Superman: The Animated Series

The WB (ended 2000)

beowulf579

Superman: The Animated Series Fan Reviews (48)

• Super

Not a gritty or dark as Batman The Animated Series but still has great style and animation. Most of the stories are good and the last 4 or 5 really set up the universe for the Justice League cartoons. One of the things i really enjoyed was that Superman was not completely unbeatable. he could be harmed could not move planets and was in some ways very flawed. it was a refreshing take on the character.
  • It's not Batman: The Animated Series, but Superman is more of a friendlier show for everyone that is still fun to watch.

Comic book characters are no stranger to TV shows or movies, and the most commonly used heroes were the X-Men, Batman, Spiderman, and of course Superman. Superman has had shows dating all the way back to the 50s and still has shows like Smallville to this day. Superman has also had animated shows for kids and all of them are successful, but his most powerful animated series is the 90s version. Following the success of Batman: TAS, Superman basically tells the beginning and the life of Superman. You have all your favorite characters like Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, Darksied, Parasite, and so on. The animation is very similar to Batman: TAS, but the atmosphere is not as dark. The shows does a great job explaining the coming of Superman, and how the villains came to become who they are. The action scenes are great and will keep you attached to the show as Superman fights valiantly against his foes. The show is not as dark as Batman: TAS, but in some episodes, especially the last two episodes, it can get dark, but it's not harmful at all. Superman was a great TV cartoon while it lasted and is the best TV cartoon of Superman to this day, if you haven't seen it, there are DVDs of the seasons that you can watch. It's just a great show that is brilliantly well done.
  • Excellent show, but not as good as Batman: TAS. Please, read this complete review about the show, the DVDs, the villains, animation and more!

Plase keep in perspective that I am NOT a die-hard Superman fan, so I'm not familiar with the history of the character.

I would have never watched this show if it wasn't for Batman The Animated Series, but you must know, that everything coming from Bruce Timm & CO is a must watch. The first part from "The Last Son Of Krypton" and you're hooked with it. Voices are the same high quality as the entire DCAU. Tim Daly pulls an amazing Superman, Dana is THE perfect Lois Lane, Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor for me, and the list goes on and on and on.

Animation is great. While it was not as thin and cheap looking as "The New Batman Adventures" (don't get me wrong, that animation looked great) it wasn't as good as the animation in Batman Animated Series. While Batman TAS had the best animation, there were some episodes that had HORRIBLE animation, but with Superman this doesn't happen. While the best animation went for the first bunch of episodes and the most important ones during the show, it never hit a low point of bad animation, it was always great, consistent and with very few imperfections.

My only complaint about the show (and the reason I'm not givin' it a 10 rating) was that the quality in terms of story telling and specialy, character development went a little bit downhill as the show progressed. In the first season of the show, although all the episodes had their own villain and story, it had a season long arc about Proffesor Hamilton investingating Kryptonian tecnology, such as the Phantom Zone projector, Superman's ship, etc; all of this dissapeared from Season 2 until the end of the show. In fact, Hamilton doesn't appear again until the last episode of the show. Lex Luthor (THE superman enemy) was in almost every episode of Season 1 (not as the main villain) and then appeared in some of Season 2 and almost nothing until the last episode. The show forgot about developing characters and started making new stories with new villains or new heroes that had no influence on the show's continuity.

When all of this happened, villains that had only an episode in the show, returned, and were ruined. Some of them are: Toyman (from the excellent "Fun and Games" to the lame "Obssesion"), Mala and Jax-Ur (from the great "Blast From The Past" to the middly entertaining "Absolute Power") and Mr. Mxyzptlk (from the hilarious "Mxyzpixilated" to lame team-up episode "Little Big Head",that also ruined Bizarro).

This is why I like Volume 1 better tan 2 or 3, because all the episodes are connected. Volume 2 and 3 have episodes that stand out from the rest (the great "The Late Mr Kent", "Apokolips Now", etc) but Volume 1 is more consistent and I enjoy it a little bit more.

