Supernatural

Bitten

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Oct 24, 2012 on The CW

• really??

This was THE worst episode I have ever wasted my time watching.
  • Great episode

This season is shaping up to be one of the best. Its so much more dark and has a mature sense to it.

The episode was creative and shows the show is flexible and risk taking. Stop crying over seasons past which by the way were all great but this is a new season! Oh and by the way i'm still super waiting to find out what happened to cas
  • Despite the lack of Winchester-centricity...

I really thought this was a nice pit stop from the brothers. I didn't think it's as bad as most people think, as long as you understand it doesn't have anything to do with the brothers (well, except for the slight bit at the end).
  • HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

If i see another Cas-less episode i swear i will find out a way to turn into a warewolf and attach the producers and directors of this show.
  • Great, tense, heartbreaking episode

I've noticed a similar pattern whenever there are reviews regarding an episode or any media surrounding found footage.

It's definitely a polar issue and many people just don't see past the found-footage style and see the bigger picture or the message that is being sent across to the audience.

In this episode, you see these young people who are just ordinary students attending a college. Love is in the air, jealousy hits, and this leads to an unfortunate ending. This isn't just a monster tale. Rather, it's one with heart and that's easily broken in a show like supernatural.

The two male leads start out as best friends as the one falls in love with a girl. They all lay out their future dreams and where they want to be and they all are very happy with their life. But this is supernatural, nothing happy ever lasts.

I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but one unfortunate event leads to another and another as the group's dreams are broken and completely shattered. Here is where the message lies: No monster is truly a form of evil. Every monster starts out just as innocently and happily until one unfortunate, external event triggers all hell.

Personally, I thought this episode was quite refreshing and completely broke my heart at the end after seeing such happy relationships take root and dreams mulled.

Please, don't let the found footage style ruin it or convince you otherwise.
  • umm...

It was an alright episode, I applaud them for trying something different but it did remind me a bit of Chronicle with the geeky kid going all crazy and evil. I didn't like that it had almost no Winchester time in it...but oh well, I know Benny's showing up next episode so we should get some answers then. It was an ok stand-alone ep, but I've seen better.
  • Bitten

Bitten was a superb and very entertaining episode of Supernatural. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and I liked the style of cinematography. The characters were great and it was interesting to watch what happened to this trio. I liked how every thing played out and the character interactions were phenomenal. I liked the ending and look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Complete waste of time

in the words of comic book guy "worst episode ever"

they have tried these things before in other tv shows and it hasnt worked so why try

mr Thompson mr Wright mr Carver shame shame on you all

the title got me psyched: Bitten i knew it had to be either werewolves or vampires so i was game

but then came the crapola that ruined everything.

the episode wasnt worth further review

• Its supernatural activity all over again!

The paranormal activity vibe got me but this unique episode is nothing like that that. Its more like The Blair witch project meets chronicle where the nerdy kid gets the power, want to be a god and all about that. I like the effort to try something different this time though the name "Bitten" reminds me of vampires rather than werewolves. I admire the shaky camera photography and the superb chemistry between the guest trio. And as usual the catchy dialogues("I'm pretty sure FBI agents don't say 'awesome' that much!") . Back to back story about heart being eaten and Mayan god theme.It's internal message that not every monster wants to live a monster life makes me thinking about vampire buddy Benny. Really looking forward to see what they do about his character.
  • Well, at least there wasn't any crap about Sam bailing on Dean in this episode. That's about the only good thing I can say about it.

I have always greatly admired Supernatural's willingness to take risks and film outside the box and they have always pulled it off with flying colours. But this one just didn't work for me. Here's what they could've done to make this episode more appealing to me.

First of all, if you're going to do a "Doctor-Light" episode, then you need to make it something as engrossing and compelling as the Weeping Angels. That is one of my favourite Doctor Who episodes in spite of the fact the Doctor only makes a cameo appearance. But this story was not engrossing or compelling. It was run-of-the-mill werewolf, and the addition of the pure-blood angle was nowhere near enough to make it interesting. Heart, with Madison having to deal with turning into a werewolf, was compelling and heartbreaking stuff. This was not.

