Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 24, 2012 on The CW

• I'm all for them trying new things, but everything in this episode has been done before on Supernatural, and done 100 times better.

They did the found footage style with Ghostfacers, 5 years ago before found footage had been overdone by every Cloverfield, Chronicle and Paranormal Activity out there. And it was done a lot better: the Ghostfacers were semi-professional, they had top-of-the-line equipment and they knew how to use it. So even though we had the immediacy and free movement of found footage, the results were watchable; people were in frame, the action was clear, and the motions were nowhere near as shaky or jolty. It was also much more believable: they were a camera crew, they were there to film, they had fixed cameras mounted everywhere, including headcams. They even explained why they kept filming after the spirit hit the fan: because it made them feel better to look through the lens, giving them some sense of control and distance. Whereas I just couldn't believe those three college students would have multiple video cameras running everywhere at all times, including when their best mate is shagging in the next room. The Ghostfacers was also a much more engaging story, which unlike Bitten didn't take itself too seriously.

They have told the story of what it's like for a human to transform into a non-human, and whether or not that makes them a monster, so many times I'm not sure I can even list them all. It's a theme that runs through the whole series. In Bitten, they couldn't even be arsed to come up with a new creature, as we already followed Madison as she dealt with becoming a werewolfand I cared about her a great deal more than I cared about these three students. Aside from Heart, we've had Bloodlust, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Croatoan, Roadkill, Fresh Blood, Metamorphosis, Live Free or Twihard, All Dogs Go To Heaven, Of Grave Importance, etc. (I didn't even count becoming a psychic kid or a witch.) And you can't even say, yeah, well we never got it entirely from the transformees' point of view. We saw Dean transform into a vampire, Bobby transform into a ghost, Cas transform into a mutated soul-powered God-like creature, and Sammy has had whole seasons of being affected by psychic powers and demon blood. I felt absolutely no need to see random strangers deal with becoming a werewolf. This was well-covered territory.

They've even tried an episode with very little Sam and Dean in it before: Weekend at Bobby's, and it was a fabulous episode. I didn't even miss Sam and Dean for a second. In Bitten we didn't even get an outsider point of view of Sam and Dean. We only got an outsider point of view of the outsiders. They were only interested in themselves, and Sam and Dean were basically just a source of information to find out what was happening to themselves.

I'm all for them trying new things, but this was not a new thing, and it wasn't a good thing either. The whole thing was rather tiresome, frankly. I couldn't wait for it to be over.