But there was a series-long arc. The Darkseid story is one of the best things of this show. Starting in small cameos, to indirect villains to mind-controlling Superman, the Darkseid arc kept you wanting for more in every episode and I liked them all (except maybe, "Father's Day", although it had a nice end, with the meeting of Superman and Darkseid).

Overall, this show is amazing. It doesn't have the same impact on me as the Batman shows, but it's really nice to watch and have fun at any time, and get away from the moody Batman for once!
  • Superman is lame.

1.5
    A guy with collosal strength and can fly. (sarcasm) Amazing. NOT! It is nothing more than a mere disgrace to super heros out there. This is so pitiful and should have been banned from public television a long time ago. Superman just makes me wanna blow chunks. He is no hero.
  • About superman keeping metropolis safe.

This is show came after Batman:tas, it is just as good if not better in my opinion. The relationsip between Lois and Superman/Clark is great right from the begining. The crossovers with batman are great, and provide some of my favorite episodes. This show was great and i am happy they are making a movie from it soon. They just bring the whole show back.

• Serving as both one more crossover with the Dark Knight and a more proper, unofficial series finale to The New Batman Adventures, Batman returns to Superman: The Animated Series. Time for some destiny fulfillin'?

Fantastic episode, the last episode before the phenomenal two-part series finale in fact. Batman/Bruce Wayne returns to Superman: The Animated Series after his own revamp show has already ended, having one more epic confrontation with Ra's Al Ghul along the way. Crossovers are always fun, just look at Buffy & Angel or some of the Star Trek shows for examples why. But with Bruce Timm's DC Animated Universe, they're always memorable, this one possibly being the best (well, next to "Epilogue" in JLU). This is the final time Clark and Bruce will interact before the forming of the Justice League begins and it's shown here most notably that even a hero like Superman can always need some saving.
  • Superman: The Animated Series follows the story of Clark Kent (a.k.a Superman, Kal-el) as he fights off a multitude of villians in Metropolis including famous characters such as Darkseid, Brainiac, and of course the infamous Les Luthor.

Superman: The Animated Series is a show that any fan of Superman will enjoy. It does a marvelous job of capturing the magic of Superman through all aspects. If you like Superman comics, books, movies, or you just want to watch something a little different from most cartoons then Superman: The Animated Series might be what you are looking for.

Superman came from the ancient planet Krypton which was destroyed when a series of chain reactions from within the planet destroyed itself. Kal-El's father, Jor-El, knew of this beforehand yet couldn't convince the other Kryptonians that it was actually true because their "all knowing" computer system, Brainiac, said otherwise. In a desperate attempt to save his son Jor-El launched him into space in a specially designed pod that was created for Kal-El in the even that he must use it to escape the doomed planet.

Kal-El made it to Earth and was found by Johnathan and Martha Kent. Johnathan and Martha raised Kal-El as Clark Kent who was later secretly Superboy as a teenager in the small Kansas town known as Smallville.

After being Superboy in the small Kansas town, Smallville, Clark moved to the big city (Metropolis) and took on the new persona, SuperMAN. Under this new persona Superman fights off evil that threatens the life of Metropolis; his love interest, Lois Lane; and his best friend, Jimmy Olsen, and ultimately saves the city of Metropolis from certain desctruction mutliple times.

Overall Score: 9.6

dirtydog1992
  • Four words. One promise. Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Superman: The Animated Series holds true to the Superman I know best. He fights the bag guys. He never lets ANYONE die. His love belongs to Lois Lane. And he's a farm boy at heart.

Superman has been around for 70 years. Exactly 70 years, as we celebrated the birth of his legacy this past February 29th. Superman has a strict code kept about him. He never kills. He never lies (except of course, when portraying himself as Clark Kent, keeping his superpowers a secret). He grew up on a humble farm with loving parents. If any writer were to stray from the tight guideline surrounding the Man of Steel, the story would be rejected at large by all Kal-El's true fans.

