Superman: The Animated Series

Tools of the Trade

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Feb 01, 1997 on The WB

• Darkseid's debut as the 'other' arch-villain for Superman was very similar to the debut for Ra's Al Ghul in Batman: The Animated Series.

This was a good episode, to be sure. I really like Dana Delany's Lois Lane for what little screentime she got. ("A train was derailed, apparently someone was on the tracks... I hope it was the man who made this elevator!") She works much better as a character when she's not just there as a plot device for Superman to show up.

Michael York is a favourite actor of mine from what little I have seen (and heard) from him, the character he created was more than what was intended. Instead of a throw-away henchmen we got a rather mysterious and interesting chessmaster.

A parallel I noticed in this episode, was with Ra's Al Ghul from the Batman series. In Ra's Al Ghul's premier episode, his daughter Talia as well as one of his servants (voiced by none other than Michael York.) take up most of the screen time, with Batman eventually figuring out that Talia is not who she seems to be. At the end we get a few seconds of screen-time with Ra's saying his line and the episode ending. That is exactly what happened in this episode with Darkseid, which was more of an interesting tid-bit than anything.

One thing I really liked, was the cop featured in this episode. He starts off with a mis-trust for Superman, and we can clearly see the jealousy in his behaviour. But in the end, average cop manages to save Superman. Which is simply awesome.

Overall, a very indearing and interesting episode. Setting up a majour villain, and establishing what another sect of the city thinks of our hero.