Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• Was this episode really as bad as we all remembered?

I don't like bugs. No, let me rephrase that: I HATE bugs. Not normal, everyday bugs like butterflies, spiders, and lady-beetles (although those are pretty foul too sometimes). No, I'm talking about the disgusting bugs such as wasps, termites, and even honeybees. Anything that buzzes and bites or stings is on the HELP-I'M-GROSSING-OUT! list for is not the best position to be in whenever your father is a bee-keeper. But I digress.

What I am trying to say is that this episode grossed me out by combining my two trigger spots for body horror - eyes/mouth and creepy crawlies. UGH! I don't mind bugs whenever they're just crawling on someone's leg or get them anywhere near the eyes or mouth and suddenly I'm feeling the urge to go hide in an insect-proofed laboratory for the next twenty years or so.

But despite the fact that it triggered several minor nervous breakdowns, this episode was also a lot of fun. Yes there are some definite problems with the writing (particularly towards the ending of the third act) and the pacing can be screwy at times, but overall it was an enjoyably campy little experience. Except for the bugs, which were gross.

First thing you should know right off the bat when you start watching this show is that, in the early days, Supernatural stories about Native American traditions tend to be a As in, all the elements of a story would be there, but something would just go wrong in the execution. With this one, I firmly hold to the idea that giving it a longer running time (making it into a two-parter or whatever) to tie up loose ends and fill in plot-holes would have been a good idea. It is bland because there is too much information and suspension of belief flung at your mind in too short of a time span. I actually really enjoyed this one (despite my issues with bugs close to the facial area) and I see a lot of potential in it that was squandered because the writers and director tried to squeeze too large and complicated of a story into too little time.
  • Lazy Writing

As soon as the guy in the new real estate construction at the beginning falls in the the hole, and is killed by bugs, I think to myself, "If this is a f*cking Indian burial ground plot, I'm done" Well, guess what. Maybe the writers just got done watching Poltergeist. At the end of the episode, the Brothers show up at the Realtor's house, and declare that it is midnight, the bug swarm is coming. The bugs come, everyone hides in the house, the bugs break in, and - PRESTO - five minutes later it is daylight. Absolutely no attempt at pretending hours had passed. It's just morning, and the bugs fly away. The end.

I'm rating this a 3 out of 10 purely for the unintentional comedic element.
  • Ewwwww, Bugs!!!

Alright, I admit the bugs turned me off a bit in this episode. But I guess it would be expected that they would make a bug episode eventually. The fact the Occhi tribe put a curse on their land did make it interesting though. This is the episode where nature fights back!
  • worst episode in tv history

How the hell do you run in a house at twelve midnight run up to the attic at about 1205 fight some bugs for five minutes and then the sun comes up... wtf man that was a lazy ending... but the rest of the episode are awesome just don't pull this again... atleast lie to me...
  • 108-"Bugs

After a construction worker for a new housing development dies in a sinkhole, his brain dissolving within minutes, the brothers head to Oasis Plains, Oklahoma, to investigate. There they learn of mysterious, bug-related deaths in the town. After doing research, they discover that a Native American tribe used to live in the area, but its members were murdered by cavalrymen, with the tribe's chief placing a curse on the land as he died. Sam and Dean determine that the curse will reach its climax that night, and race to warn the family living there as swarms of insects attack. They are able to fight off the bugs and survive through the night, and the insects leave at sunrise. The site is shut down temporarily as the boys discovered an unmarked Native American grave and the developer, who's family they saved from the bugs, decides to make sure it remains shut down.

written by: Rachel Nave & Bill Coakley:

Directed by: kim Manners

my thoughts: worst ep so far nothing really good about this ep...meh and its still not moving the story along.

Ep. rankings

5.)"Dead in the water"

6.)"phantom traveler"

7.)"wendigo"

8.)"Bugs"
  • get out of the da*n house!

This show is awesome, so happy to finally 'discover it'! Its the only show I can watch with my husband and both actually enjoy. By the time the boys were hiding in the house though I was thinking eddy murphy would be laughing his ass off delirious style - he'd be saying 'whats with these people? Theres blood in the toilet? 'thats peculiar - just LEAVE! The bugs want the house?? Give em the damn house! Get in that car and drive the hell for england! lol That said, its so entertaining its just all round brilliant :))
  • Crazy indian curse makes bugs go all psycho and kill people on some forbidden burial land. A typical, unoriginal plot and weird execution made this episode pretty lame. At least we got to see some Sam-Dad relationship development...well sort of.

Was this episode supposed to be funny? Because I thought it was pretty funny when Sam and Dean tried to fight off those bugs. They were pretty useless in their efforts to do so. They sort of just stood around then ran away and sprayed some bug junk which hit like .1% of the bugs. The bugs weren't realy scary, they were just sort of gross. And the cursed burial grounds plot - definitely used by a million other TV shows already. I did like Sam's relationship with that kid and how it related to his relationship with his Dad. The plot was executed alright, I think the idea itself was the lame part.