Secondly, they should've cut down on the irrelevant non-supernatural stuff. Taking 10 minutes to set up the characters through shots of mundane boring college life was way too long. The tall guy and the girl should've already been in a relationship so we don't have to sit through them meeting and hooking up. And it should start with them helping the short guy with his film project and immediately stumbling on the crime scene and Sam and Dean. We could've gotten to know them as the story unfolded. For example they could've easily shown the short guy's feelings of inadequacy while they're shadowing Sam and Dean, like the tall guy easily jumping a fence and the short guy having a hard time getting over it.

Thirdly, there was way too much teen angst, it was really getting on my nerves. I think this concept would've worked a lot better with some humour rather than wall-to-wall over-the-top emo drama. One part I did like is when they are at first treating the tall guy's new-found strength as an alien-induced superpower.

Fourthly, they should've maximized the presence of Sam and Dean for what little time they were there. Almost every time we did see them, they were far away and their voices were often distant as well. They practically could've just used their body doubles for those. For what time Jared and Jensen were on set, they should've been interacting with the students a lot more, like catching them spying on them and things like that, so we're actually getting some Sam and Dean up close and personal instead of just glimpsing them in the distance. They also could've been doing much more interesting things than just sitting around eating and looking at papers, or asking routine questions. They at least could've been breaking into the morgue or stalking in the woods at night. This could've lent to some entertaining encounters with the college students.

Fifthly, I think a golden opportunity to see Sam and Dean through outsider POV was completely lost here. Other than a funny reference to a "workplace romance" (which was way off the mark anyway) the students don't actually discover anything about the boys other than that they're hunters posing as FBI agents. The short guy is a hacker. They could've done research on the boys and found out all kinds of interesting things about them, as well as spying on them, and we could've found out what a hunter's life looks like through their eyes. And this could've made us feel like the episode still contained Sam and Dean, because even if they weren't there on screen they would've been discussed and analyzed. Instead, it was all about these three characters who are total strangers to me, all about their angsty issues, and I just never grew to care about them at all. In spite of all the time used to set them up, I didn't even retain their names.

Finally, though the amateur camera work was part of the concept, it got to be too amateurish. They were cutting off heads (and not in the good way, with spraying blood and all) and jerking around to the point where it got distracting. It's natural when they're in the middle of some violent action, but they were even doing it when they were just talking. Okay, we know these are amateurs using hand-held cameras, we get it. Now make them better amateurs. This guy is supposed to be able to make a movie for Chuck's sake, and the girl is supposed to be all camera-savvy.

Ghostfacers had a very similar concept to this, but it succeeded where this one failed (for me anyway.) Although I also felt Ghostfacers took a little too long to set up the characters in the beginning, it was done in an amusing way, and once the action started it was highly entertaining. It was funny, scary, dramatic and jam-packed with non-stop action. And I cared about the characters, they were colourful and endearing. And I enjoyed seeing Sam and Dean through their eyes.

I have loved all of Robbie Thompson's scripts up until this one, and I'm sure I will love his work again in the future. They can't all be winners. This is obviously a love-it-or-hate-it script, so at least it was a winner for half the people.
  • A painfully plodding and predictable episode

Found footage is a tired old trope, it's very rarely done well- this episode exemplifies just how bad it can be. One dimensional characters, badly acted- though how much depth anyone could give them is highly questionable. The whole thing felt like misguided fan fiction. Utterly uninspired, devoid of tension and shamefully dull.

One point for the Sam and Dean cameos, one point for the transforming in the mirror FX. The whole episode could've been saved if the last five minutes had been dedicated to a shaky cam rendition of Sam and Dean hunting down and dispatching the detestable female lead, preferably ending with her filming her own prolonged and extravagantly gruesome death.

• loved it!

i'll admit i've been so-so about supernatural this season so far. don't get me wrong, i still love the show, but these days sometimes i even forget to watch it on tv. this episode, however, got me back to looking forward to next week's episode, which so far has not happened this season. here's hoping 'blood brother' keeps it up!
  • Dear Mr. Carver: No more jerky camera episodes, kay? Or at least provide the airsick bags next time.

(The List of Awesome is on hiatus until Show is awesome again.)

