Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• Big let down.

Growing tired of the aimlessness of Invasion I thought I'd give this show another try with this episode and what a damn waste of an hour of my life.

The set up was fine but the ending? Are they serious?

They get to the house, it's pitch black, they scuffle with the bugs for a few minutes and then it's daylight? Excuse me, did I miss six hours somewhere?

No explaination - just a shot of the clear blue sky and that's all.

Guess what - that's all this show will get out of me if this is the kind of crap they plan to pull.

Ripping off Kolchak and the X-Files is fine but at least have a story that doesn't bail at the last minute because the writers could not think of a way out for the heroes.
  • By far this was the worst episode of the season.

We do learn more about Sam's relationship with their father. We also learn a little more about how they get money to keep on driving. The plot of this week was kinda week though at least I should say the conclusion of it. They wrapped it up way too quickly for what they said needed to happen. This week's episdoe does set up next week a little bit once I saw the preview. Next week's episode though looks great I hope that things are just darkest before the dawn.
  • I hate bugs. Seriously.

6.9
    If there’s one thing that never fails to leave me with that creeped-out feeling, it’s swarming bugs. I seldom have nightmares (scary things rarely scare me), but I’ll admit, swarming bugs would qualify. It’s that sense that there’s nothing you can do but pray for survival, because there’s no way to fight back. So this was an episode that I wasn’t particularly looking forward to, if you know what I mean.

This was more about character than the bug invasion itself, which is the preference, from my point of view. The bugs were actually incidental to the main thrust of the episode, which might explain why the resolution of the bug invasion was somewhat lacking. That had to be the fastest midnight-to-dawn transition ever seen. Also, I find it hard to imagine that the spiritual bug swarm, which had previously run amok during daylight hours, would simply disappear with sunlight. Killing humans on the land seemed more to the point of the actual curse, despite the time limit.

Anyway, that didn’t bother me so much, because I was too busy enjoying the tension between Sam and Dean. Previous episodes focused on Dean’s bitterness with Sam and the idea that Sam left the family behind. Sam has never hidden his feelings about their father and his very different personal philosophy, but now the writers have shown us how that colors his impressions of family in general.

Dean does a great job of clamping down on his resentments, even if he uses that negative energy in less than perfect pursuits. Dean runs deep, however, as his handling of Sam’s emotional state demonstrates. If Sam’s point of view has been covered rather well, we’ve seldom gotten to hear their father’s side of the equation. Either Dean has a twisted perspective on how things went down before Sam left home, or Sam is a bit too good at holding on to bitterness and anger.

I’d vote for something in between, since Dean tends to romanticize the whole “hunting” to compensate for the lack of much else in his life. Sure, Dean believes in what he’s doing, but one gets the sense that much of his life is distraction. Distraction, in this case, from the fact that he didn’t have what Sam had: the potential for something more. Dean had to focus on his family, so when Sam didn’t, it was a betrayal.

This episode did stray from the typical format in the sense that the primary guest character was not a nubile young woman with an eye for one of the brothers. Sure, there was the realtor, but she was a minor aspect of the overall episode, almost like a token attempt to stick with the style of the series. While the series could do with occasional episodes like this without the eye candy, I personally think that it’s part of the style and concept, and it does much to establish and reinforce Dean’s escapist psychology.
  • bugs is lot better than I was expecting, because there was a big buzz that it will be a filler episode. I think not!!!!!!

Bugs episode was more focused on about the relationship between Father and sons. Bugs has a kind message that no matter how much we may differ with our parents. In the end, they want best for us.

Sam and Dean as brothers are doing phenomenal job, the way these two worked together make them very beleivable as brother. This is the beauty of this Show, sometimes script may be less creepy or scary but Sam and Dean 's relation make show very interesting to watch.

Bugs and Wendigo are quite similar to each other in the sense they reveal true emotions of the characters.
  • Sam and dean find out about a native american curse that is put on a land and are infested by bugs.