• A Bug's Life

Given the content of this episode, I was more than ready to state how much the storyline bugged me (I simply couldn't pass it up), but I really liked this one. It's not must-watch TV or anything, but it's a brief preview of the kind of formula Supernatural perfects in later seasons – a mix of stand-alone fare with the overall arc streaming through it. Sam empathizing with Matt's father issues gave the overall storyline a bit more gravity, although some of the Dean/Sam dialogue felt rather hammy. The budget clearly couldn't afford the effects the show needed to make the bug attack in anyway threatening (we see thousands of unrealistic bugs one minute and then only a few real ones the next); having said that, when the show uses real spiders and roaches – yeeesh!! The late Kim Manners did a wonderful job with the material given; adding depth to a story that could have crumbled in the hands of a less capable director, some of his shots looked amazing. I also got a giggle out of the realtors assuming Dean and Sam were a gay couple, with Dean calling Sam 'Honey' and patting him on the bum. A solid episode.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of supernatural sam and dean hear about a mystrious death about a realitor and they go and investigate and they find out that a son of a family that is moving in there like bugs alot and says the bugs are acting weird and really unormal. so sam and do investigate and find out that the homes are built on a indian burel ground that is causing the bugs to act like that and they the bugs come and surroudn the house and they want to leave and they have to wait it out in the house till morning and the family is happy that dean sam helped them out in this one. it was a good ep
  • Bugs, bugs, bugs everywhere. Bugs, Bugs, everywhere, bugs. More bugs. Here a bug and there a bug. Beetles, roaches, and more. Scary? Heck no. I kept waiting to see the characters from "A Bug's Life" to appear. Sam and Dean should become exterminaters.Wow

Sam and Dean arrive in Oasis Plains, OK after a construction worker falls down a sinkhole and has his brain dissolved. Great gross out factor. They arrive at the open house barbecue thrown by the realtors of the new housing development to snoop around and asked detailed questions about the area. The realtor's son, Matt, who is fascinated with bugs, becomes the prime suspect when it come to light that another insect-related murder happens. An investigation into the town's history reveals that the housing development was built upon ancient Native American land. The local tribe's ancestor's cursed it after they'd been forced off it by rapping and pillaging cavalrymen. The curse proclaims that no white man shall survive the sixth night of the spring equinox, which you know, is that night. Sam and Dean battle bug, bug after boring bug.The only saving grace for this episode is when Dean is in the hot shower. He loves hot showers as much as I do.
  • Review

Dean and Sam arrive in a town checking up a report of a mysterious death, and stop at a realtor's open house barbecue. Sam meets the realtor's son Matt, who is fascinated with bugs. Soon the town is invaded by swarms of deadly bugs, and there may be no way out. This episode kept my interest in no way. I tried going into the episode with a positive mind, seeing that this was the lowest rated episode to this point of the first season - but yea... The ball was most certainly dropped here on this episode. No depth, no interesting story - that's about all you can say about it really. Just a bad bad episode from the Supernatural team.
  • It's ight.

Bugs, an interesting concept, but in the end it failed to live up to the hype. The episode never once had you on the edge like the previous episodes have; if anything, seeing the bugs in droves attack people just creeped you out, but never had you scared. Now what this episode did improve in compared to past ones is the character development areas. The parallel relationships between Sam and his father, as well as Larry and his son, was pretty interesting for the most part. The script is also one of Supernatural's weaker areas thus far, but it was particularly strong here. Still though, its strength, which is getting you on edge, wasn't exciting enough to warrant a higher score.
  • Watch out for the creepy Bugs.

A very different and original Supernatural's episode. I think this is one of those episodes that just has it all. It's funny cause a lot of other fans weren't so big of this episode, but I am. I loved the whole legend thing. I loved the interaction between the brothers in this episode, it's so great to see how different they each experienced their own childhood and the way their father raised them. This episode isn't named Bugs for no reason, cause there were a lot of bugs in this one, like a lot! And the scene at the end of the episode with all the bugs had me just freaking out. A great episode with a great story!
  • A nice episode, hampered by a bad ending.

When I first watched "Bugs", being a severe insect-phobic myself, I was pretty scared and horrified. Then, I recently watched it again and, even if it still creeps me out, especially the shower/spider scene, I must say that I found it rather watered down, in comparison to other stand-alone, Monster of the Week episodes. What it lacks is some serious tension and the original twist capable, in other episodes, like "Bloody Mary", to add an unexpected layer to the story. The plot here, on the other hand, is quite banal and straight-forward (Native Americans' massacre, curse, realization of the curse), and the end felt to me totally unrealistic and contrived: the salvaging dawn comes out like an artificial deus ex machina, and a pretty rushed one since the episode went from midnight to dawn in less the four minutes.

