Supernatural

Bugs

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2005 on The CW

• A Bug's Life

Given the content of this episode, I was more than ready to state how much the storyline bugged me (I simply couldn't pass it up), but I really liked this one. It's not must-watch TV or anything, but it's a brief preview of the kind of formula Supernatural perfects in later seasons – a mix of stand-alone fare with the overall arc streaming through it. Sam empathizing with Matt's father issues gave the overall storyline a bit more gravity, although some of the Dean/Sam dialogue felt rather hammy. The budget clearly couldn't afford the effects the show needed to make the bug attack in anyway threatening (we see thousands of unrealistic bugs one minute and then only a few real ones the next); having said that, when the show uses real spiders and roaches – yeeesh!! The late Kim Manners did a wonderful job with the material given; adding depth to a story that could have crumbled in the hands of a less capable director, some of his shots looked amazing. I also got a giggle out of the realtors assuming Dean and Sam were a gay couple, with Dean calling Sam 'Honey' and patting him on the bum. A solid episode.
CW