I have never rated a single episode of Supernatural below a 10 until today. I always focus on the awesome stuff, and there has always been lots of awesome stuff to focus on. Actually, my drop to a 7 exactly mirrors the real-life ratings drop from 1.0 last week to 0.7 this week. And sadly, there's good reason for that drop. Found footage is a very polarizing format because half of us find the (deliberately) bad and jerky camera work irritating and distracting, it even makes a lot of people feel seasick.

I find it to be an impenetrable barrier between me and the story and characters. I'm spending so much effort just trying to see and hear what's going on, and so much time being annoyed and distracted, I can't get into the story nor care about the characters.

I had never met an episode of Supernatural I didn't like until last night. Honestly, I had to change the channel a couple of times because I couldn't stand it, it was getting on my nerves so much. I had a hard time sitting through it to the end. And I wasn't the only one. The half-hour ratings for Bitten were 2.06/1.76, so some people actually did tune out mid-episode.

It was a really bad decision on the part of showrunner Jeremy Carver to pair such a divisive and difficult format with an episode in which Sam and Dean barely appear, and none of the other recurring characters show up at all. It was going to be a tough sell even without giving half of us motion sickness.

Those who are not bothered by the found footage style enjoyed the episode. Those who were bothered by it did not enjoy the episode. But more people would've been willing to sit through that freakin' horrible camera work if it meant seeing a good story with Sam and Dean. But why put up with something that irritates, distracts and nauseates you to see characters who are complete strangers to you and you don't care about? Conversely, I probably would've connected with Brian, Michael and Kate had they not been on the other side of that really annoying found footage barrier.

As much as I want the show to do well, I am glad Carver got a bad rating. I was worried the high ratings so far would give him the impression he's going in the right direction and doing a great job. The Sam storyline is turning a lot of people off, to say the least. And after giving the poor Cas fans some much-needed good news he would be in at least 8 episodes, he then announces Cas is dead again right off the bat and so far it looks like his appearance in those 8 episodes will be restricted to cameos in flashbacks. Fans are even worried Dean's bromance with Benny will just be a mirror copy of Sam's romance with Ruby.

So Carver can take his lumps. He doesn't seem to care what the fans like and don't like, maybe he'll care about the ratings. It's too bad, because I loved the episodes he'd written in the past and I had such high hopes for him as showrunner. Goes to show a good episode writer does not always make for a good showrunner, and making bad decisions like pairing found footage with an episode without any of the regular characters is a case in point.

Hey Carver, if you need to give Jensen and Jared some time off, do a Weekend at Bobby's type episode where a beloved secondary character takes centre stage. Also, stop killing off all our beloved secondary characters, for the love of Chuck.

• Great Episode!

it was new and cool to see it from another perspective.
  • A clever title goes here!

4.5
    wow what a wasted episode! can season 8 get started already..
  • try something new

a new angle is good, trying new stuff is cool but not when it doesnt work afterwards. waiting ep05
  • Worst Supernatural Episode Ever!

Worst Supernatural episode ever!! I was bored to death. I kept opening new tabs on my pc to do other things while watching Supernatural.So far this season is so disappointing and to think I thought Sara was a mess as show runner. Mr. Carter isn't showing any good signs so far. Where is the show that we all loved? Where did the humor go? So many great things could have happened at Purgatory but no..everybody had to die. I'm so frustrated.
  • Can't believe it

I can't believe how much I LOVED THAT EPISODE!!!

I just joined to say how much I loved it. I see a lot of people commenting on here hated it and I can understand that. It's not everybodies cup of tea and typically I hate that whole 'found footage, shakey camera work' type of show too. But for some reason I loved this episode.

I am surprised at how hardly seeing Dean and Sam made so little difference to me. But it didn't make a difference at all.

The last two seasons have been disappointing but apart from last weeks episode, which was no worse than average, season 8 is going fantastically well. I am loving it just like I used to. Getting away from silly leviathans and back into monsters of the week and demons is brilliant.

Those complaining perhaps haven't given this season enough time. Great seasons take time to build and this one is building superbly.
  • Utter Rubbish

Shocking!! I have never felt the need to write a review of any show on TV until today. I am a big fan of Supernatural. I'm not a spotter and I can't tell you the names of writers nor do I read any of that bizarre fan-fiction nonsense BUT its a good solid show with amusing writing and a good mixture of back-story and weekly episodic adventure.

