Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• This was the worst episode of the series so far in my opinion.

I really like this show, but there is one thing that keeps bothering me and it is the extremely good luck that the brothers always have. They always are in the middle of some supernatural (duh) thing with almost no clue about what to do and manage to get off in one piece.

This episode made me feel like the writers are playing with me. They enter in the house exactly at midnight, knowing that the indian curse is "no white man will live"... and suddenly, 10 minutes later is sunrise??? What the hell happened there? The brother didn't do anything, they just entered a house in panick and survived with no reason.

I think that they've could have done it better. The great things that the show has were there as always, the relation between the brothers for example. The bugs were a nice touch, but the ending is really dissapointing.

Also, there was no moving down the storyline, they are nowhere near to finding their dad and nothing happens in that sense. It feels like a filler episode, a bad one, but i still think that the show is great and has potential for even a lot more towards the end of the season.
  • Fathers and sons...and a town full of bugs.

I gotta admit that I was somewhat reluctant to watch this episode with high expectations. I mean, small town...big bug problem...heroes save the day, etc. etc. etc. But as usual with "Supernatural", I was completely blown away. This episode could have been so cliche, but in fact the bug story was, in my own opinion, kinda secondary to what the episode was really about. Quite simply, last night's episode was about fathers and sons and their relationships (or lack thereof).

Finally! We get some great back story of Sam's relationship with his and Dean's father. Yes, Sam was forced to face some demons (metaphorically, this time at least). Evidently, Sam and John (the Winchesters' dad) have had their fair share of differences which, if I heard correctly, one point of which resulted in Sam being kicked out of the house. But after Dean explained that, despite everything John and Sam had done and said to each other, when Sam went off to college that John would stop by and check up on him. Now THAT'S a father's love. It's hardly the most heartfelt thing in the world, but given everything this family has been through I feel compelled to emphasize that. It seems that John wants his sons to be safe HIS way after the horror of their mother's death and the bizarreness surrounding it, which is clearly why he raised his sons to be like warrior ghostbusters (or Slayers, for lack of a more humorous reference). Therefore he feels it more appropriate to keep his sons safe by turning them into monster killers. But it's also understandable that Sam just wants a normal safe life. However, as much as he's tried to do this, it just ain't meant to be. His girlfriend died the same horrible death their mother did and now Sam sees he really has no choice but to join the 'family business' of spook hunting. Side note: I still think the mystery of all this is related to Sam, but more on that as the story unfolds. Anyway, both Sam and John are right in their arguements, but they disagree with each other, even though Sam ultimately had to give in to the whole thing.

Obviously we were meant to see a parallel between Larry and his son Matt to John and Sam (and even Dean in that respect). That's pretty much what started the whole 'worm can opening' from Dean about Sam and John, and it also explains why Sam was so easy to befriend Matt. I was so glad to see Larry genuinely show how he was wrong and admitted how much he cares for his family at the end. He could've come off as the typical hard-headed, stubborn, domineering father, which he started off as portraying, so it was nice to see him soften in the end. Kinda reminds me of 'Hook Man', where the suspected dad was in fact a victim instead of instigator. Yet another reason why I'm loving this show, I am really liking all these one-time secondary characters. I so hope we get to see them again in the future.

Now, about Dean. It's interesting that Dean kept emphasizing the word 'family' to Sam. And the way he said it. I kept getting mixed emotions during all of Dean's scolding to Sam over their father. Part of me felt that Dean just wanted to berate Sam for leaving and abandoning the family just out of spite and possible jealousy, and the other part of me felt that he did in fact do it to simply show Sam how much he cares about his brother and his well being. Like I said in my review for 'Bloody Mary', I think there's more to Dean than he's letting on at this point, but again more as the story continues... It is also interesting that Sam told Dean that John said that Dean was the 'perfect one'. This could just be simply that Dean had seemed (I guess) more enthused about monster hunting with his dad than Sam was, and therefore John thought of Dean that way. Clearly, in John's eyes, Sam wanting a normal life is not perfect. I have one problem, however, with Sam wanting to apologize to John when they find him. He shouldn't be the only one. John should apologize too. And not just to Sam, but also to Dean. Don't misunderstand, as justified as John is to find the thing that killed his wife, he really shouldn't have gotten his children involved, especially against their will. He obviously took that choice away from them, although Sam took a rebellious turn from it. Which leads me to wonder what kind of choices Dean would make if he were not in the bizz. He's the family wild man, so go figure. But then again, Dean had said that he would choose their family instead of a normal one any day. So he must've chosen to go along with John on his own to some degree. But that statement Dean made about choosing anything over normal makes sense in so many ways if one really thinks about it. But I'll leave that open for debate another time.