Well first off the 2 brothers are so different and reconcile about their father after they see how the realtor treats his son. Sam feels what the 13year old feel because of his experiences with his father and how they didn't really get along. His father wanted him to learn hunting skills for solving a supernatural mystery and he wanted to join a soccer team and have a normal life. Dean tells him that their dad is proud of him just if he would have called he could have told him that he was proud of him and that he should follow whatever he pleases to do in life.
    The memorable scene of the realtor thinking both brothers were gay was funny as when dean slapped sam in the butt just to get a kickout of it. Another memorable scene was when the brothers sneak into the house and dean tries the sauna and comes out of the bathroom with a towel on his head looking like an idot but funny. I can't wait till next week when sam and dean go back home and dean seems like of akward going into thed house where their mom died because it brings back bad memories for the guys well more for dean because he saw what happened to his mom and was young when he witnessed that event and sam was just a baby and didn't remember anything just that his mom died.
  • A contracter starts developing houses on cursed ground.

This one was not very good. The thing that bothered me was at the end, inspite of the bugs swarming in the house, none of them got killed or bitten. Odd.

Another thing that bothers me is why do they tack on the little thing about them looking for their father? This part is very neglected and needs more than a 2 minute conversation.
  • Fathers and sons...and a town full of bugs.

I gotta admit that I was somewhat reluctant to watch this episode with high expectations. I mean, small town...big bug problem...heroes save the day, etc. etc. etc. But as usual with "Supernatural", I was completely blown away. This episode could have been so cliche, but in fact the bug story was, in my own opinion, kinda secondary to what the episode was really about. Quite simply, last night's episode was about fathers and sons and their relationships (or lack thereof).

Finally! We get some great back story of Sam's relationship with his and Dean's father. Yes, Sam was forced to face some demons (metaphorically, this time at least). Evidently, Sam and John (the Winchesters' dad) have had their fair share of differences which, if I heard correctly, one point of which resulted in Sam being kicked out of the house. But after Dean explained that, despite everything John and Sam had done and said to each other, when Sam went off to college that John would stop by and check up on him. Now THAT'S a father's love. It's hardly the most heartfelt thing in the world, but given everything this family has been through I feel compelled to emphasize that. It seems that John wants his sons to be safe HIS way after the horror of their mother's death and the bizarreness surrounding it, which is clearly why he raised his sons to be like warrior ghostbusters (or Slayers, for lack of a more humorous reference). Therefore he feels it more appropriate to keep his sons safe by turning them into monster killers. But it's also understandable that Sam just wants a normal safe life. However, as much as he's tried to do this, it just ain't meant to be. His girlfriend died the same horrible death their mother did and now Sam sees he really has no choice but to join the 'family business' of spook hunting. Side note: I still think the mystery of all this is related to Sam, but more on that as the story unfolds. Anyway, both Sam and John are right in their arguements, but they disagree with each other, even though Sam ultimately had to give in to the whole thing.

Obviously we were meant to see a parallel between Larry and his son Matt to John and Sam (and even Dean in that respect). That's pretty much what started the whole 'worm can opening' from Dean about Sam and John, and it also explains why Sam was so easy to befriend Matt. I was so glad to see Larry genuinely show how he was wrong and admitted how much he cares for his family at the end. He could've come off as the typical hard-headed, stubborn, domineering father, which he started off as portraying, so it was nice to see him soften in the end. Kinda reminds me of 'Hook Man', where the suspected dad was in fact a victim instead of instigator. Yet another reason why I'm loving this show, I am really liking all these one-time secondary characters. I so hope we get to see them again in the future.

Now, about Dean. It's interesting that Dean kept emphasizing the word 'family' to Sam. And the way he said it. I kept getting mixed emotions during all of Dean's scolding to Sam over their father. Part of me felt that Dean just wanted to berate Sam for leaving and abandoning the family just out of spite and possible jealousy, and the other part of me felt that he did in fact do it to simply show Sam how much he cares about his brother and his well being. Like I said in my review for 'Bloody Mary', I think there's more to Dean than he's letting on at this point, but again more as the story continues... It is also interesting that Sam told Dean that John said that Dean was the 'perfect one'. This could just be simply that Dean had seemed (I guess) more enthused about monster hunting with his dad than Sam was, and therefore John thought of Dean that way. Clearly, in John's eyes, Sam wanting a normal life is not perfect. I have one problem, however, with Sam wanting to apologize to John when they find him. He shouldn't be the only one. John should apologize too. And not just to Sam, but also to Dean. Don't misunderstand, as justified as John is to find the thing that killed his wife, he really shouldn't have gotten his children involved, especially against their will. He obviously took that choice away from them, although Sam took a rebellious turn from it. Which leads me to wonder what kind of choices Dean would make if he were not in the bizz. He's the family wild man, so go figure. But then again, Dean had said that he would choose their family instead of a normal one any day. So he must've chosen to go along with John on his own to some degree. But that statement Dean made about choosing anything over normal makes sense in so many ways if one really thinks about it. But I'll leave that open for debate another time.