And now we come to my opinion of the show.

I give this show a 9.8 out of 10! The 0.2 points taken away are only the result of some awkward animations throught the series. This show is, and will always be, a classic in the eyes of late 80's - early 90's Superman fan's across America. It is easy to watch, and shows only the good in the Man of Steel. There aren't the gritty backplots that are sometimes weaved into the comics. Pure, simple, and eloquent are the words I chose to use when describing Superman: The Animated Series. :)
  • Superman the animated series is a decent show, jetix just keeps showing the same few episodes

I think it is a pretty good show. Two of my three kids watch it with me and we talk about it. Our only problem with it and main concern is that jetix shows the same few episodes repeatedly and we are tired of it. I told them about the episode where brainiac captures bruce wayne setting off a crimewave in gotham because batman seems to be out of commission. robin calls flyboy and he leaves metropolis to help out in gotham just in time for bane to show up intending to kill batman anyway. however he doesnt realize that he just jumped on superman dressed as batman and catches a beatdown for his error. my kids watch everyday hoping to see that episode but it never airs. i found this website hoping to be able to reach the jetix people and request showing all the episodes not just five or six. if anyone can help us out, we would appreciate it. still a fan for now, junior
  • The lone survivor from the doomed planet Krypton becomes the world's greatest superhero. In his quest for truth and justice, Superman will face such powerful enemies as Lex Luther, Mxyzptlk, Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo and much more.

Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! You know the rest. From the pages of DC Comics, the lone survivor from the doomed planet Krypton develops superhuman abilities on Earth and grows to be the world's strongest superhero. In his quest for truth and justice, Superman will face such powerful enemies as Lex Luther, Mxyzptlk, Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo and much more. From the creators of the award-winning "Batman: TAS", this enjoyable animated series is the most faithful adaptation of the popular comic book character in recent decades. All episodes contain entertaining storylines, refreshing characters and rousing action. The animation is brighter and more colorful than the unique gothic style in "Batman: TAS". The series features the fine voice talents of Tim Daly (Wings), Dana Delany (Tombstone) and Clancy Brown (Carnivale). "Superman: TAS" met with significant success due to the overwhelming popularity of "Batman: TAS".
  • Superman is born Kal-El on the planet Krypton. rocketed to Earth by his father moments before the planet's destruction.raised by a Kansas farmer and wife, he is raised Clark Kent.the character develops superhuman abilities, used 2benefit humanity.

Superman is filled with adventure and fighting yet in cartoons. Superman is a classic he fights all his villans and is with lois lane. hidden from super powerness he is Clark kent

superman is good as i said its a classic it is fun to watch and is not boring. superman battles many enemies and protects his city. Superman the ultra strong Krypotnite man only has one weakness kryptonite. Green kills, red mutates (temporarily), yellow erases his powers, etc..... if you would like watch superman i know its on cartoon network if not thats ok you can also check out superman movies
  • Best Superman Cartoon adaption. Wish they continued the series.

This is my personal favorite Superman cartoon. Really wish it was still going. Also really wish Boomerang was still airing the old episodes. The new "The Batman" series now airing on The CW doesn't even compare to this Classic Superman: the animated series. Everyone did a wonderful job with this cartoon. Tim Daly really gave life to Superman in this Super classic.
  • I love this show but.......

I love this show but I like Batman way, way, way better. I see lots of heros with super powers like the powerpuff girls. I rated it high because of all the action. I like Batman better because it looks more cooler and Im getting tried of heros having super powers and Batman doesnt have super powers like Superman. Superman flies to get in to the air and Batman uses gadgets to get to the air. It can be boring with the super powers but I wish I can fly, have strong muscles, and have heat vision. This show is still good.
  • Only suffers when compared to "Batman: The Animated Series," otherwise a strong take on the Man of Steel.