Fortunately, Kim Manners' touch was right there to elevate the episode from its mediocrity and the script - faulted in regards to the main storyline - did instead a great job in exploring Sam's relationship with Matt, his childhood memories and his conflictual approach to the family's legacy. This backstory further enriches Sam and Dean background, which will takes a huge step forward in the next episode, one of the very best of the season, "Home".
  • A buggy episode. Pun intended.

If there was an award for most unoriginal title, this episode would win it. It's about bugs. So they named it bugs. Ah well.

Sam and Dean arrive at a new housing project, where a construction worker was killed by bugs eating his brains out, or something like that. Fishy, right? Well, this is not a single, isolated incident. Later on, more people are killed by bugs, including a chick being attacked by spiders in the shower. It would've been so much more hot if she was attacked by Spider-man, right? The reason? They're building houses on an ancient Indian graveyard. Or something like that.
    Anyways, while the first death is creepy enough, considering it's all very real, the second one here, with the spiders is just stupid. I mean, spiders crawling out of the walls is creepy, but why the chick completely froze, before throwing herself through the shower door, made out of glass, beats me. Also, the spiders are very clearly CG. Now, if you have a phobia of little bugs, you'll hate this episode. Mainly because of the huge amount of spiders, roaches and bugs in general.

Even though the episode isn't very good, it still builds a little on the characters, the Winchesters. We learn that the father never was angry at Sam for wanting to go to Stanford, but rather worried for him, considering all the dangers out in the world. It also shows that Dean understand both sides, which is something we usually don't see, behind his perverted, childish behavior. Jensen does a good job!

We also get to meet a family that resembles the WInchesters in this episode. The father doesn't understand his son's love for bugs, and Sam manages to see something of himself in the kid. Then again, the family we meet in the story fixes their problems by the end of the episode. As the "teaser" says, this is a buggy episode. The highlight of this episode is obviously, when the family is boarded up in their house, under attack by thousands of bugs. They try to keep them out, but it doesn't really work very well. They run up to the attic, where it doesn't take long before bugs eat their way through the roof. The only protection they have is an improvized flamethrower that spews out what, a few inches of fire. Obviously, the writers thought that it'd be enough to keep thousands of bugs away.
    Also, the brothers arrived at the house at approximately midnight, and the bugs are going to be attacking all throughout the night. After like, 20 minutes in the house, the sun rises, for some reason. Only good reason I can think of is that there are still some Indian spirits roaming, and they decided to timelapse 7 or 8 hours ahead.

Not a great story, but it builds even more on the characters, which is a good thing.
  • Pretty gruesome.

This is the episode when I found out Supernatural was going to last for a long time. Supernatural is so genius. They take people's worst fear & make it it in to an episode. And sometimes people aren't afraid. And Supernatural makes you afraid. Bug are one of the thing I am personally afraid of now. Especially the tarantula sequence. The swarm of bees all sacred the crap out of me while watching this episode. Termites too. The scene when the guy falls in to the hole & bugs eat him alive. It could happen too. A very good episode full of fright.
  • Seriously … seriously?!!

Ok, with such boring episodes as Dead in the Water, Bloody Mary, Hook Man, now Bugs, and not so great episodes in between, how I stayed a fan of this show is beyond me … maybe watching two scorching hot guys made it all the more bearable :D
    The good news … it all gets better … really soon (like next episode maybe ;) )

Anyhow, BUGS, hate 'em, even butterflies are icky to me! The Indian curse idea wasn't so engaging, all conversations and arguments involving their dad were too blatant, and really the entire episode was ill-constructed and tedious. (Except for the scene where Sam finds out about his dad swinging by Stanford to check on him, that was very emotional) The endscene was incredible, and not in a good way.

Jim Byrnes (the actor who played the college professor), I really wish they kept him for a bigger, more important role in days to come, I love this guy ever since his WiseGuy days (re-runs) he's a good actor. On a different note, this episode marks the beginning of the gay jokes" on the show, it was funny seeing how the boys reacted to them, especially Dean, but by the time we got to Playthings (season 2 episode 11) they became ridiculously redundant. It was still amusing at this point though.

The episode's most interesting moment: "wasn't that on Oprah" … "you watch Oprah?!"
  • It's not my favorite, but they could do worse. Worth watching at least once.

5.5
    Again, not my favorite episode. Actually, it probably ranks all the way on the bottom of my list, or at least second to the last. But there were some good things about this episode too. See, that's why I love this show. Even at their lowest, it's still good!

We finally get to see that Sam and John weren't on the best of terms, never really were. Oh, and the native american man cracks me up to no end!! "I tell you what my grandfather tell me, and what his grandfather tell him."

Wow, I love those dudes. They tell a story better then anyone, even better then Sophia Patrillo from Golden Girls.

Oh, and the boys first encounter with people thinking they're gay That was funny, too. But, let me tell you, if you're squeemish about bugs, this will have you paranoid for weeks! Especially the spiders...*shudders* Not cool.