Before I finish I have to say at least something about the bug story. Wow! I had never heard anything supernatural about bugs (short of just the usual sci fi stuff anyway) but this story actually had me interested. A Native American curse with references to biblical plagues and such. Fresh, yet...not. But still very cool. The climax left a tad to be desired, although it was a neat idea to not have the bugs completely destroyed (again would've been cliche) but I thought it was a little too strange that they were attacked at MIDNIGHT and a couple of minutes later it's dawn. Well, it WAS cut during a commercial break, so maybe they waited out a whole night during that time. Silly, I know, but because I love this show so much I'll let it slide.

Bits and pieces:
    Loved the 2 scenes where Sam and Dean were thought to be gay by Larry and the lady realtor. And after the 2nd time Dean calling Sam 'honey'. Just hilarious and, crazy as this may sound, just a little bit sexy. (Must be my pregnancy hormones talking.)
    The deaths of Dustin and the realtor were pretty classic gruesome horror. Loved them.
    As always the special effects kicked serious bootay.
    Loved Dean's 'encounter' with the old Native American man calling him a liar.
    Dean telling Matt "I thought we had a plan" in front of Larry.
    And, of course, Sam's friendship with Matt.

Giving this episode a 9.7. Great, but lacking in just a few minor areas. The WB promo for next week's episode states that it will be an unforgettable event. The Winchester boys return to the ol' homestead where it all started. And boy, does it look like it WILL be unforgettable. Hope we get tons of more back story material. Until then....
  • its a exciting episode that gives more info on the history between sam and dean

its a exciting episode that gives more info on the history between sam and dean.well written it was good because of how the plot acutally made sum sense and was a bit nerve racking. it was needed to find out more about the family history and this episode did it for you.
  • The brothers\' current gig is to evacuate a newly-established neighborhood before an old curse kills all the residents. And then the sun rises.

7.9
    This has probably been my least favorite episode. The special effects were kind of disappointing after Skin (a torrent of spiders just suddenly seep out from behind the showerhead?), and it wasn\\\'t scary at all, unless you\\\'re creeped out by bugs.
    I was especially disappointed with the conclusion. It\\\'s barely midnight, the bugs are coming, the tension\\\'s building, and all of a sudden the sun comes out and everything\\\'s blooming daisies. Way too quick n\\\' easy - seemed like the writers just needed a solution.
    I still enjoyed watching it, though. There was good character development. You see some of the bitterness Sam harbors towards Dad, and the tension between the brothers. There\\\'s also the usual humor and banter between the brothers.
    Expecting a lot more from next week\\\'s episode!
  • EWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!

EWWWWWWWWW this episode wuz so gross

even though i hate many bugs at one time i still watched the episode even though through the house pppl heard screams of" ewwwwwww" and me pretendig to get sick cuz the first death that we saw wuz so gross it wuz so creepy but it really defined the relationship between sam and his father.
  • Bugs Gone Wild

I think that deep within the human DNA is an inherant dislike for bugs. It's possible that Westerners are more afflicted with the aversion than those in the rst of te world but since I'm a Westerner, this episode creeped me out. Instead of monsters, the baddie is a righteous Indian curse. Ewwww best describes the episode.
  • Dean and Sam are investigating mysterious deaths involving bugs, and they realize that an ancient Native American curse is becoming a reality right before their eyes, and they have to save everybody they can.

Bugs are creepy, so this episode didn\'t really do much for me. But I love this show, so of course I had to watch it. But the bugs were creepy, and gross. Now I\'m going to be afraid of any little bug that I see, just cause of this show. But still good. Some funny one-liners.
  • They're losing their touch...