Lightning did not strike twice for Bruce Timm and his associates when they turned their attention to Superman. Their take on Batman had (rightfully) been hailed as not only one of the best animated programs of all time, but also one of the best portrayals of the Dark Knight in any form. Hopes were high when "Superman: The Animated Series" premiered, but the show sometimes did not soar as high as its star.

One thing the show got right was casting. Tim Daly as Superman, Dana Delaney as (the best, in my opinion) Lois Lane, and Clancy Brown as the smoothest, darkest Lex Luthor of them all. Kudos for bringing Delaney and Brown back for "Justice League." Supporting players like George Dzundza, Malcolm McDowell, David Kaufman, Miguel Ferrer, Carl Lumbly and many more give the performances the same richness of the older Batman episodes.

My biggest beef with the show? Plots and strength of villains. Batman has the advantage, the best Rogues' Gallery in comics. Superman, aside from Lex Luthor and Darkseid has mostly B-string foes. Most of the early shows are smash-ups. Superman faces an opponent, struggles at first, comes back strong, and wins. Character development? Dramatic tension? Sacrificed for alien bad guys and monsters.

Season 2 of this show improves by raising the stakes. Darkseid and his minions make early appearances, and Batman comes to town to foil a Joker/Luthor team-up. The Batman/Superman dynamic was something this show NAILED, and it made Superman into a more interesting character by having him bounce off Batman's methods. Still, a crop of episodes involving giant monkeys and rock creatures hurt and are tough to watch. The season is mostly redeemed though by "The Late Mr. Kent," a taut film noir-inspired outing where Superman must save a death row inmate and the real killer targets Clark Kent. The influence of the George Reeves 1950s series and its hardboiled take on Superman is apparent here.

Season 3 brings Darkseid to the forefront. A supporting character is killed off (a first for the DC Animated Universe), Superman faces his ultimate foe and may lose the support of humanity. Green Lantern and Aquaman turn up, and Batman returns in two more classic episodes. The two part finale, "Legacy," is awesome as it actually brings some degree of closure to this series, while setting up the mythology to continue in subsequent shows.

Arguably, this show paved the way for the all-out fantastic "Justice League," with its guest appearances by The Flash, Dr. Fate, Green Lantern, Batman, Steel, Supergirl and Aquaman, as well as the New Gods. "Batman" and "Justice League" are better shows, but with a character like Superman (a big Boy Scout who can take on just about anybody), the producers acquit themselves well. The stories are better when they are earth-bound and involve real people and emotions, but the voice talent is always strong, and it's hard not to enjoy it when you see Clark open his shirt to reveal that blue costume and red cape.
  • He wears his underpants over his pants. Hahahahahaha!

Funny litte show! Superman was an animated series that premiered on September 6, 1996. The series was created following the success of Batman: The Animated Series , Superman was based on the popular Superman comics created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. The series focused on the adventures of Superman an incredibly powerful crime fighter from the planet Krypton who defends Metropolis from a variety of supercriminals that include Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Metallo, The Parasite, Livewire, The Toyman, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Darkseid, Lobo, Jax-Ur, and Mala. Superman's secret identity is Clark Kent a mild-mannered reporter for the newspaper "The Daily Planet". There Superman worked with fellow reporter Lois Lane and photographer Jimmy Olsen. The series opened with an hour and a half long show that featured the origin of Superman and the exploits of Superman's Kryptonian father who was attempting to save his planet from world-wide catastrophe and the planet's artificial intelligence Brainiac. In latter seasons, the show feature guest appearances by a variety of other famous comic book heroes including Supergirl, Batman, Robin, The Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, The New Gods and Steel. In 1997, episodes of Superman were broadcast alongside episodes of Batman Gotham Knights and reruns of Batman: the Animated Series under the title The New Batman/Superman Adventures .
  • it's a great show and it'sgot good action.

it's a good show with action of superman and the amazing episode plots to it makes it a great show altogether with the classic villians like lex luthor, metallo, parasite, lobo, and brainiac make it actiony and a good show and it's worth watching, it's what make a show great.
  • great show...