Another good thing is, we get a hint that Dean may or may not watch Oprah! Hahaha

So yeah, okay episode, worth watching at least once...but they could do better...

My fave quotes:

Sam Winchester: They're saying it's mad cow.
    Dean Winchester: Mad cow, that was on Oprah.
    Sam Winchester: You watch Oprah?

Dean Winchester: Growing up in a place like this would freak me out.
    Sam Winchester: Why?
    Dean Winchester: The manicured lawns. 'How was your day, Honey'. I'd blow my brains out!
    Sam Winchester: There's nothing wrong with normal.
    Dean Winchester: I'd take our family over normal any day.
    (Not totally true, as we learn in 2.20 that's exactly what he dreams of having.)

[Sam and Dean are posing as potential homeowners]
    Lynda Bloome: Well, let me just say that we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color or...
    [looks at Sam and Dean]
    Lynda Bloome: sexual orientation.
    Dean Winchester: Hmm, right.
    [to Sam]
    Dean Winchester: I'm gonna go talk to Larry. Okay, honey?
    [slaps Sam on the ass]
  • I hate bugs!

7.9
    Bugs really freak me out so I had problems watching it. Really material for throwing up! Sam and dean go and research strange deaths of people in The town of Oasis Plains. Bugs ate them. They meet a boy, Matt, who's very interested in bugs. He takes them to woods and Dean finds a skull in the middle of a pool of worms. They visit native Americans. An indian tells them the story that his fathers told him. Six days white people were killing indians and on the sixth night everyone was dead. The same happens now. Deadn and Sam must prevent what could happen.

We also find out what was the reason Sam left home and went to university.
  • Blahh wasnt that great:(

7.9
    Personally I loved "Supernatural" ever since the pilot, but it's still very encouraging and stimulating to see how the show gets better with each and every episode! By the time of this eighth episode, the two young brothers evolved into convincing & heroic crime battlers, the suspense increases every week, the scripts refer more and more to older horror classics and the stories provide new and creative types of supernatural menace every time! I feel like labeling every new episode I see as the best one thus far, but the truth is all episodes pretty much are of equally high quality. "Bugs" is definitely a personal favorite, as it combines the tension of supernatural horror with the old-fashioned fun of nature-revolting creature features. When two lethal accidents are caused by seemly harmless insects on a location where estate agents are building a new housing complex, it simply looks like a bizarre coincidence at first. Sam and Dean are nevertheless investigating the case, because the state of the victims' bodies indicate that the little critters weren't behaving normally when they attacked. After a third casualty died from spider bites, the brothers – together with a bug-obsessed teenager – discover that the insects are revolting against humanity because of an ancient Indian curse. This installment in Eric Kripke's fabulous show features some of the best special effects ever shown on TV. Especially the humongous swarms of bees and cockroaches are staggering. The revelation of the Indian curse is fascinating and another brilliant detail is how every episode enlightens us a little more about Sam & Dean's backgrounds. For the avid & experienced horror fans among us, there's a lovely mentioning of the classic 70's rat-shocker "Willard".
  • After a construction worker is killed by insects burrowing into his brain, Sam and Dean investigate the town's history.

Oasis Plains, Oklahoma- Construction Site: The camera fades in to construction men working on houses. Two men, Dustin and Travis, start talking about the houses and how expensive it will be once the houses were finished. Dustin starts to hear and feel the ground shake a little. He feels around the ground and falls in. Dustin screams that his ankle was broken so Travis goes to find a rope. Dustin still in the ground starts to hear more noises and notices that bugs are all around him. Calling for Travis again, Travis goes and brings a rope to him only to find Dustin dead in the ground.

Inside a bar: Sam is reading a paper about the mysterious death, as Dean comes to Sam with money in his hand. Dean hustled money by playing pool. Dean said he would rather take a "fun and easy" way rather than a "honest" way. Sam then brings up the article he read how Dustin died due to Mad-Cow Disease. Dean confesses that he heard it on "Oprah", which Sam is shocked to find out. Dean wonders why would it be there problem. Sam explains to Dean about Mad-Cow disease and how the symptoms don't match. Dean and Sam then drive to Oklahoma. Gas Company: Dean and Sam arrive at the gas company that Dustin and Travis worked for. They find Travis and ask about there "Uncle Dusty." Travis explains the situation to Dean and Sam. Sam then explains the symptoms to Travis about Mad-Cow disease and Travis claims that Dustin didn't have any of them. Dean and Sam asks if Travis could tell them where the death scene was. Travis shakes his head, yes.

Death Scene: Caution tape surrounds the hole that Dustin fell in. Dean and Sam by-pass the tape and then question what might have happened. Dean questions if it was a creature yet there wasn't enough room for more than one person. Dean taunts Sam to go into the hole by calling him "scared." Sam ties a rope around him and goes in.