By far, this was a big disappointment. I don't unerstand, the other eisodes were amazing but when I saw this, I was traumatized at how boring it was to watch, I watched the whole thing to see if it would improve but sadly it got worse. Hopefully they will make a comeback...
  • First episode I've ever seen; the bugs creeped me out a LOT, especially the spiders, but I still enjoyed it.

I've never watched Supernatural before. I got to watch it because my friend loaned me her tape with Gilmore Girls on it, and she had Supernatural after it. I'd always wanted to see it so I watched it, and I'm very glad I did, bugs aside.

The first scene with the guy falling in a sinkhole and getting devoured by beatles was gross. I hate bugs a whole lot, so I basically had my eyes covered. And the issue with the tarantula and the spiders... also eye-covering moments. *shudder* Even so, it was a good episode.

I was a bit unclear about what was going on with their dad other than him being missing, and that Sam's relationship with him was troubled. But I liked how Sam concluded he wanted to find their dad and apologize. And everything Dean had to say about their relationship... good stuff. I like it a lot. And Dean in that shower... LOL. He and his brother are very different.

Unfortunately for me, I'm used to Jared Padalecki as a Dean, not a Sam. (Dean from Gilmore Girls of course.) Must adjust because I want to watch more of this.
  • Gross

this episode was not as good as all the others. the bugs freked me out and i was looking around my room for an hour to make sure that there werent any bugs in there. the ending sucked and i wasnt consistant. the sun rose at like 12:05. totally unrealistic. but at least we saw dean with a towel on his head. that was funny that and the gay insinuations were hilarious. "im gonna go talk to jerry now, okay honey" i sincerely hope the next episode Home is good. it looks good.
  • A decent outing with a fairly good creep factor, but everything was wrapped up far to simply.

'Bugs' was an okay episode, nothing special, and not nearly as interesting as prior episodes. The introduction of the 'indian burial ground' myth was kinda fun, and a standout performance in this one came from a Native American actor, playing a curmugeonly old wise man helping the boys out. The idea of bugs as the enemy was done decently, though not as effective as in prior 'X-Files' episodes. I thought that the crisis in the episode was wrapped up far too easily and painlessly, and I've never seen a sunrise happen so quickly before (watch the episode....nighttime lasted around 1 hour in the plot). It was a decent go, but I know there's better to come.
  • Bugs. It was alright. I mean it wasn't that freaky. They should of had some bees. Bees freak me out.

7.8
    This episode was alright. It was better when I thought this kid was controlling these bugs. But it turns out that it was only because they were building this residential area over a supposed ancient burial grown. Darn those ruly native Americans.

Here's hoping that next weeks episode, when the boys return home, will make up for this eh episode. (Phew! I couldn't type episode for the life of me! Just trying to waste a few more words.)
  • look is it just me or is this episode a bit to goofy i mean when the 2 victem dies she crashes out of the shower and the glass falls in ??? and then a big pudle of blood just goes \"plop\" straight down. talk about lame special effects

me and my bro got this off the emule and we were whaching the shower sean and we laghed our heads off come on the spiders loked like blobs\" the blobs are attacking\" and in the scene my bro and i nodiced 3 difrent goofs *1. she runs out of the shower and the glass falls inward????? *2. after the glass a big blob of blood just falls straghit down no splatter *3. when sam and dean our in they see the room and the glass fell out ward like it was soposed to but what did the glass just walk out its self i mean sheh
  • 90% good 10% not

I rate this episode in the middle of ok and more then good less then great. I LOVE how they usually take regular everyday legends and forklore and make them in a big battle. I think that it was pretty good because the attatchment between Sam and Matt and how Dean finds it offensive what Sam says. And I love how they had gay jokes about Sam and Dean when they're looking at the houses. Especially whan Dean pinches Sams butt.
  • Oops. Repost.

