Supernatural

Bloodlust

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 12, 2006 on The CW

• A thought-provoking, very intense episode.

"Bloodlust" is the first episode of Season Two written by the always top-notch Sera Gamble, who was responsible for one of the most intense, thought-provoking and touching episodes of the first season, "Faith" (1x12). For her debut in Supernatural sophomore year, she chose to delve into vampire's mythology, with an intelligent, provocative script once again - as her usual - imbued with moral ambiguity and uncertainty. Exactly the kind of episodes I dig, the ones that can both scare and entertain me whilst challenging my brain.

The idea of a vampire renouncing to human blood or, better, restraining himself from killing humans, dated back to 1976, when Anne Rice conceived Louis de Pont-du-Lac for her masterpiece, "Interview with the Vampire": Louis doesn't kill and often relies on rats, birds and dogs to sedate his bloodlust. In the following novels, we get a chance to see that he has adjusted to this life, he can drink from human without killing them and he's without a doubt the most human-like vampire of the entire saga: a vampire with human heart and desire, mind and soul. I always found his characters powerful and fascinating, mesmerizing and beguiling.

So, I was thrilled to discover in this episode that Lenore's vampires don't kill, resort to cattle blood and only want to blend in. I was touched by their effort, and I always tend to sympathize with the minorities battling for their civil rights. This is why "Bloodlust" worked so well for me, because it gave me enough food for my brain, emotion for me to empathize with (Dean is coping with the loss of his father, is not handling the situation very well and, once again, he and Sammy discover how much they mean for each other, how much they need the other) and, finally, it gave me Gordon Walker: I character I absolutely, unconditionally hate. Because he is perfectly written and his racism, his supremacist hatred, even his bigoted fascism is so evident - and masterfully portrayed by Sterling Brown - that I found myself willing to enter the screen (if I weren't already there) and help Dean beat him.

All in all, kudos to Sera Gamble, to always great Robert Singer and to the actors for one of the finest episodes of Season Two: a masterpiece.

while gifting us with a clever script that's more about character development than it is about thrilling showdown with powerful Elders (see: "Dead Man's Blood", 1x20).