Before I finish I have to say at least something about the bug story. Wow! I had never heard anything supernatural about bugs (short of just the usual sci fi stuff anyway) but this story actually had me interested. A Native American curse with references to biblical plagues and such. Fresh, yet...not. But still very cool. The climax left a tad to be desired, although it was a neat idea to not have the bugs completely destroyed (again would've been cliche) but I thought it was a little too strange that they were attacked at MIDNIGHT and a couple of minutes later it's dawn. Well, it WAS cut during a commercial break, so maybe they waited out a whole night during that time. Silly, I know, but because I love this show so much I'll let it slide.

Bits and pieces:
    Loved the 2 scenes where Sam and Dean were thought to be gay by Larry and the lady realtor. And after the 2nd time Dean calling Sam 'honey'. Just hilarious and, crazy as this may sound, just a little bit sexy. (Must be my pregnancy hormones talking.)
    The deaths of Dustin and the realtor were pretty classic gruesome horror. Loved them.
    As always the special effects kicked serious bootay.
    Loved Dean's 'encounter' with the old Native American man calling him a liar.
    Dean telling Matt "I thought we had a plan" in front of Larry.
    And, of course, Sam's friendship with Matt.

Giving this episode a 9.7. Great, but lacking in just a few minor areas. The WB promo for next week's episode states that it will be an unforgettable event. The Winchester boys return to the ol' homestead where it all started. And boy, does it look like it WILL be unforgettable. Hope we get tons of more back story material. Until then....
  • Huge Supernatural fan think this is my least favorite episode. (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

6.8
    So far in Supernaturals rather young career this is my least favorit episode. The episode follows Sam and Dean as they try to discover the source of deaths in a start up community. The source is a curse which is apparently, as talented as the Winchester boys are, something that they cannot banish for good. The indian curse is revenge carried out by nature in the form of bugs (hence the title) I feel that this episode never really got going until the end when a giant swarm came to kill the remaining people in the town. It seemed like Sam and Dean defended them (with flamethrowers made of a lighter and aersol can) for a very short time and were bailed out by an early sunrise which ended the curse for that year. Maybe the other episodes in this series have built me up so much but I didn't much care for this episode.
  • Crazy indian curse makes bugs go all psycho and kill people on some forbidden burial land. A typical, unoriginal plot and weird execution made this episode pretty lame. At least we got to see some Sam-Dad relationship development...well sort of.

Was this episode supposed to be funny? Because I thought it was pretty funny when Sam and Dean tried to fight off those bugs. They were pretty useless in their efforts to do so. They sort of just stood around then ran away and sprayed some bug junk which hit like .1% of the bugs. The bugs weren't realy scary, they were just sort of gross. And the cursed burial grounds plot - definitely used by a million other TV shows already. I did like Sam's relationship with that kid and how it related to his relationship with his Dad. The plot was executed alright, I think the idea itself was the lame part.

• This ep was painful to watch

5.3
    I love Supernatural. LOVE it. But this episode was just painful. I just couldn\'t focus on it at all, it took me three or four tries to actually sit and watch the whole thing, and even then it felt like a waste of time. The plot was very thin, the story moved really slowly, and it was just...uninteresting. I did, however, enjoy the Native American element of the episode. Too bad the writers didn\'t use it to its full potential. All in all, not a memorable episode for the series, I\'m sure I could have skipped this episode and waited for the next one without missing a thing.
  • I LOVE THIS SERIES

I love this series but, this was the worse episode I hever saw...

Not to the fact that I don't like bugs. But to the fact that every single special efect in this episode was horrible. The plot wasn't bad but in other episodes the filming was good the special effects were good... this one the spiders that was just black spots, the bees that dind't sting any off them...

really really really really the worst episode I've ever seen in this great show.

but that's just my opinion. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • A contracter starts developing houses on cursed ground.

This one was not very good. The thing that bothered me was at the end, inspite of the bugs swarming in the house, none of them got killed or bitten. Odd.

Another thing that bothers me is why do they tack on the little thing about them looking for their father? This part is very neglected and needs more than a 2 minute conversation.
  • Watch out for the creepy Bugs.

A very different and original Supernatural's episode. I think this is one of those episodes that just has it all. It's funny cause a lot of other fans weren't so big of this episode, but I am. I loved the whole legend thing. I loved the interaction between the brothers in this episode, it's so great to see how different they each experienced their own childhood and the way their father raised them. This episode isn't named Bugs for no reason, cause there were a lot of bugs in this one, like a lot! And the scene at the end of the episode with all the bugs had me just freaking out. A great episode with a great story!
  • I hate to say it but this is the worst episode so far.

