Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• Bugs in a bad mood and father-son communication problems.

This review contains spoilers.

The brothers investigate a couple of suspicious deaths linked to a construction company. It turns out that its insects killing people. At first they think the owner’s son is behind it but after some research the brothers realize the area is cursed because of the way the natives were treated in the past. And let’s face it; nothing is scarier than a curse (or almost nothing). One thing that wasn’t scary was the scene with the spiders coming out of the shower-head. It was almost funny, it just looked so unreal. Jared and Jensen were in a room full of live bees. Wouldn’t want to experience that myself. One bug is not that scary but put a couple of hundred of them in a room and I think anyone would be scared, or at least a little bit freaked out. I mean beestings hurt. The curse-storyline is one of two told in this episode. The other one focuses on Sam and the owner’s son and how they feel misunderstood by their fathers. We get a deeper look into Sam and dean’s childhood and realize that Sam and john have had problems for a long time. Sam always felt wrongly treated because he wanted to have a normal life and not be a part of the hunter life-stile. In fact they haven’t spoken to each other in several years.
    Sam: "Well dad never treated you like that, you were perfect. Has was all over my case. You don't remember?"
    Dean: "Well, maybe he had to raise his voice, but sometimes you were out of line."
    Sam: "Right! Right, like when I said I'd rather play soccer than learn bow hunting."
    Dean: "Bow hunting's an important skill!"
    I think this scene is a classic. The scene where Dean tells Sam that their father checked up on him at Stanford without him knowing it was great. The look on Sam’s face. At that moment it hits him that John was only trying to protect him and that he didn’t even try to understand his father.
    One of my favorite scenes in the entire first season is in this episode. Sam and Dean talk to construction company employees at the BBQ and are several times taken for a couple. Priceless!
    Larry: "Let me just say: We accept home owners of any race, religion, color or...sexual orientation."
    Dean: "We're brothers."
    ...some time later...
    Real Estate Agent: "We accept home owners of all races, religions, colors or sexual orientation."
    Dean: "Right! Uh, I'm going to talk to Larry. Okay, honey?"
    And the fact that he smacks Sam on the butt! Doesn’t matter that I’ve seen it many times before it always makes me laugh out laud.
    Not a great episode but some scenes lift the entire story and make it worth watching!
CW