The writers of baman the animated series really knew what they were doing when they created this show. They kind of switched to a different style of animation and the colour looked better than in batman. They also brought batman back while using this show. They later spun off into justice league. Tim Daly really does a good job voicing superman he brings the character alive, but he didnt do the voice for superman in justice league. of course you cant forget classic villain like lex luthor, Brainiac, A whole bunch more. the best episodes of this series are when he teams up with other DC characters. I also have some of the dvds which are always great to watch. Later...
  • This show is what brought Superman into the new millenium.

This show is what brought Superman into the new millenium. Brought to us by the makers of the Batman-TAS of the early '90's this was this generation's first real animtaed depiction of Superman. The show was filled with crisp visuals and introduced classic Superman villains (Lex Luthor, Toyman and Bizarro) with a modern twist to a whole new generation while at the same time introducing newer foes (Metallo, Parasite and Livewire). Superman, as was later acknowledged by creators of the TAS, had his powers somewhat downsized to make the show more interesting. Along the way he would encounter some of his future Justice League teamates Batman, Aquaman, Steel and Green Lantern.
  • Modern and classic Superman in one.

Superman is the superhero I like most, cut I consider this series a bit under Batman TAS, despite the improvements in the quality of the animation and the excellent work of the writers.

Maybe because Batman TAS was first, this series´ worst problem is the lack of originality, but only because it is basically a sequel to the successful work with the Dark Knight.

The second series of the DCAU presents us all these characters we all know and love updated, following the renovation DC made in its main characters and their universe, but also adding that classical bit that made them so special.
    This is the case of Clark Kent himself, neither as mild-mannered as in the old comic book nor as self- confident as John Byrne redefined him in 1986, or Lex Luthor, presented as in the comic books of that time, as the cold, evil owner of half of Metropolis that gets to hate Superman because he sees in him a threat to his power over the city and his dirty bussinesss. Mxyzptlk is another character whose appearance is taken from the first comic books, but the personality is definitely more abrasive, just like in 90´s books.

There are a few things I dont like in the animated Superman. The first one and more evident, is the stupid introduction of space and submarine suits so that they could sell the toys. Oh-my-God. It´s Superman, ok?

The other one is the lack of care he shows with public properties (and lives). If you start a fight in the middle of a city with Lobo, you can be sure someone innocent is going to die. Superman has always been more careful than that, and tries to mantain the level of destruction at a minimum, or take the fight to more isolated areas.

Despite those things, I think they made a pretty solid job giving us a Superman to be remembered for many decades... I hope Bruce Timm gives us another fine surprise very soon.
  • The coolest Show

Superman is the coolest superheroes because he had like seven tv shows and the marketing for his toys are picking up because his new movie Superman returns and i think they might make a new tv show the reviews for the movie are good i hope they make a movie with BAtman and superman together they are the best team Super-strength and smarts is the best combo between the two . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . .
  • I just wach the first one and it's my new best friend.

I just wach the first one and it's my new best friend.

I just started to watch the one when Brain-ack attacks and it was relly good what i liked about it was the Daily Planet and all the members in it like that one girl who Superman likes. Well superman has stared in alot like The justice Leage and the the first one the superman original this show is gna be great im glad it just started and it's not on it's final episode right now. Mabey the Superman show will never end because they will just keep making new shows of him.
  • allways like him

The Superman, i like to call him super guy. What i like about him that he is very strong it reminds me myself to me :). I allways like the strong guys in animation. He have so much power that he can move the earth. He is so fast that he can fly around the earth in one sec and its so cool. I watch it when I was 5 years and i still like it. He have so much muscles and you can see them all becose of his costume. I like superman more then batman becose of his power.
  • Superman: TAS first air 10 years ago. To me it is one of the greatest Superman cartoon ever with Tim Daly as Superman and Dana Delany as Lois Lane. It's about Superman fighting to save and protect Metroplis from the likes of Lex Luthor, Brainiac and more.

