Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• Bugs, bugs, bugs everywhere. Bugs, Bugs, everywhere, bugs. More bugs. Here a bug and there a bug. Beetles, roaches, and more. Scary? Heck no. I kept waiting to see the characters from "A Bug's Life" to appear. Sam and Dean should become exterminaters.Wow

Sam and Dean arrive in Oasis Plains, OK after a construction worker falls down a sinkhole and has his brain dissolved. Great gross out factor. They arrive at the open house barbecue thrown by the realtors of the new housing development to snoop around and asked detailed questions about the area. The realtor's son, Matt, who is fascinated with bugs, becomes the prime suspect when it come to light that another insect-related murder happens. An investigation into the town's history reveals that the housing development was built upon ancient Native American land. The local tribe's ancestor's cursed it after they'd been forced off it by rapping and pillaging cavalrymen. The curse proclaims that no white man shall survive the sixth night of the spring equinox, which you know, is that night. Sam and Dean battle bug, bug after boring bug.The only saving grace for this episode is when Dean is in the hot shower. He loves hot showers as much as I do.
  • Dean&Sam arrive in a town checking up a report of a mysterious death, and stop at a realtor's open house barbecue. Sam meets the realtor's son , who is fascinated with bugs. Soon the town is invaded by swarms of deadly bugs, and there may be no way out.

Dean and Sam arrive in a town checking up a report of a mysterious death, and stop at a realtor's open house barbecue. Sam meets the realtor's son Matt, who is fascinated with bugs. Soon the town is invaded by swarms of deadly bugs, and there may be no way out. Not my favourite episode..i actually could call it my least favourite! maybe cause i found insects rather discusting...however they scary part was there, comedy was also there and overall i could call it a pretty interesting episode!
  • Is it me or was this ep the lamested so far...

1.1
    To be quite honest i think that this was the worst ep that i have seen so far. i very much dout if i will be watching any future ep\\\\\\\'s (i know that at this point a few of you may be screaming at you screen saying \\\\\\\"you idiot\\\\\\\" along with \\\\\\\"what are you talking about\\\\\\\" but this is just my view. if it makes you feal any better i used to thing that it was amazing and the storyline was creative, but after a while i realised that it was incredably simmilar to other shows that are on at the moment. come on you have to admit that it is pretty similar to other shows that are on at the moment/have been on.

i havent seen any more eps since this one was aired and from what my frieds have told me (if you dont know i sugest you stop reading) in the next ep they show Dean and Sam\\\\\\\'s dad in several scenes. i mean if that doesent just scream out with stupidity then what does. i mean i thought that the entire first series was about Sam and Dean finding their dad, with the audience knowing as much as the characters on this isue along with killing what ever evil creatures they came across on their quest to find their dad.

it truly was a let down, and i dout if i will watch any more eps of this show.

ow and one more thing, since when can spiders crawl through sollid concreat, i mean they wernt even crawling out of the shower head. pathetic, and then she falls throught the glass pannel. only one thing can sum this up.
    Lame.
  • Seriously … seriously?!!

Ok, with such boring episodes as Dead in the Water, Bloody Mary, Hook Man, now Bugs, and not so great episodes in between, how I stayed a fan of this show is beyond me … maybe watching two scorching hot guys made it all the more bearable :D
    The good news … it all gets better … really soon (like next episode maybe ;) )

Anyhow, BUGS, hate 'em, even butterflies are icky to me! The Indian curse idea wasn't so engaging, all conversations and arguments involving their dad were too blatant, and really the entire episode was ill-constructed and tedious. (Except for the scene where Sam finds out about his dad swinging by Stanford to check on him, that was very emotional) The endscene was incredible, and not in a good way.

Jim Byrnes (the actor who played the college professor), I really wish they kept him for a bigger, more important role in days to come, I love this guy ever since his WiseGuy days (re-runs) he's a good actor. On a different note, this episode marks the beginning of the gay jokes" on the show, it was funny seeing how the boys reacted to them, especially Dean, but by the time we got to Playthings (season 2 episode 11) they became ridiculously redundant. It was still amusing at this point though.

The episode's most interesting moment: "wasn't that on Oprah" … "you watch Oprah?!"
  • 108-"Bugs

After a construction worker for a new housing development dies in a sinkhole, his brain dissolving within minutes, the brothers head to Oasis Plains, Oklahoma, to investigate. There they learn of mysterious, bug-related deaths in the town. After doing research, they discover that a Native American tribe used to live in the area, but its members were murdered by cavalrymen, with the tribe's chief placing a curse on the land as he died. Sam and Dean determine that the curse will reach its climax that night, and race to warn the family living there as swarms of insects attack. They are able to fight off the bugs and survive through the night, and the insects leave at sunrise. The site is shut down temporarily as the boys discovered an unmarked Native American grave and the developer, who's family they saved from the bugs, decides to make sure it remains shut down.

written by: Rachel Nave & Bill Coakley:

Directed by: kim Manners

my thoughts: worst ep so far nothing really good about this ep...meh and its still not moving the story along.