Watching 'Bitten' was the first time I have been tempted to switch it off. The kid with the camera was an annoying little ***. The girl looked like she had failed her first year of acting school and was trying to make up for it with massive over-performance and the taller guy was just a typical boring run-of-the-mill average Joe. Not only did we have to endure these three morons for the hour, we also had to endure the shaky camera thing. Did no-one watch Blair Witch Project??? Didn't anyone learn that this format isn't for the masses. If I wanted to watch video camera footage, I'd send my wife, son and dog out into the garden for an hour to put together a skit for me.......and would no doubt be more entertained than I was last night by 'Bitten'

I watch Supernatural for Sam and Dean, for the one-liners, for Cas, because I want to see how Crowley is going to end up getting it, because I want to know what happened in Purgatory and because usually, the story-lines are inventive and original. A Werewolf..........? Please? What is this? True Blood???

I see from this website that we have a new show runner, Mr Carver. Can I say one thing to you Mr Carver........ Get it back on track. One more show like this I will strike Supernatural from my memory forever, pull my TV off the wall and go back to colouring-in books....

Here's ever hopeful for the usual show again next week...
  • Chill out guys!

Look. This is the EIGHTH season of the show. We've seen ghosts a plenty. We've seen monsters, gods, demons, angels.... in fact to be honest the only thing Supernatural hasn't tackled is aliens (Trickster tricks not withstanding). I'll be honest: for me I figured it was going to be harder for Supernatural to bring in monsters now we've met Eve, the creator of them all. An intriguing character completely shoved aside, I thought it was very anti-climatic for them to go hunting monsters without looking into just what the hell she was in more detail. How much power did she have? Why could she create any monster she so chose? Where did she come from?

However, in a season of 23 episodes, the show does have to bring back some sort of monster. Which is cool... if they can find new and interesting ways to do it. And that is exactly what we see here!

Yes, it's very Paranormal Activity. But there are two ways you can look at this episode, as you can the one last week. You can hate it straight away for barley featuring the boys, for focusing on three characters we've never met, for not (AGAIN!!) addressing the arc.... or you can appreciate it for what it is.

Which is what I'm going to do.

On it's own, this was a very solid episode that fell in the wrong place in the season. It's obviously been slotted in there to give Jenson and Jared a break... but guys we're only 4 episodes in! Not only that, but you've spent the last three episodes building up a story arc around what the guys have been getting up to in the past year. And, 4 episodes into the new season, you take a massive U-Turn and choose to place an episode that barley features them in instead! This episode would have done much better a little further into the season... maybe around the episode 14 mark. As it is, we've only just got the boys back on our screens, and I understand why some people would be miffed we are taking a week away from them.

However, that is not to say this wasn't a very solid episode. The shaky cam filmed horror movie genre is kind of growing on me, I'll admit. It's interesting to see the boys from an outsider's perspective, as well as the crazy world they inhabit. With every movie like this, it stretches credibility that when all hell is breaking loose they still manage to carry a camera around (clearly they went to the same College as Bear Grylls' camera crew) but that's a common cliche for this type of movie, and it's forgiveable.

The characters were likable, if a little cliche. You have the nerd who's living in his best friend's shadow. You have the confident alpha male. You have the hot chick who falls for said alpha male. But in true Supernatural style, there is a nice twist worked into it. I had no idea how it was going to end; in fact I find that's true with pretty much every Supernatural episode. It was also a nice new twist on monster mythology, introducing us to Pure-Blood werewolves closely related to the Alpha. One of the things I loved about Season 6 was the introduction of Alphas, even if it didn't really go anywhere (a lot of things in season 6 didn't really go anywhere...)

So. In my opinion we can moan that this really wasn't what we wanted to see in episode 4 of what's shaping up to be a promising season, and in truth we could do that. I was frustrated at the start of the episode to find it was another filler, and a filler not featuring the Winchesters. Or, we can appreciate it for what it was; a fun, cleverly written twist on a movie genre with some likeable characters and a fresh look at monsters.
  • Annoying reviews

Just read through the reviews for this epsiode of Supernatural and I find it really annoying how some people have no imagination or room for creativity. This was a fantasic episode that helped to show that sam and dean will leave someone alone so long as they don't hurt anoyone and they are really just a victim. I believe this episode might turn out to be a major ark for the whole season because remember, dean brought a monster back with him from purgetory and theres got to be a reason why he thought that was okay to do.