In The Car: All Sam could find were some beetles, and no other evidence that anything else were in there. Sam and Dean decide they need background information. Dean notices an "Open House: BBQ" sign, so he figured that would be a good place to start.

At the House/BBQ: At the door Larry Parks introduces himself before they even get inside and assures them that the house was open to any "Race, Religion, Color, or Sexual Oreintation" assuming that the two men were gay Dean answers him by saying that they were brothers, and how they were looking for a house for there father.

Once inside, they talk to the Developer, Larry, about the neighborhood. Larry assures them that it was a nice, safe, clean neighborhood and then introduces his wife, Joanie. Larry leaves, as the head of sales, Linda Blume comes over and introduces herself and goes through the same rountine that Larry did. Except this time Dean plays along with a gay routine" and leaves to go talk to Larry. Now on a tour of the house Larry and Dean get talking and come across a jar with many bugs inside. Larry explains that it's his son. Meanwhile Sam and Linda are talking about a steam shower, as she is leaning on a counter that a spider was also on coming towards her way. Sam excuses himself and takes the spider and notices a teenager behind Linda. Sam confronts the teenager who turns out to be Larry's son, Matt. They have a chat about there bad relationships with there fathers. Larry then comes over and takes his son away to go yell at him. Sam and Dean watching from afar they have a discussion about there father. Dean says that he doesn't remember but Sam does because he used to always get yelled at and that Dean was the "good son." Dean tried to defend there father by saying that Sam was sometimes out-of-line. Sam defended his case by sarcastically saying that it was the wrong choice to play soccer over learning to bow hunt. Changing the subject Dean says that he found out about a year ago another man died by a severe bee sting reaction. They make the connection each death both included bugs.

At night, driving; They discuss why the bugs would do this, there were no signs of ghost activity. They bring up Larry's son because he does have bugs for pets. Dean tells Sam to pull over to the open house we were at. Dean states he wants to try the steam shower and Sam gives in. Linda's House: At Linda's house she goes into her room turns on the television. On her bed a bug falls on her so she goes into the shower. In the shower multiple spiders come out of her faucet, as she is the next victim of the bugs.

Morning, Open House: Sam tells Dean to get out of the Steam shower which he finds "awesome" and explains to Dean about the murder that happened last night.

Linda's House: Police and Paramedics surround the house. Sam and Dean find Larry there and pull over to question Larry. Larry tells Sam and Dean that Linda passed away last night, although they didn't know what it was. Once Police leave, Sam and Dean sneak into the house and go for the bathroom. They see the spiders within the bathroom and go to question Matt.

Off The School Bus/Wooded Area: They find Matt at his bus stop and notice him walking the opposite direction from his house. They follow him into a wooded area. Matt gets nervous and askes if they were serial killers in which Sam and Dean comfort him with a "no." They question him about his bugs and how Linda died due to spiders. Matt gets defensive because he knows that he didn't do the killings. Matt does confess that he knows something weird is happening with the insects and goes to show them an example.

On the walk to where Matt was taking them a discussion about family comes up. Sam assures Matt that things will all get better in two years (he is 16), college. Dean thinks that its bad advice because a kid shouldn't leave his family.

Once deeper into the woods Matt shows Sam and Dean that many insects from Earthworms to Bees have all been congregating in the same general area. Sam points out a large dirt mount where many worms have been. Dean goes digging through and finds a skull. Outside the Department of Anthropology: Dean and Sam undercovered skeletons where they found the skulls. They decided that it was a sprirt channeling through bugs. They then get into another discussion about there father. Sam felt that their father was always disappointed in him. Dean said that he wasn't disappointed, but scared. They then enter the building.

Inside the Department of Anthropology: They talked to a professor, by lying and saying they were apart of his class. The professor states that the skeletons were about the time of the native americans. Sam questions and askes if there were any tribes within the fecinity. The professor says something about an Occhi tribe about 60 miles from where they were.

Around the first murder scene: A man of indian decent is playing a game of solitaire as Sam and Dean go inside to talk to him. The man could tell Dean was a liar and Sam wasn't. The man answered any questions Sam had. The man confessed in knowing about the area of the construction site. They tell him about the Native American bones they found, so the man tells them a story that has been passed down generations. He tells them a story of a tribe about how nature would protect that valley on the sixth night. The nature he was talking about was the bugs.

They then figure out that it was the sixth night so that had to get Matt and his family out of there.

Matt's House: Matt is outside looking at bugs when he comes accross multiple bugs coming out from the ground.

Driving/On the phone with Larry and Matt: Dean tries to impersonate Travis to get Larry out of the house to no avail. Sam then calls Matt and tells Matt about the situation and how he has to get his family out of there. Dean takes the phone and tells him to lie in order to get them out of there.

Matt's House: Matt was unable to get his family out of the house because he told the truth and his father didn't believe him. After arguing, they see the whole swarm of bugs coming. They try to go fast enough to get to the car, so they all run into the house.