7.9
    This has probably been my least favorite episode. The special effects were kind of disappointing after Skin (a torrent of spiders just suddenly seep out from behind the showerhead?), and it wasn\'t scary at all, unless you\'re creeped out by bugs.
    I was especially disappointed with the conclusion. It\'s barely midnight, the bugs are coming, the tension\'s building, and all of a sudden the sun comes out and everything\'s blooming daisies. Way too quick n\' easy - seemed like the writers just needed a solution.
    I still enjoyed watching it, though. There was good character development. You see some of the bitterness Sam harbors towards Dad, and the tension between the brothers. There\'s also the usual humor and banter between the brothers.
    Expecting a lot more from next week\'s episode!
  • Bugs was a cute eposide i mean sam was soo hott in the eposide! and matt was kinda cute 2. but it was about the killer bugs who aatack them but as usual sam and dean kicked their asses.

ok, Bugs was a great eposide I think in my opinion. it also has nothing 2 do wit the fact6 that im in luv wit the co-star Jared Padalecki who playes the part of sam in the show hes soo hott it was a great eposide i luved it! i dont really care what other ppl think. but.. the story lin3 on how the indians had bugs and stuff was a bit of a let down BUT I LUVED IT!!!
  • not a good pick of story line

i stilll think that this is one of the replacment shows for the x-files but in this episode even if it was well written and directe it was not one of my favoraties. I think that the bug storiy is not a big seller among viewrs. The next episode has great expectations i will let you know next week
  • 10 minutes = 5 Hours

Well it was how can i say this...? Well since we have the scene in which 10 minutes become 5 hours and i am left wondering what happened that much sums up the whole episode. Oh and the story kind of sucked and it was full of goofs... I think the show is deteriorating
  • This was the worst episode of the series so far in my opinion.

I really like this show, but there is one thing that keeps bothering me and it is the extremely good luck that the brothers always have. They always are in the middle of some supernatural (duh) thing with almost no clue about what to do and manage to get off in one piece.

This episode made me feel like the writers are playing with me. They enter in the house exactly at midnight, knowing that the indian curse is "no white man will live"... and suddenly, 10 minutes later is sunrise??? What the hell happened there? The brother didn't do anything, they just entered a house in panick and survived with no reason.

I think that they've could have done it better. The great things that the show has were there as always, the relation between the brothers for example. The bugs were a nice touch, but the ending is really dissapointing.

Also, there was no moving down the storyline, they are nowhere near to finding their dad and nothing happens in that sense. It feels like a filler episode, a bad one, but i still think that the show is great and has potential for even a lot more towards the end of the season.
  • "I've heard of killer bees but killer beetles?"

The previews for this episode made it seem like the episode wouldn't be as good as the previous ones and it wasn't but it was better than I thought it would be.

All the real estate people assuming Dean and Sam were homosexuals was pretty funny and the killer bugs and curse was pretty cool for a plot though did lack in some places.

The ending was a slap in the face because it became bright so quickly that it didn't seem believable but I guess the writers couldn't make everyone die and as stated in the episode, you can't kill a curse.

Overall, the episode isn't as good as the seven before it but is worth watching.
  • This episode was not as bad as i thought it was but it could have been better...I hate probably every bug i see especialy cockroaches they scare the crap out of me (with wings or without) lol

'Bugs' could have been better but there was some good parts in the episode. I found the part were dean and sam go to that 'People buying a house BBQ' and when told the same thing by the guy who answered the door "We accept people of all races, color, and sexual orientation.", the same quote is said to sam and dean by the real estate agent

Real Estate Agent: We accept people of all races, color, and sexual orientation.
    Dean: Hmm, right. Ah, I'm going to go talk to Larry. Okay, Honey? (smacks Sam on the butt).
    I found that part really funny :). But there were other parts in the episode that were funny and occasionally scary :)...Im hoping that the next few episodes are going to be just as good as the others:)

• well yous all said it sucked so i thought it would really suck but it was actually ok

i really liked that we got to find out more about the sam - dean - dad relationship. the special effects were pretty kool except the shower scene they looked a bit.....transparent and fuzzy.

well being in australia and being episodes behind everyone else i like reading oter reviews to see whether the next episode of some show is worth watching or cant make it but i gotta say....i neva thought they could find the hottest guys on the planet and put them on one show but they have proven me wrong.

ok episode overall but still, sam and dean so HOT!!!
  • I used to have a bug phobia, this episode didn't exactly cure that

Wow, I didn’t expect this episode to be THAT good. I’ve always been very frightened of bugs for some reason, and this one didn’t really took my fear away. Every minute I was going all ‘ew, ew, ew, ew, ew’ but I’ve also always been interested in bug episodes. Those always leave something behind, they impress me. But this was unexpected, the episode was very wel written without a chick-of-the-week character (finally) and pretty original (something new for the show)

It all begins with two guys who are making houses on new ground but suddenly one of the two falls in a hole filled with insects, when the other finally grabs some rope to take him out, he finds his buddy dead.