I usually hate critising a series I love as much as Supernatural, but this one was not good.

The only saving grace was the scenes between Sam and Dean about their father where Sam finds out their dad used to check in on him. Those were some good scenes.

There's the inexplicable ending where we go from midnight to dawn in five minutes, not to mention how they could have survived that long given how quick the bugs killed the other people.

Another thing that bugged me, no pun intended, was that scene with the spiders. The spider walked across that woman's eye!! I would have been in hysterics, screaming my head off. She just brushes at it?! That just didn't gel.

Jared and Jensen did well with what they had to work with but really, this was disappointing, especially given the standards of the rest of the episodes.
  • EWWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!

EWWWWWWWWW this episode wuz so gross

even though i hate many bugs at one time i still watched the episode even though through the house pppl heard screams of" ewwwwwww" and me pretendig to get sick cuz the first death that we saw wuz so gross it wuz so creepy but it really defined the relationship between sam and his father.
  • I hate bugs!

7.9
    Bugs really freak me out so I had problems watching it. Really material for throwing up! Sam and dean go and research strange deaths of people in The town of Oasis Plains. Bugs ate them. They meet a boy, Matt, who's very interested in bugs. He takes them to woods and Dean finds a skull in the middle of a pool of worms. They visit native Americans. An indian tells them the story that his fathers told him. Six days white people were killing indians and on the sixth night everyone was dead. The same happens now. Deadn and Sam must prevent what could happen.

We also find out what was the reason Sam left home and went to university.
  • Blahh wasnt that great:(

7.9
    Personally I loved "Supernatural" ever since the pilot, but it's still very encouraging and stimulating to see how the show gets better with each and every episode! By the time of this eighth episode, the two young brothers evolved into convincing & heroic crime battlers, the suspense increases every week, the scripts refer more and more to older horror classics and the stories provide new and creative types of supernatural menace every time! I feel like labeling every new episode I see as the best one thus far, but the truth is all episodes pretty much are of equally high quality. "Bugs" is definitely a personal favorite, as it combines the tension of supernatural horror with the old-fashioned fun of nature-revolting creature features. When two lethal accidents are caused by seemly harmless insects on a location where estate agents are building a new housing complex, it simply looks like a bizarre coincidence at first. Sam and Dean are nevertheless investigating the case, because the state of the victims' bodies indicate that the little critters weren't behaving normally when they attacked. After a third casualty died from spider bites, the brothers – together with a bug-obsessed teenager – discover that the insects are revolting against humanity because of an ancient Indian curse. This installment in Eric Kripke's fabulous show features some of the best special effects ever shown on TV. Especially the humongous swarms of bees and cockroaches are staggering. The revelation of the Indian curse is fascinating and another brilliant detail is how every episode enlightens us a little more about Sam & Dean's backgrounds. For the avid & experienced horror fans among us, there's a lovely mentioning of the classic 70's rat-shocker "Willard".
  • By far this was the worst episode of the season.

We do learn more about Sam's relationship with their father. We also learn a little more about how they get money to keep on driving. The plot of this week was kinda week though at least I should say the conclusion of it. They wrapped it up way too quickly for what they said needed to happen. This week's episdoe does set up next week a little bit once I saw the preview. Next week's episode though looks great I hope that things are just darkest before the dawn.
  • Killer bugs...not the best plotline

Every show has to have an episode that tanked, and this was Supernatural's, in my opinion. Witty banter aside (which is always great), "Bugs" didn't have a lot going for it.

People are dying mysteriously from bugs - beetles, spiders, etc. So far, the medical examiner has gone with human mad cow disease, but Sam and Dean aren't buying it.

Turns out, a housing development is being built on sacred Native American land. There is a curse that should any white man live there, a horrible death will befall him. Oops, hate it when that happens!

There's also a major fault in the timeline for the conclusion. Somehow we make it from evening to daybreak in five minutes during the big conclusion...that was the deal breaker for me.

So if you missed this one, don't worry - you didn't, not really.
  • This episode was fantastic up until the ending, which kind of killed the story for me.

5.5
    "Supernatural" has very few episodes I would consider unenjoyable, and this one is no exception. The storyline follows strange deaths (as do most of their episodes in season one) that are related to, as per the title, bugs. While exploring the mystery of the strange deaths in a newly built subdivision, Dean and Sam are twice mistaken for a couple, which provides humorous moments. The familial tension between Dean and Sam is apparent in this episode as they meet a 16-year-old boy who doesn't get along with his father. Sam advises the boy that he can leave home in 2 years, and this angers Dean who is still upset that Sam left home for college.