Attempting to call for help all phone lines are dead and the power went dead. They seal off all openings to the house. Dean then goes to find something to fend off the bugs. He gets flamable bug spray. They then realize they didn't seal off the fireplace and the bugs fly in. They go up to the attic and termites start eat through the wood allowing more bugs to get in. Everyone manages to survive long enough as the sun comes up and all the bugs disperce. The Next Day: Larry moves out of the house and production for the other houses end due to the bones Sam and Dean found. Larry isn't too sad because he realizes what he didn't lose, as in his family.Sam confronts Matt one final time, as Matt throws away his bug collection.

Sam and Dean re-assure themselves on how they will find their father. Once they do find him, Sam wants to apologize to him for all the things he said to him. They leave for their next adventure.
  • Esta vez lo sobrenatural no vino acompañado de lo habitual pero este capítulo es un ejemplo de la amplia gama de historias que esta serie puede cubrir. Además, saber que los actores en verdad tuvieron que enfrentarse a esos insectos fue really cool!

Ok, en resumen, los chicos van a investigar la muerte de un trabajador de construcción y terminan descubriendo que los insectos de la zona están causando muertes.
    Descubren los huesos de un nativo norteamericano y eso los lleva a una tribu donde les cuentan una vieja leyenda. Hace 200 años una tribu fue masacrada en ese lugar (la matanza duró 6 días) y al último día se juró que ningún hombre blanco volvería a ese valle o la naturaleza se vengaría y protegería el lugar. Al terminar el sexto día nadie sobreviviría.
    Ahora los hermanos tienen que advertir a los habitantes y evitar una masacre.
    Muy buen capítulo, véanlo.
  • Sure there were some good points. We really get to see how Sam thinks and feels about their dad, the running gags were good, and with work it could have been a better episode. But this one ranks as my least favorite episode.

7.7
    I was kind of left feeling kind of cold from this on the first time I saw it. This is the only episode I could skip in a marathon and not really miss seeing it, that's out of all three seasons thus far.

Now sure we get to see how Sam feels about John and how he thinks John may not even want to talk to him when they find him. Dean tells him it wasn't always John that was making life hard, and such. And we see how Sam can connect on a level with the home developer's son. With how the father treated his son, much in the same way Sam though John treated him. And the running gag in the episode about people thinking the brothers were a gay couple was funny, and the stuff involving the brothers squatting in one of the empty houses, was also good, and their banter back and forth, also good.

The parts of the episode I didn't like involved the curse that was causing the bugs to attack, and the bugs themselves. The computer generated spiders that attacked Linda were horrible, very fake looking. And as many people notice, at the end the major continuity problem with the time. It goes from being midnight to sunup in like five minutes, come on. It just seemed, to me, that the writers were told to come up with an episode as fast as humanly possible, without getting the chance to fix the rough spots first.
  • This episode was fantastic up until the ending, which kind of killed the story for me.

5.5
    "Supernatural" has very few episodes I would consider unenjoyable, and this one is no exception. The storyline follows strange deaths (as do most of their episodes in season one) that are related to, as per the title, bugs. While exploring the mystery of the strange deaths in a newly built subdivision, Dean and Sam are twice mistaken for a couple, which provides humorous moments. The familial tension between Dean and Sam is apparent in this episode as they meet a 16-year-old boy who doesn't get along with his father. Sam advises the boy that he can leave home in 2 years, and this angers Dean who is still upset that Sam left home for college.

As usual the tension between the brothers is apparent but not over done, which adds to the story nicely and while developing the characters of Dean and Sam a little bit more.

I scored this episode fairly low for a couple of reasons. The first is a small complaint that I almost never have with Supernatural, and that is the special effects were pretty cheesy. The spiders in the shower are blatantly CGI, and the spiders that fall from the towel are obviously rubber spiders. I can easily over look these problems. However, the most glaring problem I noted was towards the end of the episode when Sam and Dean are at the house to rescue the family. They say it is midnight when they arrive, so they obviously have several hours (around 6 or so) before dawn. Then they are chased throughout the house by the bees and Wham/Ta Da! it is dawn. I even watched this episode a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing some allusion of time passing, and I am sad to say that I didn't miss it because it wasn't there. Not cool, and a problem that could have been easily fixed a million different ways. It was a cop out ending that left me disappointed.

Other than the last few minutes, it was a great episode, but shoddy writing for the ending really mars the overall quality of the ep.
  • Not exactly a Supernatural happening. but whatever... it was still great!

My all time favourite moment in this episode would have to be when Linda Bloome says: "We accept anyone of any race, religion, colour or... Sexual orientation." Then Dean walks off and says: "I'm just gonna go talk to Larry. Okay honey?" and then slaps Sam on the butt. Cracks me up every time! But then we also can't forget the time when Dean is in the steam shower and he has the towel on his head and says: "This shower's awesome." That is like a classic line. Anyway! The other reasons I like this episode is because of the 'bug' factor. Bugs are fascinating, and it is great to see Sam and Dean working with them. One other thing is the part where they are all in the attic with like 60,000 bees, and they are trying to fight them off. This part is great, and the bees were 100% real! No visual effects or anything! If you ask me, Jared and Jensen did this bit rather well considering the circumstances!
  • A planned community in Oklahoma is attacked by creepy crawlies because of a Native American curse.

