Superman: The Animated Series

Identity Crisis

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Sep 15, 1997 on The WB

• The golden-hearted Doppelgänger.

Bizzaro's story dates back 1958 when he first appeared in the edition #68 of SUPERBOY. A doppelgänger is defined as a "spiritual or ghostly double or counterpart" or "apparitional double of a living person," in other words: an evil twin. This theme has been used in comics and shows like Star Trek, He-Man, and Hercules. Bizzaro is the closest thing to Superman's doppelgänger.

The episode started off brilliantly, however I only realized about its brilliance later. Superman saves a little boy and delivers him the cheesiest speech I ever heard in this series:

"I know it's tough to avoid a dare, but sometimes being brave means using your head"

This was completely out of character, because in this version, Superman was conceived as a man of less words and more action. So, this gave me the most awkward feeling I ever had while watching one episode of Superman. But everything changed all of the sudden Superman saves Clark Kent's life! This was by far the best twist I saw in this show. It literally got my attention to see what would turn out form this predicament. Soon it all started to make sense as we realize that the cheesy Superman is, in fact, fake, as he happens to be a clone.

It was very bold of the writers to have Superman saying that corny speech at the beginning, because it was for that same reason that the Silver Age Superman was criticized for; he was regarded as being too childish, and he was than rewritten for a more mature audience.

It was also nice to see Lex back at his old ways. Since "My Girl" that he hasn't played any important part in Superman, because the series has been trying to focus on other villains, for a change. But once again, Lex acts as we all know him to be like: manipulative, calculative and ruthless. He doesn't show any kind of concern for Bizarro's feelings, for him he his just a disposable tool. From all of his schemes this is, by far, the most inhumane. Seeing all those clones in those tubes was chilling, and the way that Lex was willing to disposed of them really illustrates his lack of character.

Timothy Daly, who also voices Superman, did a fantastic job voicing Bizarro, he was almost unrecognizable. He pulled it off quite well in portraing a disturbed and troublesome, however innocent, antagonist. Every scene involving Bizarro was great; his naivety was as funny as entertaining. Bizarro is often regarded as Superman's villain, but he isn't really evil in the core. He just has a child's mentality and an identity crisis, and this along with Superman's powers create a dangerous mixture. In the end, Bizarro is only trying to do what he was 'programmed' to do: be a hero, however his lack of judgment makes him cause more trouble than good deeds.

This episode was one of the most emotional and touching up to now. There were some dramatic scenes, and Bizzaro's sacrifice – although predictable – was really moving. Bizarro is the only of all Superman's adversaries that we can really feel sorry for. The ending is one of the most said of the series so far.

The plot is simply flawless; the only fault of this episode is its mediocre animation. I think that if it had the animation quality of "The Prometheon," this would definitely be the best Superman episode.