Supernatural

Clip Show

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 08, 2013 on The CW

• Don't like where this is going (Spoilers)

After so many great (some perfect even) episodes this was a big let down. I liked the concept of making the stakes much higher from Crowley and the beginning of the episode (Castiel shopping but that's pretty much it. The scene with Abaddon - her escape was just stupid writing - the brothers would have never left her alone in an open place (especially when they have just discovered their own dungeon - why the heck would they put her back together in some hangar in the first place). And the deal with Metatron - why are we going down the same road as before? If Metatron ends up corrupting Castiel this will be just stupid because this kind of thing was already explored THREE times - with Crowley, Leviathan and Naomi. In the previous episode I really wanted Metatron to be a new character - but now I hope he will just be killed off in the finale so we don't have to watch the same thing the fourth time.
  • Clip Show (Spoilers Ahead)

In Season 8's penultimate episode we see a lot of moving pieces finally getting mated (yay chess terminology) or Kinged as Castiel and the Winchesters do their darnedest to complete their respective trials. Castiel is approached by Metatron, while hilariously out on a run getting all of Dean's favorite things to apologize for the angel tablet running thing, to complete the three trials for the angel tablet to give the angels a little "time out" to work out their problems. The trials for the angel tablet smartly were the exact same as the demon tablet ones in which Castiel had to kill a half angel/half human of which there is only one on Earth. The reveal that this half breed was uber powerful and able to do so much to Metatron showed the strength inherent in the self preservation department of the half breed until Cass put an angel knife through its neck. Dean was justifiably angry at Cass for not trusting him with the angel tablet thing though, as Dean left him behind in the bunker to heal and effectively stay out of the way. But it was great how they still incorporated Cass into a reflective Winchester effort as I think we can somewhat agree the angels could use some isolation to work out their issues. Metatron seems quite emphatic that he's only a paper-pusher who only now decided to get involved in Heavenly issues. Sam and Dean's past efforts come back to haunt them as people they had previously saved, their "justification for sleeping" as Crowley puts it, are systematically killed off to force them to give up the trials until all that they've saved over the years are dead. Having the Carver books pop back up in this way was a pretty good callback as well as they were used for such as dastardly effort on Crowley's part. Sam and Dean look into the "saving" of a demon, going back to the mythos that demons are only twisted human souls in Hell, and find an exorcism by a father given resources by the Men of Letters, in old found footage fashion that shows a demon they know (Abaddon) being exorcised. But it doesn't go as planned because they recognize the body of the young woman that Abaddon had later possessed to go after their grandfather. Sam and Dean find the living priest from the video reel and find that he had tried many seemingly successful exorcisms until being killed by Abaddon. But for the trial to work they need a demon and since Crowley seems so intent on shutting them off from all things Hell-related knowing of the first two trials he doesn't send any demons their way so they put Abaddon back together again just like Humpty Dumpty. After putting her back together she threatens them and Dean gets a phone call, and smartly decides to leave her alone without Sam or anyone watching so that she's able to reattach her arms and escape before they come back. Nice work boys, not exactly your smartest moment but I guess we can't have them completing the trial so early but at the same time it felt downright lazy writing wise since her arms were left right next to her. An old flame of Sam's, Sarah from Providence with the haunted painting from Season 1, pops up and reveals her new happiness with a husband and kid as Sam and Dean tracked her down to stop her from dying at Crowley's hand. What followed was just bringing her back to kill her which felt drastically unfair as she choked out and the hex bag was literally right in the phone Crowley called them as they pathetically scramble to look for it. This leaves the Winchesters up the river but without a demon, leaving them with very little time to complete the trial and to find and stop Crowley. This is the second such time I feel we've seen Crowley get really serious since Season 6's finale in which he captured Dean's old girlfriend and son to get Dean to back down, a gesture in which you think he would know the Winchesters don't do after all their time fighting one another you'd think at least.
  • Memory Lane

Hello again,

Not reviewed anything in a while. Not because I have stopped watching, but I simply was too busy. I don't want to go too much into recent events, as I'm saving that for a massive rambling Season 8 in full review next week, so instead I'll simply focus on the events of this episode.

For the Penultimate one, it was definitely enjoyable, taking all the elements that have worked in season 8 and showing they were all leading somewhere. It was nice that, once again, the bad guys are targeting old cases that Sam and Dean have been on to get to them. Those books that Chuck wrote have returned to bite them in the arse and I'm glad they haven't been forgotten about. Crowley can have a field day with them! I can jus imagine him getting all excited when he reads that scene he appears in, apparently, in season 3. You know, the one we didn't get to see :(, where Lillith gives the Colt to him (a gun long absent!!!). While I wished they could have gone more into this, there was a hell of a lot happening in this episode so it didn't really have much time to breath. I felt especially sorry for Martin, who's awful experience with the Wendigo had left him petrified to step into the woods. Poor, poor sap. As for Sarah... well this is an interesting one. Does anyone else feel like this was originally going to be Amelia? Like they came up with this idea ages ago and intended to bring that arc full circle by having Crowley kill her instead? Except, the fan reaction to that arc was so negative they quickly changed their minds? It would make sense, considering the whole bad guys going after past cases thing they've done quite recently, and it's not like Supernatural to deliberately repeat itself. So, they created this storyline and brough back Sarah... the only living girl Sam has slept with in the past 8 years aside from Amelia. Poor bloke. Just can't catch a break.