So please people, loosen up and show some respect for the writers, they know what they are doing.
  • Love it! people need to be more patient

I really liked Bitten. We can argue about the handheld camera style of filming; I personally think it is okay for this kind of show every once in a while. Most importantly, I like that Supernatural is a series which is not afraid to experiment.

I understand that people are eager to find out what happened in Purgatory, and how will the season develop around Kevin, Crowley and the exile of demons plan; I also understand that with that big picture in mind, Bitten was not transcendental and our favourite brother almost didn't participate.

But that's no reason enough to hate the episode!. Bitten was great at showing the whole Supernatural world from the perspective of 3 normal kids, even if they were cliche. I liked it because we are used to Sam and Dean being familiar with pretty much everything they encounter, and we as viewers relax because we know they can handle it, not the case with these kids.

I know it's a filler, people hate the handhelfd camera and that the Winchester's were missed. But judge the episode based on how good or bad it was, not on how would you have liked it be. Many comments seems to be wishing for a season finale already.
  • I'm all for them trying new things, but everything in this episode has been done before on Supernatural, and done 100 times better.

They did the found footage style with Ghostfacers, 5 years ago before found footage had been overdone by every Cloverfield, Chronicle and Paranormal Activity out there. And it was done a lot better: the Ghostfacers were semi-professional, they had top-of-the-line equipment and they knew how to use it. So even though we had the immediacy and free movement of found footage, the results were watchable; people were in frame, the action was clear, and the motions were nowhere near as shaky or jolty. It was also much more believable: they were a camera crew, they were there to film, they had fixed cameras mounted everywhere, including headcams. They even explained why they kept filming after the spirit hit the fan: because it made them feel better to look through the lens, giving them some sense of control and distance. Whereas I just couldn't believe those three college students would have multiple video cameras running everywhere at all times, including when their best mate is shagging in the next room. The Ghostfacers was also a much more engaging story, which unlike Bitten didn't take itself too seriously.

They have told the story of what it's like for a human to transform into a non-human, and whether or not that makes them a monster, so many times I'm not sure I can even list them all. It's a theme that runs through the whole series. In Bitten, they couldn't even be arsed to come up with a new creature, as we already followed Madison as she dealt with becoming a werewolfand I cared about her a great deal more than I cared about these three students. Aside from Heart, we've had Bloodlust, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Croatoan, Roadkill, Fresh Blood, Metamorphosis, Live Free or Twihard, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Of Grave Importance, etc. (I didn't even count becoming a psychic kid or a witch.) And you can't even say, yeah, well we never got it entirely from the transformees' point of view. We saw Dean transform into a vampire, Bobby transform into a ghost, Cas transform into a mutated soul-powered God-like creature, and Sammy has had whole seasons of being affected by psychic powers and demon blood. I felt absolutely no need to see random strangers deal with becoming a werewolf. This was well-covered territory.

They've even tried an episode with very little Sam and Dean in it before: Weekend at Bobby's, and it was a fabulous episode. I didn't even miss Sam and Dean for a second. In Bitten we didn't even get an outsider point of view of Sam and Dean. We only got an outsider point of view of the outsiders. They were only interested in themselves, and Sam and Dean were basically just a source of information to find out what was happening to themselves.