Ep. rankings

5.)"Dead in the water"

6.)"phantom traveler"

7.)"wendigo"

8.)"Bugs"
  • Sam and Dean investigate when people of a new develpped area begin to be killed by bugs. They met the realtor's son Matt who loves bugs...

This episode was okay but i found that besides the fact that it was really funny because the realtor thought that Sam and Dean were gay nothing really happend. The brothers did not fix the problem it kind o just went away. They never really figured it out, like it was a great episode common its Supernatural but, they didnt do anything.

Sneaking into that empty house and taking that steam shower.. nice Dean. I thought that they could of done more to this episode and had the brothers fix the problem and explain more at the end what really happend are the bugs coming back should they all leave and not developpe more on the land or are the bugs gone for good and the problem is fixed.

I still thought that it was good but could of been even better. sorry
  • worst episode in tv history

How the hell do you run in a house at twelve midnight run up to the attic at about 1205 fight some bugs for five minutes and then the sun comes up... wtf man that was a lazy ending... but the rest of the episode are awesome just don't pull this again... atleast lie to me...
  • Lazy Writing

As soon as the guy in the new real estate construction at the beginning falls in the the hole, and is killed by bugs, I think to myself, "If this is a f*cking Indian burial ground plot, I'm done" Well, guess what. Maybe the writers just got done watching Poltergeist. At the end of the episode, the Brothers show up at the Realtor's house, and declare that it is midnight, the bug swarm is coming. The bugs come, everyone hides in the house, the bugs break in, and - PRESTO - five minutes later it is daylight. Absolutely no attempt at pretending hours had passed. It's just morning, and the bugs fly away. The end.

I'm rating this a 3 out of 10 purely for the unintentional comedic element.
  • look is it just me or is this episode a bit to goofy i mean when the 2 victem dies she crashes out of the shower and the glass falls in ??? and then a big pudle of blood just goes \"plop\" straight down. talk about lame special effects

me and my bro got this off the emule and we were whaching the shower sean and we laghed our heads off come on the spiders loked like blobs\" the blobs are attacking\" and in the scene my bro and i nodiced 3 difrent goofs *1. she runs out of the shower and the glass falls inward????? *2. after the glass a big blob of blood just falls straghit down no splatter *3. when sam and dean our in they see the room and the glass fell out ward like it was soposed to but what did the glass just walk out its self i mean sheh
  • It's not my favorite, but they could do worse. Worth watching at least once.

5.5
    Again, not my favorite episode. Actually, it probably ranks all the way on the bottom of my list, or at least second to the last. But there were some good things about this episode too. See, that's why I love this show. Even at their lowest, it's still good!

We finally get to see that Sam and John weren't on the best of terms, never really were. Oh, and the native american man cracks me up to no end!! "I tell you what my grandfather tell me, and what his grandfather tell him."

Wow, I love those dudes. They tell a story better then anyone, even better then Sophia Patrillo from Golden Girls.

Oh, and the boys first encounter with people thinking they're gay That was funny, too. But, let me tell you, if you're squeemish about bugs, this will have you paranoid for weeks! Especially the spiders...*shudders* Not cool.

Another good thing is, we get a hint that Dean may or may not watch Oprah! Hahaha

So yeah, okay episode, worth watching at least once...but they could do better...

My fave quotes:

Sam Winchester: They're saying it's mad cow.
    Dean Winchester: Mad cow, that was on Oprah.
    Sam Winchester: You watch Oprah?

Dean Winchester: Growing up in a place like this would freak me out.
    Sam Winchester: Why?
    Dean Winchester: The manicured lawns. 'How was your day, Honey'. I'd blow my brains out!
    Sam Winchester: There's nothing wrong with normal.
    Dean Winchester: I'd take our family over normal any day.
    (Not totally true, as we learn in 2.20 that's exactly what he dreams of having.)