But, there were issues with this episode, I'm not going to lie. Season 8 has 23 episodes, guys. So, why the hell did it feel like they crammed FAR too much into this one? All the ideas in it are great, but there is just too much going on!!

Take the Cure a Demon storyline. Love it as an idea! It's something they've never tackled before and it finds yet more ways to keep demons fresh. However, for the first time this week the Men of Letters stuff was actually the weakest part. So, the brothers need to cure a demon, something they didn't even know was possible? No problem. The Men of Letters have notes, videos and even a bloody provided dungeon for them! I've really liked this development this year... in fact I've loved it, yet if they make it too convienant I can't see it lasting that long, and I think there is much more that can be done with it! Ultimately, it seemed that they didn't have a lot of time to get this idea going properly, which is why they used the Men of Letters a little too much here.

But, even that pales, literally PALES in comparison to the Human/Angel child. Another really intriguing and brilliant idea... wasted on one episode, and not even the main plot of it. Aside from Dean and Anna (when Anna was human) we've never seen any indication of Angels and humans falling in love. Castiel is useless in that department and the rest of them are mindless soldiers made so by Naomi. Besides, before 2009 Angels were not even supposed to be on Earth. So, how did this girl come to be? Why? A human with Angel powers, who kicked the collective arses of 2 full angels, could have been a superb addition to the fold, at least as a recurring character before they ultimately killed her off. And yet, this massive shake up to the Angel mythology was, again, footnoted in a much too busy episode.

So, that is my major issue. Too many brilliant ideas struggling for room, creating an okay episode that could have been much better. The final awaits, as does season 9. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of plot points left overhanging into the new season which is fine as long as there is some sort of closure next week. Each season of Supernatural has always had its own storyline, even if each storyline was connected to the previous seasons. Season 1: Find Dad. Season 2: Stop Azazel's Children. Season 3: Save Dean. Season 4: Stop the Seals being broken. Season 5: Defeat Lucifer. Season 6: Finding Purgatory. Season 7: Stop the Leviathons. Season 8: Close the Gates of Hell. Therefore, Season 9 does need it's own identity, and not just be Season 8 part 2. Still... let's see what happens.
  • Clip Show

Clip Show was an awesome episode of Supernatural. I liked the story lines and how everything came together. It was interesting to see Sam and Dean discover more at their new headquarters. Many faces from the past resurface and lead to pain and suffering. Metatron and Castiel had some good discussion. It was intriguing to learn that all realms can be locked down. I liked how things played out and look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

• Slowly getting there!

I really liked today's ep,though I hate the way Dean was treating poor Cas,but what can we say,he definetely has his reasons. So now Cas is going to take the trials of Heaven,that sound ominous,even more if we take in account season finale's name "Sacrifice". Well,but even if he or Sam die,which will probably going to happen,we all know only very few stay dead on that show. BTW,Nephilim (the offspring of angel+human), first time I've ever heard of ep. just ended and you can find it already mention on Wikipedia,SPN fans definetely a dedicated lot :)
  • Something doesn't fit

Do you remember the first episoden of season 8? As Dean got back from purgatory, we saw Sam standing up from lying in his bed beside Amelia. Shouldn't she have been with Don already at that time? So how comeSam as with her?

Besides that, when Sam went out of his and Amelia's house in the same episode, someone had been watching him. Could be that I somehow missed it if it was already revealed who the strange guy watching Sam was, but if not: Who could it have been?
  • Dean Whining

We could have been spared another scene of Dean pouting and whining about Castiel not being there the instant Dean snaps his fingers. Newsflash to Dean,,,Castiel's been rather busy being tortured by Naomi! Other than that,,,great ep! Up until this episode, the most evil, creepiest, and scariest demon for me was Alastair,,, the Thor Heyerdahl version of Alastair. This episodes Crowley by Mark Sheppard just surpassed Heyerdahl's Alastair. I hope Crowley isn't done away with. I want him back next season!

• Old Faces, Hello and Goodbye :( Yet Awesome Episode

This was a great episode! nice seeing all the old faces from previous seasons, especially sarah. I'm a little sad that she's dead now cause i was hoping she would return as a new love interest for sam. i guess sam's not meant to have a functioning relationship. plus, cas and metatron team up to take on the trials of heaven. i'm excited to see where that takes us, but i miss the sam, dean, and cas together. hopefully, the trio will reunite and kick some ass next season. Crowley showed just how much of an evil son of a bitch he is and the monologue on the phone while sarah was dying was some of the best that mark sheppard has done in supernatural history! great episode and can't wait to see how it all ends this season!
  • Really hitting new highs at season's end

Wow, what another fantastic episode! I wondered what would happen to top last week's but this did it. The guys are trying to figure out how to have Sam save a demon and come up with a real doozy bringing back a chopped up demon to try. They also investigate the background of a priest who managed to figure it out as well. And finally Crowley really puts the heat on them killing off people they had saved in the past and with one particularly emotional death. Finally Metatron is getting Cas to follow his plan to save heaven which will require Cas to do some things he might not normally do. It ends with the guys in a real quagmire deciding how to handle Crowley and Cas and Metatron beginning their mission to save heaven. And I really got a kick out of Cas shopping at a quickie mart, I told my wife, you don't want angels shopping in your store!