As usual the tension between the brothers is apparent but not over done, which adds to the story nicely and while developing the characters of Dean and Sam a little bit more.

I scored this episode fairly low for a couple of reasons. The first is a small complaint that I almost never have with Supernatural, and that is the special effects were pretty cheesy. The spiders in the shower are blatantly CGI, and the spiders that fall from the towel are obviously rubber spiders. I can easily over look these problems. However, the most glaring problem I noted was towards the end of the episode when Sam and Dean are at the house to rescue the family. They say it is midnight when they arrive, so they obviously have several hours (around 6 or so) before dawn. Then they are chased throughout the house by the bees and Wham/Ta Da! it is dawn. I even watched this episode a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing some allusion of time passing, and I am sad to say that I didn't miss it because it wasn't there. Not cool, and a problem that could have been easily fixed a million different ways. It was a cop out ending that left me disappointed.

Other than the last few minutes, it was a great episode, but shoddy writing for the ending really mars the overall quality of the ep.
  • 10 minutes = 5 Hours

Well it was how can i say this...? Well since we have the scene in which 10 minutes become 5 hours and i am left wondering what happened that much sums up the whole episode. Oh and the story kind of sucked and it was full of goofs... I think the show is deteriorating
  • Bugs was a cute eposide i mean sam was soo hott in the eposide! and matt was kinda cute 2. but it was about the killer bugs who aatack them but as usual sam and dean kicked their asses.

ok, Bugs was a great eposide I think in my opinion. it also has nothing 2 do wit the fact6 that im in luv wit the co-star Jared Padalecki who playes the part of sam in the show hes soo hott it was a great eposide i luved it! i dont really care what other ppl think. but.. the story lin3 on how the indians had bugs and stuff was a bit of a let down BUT I LUVED IT!!!
  • Sam and dean find out about a native american curse that is put on a land and are infested by bugs.

Well first off the 2 brothers are so different and reconcile about their father after they see how the realtor treats his son. Sam feels what the 13year old feel because of his experiences with his father and how they didn't really get along. His father wanted him to learn hunting skills for solving a supernatural mystery and he wanted to join a soccer team and have a normal life. Dean tells him that their dad is proud of him just if he would have called he could have told him that he was proud of him and that he should follow whatever he pleases to do in life.
    The memorable scene of the realtor thinking both brothers were gay was funny as when dean slapped sam in the butt just to get a kickout of it. Another memorable scene was when the brothers sneak into the house and dean tries the sauna and comes out of the bathroom with a towel on his head looking like an idot but funny. I can't wait till next week when sam and dean go back home and dean seems like of akward going into thed house where their mom died because it brings back bad memories for the guys well more for dean because he saw what happened to his mom and was young when he witnessed that event and sam was just a baby and didn't remember anything just that his mom died.
  • bugs is lot better than I was expecting, because there was a big buzz that it will be a filler episode. I think not!!!!!!

Bugs episode was more focused on about the relationship between Father and sons. Bugs has a kind message that no matter how much we may differ with our parents. In the end, they want best for us.

Sam and Dean as brothers are doing phenomenal job, the way these two worked together make them very beleivable as brother. This is the beauty of this Show, sometimes script may be less creepy or scary but Sam and Dean 's relation make show very interesting to watch.

Bugs and Wendigo are quite similar to each other in the sense they reveal true emotions of the characters.
  • Not exactly a Supernatural happening. but whatever... it was still great!

My all time favourite moment in this episode would have to be when Linda Bloome says: "We accept anyone of any race, religion, colour or... Sexual orientation." Then Dean walks off and says: "I'm just gonna go talk to Larry. Okay honey?" and then slaps Sam on the butt. Cracks me up every time! But then we also can't forget the time when Dean is in the steam shower and he has the towel on his head and says: "This shower's awesome." That is like a classic line. Anyway! The other reasons I like this episode is because of the 'bug' factor. Bugs are fascinating, and it is great to see Sam and Dean working with them. One other thing is the part where they are all in the attic with like 60,000 bees, and they are trying to fight them off. This part is great, and the bees were 100% real! No visual effects or anything! If you ask me, Jared and Jensen did this bit rather well considering the circumstances!
  • Curse that may not be ever stopped!