[Sam and Dean are posing as potential homeowners]
    Lynda Bloome: Well, let me just say that we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color or...
    [looks at Sam and Dean]
    Lynda Bloome: sexual orientation.
    Dean Winchester: Hmm, right.
    [to Sam]
    Dean Winchester: I'm gonna go talk to Larry. Okay, honey?
    [slaps Sam on the ass]
  • Review

Dean and Sam arrive in a town checking up a report of a mysterious death, and stop at a realtor's open house barbecue. Sam meets the realtor's son Matt, who is fascinated with bugs. Soon the town is invaded by swarms of deadly bugs, and there may be no way out. This episode kept my interest in no way. I tried going into the episode with a positive mind, seeing that this was the lowest rated episode to this point of the first season - but yea... The ball was most certainly dropped here on this episode. No depth, no interesting story - that's about all you can say about it really. Just a bad bad episode from the Supernatural team.
  • A buggy episode. Pun intended.

If there was an award for most unoriginal title, this episode would win it. It's about bugs. So they named it bugs. Ah well.

Sam and Dean arrive at a new housing project, where a construction worker was killed by bugs eating his brains out, or something like that. Fishy, right? Well, this is not a single, isolated incident. Later on, more people are killed by bugs, including a chick being attacked by spiders in the shower. It would've been so much more hot if she was attacked by Spider-man, right? The reason? They're building houses on an ancient Indian graveyard. Or something like that.
    Anyways, while the first death is creepy enough, considering it's all very real, the second one here, with the spiders is just stupid. I mean, spiders crawling out of the walls is creepy, but why the chick completely froze, before throwing herself through the shower door, made out of glass, beats me. Also, the spiders are very clearly CG. Now, if you have a phobia of little bugs, you'll hate this episode. Mainly because of the huge amount of spiders, roaches and bugs in general.

Even though the episode isn't very good, it still builds a little on the characters, the Winchesters. We learn that the father never was angry at Sam for wanting to go to Stanford, but rather worried for him, considering all the dangers out in the world. It also shows that Dean understand both sides, which is something we usually don't see, behind his perverted, childish behavior. Jensen does a good job!

We also get to meet a family that resembles the WInchesters in this episode. The father doesn't understand his son's love for bugs, and Sam manages to see something of himself in the kid. Then again, the family we meet in the story fixes their problems by the end of the episode. As the "teaser" says, this is a buggy episode. The highlight of this episode is obviously, when the family is boarded up in their house, under attack by thousands of bugs. They try to keep them out, but it doesn't really work very well. They run up to the attic, where it doesn't take long before bugs eat their way through the roof. The only protection they have is an improvized flamethrower that spews out what, a few inches of fire. Obviously, the writers thought that it'd be enough to keep thousands of bugs away.
    Also, the brothers arrived at the house at approximately midnight, and the bugs are going to be attacking all throughout the night. After like, 20 minutes in the house, the sun rises, for some reason. Only good reason I can think of is that there are still some Indian spirits roaming, and they decided to timelapse 7 or 8 hours ahead.

Not a great story, but it builds even more on the characters, which is a good thing.
  • Sure there were some good points. We really get to see how Sam thinks and feels about their dad, the running gags were good, and with work it could have been a better episode. But this one ranks as my least favorite episode.

7.7
    I was kind of left feeling kind of cold from this on the first time I saw it. This is the only episode I could skip in a marathon and not really miss seeing it, that's out of all three seasons thus far.

Now sure we get to see how Sam feels about John and how he thinks John may not even want to talk to him when they find him. Dean tells him it wasn't always John that was making life hard, and such. And we see how Sam can connect on a level with the home developer's son. With how the father treated his son, much in the same way Sam though John treated him. And the running gag in the episode about people thinking the brothers were a gay couple was funny, and the stuff involving the brothers squatting in one of the empty houses, was also good, and their banter back and forth, also good.

The parts of the episode I didn't like involved the curse that was causing the bugs to attack, and the bugs themselves. The computer generated spiders that attacked Linda were horrible, very fake looking. And as many people notice, at the end the major continuity problem with the time. It goes from being midnight to sunup in like five minutes, come on. It just seemed, to me, that the writers were told to come up with an episode as fast as humanly possible, without getting the chance to fix the rough spots first.
  • It's ight.

Bugs, an interesting concept, but in the end it failed to live up to the hype. The episode never once had you on the edge like the previous episodes have; if anything, seeing the bugs in droves attack people just creeped you out, but never had you scared. Now what this episode did improve in compared to past ones is the character development areas. The parallel relationships between Sam and his father, as well as Larry and his son, was pretty interesting for the most part. The script is also one of Supernatural's weaker areas thus far, but it was particularly strong here. Still though, its strength, which is getting you on edge, wasn't exciting enough to warrant a higher score.
  • After a construction worker is killed by insects burrowing into his brain, Sam and Dean investigate the town's history.