Ahaha, this is the episode everyone makes fun of, and the source of the infamous Bee Story. Awesome. True, this episode requires extreme suspension of disbelief and it's probably wise not to get too focused on the plot, but if you look past that this episode has some shining moments that guarantee its place as a Supernatural classic. I give you: Dean in the steam shower, Sam bristling over being called a chicken, free BBQ, Sam and Dean being mistaken for a gay couple, Dean slapping Sam on the butt and calling him 'honey', Sam thumping Dean through the car window, Dean watches Oprah and, on a less hilarious note, some deeper insight into the boys' very different memories of growing up with John Winchester for a father. Sam didn't know that his dad was proud of him and scared for him, and seeing that realisation on his face is one of the best moments in the episode. Like I said - this episode ain't all bad.
  • Even if there is absolutely no basis in truth for this episode, I don't think I'm going to be moving to Oklahoma.

If you have (heaven forbid) read the other reviews I've posted, you'll have probably noticed and wondered why I don't include Bugs in my shortlist of episodes that I just really don't like (namely Wendigo, Benders, and No Exit [Isxoda Net]). There are two answers, really. The first is that I just forgot about it when I first made that statement. The longer answer, though, is that the reason I forgot about it, and the reason I'm not really bothered, even though I don't think it's a high-class episode, is that it just is kind of laughable. It doesn't bother me so much to watch it because I can just say "yes, it's not a series classic: but it is still vaguely entertaining."

I'm not particularly creeped out by bugs (although this morning I did see a spider in my bed and like most normal people, don't particularly enjoy having such company as a bedfellow). However, I definitely remember some stuff from my childhood that made me scared of bugs back then (and as someone I know loves to repeat ad nauseam, "most of a child's outlook and belief system is created at a very young age, around the dinner table.") Just like the book on The Exorcism I was allowed to check out of the library, or Beetlejuice (I swear, my parents were good and loving...I think their line was just that if I found something, I should not read it or watch it. Obviously, I failed miserably at following that rule.), I was scared by a movie my older siblings were watching – I can't remember much more about the storyline than that there was a typical suburban family trapped in their house by killer bees. It's a pretty famous movie, though, you probably know what I'm talking about. I didn't like that, so much. I DID like a book series, the title of which I believe was something ingenious like "Real Scary Stories," "More Real Scary Stories," etc. They were collections of urban myths. Anyway, one story took place in Guatemala, I believe, and it was about the girl, bitten by a spider, who was in the shower when the swollen spider bite suddenly bursts and out pour hundreds of cute little baby spiders. I definitely thought of that story the next few times I had bug bites.

Speaking of bug bites and the teaser death (by the way, what self-respecting blue-collar worker from Oklahoma says "phat," may I ask you? Moving on...) all I could think about during the beetle scene (other than The Mummy) was the line from Lord of the Rings: "What do they eat when they can't get hobbit?!" I've certainly experienced that more than once, running in the woods...no matter how many bottles of bug spray you throw on yourself, horse and deer flies are apparently impervious, and bury in your hair and…yeah. Gross.

You know, it's rather ironic that the University of Oklahoma really does have a good anthropology department, I have a friend who is studying there right now. Ironic, because obviously Oklahoma is the site of one of the worst atrocities in American history (note: ONE of the worst, I'm not going to get into Manifest Destiny or internment camps and... "Bugs" is really just too ridiculous an episode for me to get into too angry a diatribe). Still, read Vonnegut's Hocus Pocus. Before I cut myself off, I DO have to ask how it is Joe and Jane American think it's ok to let their children play cowboys and Indians.

The most amazing part of Supernatural as a series is that the Boys are constantly breaking the very very first rule of horror. If they weren't the protagonists, and if there weren't only two of them (that is, if there were some disposable regulars) they would surely die due to their willingness to split up, drop into dark holes, make deals with demons, etc. Well, I guess you could argue that they *have* died, but that's rather Harry Potter-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too, so I'm ignoring it.

I think the main issue people take with this episode is the final confrontation against el que no es humano. The Boys arrive at midnight, after Sam has apocalyptically declared that, "If they don't get that family out of there, they'll die." Not only do they not get the family out, but they themselves stay in the house, and within five minutes several hours have passed. I think a few things could have made this easier to believe, including changing the line to 3 am, or allowing more editing to show that time has elapsed while they were holed up in the house. The way it is currently edited, it seems as if they come inside, shut the door and close everything, and almost immediately bugs get through the flue. They escape to the attic, but almost immediately termites have chewed through the ceiling. I think it'd be possible to do this with even just a few shots of the downstairs, teeming with insects, while they're in the attic, maybe a shot of a battery-powered clock showing the new time.