I really fo miss this show and wish that they can bring it back. I have always enjoy the series. Next to the George Reeves and Christoper Reeve's Superman this is my 3rd favorite Superman. I think that this show is trying to stay true to the real Superman Story from the comic boooks. I really enjoy seeing the villians like Metello, Mr. Mysitplk, Parasite and Toyman. And my favorite guest hero is Supergirl. I really enjoy this Series along with Batman: TAS.
  • Definetly one of the greatest shows of the 90's,because of superb dialogue,great animation,interesting characters,and just a spectacular show.

If you've never seen this show where have you been,this is a must see not only is it for kids but it's also for adults.Well I don't know if it still comes on tv,but if it does I definetly recommend it,but if it doesn't get off that couch and go buy Superman:The Animated Series Volume One,and trust me it's worth your money.
  • The maximum level of what Superman can be

For me this is the best Superman filmed material one could hope to see.
    This animated series outdo any previous Superman cartoons or movies ever done and in my opinion it is the definitive vision of the character. No other future release will surpass it.
    From the soundtrack to animation, sound effects, character development, episode plots, voice casting, the show is provided with excellent quality.
    Nearly almost every episode is completely well-done.
    It can please fans and non-fans alike.

I'm very happy with the decent DVD boxes released which contain the entire series. It was about time for the complete release, which the show deserved. It is a must have for my Super-Hero Animation collection.
  • Another great animated super hero show.

Another great animated super hero show. And as we all know, superman is the greatest of them all. With the posible exception of the Green Lantern, who could keep up with Superman? I can not think of any body else. I love the whole story behind it with him coming from another planet and all the knowledge that is passed on from his now deceasesed father. Also, the fact that his father knew he would have super human strenght and abilities and made sure his son knew how to use the power for good and to protect humanity. I love shows like this and i hope someone will bring it back.
  • A true super hero of a show.

This show is just amazing, a true classic. I grew up watching this show and try to get my hands on every episodes on DVD. Tom Daly did an excellent job on this show. The things that makes this show good is is the characters andmusic. I'm glad to say that Clark Kent doesn't act like a total geek around other people. The villians are truly evil and unlike Batman: TAS, Superman has plenty of allies and friends. I wish a sequel could come for this show just like a seqeul came out for Batman: TAS which was Batman: Gotham Knights. Just amazing.
  • Cool

I am totally convinced that Bruce Timm and company at WB Animation have a true midas touch when it comes to animating DC Super Heroes. How did people make this series work? Simple. They did exactly what they did with Batman:The Animated Series and did it with this cartoon. Superman is an intelligent cartoon for adults and children with great plots, humour and plenty of action. Let's not forget artistic license either-don't you just love Superman's big jaw and Clark's big jaw as well (big giveaway there to anyone wanting to find out Supe's secret identity). It has been ten years since Batman:The Animated Series made it's debut and it has not aged at all; the same can be said for Superman.
  • I watch this in Boomerang everyday and I love it.

This is a great superman show. It is one of the best showings of Superman that I have ever seen. It shows the weakness' of superman. It shows characters that live action shows wouldnt be able to recreate. I love the show and it should be seen by all superman fans.
  • A show for the ages.

Superman: TAS will go down in history as one of the greatest cartoon classis ever. It is almost in par with Batman: TAS and TNBA, and as a continuation of the DCAU, it is going to be a permanent collection member for every comic fan. Tim Daly brings Superman to life in a way that no one ever could, not even the live-action actors. Dana Delany is the quintessential voice of Lois Lane. And no one personifies Lex Luthor better the Clancy Brown. This is a must watch for anyone older than zero. Long live the DCAU, and don't forget to catch the DTV.
< 1 2