Oasis Plains, Oklahoma- Construction Site: The camera fades in to construction men working on houses. Two men, Dustin and Travis, start talking about the houses and how expensive it will be once the houses were finished. Dustin starts to hear and feel the ground shake a little. He feels around the ground and falls in. Dustin screams that his ankle was broken so Travis goes to find a rope. Dustin still in the ground starts to hear more noises and notices that bugs are all around him. Calling for Travis again, Travis goes and brings a rope to him only to find Dustin dead in the ground.

Inside a bar: Sam is reading a paper about the mysterious death, as Dean comes to Sam with money in his hand. Dean hustled money by playing pool. Dean said he would rather take a "fun and easy" way rather than a "honest" way. Sam then brings up the article he read how Dustin died due to Mad-Cow Disease. Dean confesses that he heard it on "Oprah", which Sam is shocked to find out. Dean wonders why would it be there problem. Sam explains to Dean about Mad-Cow disease and how the symptoms don't match. Dean and Sam then drive to Oklahoma. Gas Company: Dean and Sam arrive at the gas company that Dustin and Travis worked for. They find Travis and ask about there "Uncle Dusty." Travis explains the situation to Dean and Sam. Sam then explains the symptoms to Travis about Mad-Cow disease and Travis claims that Dustin didn't have any of them. Dean and Sam asks if Travis could tell them where the death scene was. Travis shakes his head, yes.

Death Scene: Caution tape surrounds the hole that Dustin fell in. Dean and Sam by-pass the tape and then question what might have happened. Dean questions if it was a creature yet there wasn't enough room for more than one person. Dean taunts Sam to go into the hole by calling him "scared." Sam ties a rope around him and goes in.

In The Car: All Sam could find were some beetles, and no other evidence that anything else were in there. Sam and Dean decide they need background information. Dean notices an "Open House: BBQ" sign, so he figured that would be a good place to start.

At the House/BBQ: At the door Larry Parks introduces himself before they even get inside and assures them that the house was open to any "Race, Religion, Color, or Sexual Oreintation" assuming that the two men were gay Dean answers him by saying that they were brothers, and how they were looking for a house for there father.

Once inside, they talk to the Developer, Larry, about the neighborhood. Larry assures them that it was a nice, safe, clean neighborhood and then introduces his wife, Joanie. Larry leaves, as the head of sales, Linda Blume comes over and introduces herself and goes through the same rountine that Larry did. Except this time Dean plays along with a gay routine" and leaves to go talk to Larry. Now on a tour of the house Larry and Dean get talking and come across a jar with many bugs inside. Larry explains that it's his son. Meanwhile Sam and Linda are talking about a steam shower, as she is leaning on a counter that a spider was also on coming towards her way. Sam excuses himself and takes the spider and notices a teenager behind Linda. Sam confronts the teenager who turns out to be Larry's son, Matt. They have a chat about there bad relationships with there fathers. Larry then comes over and takes his son away to go yell at him. Sam and Dean watching from afar they have a discussion about there father. Dean says that he doesn't remember but Sam does because he used to always get yelled at and that Dean was the "good son." Dean tried to defend there father by saying that Sam was sometimes out-of-line. Sam defended his case by sarcastically saying that it was the wrong choice to play soccer over learning to bow hunt. Changing the subject Dean says that he found out about a year ago another man died by a severe bee sting reaction. They make the connection each death both included bugs.

At night, driving; They discuss why the bugs would do this, there were no signs of ghost activity. They bring up Larry's son because he does have bugs for pets. Dean tells Sam to pull over to the open house we were at. Dean states he wants to try the steam shower and Sam gives in. Linda's House: At Linda's house she goes into her room turns on the television. On her bed a bug falls on her so she goes into the shower. In the shower multiple spiders come out of her faucet, as she is the next victim of the bugs.

Morning, Open House: Sam tells Dean to get out of the Steam shower which he finds "awesome" and explains to Dean about the murder that happened last night.

Linda's House: Police and Paramedics surround the house. Sam and Dean find Larry there and pull over to question Larry. Larry tells Sam and Dean that Linda passed away last night, although they didn't know what it was. Once Police leave, Sam and Dean sneak into the house and go for the bathroom. They see the spiders within the bathroom and go to question Matt.

Off The School Bus/Wooded Area: They find Matt at his bus stop and notice him walking the opposite direction from his house. They follow him into a wooded area. Matt gets nervous and askes if they were serial killers in which Sam and Dean comfort him with a "no." They question him about his bugs and how Linda died due to spiders. Matt gets defensive because he knows that he didn't do the killings. Matt does confess that he knows something weird is happening with the insects and goes to show them an example.

