Superman or Smallville

JUSTAFANOFTV

[1]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 11
    Which show do you like better?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Annihilator16

[2]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 5

Being that this is a forum dedicated to Superman: TAS I pick Superman:TAS.

Smallville by the way is a horrible program, a combination of  Dawson's Creek and the X-Files, with awful acting and writing.

The episode of  Superman:TAS's "New Kids in Town"  gives a better portrayal of Clark Kent as a teenager than virtually any episode of Smallvile.

RaizenYusuke

[3]Jun 4, 2006
    • level: 28
    Hard to say I think I like Smallville a little better than Superman the Animated Series.If you want fair feed back you should probably post this on the Smallville forum as well.
    Edited on 06/04/2006 11:45pm

Supermeng

[4]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 15
    I love both shows. I really can't pick which I like better

swtt

[5]Jun 9, 2006
    • level: 18
    I like them both to but I would choose S:TAS

Aldrius

[6]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 10
    I can't stand Clark or Lana. They just... ruin it.

Thus: Superman: The Animated Series. Atleast Lois is cool in it...

kanniballl

[7]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 18
    I like the non-filler episodes from Smallville.  The ones part of the greater story for each season, like the recent season's episodes about Brainiac, Zod's arrival, and Lionel.  The filler episodes were usually pretty bad.

Also, while I think Kristin "Lana" Krueck is doing a great job I hate the writing for her.  When she has a good episode she does pretty well, but lately they've been writing her as an unlikable pain.

Superman: TAS was great though.  I'm thinking of picking up the box sets.

S-Shield

[8]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 21

Superman the Animated Series

I probably would have picked Smallville after the end of it's first season.  At the time it was fantastic for all the raw potential it still had.  But after four more seasons of it, the premise has run it's course.  Still, the best episodes of Smallville are greater than just about anything.  The only problem is that they are few and far between.  Superman the Animated Series is a bit more low key, but it's more even throughout in terms of quality.

Edited on 06/20/2006 7:53pm

bacon_is_sweet

[9]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    Annihilator16 wrote:

Smallville by the way is a horrible program, a combination of Dawson's Creek and the X-Files, with awful acting and writing.

The episode of Superman:TAS's "New Kids in Town" gives a better portrayal of Clark Kent as a teenager than virtually any episode of Smallvile.

of course, superman

white_roses_975

[10]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 8
    smallville.  exept im only just starting to like lana.  before she was shalow and STUPID  like thinking she could rescue lex all on her own with no weapons up against 2 huge guys with guns.  nice one

KeeganKirby

[11]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 3
    Smallville

kerfootw

[12]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 14
    Annihilator16 wrote:

Smallville by the way is a horrible program, a combination of  Dawson's Creek and the X-Files, with awful acting and writing.

The episode of  Superman:TAS's "New Kids in Town"  gives a better portrayal of Clark Kent as a teenager than virtually any episode of Smallvile.

What are you, crazy?!  I'm not saying which is better but Smallville is NOT a bad show!

P. S.  What the hell's wrong with the X-Files?!

Edited on 11/10/2006 6:36pm

ERIC524892

[13]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    It would be a close call if it was nearing the end of Smallville's third season. But now... Superman: TAS takes the win, easily.

Smallville is supposed to be a show about Superman growing up. Well, he's already met Perry and sees Lois and Jimmy on a daily basis. And he's still living in Smallville. That alone makes the show inferior to S:TAS. He's also met many future superheroes already. It's gonna be one big freakin' reunion at both the Daily Planet and with the Justice League.

Also, Smallville writers really botch certain characters in a lame attempt to be "original." Like with Mxyzptlk. They shouldn't have even bothered. Using something over the radio waves, they got rid of his power. They completely killed the mythos there. Not like it was their first time, mind you.

And how would everyone here (who hasn't seen Smallville) feel if I told you that for this season's premiere, Clark had to fight a Zod-possessed Lex Luthor. That's right, Zod's "spirit" possessed Lex. The only good part was when he stuck Lana to the wall by impaling her hand.

Oh, and there was a short story arc (3 episodes, 2 of which were consecutive) involving Clark being romantically involved with a psychotic girl who could teleport.

Kryptonite is used way too much, though I'll admit we've seen less of it recently. Though he's already been affected by Red Kryptonite like three times. Once was plenty for the series. Sorry about the rant.

I've seen every episode of Justice League, most episodes of S:TAS, and every episode of Smallville so far. Superman: TAS and the following Justice League show are far superior to Smallville.

Oh, and by the way. In a recent Smallville episode, Jimmy saved Lex and Lana from a tiny hidden dimension by using radio waves. Consider that before deciding which is better.

green_arrow92

[14]Dec 16, 2006
    • level: 20
    Between the 2 I pick Smallville, Don't get me wrong I still like Superman TAS.

Willy105

[15]Jan 7, 2007
    That's a hard one, but I would pick Superman, becouse it's rare to find a good animated show these days.

Willy105

[16]Jan 7, 2007

Smallville isn't exactly as good as Superman becouse it's not a superhero show.

Smallville tries to be like Batman Begins, which focuses on relating rather than superhero.

Superman doesn't work that well when made emotional, he works best when making us believe somebody can fly, like Christopher Reeve's Superman or the Superman TV show.

Annihilator16

[17]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 5
    kerfootw wrote:

What are you, crazy?!  I'm not saying which is better but Smallville is NOT a bad show!

P. S.  What the hell's wrong with the X-Files?!

There's nothing wrong with the X-Files it was a great program, but it's run lasted too long.

Smallville is awful,  it heavily rips off's the X-Files formula (in each season just like the X-Files, some episodes deal with the "monster-of-the-week", while others deal with a major storyline), the lead actors are terrible, it has a really repetitive romance, unnecessary teen angst, and huge plotholes: when Lois Lane first meets Clark, he's not wearing glassses. So how will he be able to keep his secret safe from her when he becomes Superman ?  Practically every original program on the CW is crap only Veronica Mars is great.

Edited on 01/08/2007 8:02pm

JERZHEDEVIL

[18]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 9
    def..smallville!

RHam_01

[19]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 14
    IMHO you can't or shouldn't compare the two.. both are good shows in their own right.

Smallville is about a teenage Clark Kent before he became Superman while S:TAS is an animated show about Superman post his Clark Kent days.

realakuma75

[20]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    Annihilator16 wrote:

I cannot agree more with you