The larger problem, though, and one that I don't think is quite so close to the conscious level of viewing and thus isn't usually commented upon, is that the Boys don't do anything. They help the family hole themselves up, and Dean sprays at things with bug spray, but everything turns out to be quite ineffective. They are just too passive, and just like in English writing (I know I betray this rule all the time, so I'm just advocating what SHOULD happen, not what I myself do), the passive is the voice of the Devil. Literally.
  • Bugs in a bad mood and father-son communication problems.

This review contains spoilers.

The brothers investigate a couple of suspicious deaths linked to a construction company. It turns out that its insects killing people. At first they think the owner’s son is behind it but after some research the brothers realize the area is cursed because of the way the natives were treated in the past. And let’s face it; nothing is scarier than a curse (or almost nothing). One thing that wasn’t scary was the scene with the spiders coming out of the shower-head. It was almost funny, it just looked so unreal. Jared and Jensen were in a room full of live bees. Wouldn’t want to experience that myself. One bug is not that scary but put a couple of hundred of them in a room and I think anyone would be scared, or at least a little bit freaked out. I mean beestings hurt. The curse-storyline is one of two told in this episode. The other one focuses on Sam and the owner’s son and how they feel misunderstood by their fathers. We get a deeper look into Sam and dean’s childhood and realize that Sam and john have had problems for a long time. Sam always felt wrongly treated because he wanted to have a normal life and not be a part of the hunter life-stile. In fact they haven’t spoken to each other in several years.
    Sam: "Well dad never treated you like that, you were perfect. Has was all over my case. You don't remember?"
    Dean: "Well, maybe he had to raise his voice, but sometimes you were out of line."
    Sam: "Right! Right, like when I said I'd rather play soccer than learn bow hunting."
    Dean: "Bow hunting's an important skill!"
    I think this scene is a classic. The scene where Dean tells Sam that their father checked up on him at Stanford without him knowing it was great. The look on Sam’s face. At that moment it hits him that John was only trying to protect him and that he didn’t even try to understand his father.
    One of my favorite scenes in the entire first season is in this episode. Sam and Dean talk to construction company employees at the BBQ and are several times taken for a couple. Priceless!
    Larry: "Let me just say: We accept home owners of any race, religion, color or...sexual orientation."
    Dean: "We're brothers."
    ...some time later...
    Real Estate Agent: "We accept home owners of all races, religions, colors or sexual orientation."
    Dean: "Right! Uh, I'm going to talk to Larry. Okay, honey?"
    And the fact that he smacks Sam on the butt! Doesn’t matter that I’ve seen it many times before it always makes me laugh out laud.
    Not a great episode but some scenes lift the entire story and make it worth watching!
  • Dean and Sam investigate strange incedents involving bugs in a newly developed neighborhood, only to find out the area is cursed.

While not the best episode, Bugs was still highly entertaining and adventurous. While there was no visible demon or evil creaure to kill, the bugs were creepy enough to make up for it. Similarily, while the wonderful humor may not have been quite so present in this particular episode, it was still there, and still creative, memorable, and as hilarious as always. I really liked in this episode that the brothers were able to stay in a proper house for a change (even if they weren't supposed to be there) instead of yet another motel room. I think they deserve such small comforts once in a while, especially with the life they lead. Such as the steam showers, as funny as that scene was, it was nice to see Dean relaxed and happy and enjoying something simple and normal like that. I found it odd, though, the slight descrepancy in the time frame. At the point where the house is being swarmed with bugs, the time from midnight until sunrise lasts an unbeleivable small amount of time! Obviously they can't show the whole time on the show, but there is no point to indicate a longer space of time has gone by than what is shown. A small point, but it bother me every time.
    However, this is still a great episode, not one of the best, but brilliant nonetheless.
  • Can you imagine coming onto set and seeing your whole crew in full bee suits. That's fine, untill they tell you to jump into a room FULL of stinging bees... without your bee suit.

Bugs was interesting. We were given a few more details about Sam's relationship with John. We saw him connect with Matt who didn't exactly share the best relationship with his dad. I loved how Dean stood up for John. Just like a good little soldiar. How adorable is Dean?

I liked how they described the legend. It was a curse, and you cannot fix or stop a curse, you can only get out of its way. And that's exactly what they did. They made sure that no one would disturb the burial grounds again at the same time a=making sure no one else would die. I really liked the tribe member at the restaurant. He made sure Dean knew that he felt disrespected by him lying. I loved Dean's reaction though. Then Sam's full honesty regaining his trust. It takes Sam to tell the truth.

I couldn't stop laughign when i realized the abducted car with a bloody car seat and blood stained seats, the liscense plate was WTF then some numbers. :D
< 1 2 3