On the walk to where Matt was taking them a discussion about family comes up. Sam assures Matt that things will all get better in two years (he is 16), college. Dean thinks that its bad advice because a kid shouldn't leave his family.

Once deeper into the woods Matt shows Sam and Dean that many insects from Earthworms to Bees have all been congregating in the same general area. Sam points out a large dirt mount where many worms have been. Dean goes digging through and finds a skull. Outside the Department of Anthropology: Dean and Sam undercovered skeletons where they found the skulls. They decided that it was a sprirt channeling through bugs. They then get into another discussion about there father. Sam felt that their father was always disappointed in him. Dean said that he wasn't disappointed, but scared. They then enter the building.

Inside the Department of Anthropology: They talked to a professor, by lying and saying they were apart of his class. The professor states that the skeletons were about the time of the native americans. Sam questions and askes if there were any tribes within the fecinity. The professor says something about an Occhi tribe about 60 miles from where they were.

Around the first murder scene: A man of indian decent is playing a game of solitaire as Sam and Dean go inside to talk to him. The man could tell Dean was a liar and Sam wasn't. The man answered any questions Sam had. The man confessed in knowing about the area of the construction site. They tell him about the Native American bones they found, so the man tells them a story that has been passed down generations. He tells them a story of a tribe about how nature would protect that valley on the sixth night. The nature he was talking about was the bugs.

They then figure out that it was the sixth night so that had to get Matt and his family out of there.

Matt's House: Matt is outside looking at bugs when he comes accross multiple bugs coming out from the ground.

Driving/On the phone with Larry and Matt: Dean tries to impersonate Travis to get Larry out of the house to no avail. Sam then calls Matt and tells Matt about the situation and how he has to get his family out of there. Dean takes the phone and tells him to lie in order to get them out of there.

Matt's House: Matt was unable to get his family out of the house because he told the truth and his father didn't believe him. After arguing, they see the whole swarm of bugs coming. They try to go fast enough to get to the car, so they all run into the house.

Attempting to call for help all phone lines are dead and the power went dead. They seal off all openings to the house. Dean then goes to find something to fend off the bugs. He gets flamable bug spray. They then realize they didn't seal off the fireplace and the bugs fly in. They go up to the attic and termites start eat through the wood allowing more bugs to get in. Everyone manages to survive long enough as the sun comes up and all the bugs disperce. The Next Day: Larry moves out of the house and production for the other houses end due to the bones Sam and Dean found. Larry isn't too sad because he realizes what he didn't lose, as in his family.Sam confronts Matt one final time, as Matt throws away his bug collection.

Sam and Dean re-assure themselves on how they will find their father. Once they do find him, Sam wants to apologize to him for all the things he said to him. They leave for their next adventure.
  • I really like watching Supernatural but this episode was definatley not one of my favorites.

The episode started off ok but as it got closer to the end it left more and more to be desired. Everything in the storyline just seemed to fall into place a little to easily. At the end they show up at the realtor's home and they say that it is 12:00 am, then these huge swarms of bugs show up and everyone is locked in the house. Dean gets a can of bug srpay that seems to magically light itself on fire at will (I don't know about anyone else but I never once saw a lighter). Then the bugs get into the house with them and *poof* it's sunrise, quickest few hours i've ever seen, not to mention that nobody had even one bee sting?.....I found it a little hard to believe.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of supernatural sam and dean hear about a mystrious death about a realitor and they go and investigate and they find out that a son of a family that is moving in there like bugs alot and says the bugs are acting weird and really unormal. so sam and do investigate and find out that the homes are built on a indian burel ground that is causing the bugs to act like that and they the bugs come and surroudn the house and they want to leave and they have to wait it out in the house till morning and the family is happy that dean sam helped them out in this one. it was a good ep
  • Dean and Sam investigate strange incedents involving bugs in a newly developed neighborhood, only to find out the area is cursed.

While not the best episode, Bugs was still highly entertaining and adventurous. While there was no visible demon or evil creaure to kill, the bugs were creepy enough to make up for it. Similarily, while the wonderful humor may not have been quite so present in this particular episode, it was still there, and still creative, memorable, and as hilarious as always. I really liked in this episode that the brothers were able to stay in a proper house for a change (even if they weren't supposed to be there) instead of yet another motel room. I think they deserve such small comforts once in a while, especially with the life they lead. Such as the steam showers, as funny as that scene was, it was nice to see Dean relaxed and happy and enjoying something simple and normal like that. I found it odd, though, the slight descrepancy in the time frame. At the point where the house is being swarmed with bugs, the time from midnight until sunrise lasts an unbeleivable small amount of time! Obviously they can't show the whole time on the show, but there is no point to indicate a longer space of time has gone by than what is shown. A small point, but it bother me every time.
    However, this is still a great episode, not one of the best, but brilliant nonetheless.
  • Can you imagine coming onto set and seeing your whole crew in full bee suits. That's fine, untill they tell you to jump into a room FULL of stinging bees... without your bee suit.