I'm all for them trying new things, but this was not a new thing, and it wasn't a good thing either. The whole thing was rather tiresome, frankly. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

• The Blair Werewolf Pureblood Project

This week's episode featured a departure from the typical Supernatural formula. Seeing an investigation from the found footage aspect was a nice change of pace. Some might say that the Ghostfacers episode was much like this but that wasn't found and I don't get a kick out of watching those characters. At least this episode had enough Sam and Dean to follow and the monster-of-the-week. Further expanding the werewolf mythos and one of the college kids describing the hunger of the werewolf experience. The awkward one, Brian, putting together that his English professor (who is a royal tool) and blackmailing him into giving him the powers that his friend has so that he can impress his best friend's girlfriend was next level screwed up. However, that being said the relationships between the trio was believable and tragic the way that Kate was bitten by Brian after he killed Mike in sort of self-defense and tells her he loves her. She kills Brian and takes his heart, a motif from the past two episodes. The expanding mythos of the pure-blood or fourth generation werewolf being able to partially transform even not during the full moon was creepy and the unconventional way that the story unfolded with Sam and Dean finding the aftermath and being too late to do anything about it was a nice reversal from normal as well. But the best part of the episode was the college kids shadowing Sam and Dean and saying that there is a "work place romance" between them and commenting how Dean says awesome so much really showed Supernatural being able to still flex its meta-muscles and jab fun at itself. What transpired was tragic and messed up, but I read Lord of the Flies in high school not college and the parallels with the book and the episode were subtle and effective with Brian no longer wanting to be his milquetoast self and he got his wish. That being said, Kate's confession that she hasn't nor will she hurt anybody and her not choosing to be a werewolf was sad but Sam and Dean should still have ganked her despite that as a motif in this show is that a monster that goes free will come back to bite you. Very different straying from the typical formula and Supernatural's ability to try to experiment new ways of the monster-of-the-week I hope can continue to develop.
  • Disappointing episode ... nad nauseous !

I was sea-sick watching this episode, so I switched the major part of it to go straight to the end ... the scenario is surprisingly bad and low end.

A huge disappointment as the previous episodes of this season were awesome :-/
  • As terrible as the episode summary sounded!

Argh, this episode was the bastard love child of Chronicle and the Blairwitch.

It was just awful, absolutely awful :(
  • Awesome

This season start it slow but this episode so far is the best i dont know why people complain about it cause supernatural it suppose make a tribute of those old good horror movies and this episode catch that essence the feeling of this episode was really good and i like it this episode reminds some flashbacks when i was kid when i start to watch horror movies thats the reason my score is 9.5
  • Disappointed!!!

As much as I love watching Supernatural ever since its pilot episode from Season 1, this was definitely one of the WORST! I'm not hating on the three new actors' performances, I'm just hating on the ending. *SPOILER ALERT* When Sam and Dean let Kate go I was a bit disappointed and confused. I mean, Dean killed Sam's longtime girlfriend in one of the older seasons and Sam killed Dean's 'monster-daughter'- in the episode where the girl sleeps with Dean and has a daughter who matures really fast and becomes part of the all-girl-monster cult. Anyways after all that, they LET HER GO! I'll be extra frikn disappointed if she reappears in another episode. Supernatural was 'awesome' for so many seasons, but now it's just sucking!!!
  • Other Side of the Spectrum

A lot of hate for this week's Episode, but I would have to disagree. I understand people were upset because it didn't primarily focus on the show's stars. I think it was good however, Supernatural continues to grow with it's creativity and inventive techniques. They don't always stick to same old thing, you often see episodes like this, done a complete different style. This was likely a pick at Paranormal Activity, with the 4th one hitting Theaters last weekend. What I liked most about this episode is how it took on the opposite side of the spectrum. We knew Sam and Dean was doing their digging and how they was going about doing that, we didn't even need to see them do it to know. So it went off well that we seen just enough of them to know that. While on the other hand, we got a first person view of the Victims for once. Hence the opposite side of the spectrum. I liked that very much, it was a nice change of pace seeing how they are handling it without Sam and Dean there to tell them everything, but rather them stalking Sam and Dean to get the best answers they can. For the hate in the end of the episode, I get it. Yes Dean Killed an old girlfriend of Sam's just to let this girl go. Here's the thing though folks, this girl has yet to hurt a single human, so why not give her the chance? With The chick in Season 7, she had hurt people already, yes to save her kid, still fact remains, it's a different situation, so I don't know how you can compare. All in all, a risky episode, but inventive and I liked it.
  • Worst Ever!

I have been watching Supernatural since it first began and I love it! BUT this episode was so bad I would have shut it off but my husband kept thinking it HAD to get better... it didn't. How bad was it? I have never written a review before but I had to say something about this. Come on WRITERS... get with it.
< 1 2