of the characters from Smallville into the Superman comics one day, for example DC has the rights to the character of Chloe Sullivan.

As for Superman Returns I have nothing bad or good to say about it since I have not seen the film yet.

Edited on 08/08/2006 3:30pm

superman8119

[7]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 25
    Annihilator16 wrote:
    realakuma75 wrote:
     I´m a big fan of Lois & Clark, but I despise Smallville oh-so-much because they are ravaging the origins of not only Superman, but a growing series of characters to sell them to the teenagers as some kind of Dawson´s Creek with super powers. I mean, Perry White a drunk and a loser.Mikhail Mxyzptlk? What´s that about? And Lois Lane? Now it seems that Kansas is 10 miles from Metropolis -which is supposed to be near NY- and Smallville is the place to go!

Not a huge fan of Lois and Clark, but I agree with you on Smallville, its basically Dawson's Creek meets the X-Files, what I also hate about it is that DC might put some of the characters from Smallville into the Superman comics one day, for example DC has the rights to the character of Chloe Sullivan.

As for Superman Returns I have nothing bad or good to say about it since I have not seen the film yet.

You have to go see the movie it's awesome.

Drakken_Shego

[8]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 15

I can't STAND Smallville either! I watched 1 or 2 eps(actually I forced myself) and I will never watch that show again! You guys are right on it being like crappy Dawson's Creek! It's terrible that this show is so popular! Poor Superman!
    I actually liked the movie but was disappointed with Lois Lane. Kate Bosworth has a girl next door look. I always thought Lois Lane had an exotic beauty like Hedy Lamarr and Vivien Leigh. But anyways yeah Brandon Routh looked a lot like Christopher Reeve through half the movie and there was parts where Kevin Spacey was at a certain angle and he looked dead-on like Gene Hackman. I thought the casting was done well except for Lois.

Edited on 08/20/2006 12:15am

sylent_asassin

[9]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 26
    With Smallville, you have to keep an open mind and realize that this is a totally different continuity. I absolutely HATED the Smallville pilot, but decided to let loose a bit and enjoyed the show afterwards.

With regard to Routh, I thought with today's CGI and special effect magic, they could have done a better job making his eyes look authentic. You could clearly tell they were contacts.

captaintombatch

[10]Oct 30, 2008
    • level: 32
    I think that it was intentional that they could find actors that greatly resembled the characters from the earlier Superman Movies. By the way, Superman II and III were not good at all. Superman Returns is better than both of them combined, but not as good as the first Superman movie in 1978. Kevin Spacey isn't really a Lex Luthor type actor though, but I liked the movie nonetheless.

Genetic_Code

[11]Oct 30, 2008
    • level: 14
    I thought Lois Lane was miscast. I think Rashida Jones would have been a better choice.

seto1

[12]Dec 11, 2008
    • level: 16
    superman returns was beautiful visually but was boring story wise i prefer superman 2 anyday