Bugs was interesting. We were given a few more details about Sam's relationship with John. We saw him connect with Matt who didn't exactly share the best relationship with his dad. I loved how Dean stood up for John. Just like a good little soldiar. How adorable is Dean?

I liked how they described the legend. It was a curse, and you cannot fix or stop a curse, you can only get out of its way. And that's exactly what they did. They made sure that no one would disturb the burial grounds again at the same time a=making sure no one else would die. I really liked the tribe member at the restaurant. He made sure Dean knew that he felt disrespected by him lying. I loved Dean's reaction though. Then Sam's full honesty regaining his trust. It takes Sam to tell the truth.

I couldn't stop laughign when i realized the abducted car with a bloody car seat and blood stained seats, the liscense plate was WTF then some numbers. :D
  • well yous all said it sucked so i thought it would really suck but it was actually ok

i really liked that we got to find out more about the sam - dean - dad relationship. the special effects were pretty kool except the shower scene they looked a bit.....transparent and fuzzy.

well being in australia and being episodes behind everyone else i like reading oter reviews to see whether the next episode of some show is worth watching or cant make it but i gotta say....i neva thought they could find the hottest guys on the planet and put them on one show but they have proven me wrong.

ok episode overall but still, sam and dean so HOT!!!
  • get out of the da*n house!

This show is awesome, so happy to finally 'discover it'! Its the only show I can watch with my husband and both actually enjoy. By the time the boys were hiding in the house though I was thinking eddy murphy would be laughing his ass off delirious style - he'd be saying 'whats with these people? Theres blood in the toilet? 'thats peculiar - just LEAVE! The bugs want the house?? Give em the damn house! Get in that car and drive the hell for england! lol That said, its so entertaining its just all round brilliant :))
  • A planned community in Oklahoma is attacked by creepy crawlies because of a Native American curse.

Ahaha, this is the episode everyone makes fun of, and the source of the infamous Bee Story. Awesome. True, this episode requires extreme suspension of disbelief and it's probably wise not to get too focused on the plot, but if you look past that this episode has some shining moments that guarantee its place as a Supernatural classic. I give you: Dean in the steam shower, Sam bristling over being called a chicken, free BBQ, Sam and Dean being mistaken for a gay couple, Dean slapping Sam on the butt and calling him 'honey', Sam thumping Dean through the car window, Dean watches Oprah and, on a less hilarious note, some deeper insight into the boys' very different memories of growing up with John Winchester for a father. Sam didn't know that his dad was proud of him and scared for him, and seeing that realisation on his face is one of the best moments in the episode. Like I said - this episode ain't all bad.
  • Bugs in a bad mood and father-son communication problems.

This review contains spoilers.

The brothers investigate a couple of suspicious deaths linked to a construction company. It turns out that its insects killing people. At first they think the owner’s son is behind it but after some research the brothers realize the area is cursed because of the way the natives were treated in the past. And let’s face it; nothing is scarier than a curse (or almost nothing). One thing that wasn’t scary was the scene with the spiders coming out of the shower-head. It was almost funny, it just looked so unreal. Jared and Jensen were in a room full of live bees. Wouldn’t want to experience that myself. One bug is not that scary but put a couple of hundred of them in a room and I think anyone would be scared, or at least a little bit freaked out. I mean beestings hurt. The curse-storyline is one of two told in this episode. The other one focuses on Sam and the owner’s son and how they feel misunderstood by their fathers. We get a deeper look into Sam and dean’s childhood and realize that Sam and john have had problems for a long time. Sam always felt wrongly treated because he wanted to have a normal life and not be a part of the hunter life-stile. In fact they haven’t spoken to each other in several years.
    Sam: "Well dad never treated you like that, you were perfect. Has was all over my case. You don't remember?"
    Dean: "Well, maybe he had to raise his voice, but sometimes you were out of line."
    Sam: "Right! Right, like when I said I'd rather play soccer than learn bow hunting."
    Dean: "Bow hunting's an important skill!"
    I think this scene is a classic. The scene where Dean tells Sam that their father checked up on him at Stanford without him knowing it was great. The look on Sam’s face. At that moment it hits him that John was only trying to protect him and that he didn’t even try to understand his father.
    One of my favorite scenes in the entire first season is in this episode. Sam and Dean talk to construction company employees at the BBQ and are several times taken for a couple. Priceless!
    Larry: "Let me just say: We accept home owners of any race, religion, color or...sexual orientation."
    Dean: "We're brothers."
    ...some time later...
    Real Estate Agent: "We accept home owners of all races, religions, colors or sexual orientation."
    Dean: "Right! Uh, I'm going to talk to Larry. Okay, honey?"
    And the fact that he smacks Sam on the butt! Doesn’t matter that I’ve seen it many times before it always makes me laugh out laud.
    Not a great episode but some scenes lift the entire story and make it worth watching!
  • eww bugs that is so gross. for once it wasn't a spirit they didn't evn kill. but it was still a cool eppy.

