Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• This episode was fantastic up until the ending, which kind of killed the story for me.

5.5
    "Supernatural" has very few episodes I would consider unenjoyable, and this one is no exception. The storyline follows strange deaths (as do most of their episodes in season one) that are related to, as per the title, bugs. While exploring the mystery of the strange deaths in a newly built subdivision, Dean and Sam are twice mistaken for a couple, which provides humorous moments. The familial tension between Dean and Sam is apparent in this episode as they meet a 16-year-old boy who doesn't get along with his father. Sam advises the boy that he can leave home in 2 years, and this angers Dean who is still upset that Sam left home for college.

As usual the tension between the brothers is apparent but not over done, which adds to the story nicely and while developing the characters of Dean and Sam a little bit more.

I scored this episode fairly low for a couple of reasons. The first is a small complaint that I almost never have with Supernatural, and that is the special effects were pretty cheesy. The spiders in the shower are blatantly CGI, and the spiders that fall from the towel are obviously rubber spiders. I can easily over look these problems. However, the most glaring problem I noted was towards the end of the episode when Sam and Dean are at the house to rescue the family. They say it is midnight when they arrive, so they obviously have several hours (around 6 or so) before dawn. Then they are chased throughout the house by the bees and Wham/Ta Da! it is dawn. I even watched this episode a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing some allusion of time passing, and I am sad to say that I didn't miss it because it wasn't there. Not cool, and a problem that could have been easily fixed a million different ways. It was a cop out ending that left me disappointed.

Other than the last few minutes, it was a great episode, but shoddy writing for the ending really mars the overall quality of the ep.