Superman: The Animated Series

The Way of All Flesh

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Oct 19, 1996 on The WB

• This episode introduces the super villian Metallo, one of Superman's greatest foes. Corben was introduced in Last Son of Krypton Part 3 but here we see how he became the cyborg Metallo thanks to Lext Luthor.

I just love Metallo. I think a big part of it is because Metallo is voiced by Malcolm McDowell, who most may remember from A Clockwork Orange. Also Metallo is a tragic figure. Corben is not a very nice man, he is after all a mercenary but he didn't deserve what Lex did to him; turn him into a non feeling man/machine who "can't even feel the kiss of a woman." I think this in part is what makes Corben/Metallo so hateful toward society. Corben is tricked into becoming a Cyborg by Luthor who says Corben is terminally ill. When Corben realises he can't feel anything, such as when he touches something, Luthor lies to him telling him that certain adjustments need to be made. Corben almost has his revenge on Luthor but as always Luthor escapes. This episode shows what a truly heartless man Lex Luthor is. Well worth watching.