Dean and sam and everyone else in that attic definitely got stung. poor them. and omg it was so gross when the boy had the tarantuala and Sam picked it up and then there was the spiders on the underside of the town in that womans house. it was weird how the cops hadn't found that yet and traditionally they would not put tape on the floor for it could ruin evidence but they did for the show but oh well. and then there was the roaches. now that was desguisting and im glad the boy learned his lesson and got away from bugs cause no one with any sense likes them . (Sry peeps who do but they are just disturbing). lol but it is cool how we got to see a curse with the lines, "how do we stop a curse"..."We dont we get out of its way" thats very cool. luved this eppy with all its grossness lol
  • Esta vez lo sobrenatural no vino acompañado de lo habitual pero este capítulo es un ejemplo de la amplia gama de historias que esta serie puede cubrir. Además, saber que los actores en verdad tuvieron que enfrentarse a esos insectos fue really cool!

Ok, en resumen, los chicos van a investigar la muerte de un trabajador de construcción y terminan descubriendo que los insectos de la zona están causando muertes.
    Descubren los huesos de un nativo norteamericano y eso los lleva a una tribu donde les cuentan una vieja leyenda. Hace 200 años una tribu fue masacrada en ese lugar (la matanza duró 6 días) y al último día se juró que ningún hombre blanco volvería a ese valle o la naturaleza se vengaría y protegería el lugar. Al terminar el sexto día nadie sobreviviría.
    Ahora los hermanos tienen que advertir a los habitantes y evitar una masacre.
    Muy buen capítulo, véanlo.
  • i liked this episode, due to sam finding out that even though he when to college and his dad did not want him to go he still checked you on him.

this episode shows the relationship different between dean and his dad compared to sam and their dad, when they were growing up dean did as he was told a propper dadies boy were as sam wanted to be normally eg play soccer instead of going bow hunting.

sam finds out that his dad kept checking up on him making sure that he was ok, that nothing had happened to him. this makes him feeling guilty about not phoning his dad and sorting things out this makes him wanna find his dad even more.

dean relises that sam wants to be normal more than he though when they go down memory lane about how their father treated them. sam seemed to have it harder due to wanting to have a normal life and his father not allowing it. dean got treat better as he accepted his dads work and understood that this is what they should do.

• I used to have a bug phobia, this episode didn't exactly cure that

Wow, I didn’t expect this episode to be THAT good. I’ve always been very frightened of bugs for some reason, and this one didn’t really took my fear away. Every minute I was going all ‘ew, ew, ew, ew, ew’ but I’ve also always been interested in bug episodes. Those always leave something behind, they impress me. But this was unexpected, the episode was very wel written without a chick-of-the-week character (finally) and pretty original (something new for the show)

It all begins with two guys who are making houses on new ground but suddenly one of the two falls in a hole filled with insects, when the other finally grabs some rope to take him out, he finds his buddy dead.

Dean and Sam go to some party where people are going to buy new houses on that ground, and everyone thought that Dean and Sam were lovers. Ahahah! That made me laugh out loud, so wrong it’s almost hot.

They soon meet the first main-guy role. A kid called Matthew who is very fond of bugs and he becomes a suspect immediately. He also tries to scare this woman that later on the episode gets killed in her shower by hundreds of spiders.

Dean, Sam and Matthew later go in the woods and they find a huge place filled with worms, Dean grabs something that is buried in that place and it turns out to be a skull.

Also something I really liked about the episode was Sam’s story and that his father always treated him like a freak because he always wanted to do normal stuff. Sam thought that his father was disappointed in him but Dean says that there is no such thing. This was a great add to the father storyline and the first reason so far that made me want to meet their dad.