The boys are brought to town in a small town
    Kind of setting and they eat at a bbq and find
    Out that an Indian curse has prey upon the town
    As people are getting killed and that they are trying to
    Run away from the town. But there may not be no Way to get out of the town! Due to a Indian curse!
  • Bugs Gone Wild

I think that deep within the human DNA is an inherant dislike for bugs. It's possible that Westerners are more afflicted with the aversion than those in the rst of te world but since I'm a Westerner, this episode creeped me out. Instead of monsters, the baddie is a righteous Indian curse. Ewwww best describes the episode.
  • its a exciting episode that gives more info on the history between sam and dean

its a exciting episode that gives more info on the history between sam and dean.well written it was good because of how the plot acutally made sum sense and was a bit nerve racking. it was needed to find out more about the family history and this episode did it for you.
  • How the hell did Dean use bugspray as a flamethrower!!!???

Oh a fine episode. Through half the episode, the real estate dude though Dean and Sam were a gay couple, a lady got killed my spiders, Dean wore a towel on his head like a merry lady, and there was a flamethrower!!!

A very fine episode indeed...

That kid sure looked like a teen Sam though... hair n all..

"Damn that shower's good!"
  • This episode was not as bad as i thought it was but it could have been better...I hate probably every bug i see especialy cockroaches they scare the crap out of me (with wings or without) lol

'Bugs' could have been better but there was some good parts in the episode. I found the part were dean and sam go to that 'People buying a house BBQ' and when told the same thing by the guy who answered the door "We accept people of all races, color, and sexual orientation.", the same quote is said to sam and dean by the real estate agent

Real Estate Agent: We accept people of all races, color, and sexual orientation.
    Dean: Hmm, right. Ah, I'm going to go talk to Larry. Okay, Honey? (smacks Sam on the butt).
    I found that part really funny :). But there were other parts in the episode that were funny and occasionally scary :)...Im hoping that the next few episodes are going to be just as good as the others:)

• First episode I've ever seen; the bugs creeped me out a LOT, especially the spiders, but I still enjoyed it.

I've never watched Supernatural before. I got to watch it because my friend loaned me her tape with Gilmore Girls on it, and she had Supernatural after it. I'd always wanted to see it so I watched it, and I'm very glad I did, bugs aside.

The first scene with the guy falling in a sinkhole and getting devoured by beatles was gross. I hate bugs a whole lot, so I basically had my eyes covered. And the issue with the tarantula and the spiders... also eye-covering moments. *shudder* Even so, it was a good episode.

I was a bit unclear about what was going on with their dad other than him being missing, and that Sam's relationship with him was troubled. But I liked how Sam concluded he wanted to find their dad and apologize. And everything Dean had to say about their relationship... good stuff. I like it a lot. And Dean in that shower... LOL. He and his brother are very different.

Unfortunately for me, I'm used to Jared Padalecki as a Dean, not a Sam. (Dean from Gilmore Girls of course.) Must adjust because I want to watch more of this.
  • "I've heard of killer bees but killer beetles?"

The previews for this episode made it seem like the episode wouldn't be as good as the previous ones and it wasn't but it was better than I thought it would be.

All the real estate people assuming Dean and Sam were homosexuals was pretty funny and the killer bugs and curse was pretty cool for a plot though did lack in some places.

The ending was a slap in the face because it became bright so quickly that it didn't seem believable but I guess the writers couldn't make everyone die and as stated in the episode, you can't kill a curse.

Overall, the episode isn't as good as the seven before it but is worth watching.
  • Pretty gruesome.

This is the episode when I found out Supernatural was going to last for a long time. Supernatural is so genius. They take people's worst fear & make it it in to an episode. And sometimes people aren't afraid. And Supernatural makes you afraid. Bug are one of the thing I am personally afraid of now. Especially the tarantula sequence. The swarm of bees all sacred the crap out of me while watching this episode. Termites too. The scene when the guy falls in to the hole & bugs eat him alive. It could happen too. A very good episode full of fright.
  • If you hate bugs, don't worry this one isn't that creepy! Believe me, I hate bugs and I liked it!

I liked this episode and I hate bugs! It had a lot of great jokes but the whole curse thing to me wasn't that impressive and they barely even talked about it. It seemed a little rushed. But the graphics were great and the whole thing about Sam and Dean being gay was hilarious! I thought the acting was good but at times to me it didn't make any sense. But it gave a lot of information on how Sam feels about his dad and why he left for college and was trying to live a normal life and it also gives some info on their dad.
  • 90% good 10% not

I rate this episode in the middle of ok and more then good less then great. I LOVE how they usually take regular everyday legends and forklore and make them in a big battle. I think that it was pretty good because the attatchment between Sam and Matt and how Dean finds it offensive what Sam says. And I love how they had gay jokes about Sam and Dean when they're looking at the houses. Especially whan Dean pinches Sams butt.
< 1 2 3