Dean and Sam go to some party where people are going to buy new houses on that ground, and everyone thought that Dean and Sam were lovers. Ahahah! That made me laugh out loud, so wrong it’s almost hot.

They soon meet the first main-guy role. A kid called Matthew who is very fond of bugs and he becomes a suspect immediately. He also tries to scare this woman that later on the episode gets killed in her shower by hundreds of spiders.

Dean, Sam and Matthew later go in the woods and they find a huge place filled with worms, Dean grabs something that is buried in that place and it turns out to be a skull.

Also something I really liked about the episode was Sam’s story and that his father always treated him like a freak because he always wanted to do normal stuff. Sam thought that his father was disappointed in him but Dean says that there is no such thing. This was a great add to the father storyline and the first reason so far that made me want to meet their dad.

Anyway, Dean and Sam think that the skull they found was from a native American and they go to a village close to there and they find an old man who doesn’t like Dean’s lying, but he likes Sam because he’s honest. He tells that on the land where those new houses are coming, that years ago when the native Americans lived there that they were murdered in six days by white folks. So now the land is cursed and in six days the nature would kill all the whites.

Dean and Sam call Matthew to get his family out of there but the father doesn’t believe them. Soon they figure out it’s too late so they hide in the house but the insects come inside and almost kills them until the light comes back and all the insects leave (I wasn’t happy with this conclusion because it wasn’t really an explanation why they survived) but oh well. The dad of the kid was now proud of him and Sam wants to find his dad now more than ever.

I never expected this episode to be so good, the only minus was the conclusion of the episode.
    I’ve always had a bug phobia and this didn’t cure me!
  • Is it me or was this ep the lamested so far...

1.1
    To be quite honest i think that this was the worst ep that i have seen so far. i very much dout if i will be watching any future ep\\\\\\\'s (i know that at this point a few of you may be screaming at you screen saying \\\\\\\"you idiot\\\\\\\" along with \\\\\\\"what are you talking about\\\\\\\" but this is just my view. if it makes you feal any better i used to thing that it was amazing and the storyline was creative, but after a while i realised that it was incredably simmilar to other shows that are on at the moment. come on you have to admit that it is pretty similar to other shows that are on at the moment/have been on.

i havent seen any more eps since this one was aired and from what my frieds have told me (if you dont know i sugest you stop reading) in the next ep they show Dean and Sam\\\\\\\'s dad in several scenes. i mean if that doesent just scream out with stupidity then what does. i mean i thought that the entire first series was about Sam and Dean finding their dad, with the audience knowing as much as the characters on this isue along with killing what ever evil creatures they came across on their quest to find their dad.

it truly was a let down, and i dout if i will watch any more eps of this show.

ow and one more thing, since when can spiders crawl through sollid concreat, i mean they wernt even crawling out of the shower head. pathetic, and then she falls throught the glass pannel. only one thing can sum this up.
    Lame.
  • Killer bugs...not the best plotline

Every show has to have an episode that tanked, and this was Supernatural's, in my opinion. Witty banter aside (which is always great), "Bugs" didn't have a lot going for it.

People are dying mysteriously from bugs - beetles, spiders, etc. So far, the medical examiner has gone with human mad cow disease, but Sam and Dean aren't buying it.

Turns out, a housing development is being built on sacred Native American land. There is a curse that should any white man live there, a horrible death will befall him. Oops, hate it when that happens!

There's also a major fault in the timeline for the conclusion. Somehow we make it from evening to daybreak in five minutes during the big conclusion...that was the deal breaker for me.

So if you missed this one, don't worry - you didn't, not really.
< 1 2 3