Anyway, Dean and Sam think that the skull they found was from a native American and they go to a village close to there and they find an old man who doesn’t like Dean’s lying, but he likes Sam because he’s honest. He tells that on the land where those new houses are coming, that years ago when the native Americans lived there that they were murdered in six days by white folks. So now the land is cursed and in six days the nature would kill all the whites.

Dean and Sam call Matthew to get his family out of there but the father doesn’t believe them. Soon they figure out it’s too late so they hide in the house but the insects come inside and almost kills them until the light comes back and all the insects leave (I wasn’t happy with this conclusion because it wasn’t really an explanation why they survived) but oh well. The dad of the kid was now proud of him and Sam wants to find his dad now more than ever.

I never expected this episode to be so good, the only minus was the conclusion of the episode.
    I’ve always had a bug phobia and this didn’t cure me!
  • Big let down.

Growing tired of the aimlessness of Invasion I thought I'd give this show another try with this episode and what a damn waste of an hour of my life.

The set up was fine but the ending? Are they serious?

They get to the house, it's pitch black, they scuffle with the bugs for a few minutes and then it's daylight? Excuse me, did I miss six hours somewhere?

No explaination - just a shot of the clear blue sky and that's all.

Guess what - that's all this show will get out of me if this is the kind of crap they plan to pull.

Ripping off Kolchak and the X-Files is fine but at least have a story that doesn't bail at the last minute because the writers could not think of a way out for the heroes.
  • I hate bugs. Seriously.

6.9
    If there’s one thing that never fails to leave me with that creeped-out feeling, it’s swarming bugs. I seldom have nightmares (scary things rarely scare me), but I’ll admit, swarming bugs would qualify. It’s that sense that there’s nothing you can do but pray for survival, because there’s no way to fight back. So this was an episode that I wasn’t particularly looking forward to, if you know what I mean.

This was more about character than the bug invasion itself, which is the preference, from my point of view. The bugs were actually incidental to the main thrust of the episode, which might explain why the resolution of the bug invasion was somewhat lacking. That had to be the fastest midnight-to-dawn transition ever seen. Also, I find it hard to imagine that the spiritual bug swarm, which had previously run amok during daylight hours, would simply disappear with sunlight. Killing humans on the land seemed more to the point of the actual curse, despite the time limit.

Anyway, that didn’t bother me so much, because I was too busy enjoying the tension between Sam and Dean. Previous episodes focused on Dean’s bitterness with Sam and the idea that Sam left the family behind. Sam has never hidden his feelings about their father and his very different personal philosophy, but now the writers have shown us how that colors his impressions of family in general.

Dean does a great job of clamping down on his resentments, even if he uses that negative energy in less than perfect pursuits. Dean runs deep, however, as his handling of Sam’s emotional state demonstrates. If Sam’s point of view has been covered rather well, we’ve seldom gotten to hear their father’s side of the equation. Either Dean has a twisted perspective on how things went down before Sam left home, or Sam is a bit too good at holding on to bitterness and anger.

I’d vote for something in between, since Dean tends to romanticize the whole “hunting” to compensate for the lack of much else in his life. Sure, Dean believes in what he’s doing, but one gets the sense that much of his life is distraction. Distraction, in this case, from the fact that he didn’t have what Sam had: the potential for something more. Dean had to focus on his family, so when Sam didn’t, it was a betrayal.

This episode did stray from the typical format in the sense that the primary guest character was not a nubile young woman with an eye for one of the brothers. Sure, there was the realtor, but she was a minor aspect of the overall episode, almost like a token attempt to stick with the style of the series. While the series could do with occasional episodes like this without the eye candy, I personally think that it’s part of the style and concept, and it does much to establish and reinforce Dean’s escapist psychology.
  • A Bug's Life

Given the content of this episode, I was more than ready to state how much the storyline bugged me (I simply couldn't pass it up), but I really liked this one. It's not must-watch TV or anything, but it's a brief preview of the kind of formula Supernatural perfects in later seasons – a mix of stand-alone fare with the overall arc streaming through it. Sam empathizing with Matt's father issues gave the overall storyline a bit more gravity, although some of the Dean/Sam dialogue felt rather hammy. The budget clearly couldn't afford the effects the show needed to make the bug attack in anyway threatening (we see thousands of unrealistic bugs one minute and then only a few real ones the next); having said that, when the show uses real spiders and roaches – yeeesh!! The late Kim Manners did a wonderful job with the material given; adding depth to a story that could have crumbled in the hands of a less capable director, some of his shots looked amazing. I also got a giggle out of the realtors assuming Dean and Sam were a gay couple, with Dean calling Sam 'Honey' and patting him on the bum. A solid episode.
< 1 2 3